Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tear It Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W206kNXpzes​
171_large-thumbnail_medieval_town.jpg

City of Fridheim
Midvinter

At least Midvinter had different weather than just snow and sun.

Now, came the rain. Cold, fat rain that thundered down from the heavens as dusk drew over the planet and, there itself, the city of Fridheim where he had arrived only this very morning. It was time to seek out the Heavenshields, which didn’t think would be too hard, but right now he had the rest of the waning light to use as he wished before the big day tomorrow.

Connor stuck as best he could to the walls of homes and taverns in the street he was on when the rain came. Lanterns illuminated the way, and up above the city walls, guards kept their city – and royalty – safe. A large windmill rotated slowly outside the city and dominated the skyline to the South.

A few souls used to this rather refreshing shower simply walked through it, one even pulling a cart behind him full of soil and roots. Another couple seemed to be engaging in hearty conversation. Sounds from the taverns gave an inviting atmosphere, a few smells teased passers-by to stop for refreshment and ale. Connor watched all this from under a small outcropping of building, running his hand through his damp hair and flicking away water droplets from his fingers.

He would wait until the rain died of a little before moving on.

He could be waiting a long time if the rain fell as much as the snow did here.

With a small sigh, he jogged out from the shelter, across the street, past a well and over to the other side to stand under a large arched bridge that connected the higher walls and guard stations of Fridheim.

A good tavern would suit him and a hearty warm dinner. Yet, there was something calming about the rain. It reminded him of his old quarters on Voss; when the rain fell, Connor always watched it from his room. Window open to feel the breeze and rain droplets, it was a peaceful moment in what could be a rather hectic day.

So standing here in a world he had visited as both ally and aggressor, he just listened and watched the rain fall over the dimly lit silhouette of the city and took it all in.

[member="Valae Heavenshield"]

Valae sat before the fire in the hearth, it was nearly the end of another day here at the Healing House, Eirin's Reach. As the healer's chestnut eyes focused on the flames burning before her, she did some reflecting. Some time had passed since her arrival to the snowy world of Midvinter, but she was still rather new around Fridheim. And, she did stick out here like a very sore thumb, standing a few feet shorter than most of the locals.

It was nice to be close to her Master and his family, her family now, too.

No matter now different this world was from here birthplace, Tatooine. From the desert sand to the mountain snow, it was a big change. She felt at home, just the same. There were other places that came to mind as well, those that fell in between her two homes. Voss would always hold a special place in her heart, having spent so much time learning there. And, of course, Kashyyyk was remembered fondly as well.

Her days leading the Silver Jedi were over, a thought that flooded her with a mix of relief and sadness... but not regret. It had been a difficult decision to leave, but Valae had never felt completely comfortable in the office of Grandmaster. She'd done her best to fit the role as best she could. But at the end of the day, she wanted very much to return to her roots – as a healer. Work here at the Healing House had kept her busy, she felt at ease.

Standing from her place by the fire, she moved to lift her heavy cloak from the rack. She placed it over her shoulders and drew up the fur-lined hood. Valae bit farewell to the rest of the staff, some would remain behind for the night. In order to be close to Eirin's reach, she'd found a small cottage in town, and it was time to return.

She pushed the door open and stepped out into the cold and rain. It was then that Valae's stomach gave a rumble. Perhaps a quick bite at the Tavern wouldn't hurt...

[member="Connor Harrison"]

One building stuck out – a tavern with a classic wolf howling at the moon silhouette. ‘The Howlin’ Wolf’. Warm lights shone inside the rain stricken windows. Smoke rose from the two chimneys which either indicated a roaring fire or fresh, hot food – or both. There was NO benefit standing in the cold and rain. Figures were going in and few coming out. Hypothermia wasn’t required.

Connor ran across the street and headed to the warmth and light of the Wolf.

SBI1VuU.png
The warmth hit straight away, and so did the size of the place which was far bigger than expected. The inn ran deep, with wooden pillars acting as small dividers, a low roof that trapped the hearty atmosphere and cut out the outside world. Sights, smells – a typical inn.

While he stuck out a little with the crimson and blue attire from these hulking Valkyrie, he wasn’t at least the only mild-mannered human here. A few normal sorts drank and ate in groups, and a couple of alien beings looked very much at home. He walked through, wiping the rain droplets back from his hair and headed direct to the snug bar closest to the door.

His eyes cast a glance at some barrels behind a relaxed looking barman with arms as thick as Connor’s head. Black Mead. Sack Mead. Braggot.

”Bum Hummer?”

”Aye. Infused with hot herbs to warm the coldest being.” The barkeep didn’t drop a beat.

”I’ll just strick with your house ale for now, please. And some information?”

The barkeep nodded and prepped a house ale from a barrel. Connor wiped his face.

”Where can I find the Heavenshields? Namely Coci.”

Valae stepped out into the rain, her hood protecting her from the droplets that fell from the sky. The evening had brought quiet, most were tucked into their homes, winding down from another day. The faint lights were seen in windows as she passed by, her boots taking her in the direction of a blazing hearth and a warm meal.

Ducking under the eaves of the tavern, she reached out for the large wooden door, but her hand hesitated to push it open. Palm pressed against the rough grain, she waited...

Something, or rather someone made her pause.

A familiar presence. Valae knew it instantly, she remembered the last time she had felt it. After all, it had come during a rather unsettling interaction with one that was once called [member="Connor Harrison"]. He'd even send her off with a warning. Had he tracked Coci and her family to Midvinter? For a moment, she considered turning and running. But, if the locals of Midvinter lent anything to Valae – it was courage.

Hood still in place, she entered the tavern. Her chestnut eyes were cast low, but they flickered up towards the other patrons. Most of the residents here knew her by now, her diminutive form quite familiar. Still, she slipped onto one of the bar stools in the corner, watching... listening.

Would he recognize her presence? Only time would tell.

The barkeep didn't respond straight away. Instead, he kept his face void of any emotion and turned to fix the drink in a nice thick glass. The light froth dripped down the edge of the cold glass as he placed it down before Connor. A couple of coins were placed beside the glass.

”Thank you.”

He took the glass and gently sipped. It was cold, fresh and fierce. Quite nice. He hummed a little satisfactory hum and held the drink in his hand, waiting for an answer. Something told him to turn around and have a look - at what? He didn't know. A presence that felt like a Jedi. Connor turned his head, wet whisps of hair hanging over his brow. In a place like this, around company from all walks of life, there was going to be strong Force auras. Jedi. Soldiers. Warriors. There was nothing that made him suspicious. The barkeep placed his hands on the bar.

”The Heavenshield family is one we respect, we love and we admire. Fact, our inn stands because of one of them, so count yourself lucky. It's not my place to give anyone and everyone the lowdown - if you did your research, you'd know where to go.” It was clear Thurion and Coci had a large wall around them. ”You'd know where their residence is, and that you don't just walk up expecting the door to open and let you in.”

Connor took a sip, not really getting the answer he wanted but what the barkeep said spoke volumes.

”I see. That makes sense.”

He turned again. Someone was pushing at his mind.

”Who's that. Under the hood. Some sort of bodyguard?”

Connor tapped his glass slowly.

Valae kept her head down, but her senses were alert and her ears keen. Her attention tuned into the conversation happening between the stranger and the barkeep. It was as she feared, he'd come looking for the Heavenshield family, just as he said he would.

But, he was discovering that the locals were extremely loyal to the family.

However, Valae soon felt eyes upon her. She considered her options. The Jedi healer could turn and leave, drawing their visitor back out into the cold or she could remain, where there were numerous sets of eyes upon them. If the man had truly come to cause trouble, he could easily have done so already.

“Not a guard,” She spoke up, lifting her head slightly. “Just a patron, like you.”

Chestnut eyes glinted from beneath the hood, her gaze now fixed upon [member="Connor Harrison"].

Well, well, well. Small world indeed, but one that was heavily still influenced by Silver Jedi veterans it seemed. Connor had felt eyes on him, but hadn’t been sure until her chestnut eyes met his and flashbacked to their last less-then-friendly encounter.

”Valae Kitra.”

The last thing he had said was to deliver a message to Coci on her fate he would present one day.

”I would at one point feel honoured that you may have been following me, but I sincerely doubt you have been. Or is it just a wonderful coincidence you’re here on Midvinter away from your Silver Jedi.”

He indicated to the bar.

”Please, care to join me?”

Valae let the hood fall back to her shoulders, there was really no need for it now. It seemed that he did remember her, after all. She canted her head to the side when he spoke her name.

“I'm not sure we can call it a coincidence,” She said, “But we'll see.”

Her eyes found the empty bar stool next to [member="Connor Harrison"], and she rose from her seat. She gave a nod to the barkeep, his eyes showed a measure of curiosity. Sliding onto the stool, she kept an arm's length between them. The force worked in strange ways, this Valae knew. She wondered if Connor was here to make good on his threat, or something else entirely.

“This is my home now.” Valae said, brows lofting slightly. She eyed Connor out of the corner of her gaze, watching his every move. There was something different about the man this time. His presence no longer wavered like before, there wasn't a cloud of uncertainty any longer.

“What brings you to Midvinter, Master?”

Valae seemed at ease – cautious but at ease – and her use of the word Master struck a little nerve. It had been a word not associated with Connor for years, since the fallout from the Silver Jedi and his time serving the Order as Master and trying to lead them forward from Voss. While he was a Master of the Force after a life serving it, he was a Master to nothing and nobody else.

”You’ve chosen to make a home here? It’s a world away from Voss isn’t it? I’ hope you’ve brought your thermals.”

He ran his thumb on the lip of his mug.

”There’s no need to try pull the wool over your eyes, so I’ll simply say I’m here to try and put the past behind me. I need to make peace with the Heavenshield’s and find a way to belong once more to something worth fighting for.”

He picked up his drink and toasted her discreetly.

”You have my word I’m not here to cause trouble. And I wouldn’t like to take my chances against these brutes. Have you seen their arms? As thick as my head.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom