Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Final Problem (Apparatus)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Rhen Var

The iceball of a world was dotted with old Sith Temples. Now that Ashin ruled this territory, she had renovated one of them as a home away from home.

This was not that one. This particular temple was run-down, choked with ice and mummified tuk'ata. As a reminder of both past glories and the futility of ambition, it sent a mixed message. Her invitation to Darth Apparatus -- possibly the most powerful Sith Master in the Empire -- had been simple enough: The name of the long-dead Dark Lord who had made his crypt here. Apparatus undoubtedly had access to sources of information just as good as hers. He would know where to meet her.

She waited, barefoot on cold stone, her clothes thin. Her breath clouded the air, but if she felt the cold, she showed no sign of it. In truth, her experience with the ancient art of tapas was considerable. A frigid ruin was nothing.

But she wasn't using tapas to keep herself warm. This was nothing more or less than an exercise in self-discipline.

Due to the simple summons, Darth Apparatus arrived at the temple on Rhen Var in a punctual manner. He wore the same attire he always had. Due to his crimson mask, no mist formed as he exhaled. In fact, it took more than the casual glance to tell that he was even breathing.

Standing at the mouth of the temple, Darth Apparatus saw Ashin waiting. A dull, simmering feeling of annoyance permeated through the Force - originating from the Darth.

"Stat̕e y҉o͝ur b̵u͘s͡ine̕s͘s̨," called out Darth Apparatus.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Ashin turned to the mouth of the ruined temple and unfolded her arms, looping her thumbs through her belt. Her eyes narrowed as she took in her fellow Darth's impassive visage. “My business is simple enough,” she said, just loud enough for him to hear if he had the normal senses of a humanoid. She wasted no breath inviting him in, or dwelling on pleasantries. “I intend to challenge Darth Moridin to single combat in his throne room on Dromund Kaas. You and I have worked together before, but I feel we are...largely unknown quantities to each other. You've seen me stand against the best Reyven Samoth has to offer; you've seen me tear down entire facilities to crush my enemies. There is, of course, no way to determine before the fact whether my strength is enough to best Moridin.”

She approached the temple entrance, as one who had little to prove.

“I won't waste breath asking for your support, nor do I need it. Take this advisement in whatever light strikes your fancy, Darth. You might consider it an offer of continued cooperation once the Empire is mine. You might also take it as a warning against interference, though my associates will prevent that, and whatever else you may be, you don't strike me as petty. Alternatively, you could consider it an invitation to try my strength personally, either now or once Moridin is defeated.” She came to a halt just within lightsabre range, thumbs still hooked in her belt. “In fact, take my forewarning in whatever way will best ensure that, when the day comes, you do not oppose me. So far as I'm able to determine, Darth, you are one of the few who understands the truth of the Sith ideals: That you and I will do whatever is necessary to achieve exactly what each of us wants, whatever that may be. For me, the goal is a universe of order. For you...well, you're somewhat of an enigma. I suppose there's a chance that our ultimate goals are mutually exclusive.

”That is, however, for you to determine. I'll take your answer, now.”

Without any movement to indicate any type of response, Darth Apparatus silently listened to Ashin. The wind bat against his midnight black cloak. Being covered by it, Ashin would have had no method of visually telling where the Darth placed his hands - whether at his side or on his lightsabers.

An uncomfortable lull followed Ashin's last words. All that could be heard from the Darth was periodic breaths that could barely be heard through his mask.

Eventually, this calm did end when the Sith Lord opened his mouth to ask, "T̡h͞at͟'s ̶it̕?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"That's it. Oppose me, support me, or stand aside. I doubt you have designs on the throne yourself, but sooner or later, someone will make the attempt on Moridin. Would you really want to live in an Empire ruled by the Lord of Gluttony -- or by Reyven Samoth? I am better. At everything. I will rule this Empire, and you have your choice to make."

"D͘o wha̶t ̡y̵òư w̢i͢ļl, ͜th̢en͢," advised Darth Apparatus.

"K͢ill ҉t̵h̸oşe̸ t̛h͞at ͝opp̢o̕se ̧you,̢" he continued, as if Ashin's plans did not offend him in the slightest, "S͜ub̧du͡ing ́th̷em̶ w͟ill t̵a͟k͏e m͞ore th͝a͜n ̡d̢e͟feàt̴in̛g̨ M̷oŕi̡d̀i̢n."

The true reasons for the Darth seemingly approving of the coup were not readily available for Ashin.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Ashin nodded, slowly and deliberately. "I intend to kill Moridin -- and whoever challenges me. That much should go without saying. I've gone under the guise of a Dark Jedi during my time here, Apparatus, but make no mistake -- like you, I have every right to claim the title of Dark Lord of the Sith. That right will only be strengthened the more Masters oppose me. As I told you once before, you are one of the few I would dignify with a personal response. I have other Masters on my side who will handle the lightweights."

"Ỳoư ̶wi͠ll̛ find t͠h͢e ͏e͜x͟per̸i̕enc͜e͠ ̢t͝o be҉ di͡f̛ferent͟ ̴tha͏ņ ̸yo̸u i͠m͘agin̢e,͏" replied the Darth, "W͞h̢e͝ţher̛ ́bý ͏M̢ori͟di͡n͢'s͞ r̸es͏p̢o͘n҉s̀e, ͘o̕r͝ wh͟at̛ o̷cc̛ųr͢s͡ du̡ri̶ng͠, or͘ ͟wh͝a͠t͝ ͜co̕mȩs a̴fţȩŗ."

Then, with a slight tilt of his head, Darth Apparatus said, "But̡ ̕th̨i̢s ͏shou̷l͝d҉ ceŗt͞a̕i̶ǹly ͡en҉te͡rta̧in͘ ̢m͝e."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"I wasn't aware you were the sort to be entertained. I do hope my flailing about in the dark will properly amuse you." Ashin's expression might have been a sneer, or perhaps a smirk. "But yes, I'll be sure to expect the unexpected. My...thanks for that, Darth.

"I have one request of you," she added after a moment. "In my time as a Sith Master I was known as Darth Ashera, but it was never a true Darth name, and my masters never obliged. Now I have surpassed them all, and I have no desire to invent my own. You are one of the few members of the Empire I would consider an equal. I would request that you give me such a name."

Silence returned after Ashin's request. The Darth righted his head. It seemed as if he did take time to think of an appropriate answer. One of the rumors surrounding Darth Apparatus was that, despite being aloof, he treasured the traditions of the Sith. A sign of such a trait was that Darth Apparatus would frequently kill those that deviated too far from what he viewed as "Sith-like" behavior.

"D͝ąrt́h̢ ̵Desm̛i͢us," said Darth Apparatus, "T͢h͞at́ sha҉l̨l͢ b̵e y̴oưr͜ ҉na̶me fr͡om̧ ̨now ̴on̕,̴ ̸le͡s͡t ̶you͠ den̡y ͏b͡ein͘g ͠a ͡S͘įth́."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Ashin nodded -- not quite a bow, slightly more than an acknowledgement -- in recognition of the moment.

"Then I am Darth Desmius. The Binder, and the Bound."

"Th̀e͠n I ͝as̸su̧m͝e ͘we҉ ̡a͟r͟ȩ fini͟sh͝e̢d҉,͡" said Darth Apparatus as he began to turn away to leave.

Saying one last thing before either departing from this world or upon Desmius's protest, Darth Apparatus then said, "I ̢wil҉l ̨b̶e͘ ͏t̸he̵r͟e ͠to w͝itn͠es̀s y̵o͏u ͡try̵ to t̶ake ̴thè ́t͡ḩr͢o̴n͏e.̛ Do ̨n̛ot d̸isap͢p͢o͝int̡."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom