Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tea and Sympathy

Jomasom Leuf

South Rim Trading Company
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RInxYAErg[/youtube]

In addition to his trade inroads to Eraidu and Atrisia, Commenor was next Captain Leuf’s list of economic conquest. And he was able to procure enough documents which attested to his sympathizer status to the First Order, an ally of the Sith naturally and his neutrality as an independent company. The Blaudu Bounty , Leuf's private ship, had no problem passing through the thick TSE blockade around the planet.

As for skirting around the Military Prefect, one Admiral Coroct Dathart? That happened to be slightly more challenging, but it was well known throughout the galaxy that [member="Lady Kay"] adored tea. So ahead of time, Jomasom sent a list of tea imports detailing painfully how they were produced, which had certifications, which were tied into underworld activities in case the Queen wanted to blacklist those, and finally those which had won awards. This dossier was so long he knew it would make any bureaucrats’s eyes glaze over. The case of expensive cigarras hand-delivered by an associate to the Admiral did not hurt his situation, and a one on one greeting had been granted with the Queen herself.

The ambitious merchant had read the holonews of the Sith’s occupation and the subsequent Treaty, and well it was all very absolutist obviously, yet here he was about to enter a well-appointed sitting room of the monarch’s refreshingly unguarded. He’d never concerned himself too much with darksiders, but perhaps Joma just hadn’t enough exposure to be afraid.

And once he walked in, wearing his pressed naval fatigues versus a suit, he began to arrange a few cases of the tea he’d brought for Queen Kay, a variety to sample from A to Z, starting with Ansionian and ending with Zsajhira berry.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
"You have a new visitor, m'Lady." Olivia eyed the guards standing sentry in Kay's office while she stood at the door. "And they've been granted the ability to have the meeting held in private."

Kay looked up from her datapad, raising an eyebrow. "A private meeting? No doubt it's some Sith Imperial official wanting to rub my face in the occupation again, touting all of the benefits of Imperial Law." She had heard it all before, even read about it. If one wants to beat the system, one must learn the system first. She sighed and got to her feet. "Let's get this overwith..."

"You might be surprised with this one."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Let's just say that your one vice is well known..."

"My one vi--Ohhhhh.
Tea? Did they bring me tea?"

"You'll see when you get there. Now come along."

Kay got to her feet, turning off her datapad and carrying it with her as she moved to the door to follow Olivia to the hallway. The old woman's keys jingled as she walked down the hallway; a sound that echoed along with the footfalls of the guards.

Once at the meeting room, the door was opened. Olivia stood to the side as she let Kay walk in, closing the door behind the monarch. She then moved on to tend to her other duties.

Kay on the other hand was taken aback as she saw the cases of tea being layed out by [member="Jomasom Leuf"] . The smells hit her almost instantly. "Afternoon. Are you...a tea merchant?" The man wasn't dressed like a merchant. But maybe selling tea was a hobby of his.

Jomasom Leuf

Jomasom’s favorite kind of customer was an enthusiastic one. It made his life so much easier not to have to perform some complicated tap dance in order to seal a business deal. The nobility he had dealt with to date did not seem as easy going as Queen Kay. For a woman under constant watch by some of the most terrifying figures in the galaxy, she was refreshingly carefree.

He chuckled at the monarch’s statement that he was a tea merchant. “It certainly seems that way, doesn’t it? Tea is just one import I can provide. And those are my gifts to you to keep. Your own private tea stash.” He circled the pile of crates and continued: “Captain Leuf, Your Grace. I’m the owner of the West Rim Trading Company. We trade in most of the galaxy’s commodities from ore to silk to even… get this, near-microscopic organisms who can clean a toxic atmosphere. Just shipped a few freighters full of them to Eriadu.”

Joma waited patiently for Queen Kay to sit first. He was not familiar with Commenor customs but showing deference to a woman ruler was always a prudent option. His brows knit in sudden concern and he pursed his lips in a frown. “Please forgive my candor, but just how are you being treated under Sith Empire rule? I mean, you look positively radiant, but I can imagine this has not been an easy transition for you."

Yes, he had an agenda which would be refined by the answer. And likely the Queen might to have an agenda if he could just pinpoint it.

Doubtlessly most powerful rulers did.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

There was certainly a sizeable amount of crates of tea provided by [member="Jomasom Leuf"] . He was indeed a generous man. Kay bowed her head in thanks and then listened as he introduced not only himself, but of the company that represented. "Well, you certainly have done your homework, Captain Leuf. Thank you for the teas. I'll be sure to try out a new flavour every day." That would take some time, of course, given the quantity.

The Captain gave her an opportunity, however, as he seemed to want to establish trade between his company and her world. Unfortunately she wasn't in charge of finalizing such a deal. But she could at least do the groundwork, and maybe set up something private.

That is if he was to be trusted.

Kay sat herself down on one of the comfy sofas, resting her datapad on her lap. She eyed the man as he asked her about her treatment, knowing to be careful about her answer. [member="Darth Interitus"] had eyes and ears nearly everywhere. So she had to be careful of everything that she conveyed.

"Thank you. As you can see, I've not been physically harmed.
And it's safe to say that I'm still not comfortable with all of this. But I'm the stubborn sort, so...it's expected. As long as I don't step out of line, there'll be no further incidents like what happened to Munto City."
Over eight million people died in an instant when she didn't surrender immediately to [member="Darth Carnifex"] after [member="Darth Prazutis"] had captured her. It was a dark cloud that would always hang over her. Now the entire remnants of the city was a Dark Nexus, the first of it's kind on Commenor. "Commenor survives, Captain Leuf. It always does. Throughout history we've been ruled from one galactic power to the next. We'll learn to adapt to this one as well, until there comes a time when the Sith lose their grip."

And that time would come. She was sure of it. Kay was determined to help it along in any manner possible.

"How is the manner of my government's fall being discussed elsewhere? Are we being spoken ill of?"

Jomasom Leuf

Jomasom gave Queen Kay a benevolent smile that promised friendship, compromise and trust, but behind it, who really knew what was going on. The Captain had not become in charge of such a large Trade Conglomeration by being a pushover after all. Certainly dealing with his father required skin of iron. At all times.

“Munto City was a horrible tragedy. I cannot in any good conscious, applaud the Sith for such a draconian military maneuver. I think you’ll find dealing with the First Order more civilized on a whole.” He stood, thin lips pressed together in a frown, sympathetic to her plight.

“And to answer your question I believe the galaxy is sympathetic. I certainly would not be here if I did not think Commenor a worthy cause to pursue.” Again Joma let the words hang, not explaining their exact meaning, letting the Queen personalize them how she saw fit.

“I have a mini-ionic disruptor if you are worried about someone recording this both a camera or audio device.” Joma liked to flaunt the rules, and one could do so if the rules were inherently on your side. “It could easily render those useless.”

Pulling out a slim, cigarra from his front pocket, he asked, “May I… light this up?” He placed the tip of the brown paper to his lips, giving the monarch time to decide if she would rather talk more freely in absolute secret or conversely have [member="Darth Interitus"] and his ilk know exactly what type of trade they were open to discussing.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay began to feel a little more comfortable around [member="Jomasom Leuf"] . Perhaps it was due to the manner that he spoke. Or perhaps it eas due to the smile that he gave. Regardless, she had kept so many emotions and thoughts pented up inside that if she didn't vent soon, she could explode. It was getting more and more difficult to pretend that everything was fine as the days wore on.

"I've had a few dealings with the First Order.
Twice we had set up some trade deals. We also have our own Embassy in the capital. Not to mention we had participated in a handful of fundraisers. So yes, I would have to agree that the First Order is more civilized."
But they too had brought destruction to many. They didn't have all of those fleets for nothing.

Kay was glad to hear that others were sympathetic to Commenor's plight. It left them more options to pursue when it came to gaining freedom. And that gave her more hope for what was to come. Jomasom seemed to hint at wanting to help.

She raised a brow as he spoke of the device that could prevent eavesdropping. "A mini-ionic disruptor? Could you show me how it works?" An opportunity to speak frankly was more than ideal.

As Jomasom asked for permission to smoke, she nodded and gestured with a wave of her hand. "You may. I have some in my employ that share that same habit."

Jomasom Leuf

The mini-ionic disruptor was just a tiny jumble of wires and would only take out any camera or audio devices in the room as well as other electronic devices, but it's range was limited. As Joma’s teeth clenched upon the unlit cigarra, he gently took the datapad from Lady Kay’s hand and turned it off. “I don’t want this to short circuit.” He then pressed a small button in his palm, and even the lights in the room went dead.

“The circumference is only a few hundred meters,” the Captain said, with clear wonder at the technology, the room aglow as he lit the end of his cigarra. “If you have any candles we’ll be able to see better, but we can certainly talk now with no interference.”

Natural light seeped in through the windows, enhanced by the red light of smoking embers. “Now, Queen Kay, tell me what you really need help with? Aside from a normal trade agreement with fair tariffs, do you need anything of a different nature? My fleet runs all the way up the Corellian Trade Route and we can always make a detour if the price is right.”

He was clearly extending a lifeline to the monarch of Commoner, one that she might even be able to define. On her terms even.

But could she trust him?

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay didn't stop [member="Jomasom Leuf"] from taking her datapad. It wasn't as though he had snatched it. Instead he took it politely. His explanaition was sound too. For no sooner did he turn it off that the lights went out.

She looked around, having not expected that. However candles weren't readily available. "I'll just open the curtains a bit more." Kay got to her feet and headed to the windows, opening the curtains enough to give them more light to observe one another. Once that was finished, she retook her seat and breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you for that.."

To be able to speak plainly was a rare thing these days. So much so in fact that for a moment she hesitated before opening her mouth to talk. "A trade agreement would be lovely. The economy needs to keep going strong. I've no doubt that we've lost some of our trade due to the occupation." She folded her hands on her lap and nudged herself forward a little in her chair, speaking now in a lower tone. "I need freedom.
Both for myself and my people. Yet I have little ways to communicate with them as I'm always being watched.
My shielding system worked very well. That should be spread to other cities so that what happened to Munto city doesn't happen elsewhere.
But we'll need more components for that."
That and so much more. It was difficult to organize a resistance movement if she wasn't able to co-ordinate with others.

Jomasom Leuf

“I’ll draft up a proposal right away, Your Grace,” Joma said with a nod of his head.

He took a long pull on the cigarra, but out of politeness, blew it in the opposite direction, away from Queen Kay. “Now there’s the matter of funding. For trade across any of the intergalactic trade routes, everything will be transparent financially, and you’ll have no problem with the Sith due to the First Order neutrality between governments. But for your “special projects,” let’s call them… do you have access to a bank account which is private?”

Wandering over to the window, he glanced idly onto the Commenor Palace grounds which were beautifully manicured. At the core of his beliefs, he truly did think the entire planet should be free to do as it pleased, yet at times, Jomasom’s greed usurped his sympathy. Still, he genuinely wanted to help, consequences be damned.

“I value my individual freedom,” he said. “I value yours too. I’ll likely work through a third party to protect us, both with manpower and to transfer funds. But again, Your Grace, the matter of a private bank account, encrypted and unmonitored is of utmost important.”

Outsourcing the more controversial trade through a third-party was the best way to ensure fidelity between both of them. Yes, at times the often scheming man could be a faithful partner if the price was right.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay raised a brow slightly at the mention of a private bank account. It wasn't as though she was suspicious, but she pondered over the very idea. So far her assets hadn't been siezed, but every whisp of communication that she had was monitored.

How long before someone barged into this meeting once it was figured out that it was completely private? No doubt she'd be questioned about it greatly by her Overseers.

"I have no private account. My husband and I kept everything transparent. Although, he might have one." How else did he build their Estate without her knowing of it? And how was he surviving out there without a private source of funds? Perhaps he was mindful that something like this occupation could happen, so he had taken steps to ensure that he'd have the means to survive and to help.

"Every communication that I have, written or otherwise, is examined. And so too are my finances.
I am not a slicer, so I can't fix the system to hide anything."

[member="Jomasom Leuf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom