Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Amulet of Drazutis

Status
Not open for further replies.
bLqASXo.jpg

Name: The Amulet of Drazutis
Intent: To create a unique Sith artifact that allows the wearer to make an inanimate object explode by focusing Sith magic on it
Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/63403-power-begets-knowledge-open-to-all-os-members/
Manufacturer: Sage Bane
Model: N/A
Affiliation: Personal
Modularity: No
Production: Unique
Material: Alchemized silver, Corusca gem

Description:
The amulet was created in the Dark Forge of the Temple of Pain by Sage Bane during a class that Sage taught on Sith Amulet-making. The amulet is made of alchemized silver and inlaid with a rare Corusca gem. A Rune of Bonding was inscribed onto the gem by Sage Bane, and then the construction was fused with additional Sith runes, etched in silver: The Rele'kelnar Rune which gives the amulet the power to make an item explode, a Sith Master Rune, which amplifies its power, and a rune called The Ur Rune, which gives the artifact added protection. Lastly, as with most alchemized trinkets, a bit of Sage’s blood was fused into the artifact to seal its power. When the crafting was complete, the fusing of the runes together with the Sith magician’s blood turned the Corusca gem a deep crimson color.

When wearing The Amulet of Draszutis, the caster can use it to destroy a small-to-medium-sized inanimate object, by causing it to physically explode. When he/she focuses on the object, he/she uses the amulet to channel dark Sith magic into beams of destructive energy to be blasted outwards from the caster's hands.

The size of the object that can fall victim to the amulet is generally no larger than the size of a large blaster pistol or small rifle. An opponent's worn gear is fair game as long as it is a small item such as a helm or gauntlet, although due to the fact that only inanimate objects are effected, the explosion causes no harm to the wearer of the target item. It also may not cause damage to additional objects surrounding the target item. Only the target item which must be intensely focused on, can be effected. For additional items to be targeted, the focusing and channeling must begin anew.

Additional Information:
  • The maximum range of the energy beam’s effect is 10 meters
  • The target object requires line of sight to cast
  • The channeling of the spell takes roughly two minutes until it is cast

• Using the necklace slightly taxes the user, therefore it has a recharge rate of twenty minutes. The amulet cannot be worn for long periods of time (for example months at a time) or else the user will suffer drain, sickness or even death.
  • The energy beam works by homing into on the object that is being concentrated on, much like a Force wound attack. So the attack cannot be dodged

• The attack uses dark Sith magic to work, so it can only be stopped by something that repels or thwarts Sith magic. An energy shield, for example, would not stop the attack

• The amulet does not effect items that are made with restricted materials such as phrik, songsteel or cortosis

• Only the target object of focus is effected by the amulet's attack. Collateral damage to additional objects or characters is not possible
Strengths:

• Lightsaber resistant: Like most alchemized artifacts, the Amulet of Drazutis is lightsaber resistant

• Resistant to lower-level Force attacks: The Ur Rune makes the amulet resistant to all but Master level Force attacks

• Sith magic: The amulet’s power comes from Sith magic, therefore it can work on Force Dead objects or objects with protection against Force attacks, i.e., Ysalamiri lizards
Weaknesses:

• Can only work on objects: The amulet only affects objects, and its powers cannot be used on any living being

• Concentration: The user needs complete focus on the object. If hit or distracted while attempting to destroy something, the channeling must begin all over again

• Must be worn: The amulet must be worn to be used. If it is not close to the user’s body, the channeling will be too weak

• Harmful to the wearer: The amulet’s destructive power, over time, will affect and physically corrupt the wearer, causing sickness and even death. Therefore the amulet cannot be worn at all times
  • Unbound magic: Although the amulet uses Sage Bane’s blood, it can be used by anyone well-versed in casting Sith magic. Since it still retains its power in the hands of another user, this aspect makes the amulet a tempting object to steal

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Sage Bane"]

Before I begin with this, I'd like to be clear that I view the one-shot destruction of another writer's gear to be the same as attempting the one-shot destruction of another writer's starship or starfighter in a naval battle.

At the end of the day, no matter what this submission states, it will always be up to the defending writer to determine if his/her items and gear get destroyed by this amulet.

Sage Bane said:
When wearing The Amulet of Draszutis, the caster can use it to destroy a small-to-medium-sized inanimate object, by causing it to physically explode. When he/she focuses on the object, he/she uses the amulet to channel dark Sith magic into beams of destructive energy to be blasted outwards from the caster's hands.

What is the maximum range of this effect?
Does it require direct line of sight?
Can it be dodged?
Does energy shielding stop this energy?
Do Force Barriers stop this energy?
Does a Ysalamiri field stop this energy?
Can this "beam of energy" be used to do anything other that destroy a single object?

You state that the object explodes... How powerful is the explosion?
Would the explosion damage near or adjacent object or characters?
If this is being used against a worn or held object, would the explosive destruction of the targeted object damage the wearer/holder?

Sage Bane said:
The size of the object that can fall victim to the amulet is generally no larger than the size of a large blaster pistol or small rifle.
Beyond size, is there any other restriction on what can and can not be targeted by the effects of this artifact?
Can this be used against gear worn/held by other characters?
Can this be used against, say, a helmet?
What effect does this amulet have against objects made from restricted materials?

Sage Bane said:
Concentration: The user needs complete focus on the object. If hit or distracted while attempting to destroy something, the channeling must begin all over again
The description gives no mention to "channeling" this ability. What is required to channel the ability, and roughly how long does it take to channel the effect?
Does using this ability tax the user?
Is there a limit to how often this ability can be used?
Is there any sort of cool down period between bursts, or can this simply be repeated again and again?

War Hydra said:
[member="Sage Bane"]
Before I begin with this, I'd like to be clear that I view the one-shot destruction of another writer's gear to be the same as attempting the one-shot destruction of another writer's starship or starfighter in a naval battle.

At the end of the day, no matter what this submission states, it will always be up to the defending writer to determine if his/her items and gear get destroyed by this amulet.
Absolutely understood :)

A few of your questions above were answered in my initial submission, for example:

Do Force Barriers stop this energy?
Does a Ysalamiri field stop this energy?
and this question:

What is required to channel the ability,
Those three questions were all addressed in the "strengths" section of my submission here:

Strengths:

• Lightsaber resistant: Like most alchemized artifacts, the Amulet of Drazutis is lightsaber resistant

• Resistant to lower-level Force attacks: The Ur Rune makes the amulet resistant to all but Master level Force attacks

• Sith magic: The amulet’s power comes from Sith magic, therefore it can work on Force Dead objects or objects with protection against Force attacks, i.e., Ysalamiri lizards
As for this question:

Can this "beam of energy" be used to do anything other that destroy a single object?
I believe I answered it here in the "weaknesses" section, but if you need more clarification, please let me know:

• Can only work on objects: The amulet only affects objects, and its powers cannot be used on any living being
I shall get the rest of your questions answered, and let you know when edits have been made.

[member="War Hydra"]

I have made edits to the submission by adding a section called "Additional Information." I believe that I answered the rest of your questions in this section, included here for ease of review:

Additional Information:
  • The maximum range of the energy beam’s effect is 10 meters
  • The target object requires line of sight to cast
  • The channeling of the spell takes roughly two minutes until it is cast

• Using the necklace slightly taxes the user, therefore it has a recharge rate of twenty minutes. The amulet cannot be worn for long periods of time (for example months at a time) or else the user will suffer drain, sickness or even death.
  • The energy beam works by homing into on the object that is being concentrated on, much like a Force wound attack. So the attack cannot be dodged

• The attack uses dark Sith magic to work, so it can only be stopped by something that repels or thwarts Sith magic. An energy shield, for example, would not stop the attack

• The amulet does not effect items that are made with restricted materials such as phrik, songsteel or cortosis

• Only the target object of focus is effected by the amulet's attack. Collateral damage to additional objects or characters is not possible
There was only one question I wasn't sure how to answer.

You state that the object explodes... How powerful is the explosion?
My physics knowledge is a bit rusty :p, but I think it would depend highly on the materials of target object. I imagine that wood would splinter and durasteel would burst, but to be honest, it's simply not an area I have that kind of knowledge in. That being said, the intent of the amulet is to destroy the target object, not to use it as a grenade. Since the amulet only affects the target item, and does not do collateral damage, (as specified in my edits) the power of the explosion is probably irrelevant.

As for your questions here:

Would the explosion damage near or adjacent object or characters?
If this is being used against a worn or held object, would the explosive destruction of the targeted object damage the wearer/holder?
In the weaknesses section, I describe the amulet as only effective on inanimate objects. So the explosion would not damage a character or wearer of the target object. Anything living would be naturally resistant to the attack. The destruction would also not effect additional objects, as that would require additional focus from the user on that object. I added this clarification in the last bullet point of the "Additional Information" section.

Let me know if you need any additional clarification, or I missed a question. I hope I got everything, but I'm happy to make further edits if they are required.

[member="Sage Bane"]

1-
Sage Bane said:
In the weaknesses section I describe the amulet as only effecting inanimate objects. So the explosion would not damage a character or wearer of the target object. Anything living would be naturally resistant to the attack. The destruction would also not effect additional objects, as that would require additional focus from the user on that object. I added this clarification in the last bullet point of the "Additional Information" section.
So, if you targeted the helmet being worn by an individual, the helmet would "shatter outwards" and not harm the wearer... and a gun would "break" at a point above the handle where it could not reasonably damage the wielder... But what about something like a lightsaber, that's within the grip of an individual's hands?

2-
Sage Bane said:
Sith magic: The amulet’s power comes from Sith magic, therefore it can work on Force Dead objects or objects with protection against Force attacks, i.e., Ysalamiri lizards
Do you have any canonical evidence that a "beam of energy" produced by Sith Magic would not be stopped by a Ysalamiri field? If said field can stop Force Lightning and other similar attacks, why can they not stop this attack?

Because, Wookieepedia has the following to say.

Traditionally, Sith magic, also known as Sith sorcery, was an arcane expression of Force ability first developed and practiced by the original Sith species through which they manipulated the power of the dark side.

Through the recitation of spells, execution of hand gestures, and or the handling of various artifacts, darksiders were able to channel the raw power of the Force's malignant side to warp minds, alter the environment, and obliterate whatever obstacles stood in their way.
Which implies that Sith Magic utilizes the Force, just like any other ability, and would be stopped by a Ysalamiri field.

Also, "objects" are not Force Dead. Only living creatures that are Yuuzhan Vong are Force Dead. Even suits of armor and guns and grenades that are made by Yuuzhan Vong are, themselves, living creatures. Since this beam of energy is specifically designed to work on objects and not on living beings, then I'm going to require you to remove all mention of it working on Force Dead objects.

3-
Sage Bane said:
The attack uses dark Sith magic to work, so it can only be stopped by something that repels or thwarts Sith magic. An energy shield, for example, would not stop the attack

Do you have any canonical evidence that a "beam of energy" produced by Sith Magic would not be stopped by an energy shield?

4-
Sage Bane said:
The energy beam works by homing into on the object that is being concentrated on, much like a Force wound attack. So the attack cannot be dodged
"energy beams" do not home in on their targets. Nor do I find the concept of "I fired my laser and you can't dodge" to be acceptable. This section will have to be removed.

On the whole, I'm not happy with this artifact at all. And I'll explain why...
Let's say that you are fighting a NFU on the external hull of a capital ship. You are both in void suits (with magnetic boots) and are fighting one another. The other individual is wearing personal shielding over his suit and is protecting himself from force attacks with a Ysalamiri field.

In one post, you can claim to be chanting for a full two minutes while taking cover behind a protrusion of the hull, pop up at the last second, and fire this beam of energy at the other individual.
It punches through the Ysalamiri field, bypasses their shielding, instantly destroys the other individuals helmet, and "homes in" on the target... meaning that if they try to dodge it, your next post consists of "surprise! dodging didn't work. Now you're in space and have no helmet."

In the above situation, there is nothing that the defending writer can do to protect themselves from this attack. For so long as the wording of this submission allows the above situation to be a physical possible, I cannot bring myself to approve it.

[member="War Hydra"]

I'm not opposed to making edits, but most of the edits you're suggesting would result in making the artifact no different from any other Force telekinetic attack that crushes an object, which in essence makes the artifact itself somewhat unnecessary.

Therefore, I will simply stand by your decision to deny the submission.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom