Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship The Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
U2Fy6Tc.png
Image Source: Here
Affiliation: Kurt Meyer
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems, Kurt Meyer
Model: TIE/IN Interceptor
Modularity: Highly
Production: Unique
Material: Fiberplast, Titanium
Classification: Interceptor
Length: 9.6m
Height: 11m
Width: 8.7m

Armament: 11
  • 2 Twin Maser Cannons
  • 4 Wing Tip Blaster Cannons
  • 2 Variable Missile Launchers
Defenses: 1
Special Features:
  • Heavily Upgraded Engines
  • Light Frame
  • Anti-Sensor Coating
  • Stealth Drive
  • Advanced Targeting System
  • VT-Nerve Helm System
Maneuverability Rating: .50
Speed Rating: .20
Hyperdrive Class: None

Strengths:
The Actual Fastest Ship In The Galaxy: As seems to be a running theme with ships built flown by Kurt Meyer, The Coil is objectively the fastest ship in the galaxy. The vessel from the ground up was designed and built for speed and maneuverability. The original hull design was created in for the Imperials to act as an interceptor to beat fast ships like the A-Wing, for the upgraded prototype that would become The Coil this design philosophy was doubled, with the ion engines being heavily upgraded, the frame being made lighter, and the power generator being replaced with a new experimental prototype. This all made the ship fast, faster then previously though possibly. Of course when Kurt got his hands on it, the ship was further played with, and after a bit of crossed wiring made even faster then before. The vessel is now capable of insane speeds, going so fast as to make it nearly impossible to control by normal reflexes, hence Kurt installing the VT-Nerve Helm System, allowing him to fly the ship without injuring himself.

Purpose Built: The Coil was purpose built as a hunting vessel. It wasn't made to strike at heavy capital ships, it wasn't made to go on bombing runs, The Coil was designed to win dogfights. The ship was crafted to be fast, maneuverable, and absolutely deadly. It's weapon systems were designed to kill starfighters, it's engines were designed specifically to work in constant overdrive, it's stealth drive adding additional evasive options. With the right pilot at the helm The Coil is in theory capable of taking on any pilot, in any vessel, at any time, albeit very carefully.

Weaknesses:
Squishy: Despite it's claim to fame as such a fast vessel, The Coil is incredibly structurally unsound. The vessel is unable to reach it's maximum speed in the atmosphere, as the forces of gravity would quite literally tear it apart. This same concept of course goes to combat as well. Though it is fast, and capable of dodging most strikes, if something does hit The Coil that hit tends to be very deadly, causing immediate problems. Any strike from a torpedo or even minor glancing blow from a fighters laser cannons can cause irreversible and serious damage to the ship, with the former rendering the ship destroyed.

Fuel: Of course, because of the nature of the vessel The Coil tends to burn an insane amount of fuel. The way the ship operates means that it requires an incredible amount of power, and that means that the generator is basically running on overdrive the entire time the ship is flying. This means that The Coil's hour of operation is far shorter then one might expect from a starfighter of it's size. Whereas a regular TIE Interceptor could perhaps operate for a day or so without refueling, The Coil at max performance will only last a maximum of three hours. This means that for extended space battles The Coil must land and refuel, it also makes it so The Coil must nearly always be with a support craft, especially since it has no internal hyperdrive.

Description:
The Coil as the ship would come to be known was a highly upgraded, highly modified version of the TIE/IN fighter originally designed and created by Sienar for the Galactic Empire.

The vessel in it's original state was designed as a prototype, a further advancement of the TIE/IN. The ship was created to match the Rebel Alliance's high performance ships like the A-wing and other faster and 'stronger' vessels. Though the project never really came to fruition during the time of the Empire the vessel was eventually built, and then placed into storage in one of the Emperor's old store houses in the outer rim. There it was eventually discovered and reclaimed by the servants of Thrawn, the Empire of the Hand. The vessel was then taken by them to a remote outpost bunker where it was studied and further upgraded with certain Chiss technologies.

Eventually, the vessel was again put away into storage, the ship being a singular example of it's kind. The Empire of the Hand deemed the project a success, having reduced the weight of the craft, and added new weaponry in the form of masers instead of lasers. In addition the Empire of Hand also designed a stealth drive for the vessel. Though previous ships worked on Stygium or Hybridium cloaks, this vessel instead worked off of refracting panels. That is so say when activated the panels across the vessel refracted light coming onto it, meaning that in a dark environment where light is scarce anyway it made the ship completely disappear. Despite this advanced technology, the stealth drive was only able to operate under certain parameters. Due to its nature and power draw the drive could only work for five seconds at a time before shutting off, the system then needs to cooldown for thirty seconds(Every two posts).

The Anti-sensor coating allowed it to remain hidden from sensors. Despite this success however, the vessel itself was deemed far too expensive to produce on a mass scale, and as such it was better to place the ship into storage once more. The TIE was placed into an auxiliary hanger within the Bunker alongside several other abandoned projects.

It was there, within the Auxiliary hanger that the ship was eventually discovered by Kurt Meyer and Kaileann Vera.

The two had been stumbling around the Bunker, causing mischief and eventually finding their way to the hangar. Kurt recognized the vessel for what it was, and eventually decided to take the ship with them when they departed the ancient outpost.

From there, the vessel was taken to Tatooine, where Kurt, Kaile, and Kurt's father quickly began working on the ship in their off time. Whenever they returned to Tatooine, or whenever his father had the time, The Coil was slowly but surely changed and upgraded. It's already considerable engines were upgraded, certain 'unnecessary' armor panels were removed, and gradually the ship was molded into a vessel that Kurt saw as the ultimate ideal in Starfighter technology.

Eventually, after copious amounts of upgrading, tinkering, and changing of systems Kurt and Kaile discovered that the ship had become too fast, with even Kurt being unable to properly manage the craft at top speeds. The two eventually decided that a system that was aboard The Messa would need to be installed aboard the new TIE. Through many hours of grueling work the two slowly installed a VT-Nerve Helm system aboard the ship, allowing Kurt complete and absolute control over the Vessel. It was during this that Kurt gave the ship it's name, eventually dubbing it The Coil after one of the last parts of the Boonta Eve Classic circuit, one of the more difficult turns to manage within the race.

This was the final modification to be made on the ship, the last piece that the two put in place. Kurt and Kaile left Tatooine, doing what they always did.

When they next returned to Tatooine, to put the finishing touches upon their pet project, they found the vessel painted. Kurt's father, having long believed in his son and knowing of Kaile's own efforts on the vessel had taken the liberty to give the ship it's unique black and white color scheme, placing the modified symbol of the Galactic Alliance on the front of the ship. Upon seeing this Kurt simply smiled, a decision already made.

Development Thread: Here(Pg. 10+ Is Relevant)
Intent: To give Kurt a suitable Starfighter.
Who Can Use This: Kurt Meyer, Kaileann Vera(If she asks nice), Jamie Pyne(If she lets Kurt...nevermind).
Primary Source: N/A

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer said:
Armament: 15 2 Twin Maser Cannons 4 Wing Tip Blaster Cannons 2 Variable Missile Launchers
this is alot of firepower for a craft this small. It has the armament of a gunship on a 9 meter frame. The mass added by the exrta weapons would make it impossible to maneuver this good.

I know it has a ton of development but it needs to be brought more into a scope that makes sense and is balanced. Space is cool but momentum and mass vs tractor force and a weak hull would make this a fireball.

This falls into an Interceptor class of craft and that gives it bonuses in speed and maneuvering but you have to pay for it with armament.

How would you feel about making the speed .3, Maneuvering .75 and dropping the armament to 10? that would make this as fast as anything out there and reflect its weapons load and maneuvering more realistic while still making this the best thing out there.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Reshmar"]

I feel those edits would be unrealistic.

First, it does not have the weapons of a gunship. The weapon amount was based off of the later refitted TIE interceptor, though i replaced twin laser cannons with two Masers. The craft doesnt have better weapons then a standard canon interceptor but it does have way better engines and a lighter frame. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/IN_interceptor

As for the speed and maneuverability, i would be okay with dropping it some but youre asking me to drop it to only slightly faster then The Messa and equally more maneuverable. The Messa is a ship thats three times the size of The Coil so that wouldnt make much sense. I would be more than willing to edit but it needs to be at least logical.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/76647-the-messa/

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Kurt Meyer"] I will be denying this because it is very unbalanced. Please feel free to second chance it. The concessions I was making are the limit I am comfortable giving and I was only going this low because of the excessive amount of development provided. This has a much higher armament then a gunship at 30 meters and ridiculous speed and maneuvering.

My reasons.

An interceptor
Classification: Interceptor
Length: 12m
Height: 3m
Width: 4m
Armament: Rating 8
2 Laser Cannons
2 Concussion missile launchers (2 each)
Defense: 8
Squadron Count: 12
Special Features:
Manoeuvrability Rating: 1
Speed Rating: 2
Hyperdrive Class: 1

a gunship
Classification: Gunship
Length: 30m
Height: 6m
Width: 8m
Armament: Rating 14
4 Laser Cannons
Twin Laser Cannon Turret
3 Proton Torpedo launchers (4 each)
Defense: 14
Squadron Count: 6
Special Features:
Manoeuvrability Rating: 5
Speed Rating: 5
Hyperdrive Class: 2

Reshmar has already listed the typical statistics of an Interceptor.

We don't hold ships to the cookie cutter builds any more, but they're a good starting point.

In your favour the ship is unique and has a good quantity of development behind it.

Kurt Meyer said:
Armament: 15 2 Twin Maser Cannons 4 Wing Tip Blaster Cannons 2 Variable Missile Launchers
Can you drop the rating to about 10. Can you please note somewhere in the description that the blaster cannons are less effective than a typical laser cannon. You can keep the rating of 15 and list them as laser cannons, but will need to suggest additional sacrifices elsewhere on top of those already made.

Can you please give an example loadout or two to show the capacity of the launchers? I expect this to be small given the size of the ship.

Kurt Meyer said:
Defenses: 5 Military Shield

Kurt Meyer said:
Squishy: Despite it's claim to fame as such a fast vessel, The Coil is incredibly structurally unsound. The vessel is unable to reach it's maximum speed in the atmosphere, as the forces of gravity would quite literally tear it apart. This same concept of course goes to combat as well. Though it is fast, and capable of dodging most strikes, if something does hit The Coil that hit tends to be very deadly, causing immediate problems. This is somewhat mitigated by the single shield generator placed upon the ship, but any strike form a torpedo or even a glancing blow from a turbo-laser would likely cause the vessel to be out of commission.

The number here doesn't seem to quite tie up with the description. Most fighters will get wasted by a torpedo or a turbolaser. If you want this to be approved on the basis of being squishy you're going to have to tone up the language here and relate it to typical fighter laser weaponry as well. I assume the shield here will maybe deflect a glancing laser canon blow before it's gone?

Kurt Meyer said:
Maneuverability Rating: .15 Speed Rating: .10
There's a sort of diminishing returns policy here. 1 is easy to achieve with a light loadout. 0.5 means pushing down production and development and sacrifices. Please change these to 0.25 and 0.8 (or some similar combo) based on the changes outlined above.

If you want more, please suggest some additional weaknesses over and above what is already listed.

Kurt Meyer said:
It's weapon systems were designed to kill starfighters, it's engines were designed to dodge nearly any weapons fire, and it's stealth drive was specifically designed to allow the ship to disappear. With the right pilot at the helm The Coil is in theory capable of taking on any pilot, in any vessel, at any time.
Unless this is toned down a little, it basically completely overrides any weaknesses you've listed.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
Raziel said:
Can you drop the rating to about 10. Can you please note somewhere in the description that the blaster cannons are less effective than a typical laser cannon. You can keep the rating of 15 and list them as laser cannons, but will need to suggest additional sacrifices elsewhere on top of those already made.
I don't want them as laser Canons, as I stated earlier the weapons were taken from the Wookieepedia page of the TIE/IN interceptor and remain unchanged save for the replacement of two Laser Cannons with two Maser Cannons. I'm not sure why I have to detail that Blaster cannons are less powerful when this is a canon fact but I will do so.

As for the warheads, again this is taken from the Canon Wookieepedia page. I imagine this would be Proton Torpedos, Concussion Missiles, and other things along those lines...not ICBM's.

Raziel said:
The number here doesn't seem to quite tie up with the description. Most fighters will get wasted by a torpedo or a turbolaser. If you want this to be approved on the basis of being squishy you're going to have to tone up the language here and relate it to typical fighter laser weaponry as well. I assume the shield here will maybe deflect a glancing laser canon blow before it's gone?

Raziel said:
There's a sort of diminishing returns policy here. 1 is easy to achieve with a light loadout. 0.5 means pushing down production and development and sacrifices. Please change these to 0.25 and 0.8 (or some similar combo) based on the changes outlined above.
To address these two points I've removed the shield entirely, updated the description, and dropped the Speed and Maneuverability to .2 and .5 respectively. I believe this is both fair and a middle agreement while also keeping the ship both faster and more maneuverable then The Messa which is what I was basing the speed off of(It doesn't make sense to me that a larger ship would be more maneuverable).

Raziel said:
Unless this is toned down a little, it basically completely overrides any weaknesses you've listed.
I've edited the stealth drive so it can only work for periods of 5 seconds with a 30 second cooldown on each use(equated to every two posts). I think this is a fair compromise as it's not an immediate cop out nor can the ship disappear forever. In my opinion this takes away a lot of the advantages of the stealth drive and renders it simply more of an evasive tool rather then aggressive one.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

That looks pretty sensible, but please just drop the armament rating to around 10, maybe 11 for those weapons. That's pretty similar to the firepower of an X-Wing which has that rating in the templates.

Armament: Rating 10
4 Laser Cannons
2 Proton torpedo launchers (4 each)

The rating for fighters governs a range of ships from civilian couriers up to super bombers and small freighters, so 10 is is reasonably well armed snubfighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom