Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Aggression Form

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
“Ataru is the name given to the movements of this form — though it is aggressive, it is focused, and its best use is in combat against a single opponent.”
― Zez-Kai Ell

Mei was pleased with Lilla’s progress. In many ways he knew her better as a person now. At least who she was now at any rate, and who she might become.

As for who she was in the past, that was shrouded in part mist and part total fog. He knew of her upbringing on Tatooine as a slave and understood her life choices – and actually applauded her for them. But as for her origins? They, it seemed, would always be a mystery – unless someone came forward with information.

She was Lilla. Jedi. Servant of the Republic Remnant. That was all she wanted to be known as, and Mei was entirely comfortable with that.

Lilla Syrin

Lilla arrived in good time for the lesson. Her prowess in lessons meant she was occasionally able to skip classes. More often than not, she spent the time gained in the library, researching her favourite subject – meditation.

Otherwise she was practicing any of the basic skills a Youngling took for granted, but for her were new. Like Telekinesis or Telepathy, or Force Push or Pull.

So Mei was pleasantly surprised to see Lilla already warming up, ready for her lesson. He wondered how long it would be before she wanted to craft her own saber. He suspected he already knew the answer. Despite coming to the Order late in life, she was traditional, and he suspected she wanted to undertake the trials. Which meant the construction of her saber would form part of that journey into Knighthood.

Lilla Syrin

Mei bowed and once they’d said their hellos, the lesson began as it always did.

“Form IV, also known as Ataru, the Way of the Hawk-Bat, or The Aggression Form can date its origins as early as the Mandalorian Wars, where it was commonly employed by Jedi of that day. “

“An aggressive style, Form IV is fast-paced and effective against single opponents, though weaker in prolonged combat and confined spaces. Also, it is not recommended for use against opponents wielding blasters.”

“Ataru is characterized by Force-assisted acrobatics, such as somersaults and leaping strikes, both for attack and defense. Another characteristic of the form is its fast, powerful strikes from multiple directions. In fact it is the most acrobatic Form, filled with numerous elaborate moves, and relies heavily upon a Jedi’s ability to run, jump, and spin using the Force.”

“Jedi utilising Ataru need to incorporate all the Force powers that involve surpassing normal physical ranges of motion, speed, and agility in order to be successful. Running, jumping, and spinning were all emphasized in learning the elaborate kinetics of the form. Which means it is a draining Form for the user – especially against an opponent who can keep the duel lasting for a prolonged period of time. Frustrate an Ataru user and they will inevitably tire, or make rash moves, exposing themselves to a counter.”

Lilla stopped. The point was to prove she’d done her homework and that she’d reflected on what she’d learned - not to list every known fit about the Form.

Lilla Syrin

Mei nodded. “It is fair to day that a master in Ataru combat could appear like a blur to their opponents, attacking from all directions — the front, the sides, overhead, or behind. The Force not only allowed them to perform athletic feats not possible otherwise, but it also helped guide their actions and movements in combat.”

“But as you say, not as useful against multiple opponents, somewhat ineffective against blaster fire, particularly from multiple foes – and yet used widely. So never underestimate it as a Form.”

It was common for Jedi to only see the stregnths in their own style and the weaknesses in their opponents. “And yes, it is considered not as effective for prolonged combat, as the nature of Ataru could greatly tax the body. In fact, an Ataru practitioner is advised to withdraw if they were unable to win after a devastating burst of Ataru attacks.”

“And let’s not forget the requirement of open space for the kinetic acrobatics of Ataru. Without ample space to move, a user is deprived of the key element in his defense. Yet it remains a favourite with so many Jedi. Why?”

“The Ataru form of combat is aggressive, but focused. A user will embrace the idea that their whole body is the weapon. When done effectively, it is a wonderful Form to behold. If nothing else, heed the words of Grand Master Skywalker. It may not be the first resort, but it makes an excellent last resort.”

Lilla Syrin

“Now to practise. The opening stance is a balanced two-handed guard: holding the lightsaber vertically with both palms, either on the right or left side of the body.” Mei demonstrated and Lilla imitated.

“Now, to specific moves. Use Soresu to defend and I will employ the Hawk-Bat Swoop.”

Mei was a blur. He rained blow after blow on Lilla – from various angles and differing heights. Although she was able to parry, his relentless attacks made her retreat, until she had her back against the wall.

“There is no opportunity to counter, as the attacks are relentless. And you’re typically too busy defending to be able to spot any faults or weaknesses. Suddenly, it looks a lot more appealing, no?”

Lilla half agreed. “It has its merits, but I believe that if I remain patient, I will prevail.”

“Just don’t die before your opponent runs out of steam, yes?”

Lilla Syrin

“Now I’ll show you Saber Swarm.” Here Mei changed tactic and delivered numerous short strikes. Less tiring and just as effective at getting their opponent into a defensive posture.

“It is well planned,” Lilla said, “But I was already in a defensive mindset, so I would not say that, against a Soresu user, the fourth Form has necessarily gained the upper hand.”

Mei nodded. “Agreed, but imagine fighting two like this? Or one that was more proficient than me? Augmented with Force powers?”

Lilla knew he had a point. A very valid one. It was one thing to face this onslaught in a classroom, with someone who had no intention of harming you. In the heat of battle? Against a Sith that would happily Force Choke you?

If there was one thing that sparring taught you, it was this – it was nothing like real life.

Lilla Syrin

“Over to you.”

Now it was Lilla’s turn to be the aggressor. Perhaps because it was not her natural way of living, or maybe due to the fact she’d practised Soresu for so long, she found it difficult to commit to the attacks the way a seasoned user would.

“I have to admit Master, my reticence to leave myself exposed to a counter is holding me back. I find it a challenge to execute an all-out attack.”

“I had noticed,” Mei said. “And it was something I warned you about. We need to work more on this, and I suspect that Ataru training is actually going to be good for you. In fact, for the next few weeks, I want you to assume this Form will be your chosen Form. Commit to it, commit to all it has to offer, the acrobatics, the focus, the attack philosophy. Ban defense from your vocabulary, and from your mindset.”

Lilla Syrin

It took a couple of weeks for Lilla to become more comfortable. Initially she knew she was still reticent, knowing this was just an exercise. But as she progressed, and committed, she learned how to do the Form justice. She even held back from mixing the Form up – in the way she had done with Soresu – employing some Makashi in her repertoire.

For the weeks that followed her lesson, she was Ataru. 100%.

Lilla Syrin

Mei called another lesson after a month had passed. After only a few moments of sparring, he could tell the difference – but allowed the duel to continue until Lilla delivered what would have been a killing blow.

“So, will you return to Soresu now?”

Not sure if this was a genuine question, or her Master being inscrutable, Lilla shook her head. Regardless of his intent, she would be honest.

“I cannot, as I have yet to see what the fifth and sixth Forms are like. Then and only then I will make my decision. I can only commit to learning if I keep an open mind. Before this Form, I had decided. Which was a mistake, and one I won’t repeat.”

“Good,” the Cerean Master responded. “But given how you’re developing and your ability to remain so focused on the light-side, even using Ataru, I shall ask the Grand Master if you can at least be taught the basics of the seventh Form. If only to become familiar with it.”

Lilla shook her head. "I trust your judgement, as always, but would prefer to defer this until I have progressed as a Jedi. I am comfortable sparring against someone using the Form, but would not yet feel comfortable employing it myself, given its obvious risks."

Once again Mei nodded. "As you trust my judgement, I trust your instincts. We shall defer that lesson for the foreseeable future."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom