Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech System

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=12pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] A source of study on organic kind/ form of entertainment for organics[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Image Source: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]N/A[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Canon Link: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]N/A[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Restricted Missions:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] N/A[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Primary Source: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]N/A[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Manufacturer:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] LOOM[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Model:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] AO Class[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Affiliation:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Ultimatum Open-Market[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Modularity:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] No[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Production[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: Limited[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Material: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Durasteel, Bondite, computer components, organic components[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Puts organics into a virtual reality that is intended to replicate the real world[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Attached to a stasis chamber[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Capable of connecting with other systems and people[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Faster Passage of Time[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Ysalamiri helps protect against accidental Force usage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The System once implanted into an organic and activated will replicate the neural stimulus of the senses to trick the brain into believing that it is in the real world. Each unit is built into a stasis chamber to ensure that the organic survives for a long period while taking part in a simulation. By using advanced servers that only connect each unit, those that are in the System can be connected with other users. For the protection of those around the person using the System, each unit come equipped with a nutrient frame and Ysalamiri to negate Force powers of those inside the System unit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Strengths[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Trick of the Mind: By having the computer send electrical signals directly to the brain and receiving them the same way the System can create illusions that are real enough to fool most people[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Mental Cooperative: The System can connect each user with another, allowing the users to interact in a far safer environment than the real one[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Long Slumber: The use of stasis chambers when online allows the user to live far longer while still being able to continue online[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Accelerated Reality: Because the computer interacts directly with the brain, it can take advantage of significant decreases in travel time, through this the fake reality is interacted with faster and thus simulations can be completed in a short amount of time[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Safety Net Release: Units automatically release users when a certain time elapses or a certain Phrase is spoken[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Powerless Force: A Ysalamiri keeps the user from accidentally, or intentionally, utilizing any Force capabilities while inside the unit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Weaknesses [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Eternity is a Long Time: Because the brain is still active while in System, the person will eventually have to leave the false world in order to take care of the basic needs[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Weakest Links: The necessity of organic components to connect directly with the brain mean that as time goes on the connections between the computer implant and the brain will need replacing[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Mind Matter: The complexities and individualities of each person’s brain requires that the user receive an exhaustive series of mental scans before the implant can be placed[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Time Shock: Leaving the System causes disorientation as the body readjusts to coordinating with the brain, the longer spent in the System the worse it becomes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The System is a hybrid of old stasis tech and mental manipulation experiments along with newer electrostimulus organic conversion technology. The computer built into the stasis chamber is the most integral part, as it uses information obtained from brain scans before the organics implantation to know what electrical signals to send and where to create a realistic trick for the brain to interact with. The computer sends minute electrical pulses through a centralized cord with multiple wires that leads into the person’s skull and then reaches the computer chip in the brain. The computer chip acts as a converter, taking the electrical impulses from the wires and then activating the chemical signals that are transported through organic tissue to the intended cells. The chemical signals then activate the brain cells in order to create a near perfect illusion of reality or unreality. The brain then responds to the stimuli with some form of reaction. Any response is then sent back up the chain, which sets off a chemical reaction that then reaches the microchip that turns it into an electrical signal that is communicated the computer. The System is capable of acting and reacting far faster than an organic. This makes time pass faster in the simulations than in the real world. By connecting different System units, different users can take part in a single simulation. The danger of electronic weaponry or similar electrical effects is mostly dissipated by a strong framework of highly conductive metal that has been sculpted around the exterior of the units. This does not make the unit entirely proof of electrical failure, as a powerful enough blast will overwhelm the measure, but if there is a delay and the computer recognizes the thread then it can terminate the simulation and release the user. While this will cause significant disorientation it will potentially save the user's life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The System is not without its failings, the stasis chamber does not completely halt bodily functions, so that the brain can continue working. After some time, the organic will need to leave the simulations and deal with other necessities such as food, sleep, etc. however it does slow the processes allowing a person to last far longer without food than would be considered normal. Then there is the connections that take the signals from the microchip to the brain. In order to simulate the chemical signals the connectors are made of a temporary organic substance. To ensure that there is no permanent damage should the microchip be removed, the connectors deteriorate over time, this requires that every few months the connectors be replaced if one wants to continue utilizing the system. The final issue is that connecting with the brain and sending signals that can fool the brain requires a deep knowledge of each individual’s brain’s inner working. This requires a series of scans and tests to have a near full understanding of how the brain responds to physical stimuli. The scans require a participant be willing and open, as almost every neural pathway must be understood and tracked. The same cannot be said for using the System. Once scans are completed and the unit is prepared, a person can be kept in the System against their will. The System can replicate Force based behaviors in order to trick Force users in believing that they are in the 'true' reality, but this does not negate their true abilities. In order to negate the danger of a Force user accidentally utilizing one of their powers, most chambers have a Ysalamiri on a nutrient frame on the back in its own container.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The technical parts are less easy to break into. The fear of having a hacker break into the System's servers and threaten users forced Ultimatum to utilize his own systems of encoding and backup. Firstly finding the servers without having physical access to a terminal directly connected to the System is nigh impossible. If one did have unrestricted access to a terminal hacking would be fairly straightforward for a trained slicer. The system chips set in the brain of the user are incapable of being hacked as they are not connected wirelessly to anything, merely conduits of the messages sent physically from the computer of the system. Should a slicer break into a System's computer, the ones in the System units, they could cause any number of difficulties for the user. The person could send an overloading electrical surge to fry the brain of the user, or could alter the computer to create a nightmarish reality for the user. As with the electrical threat, if the computer recognizes a danger to the user then it can expunge the user from the simulations. In order to further mitigate the dangers of a person being trapped inside the unit for whatever reason, the System has a built in timer that is set to force the user out of the system after a certain time has passed. If the user does not wish to follow the timer, they can alternatively follow the safe phrase method whereby the uttering of a certain phrase activates the System's release allowing the user to leave at will.[/SIZE]

Netherworld

Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.

Netherworld

[member="Ultimatum"]

I dig the baseline idea, but a couple points need clarifying before I can stamp this.

• What happens if someone slices the servers?
  • What happens if someone slices the chip in the brain?
  • What happens if the System is exposed to an Ion/EMP pulse while someone is plugged into it?
  • How does the System and its virtual reality work with Force ursers?
  • Are the participants in this simulation willing, or can it be used as a virtual prison/torture device?
Furthermore, I'll ask you to:
  1. Drop this to Limited production.
    Each chip needs to be manufactured according to specs acquired through extensive study and scanning. Making this tech on a mass-produced scale would be insanely expensive and time-consuming.
  2. Add the 'faster passage of time' to Special features and Strengths
@mention me with edits or questions

Alright I made the edits you asked for and added the following into the Description:

[SIZE=12pt]The System is a hybrid of old stasis tech and mental manipulation experiments along with newer electrostimulus organic conversion technology. The computer built into the stasis chamber is the most integral part, as it uses information obtained from brain scans before the organics implantation to know what electrical signals to send and where to create a realistic trick for the brain to interact with. The computer sends minute electrical pulses through a centralized cord with multiple wires that leads into the person’s skull and then reaches the computer chip in the brain. The computer chip acts as a converter, taking the electrical impulses from the wires and then activating the chemical signals that are transported through organic tissue to the intended cells. The chemical signals then activate the brain cells in order to create a near perfect illusion of reality or unreality. The brain then responds to the stimuli with some form of reaction. Any response is then sent back up the chain, which sets off a chemical reaction that then reaches the microchip that turns it into an electrical signal that is communicated the computer. The System is capable of acting and reacting far faster than an organic. This makes time pass faster in the simulations than in the real world. By connecting different System units, different users can take part in a single simulation. The danger of electronic weaponry or similar electrical effects is mostly dissipated by a strong framework of highly conductive metal that has been sculpted around the exterior of the units. This does not make the unit entirely proof of electrical failure, as a powerful enough blast will overwhelm the measure, but if there is a delay and the computer recognizes the thread then it can terminate the simulation and release the user. While this will cause significant disorientation it will potentially save the user's life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The System is not without its failings, the stasis chamber does not completely halt bodily functions, so that the brain can continue working. After some time, the organic will need to leave the simulations and deal with other necessities such as food, sleep, etc. however it does slow the processes allowing a person to last far longer without food than would be considered normal. Then there is the connections that take the signals from the microchip to the brain. In order to simulate the chemical signals the connectors are made of a temporary organic substance. To ensure that there is no permanent damage should the microchip be removed, the connectors deteriorate over time, this requires that every few months the connectors be replaced if one wants to continue utilizing the system. The final issue is that connecting with the brain and sending signals that can fool the brain requires a deep knowledge of each individual’s brain’s inner working. This requires a series of scans and tests to have a near full understanding of how the brain responds to physical stimuli. The scans require a participant be willing and open, as almost every neural pathway must be understood and tracked. The same cannot be said for using the System. Once scans are completed and the unit is prepared, a person can be kept in the System against their will. The System can replicate Force based behaviors in order to trick Force users in believing that they are in the 'true' reality, but this does not negate their true abilities. The Force can warn a user of impending danger to their real body, however this does create mixed messages for the brain and may cause severe distortion of activity and eventually lead to the user needing to leave the System for a time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The technical parts are less easy to break into. The fear of having a hacker break into the System's servers and threaten users forced Ultimatum to utilize his own systems of encoding and backup. Firstly finding the servers without having physical access to a terminal directly connected to the System is nigh impossible. If one did have unrestricted access to a terminal hacking would be fairly difficult, but by no means impossible for a trained slicer. The system chips set in the brain of the user are incapable of being hacked as they are not connected wirelessly to anything, merely conduits of the messages sent physically from the computer of the system. Should a slicer break into a System's computer, the ones in the System units, they could cause any number of difficulties for the user. The person could send an overloading electrical surge to fry the brain of the user, or could alter the computer to create a nightmarish reality for the user. As with the electrical threat, if the computer recognizes a danger to the user then it can expunge the user from the simulations.[/SIZE]

Does that work?[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Ultimatum"]

How would the System be able to 'replicate' Force behavior?
There is no known record of how the Force is manifested from a thought to an 'action'.

The method of 'replication' would be distinct to each person, as the scans and tests would have them utilize some Force. The scans would show how that individual's brain responds to the action and requests it. At the end of the day it is not replicating the Force behavior, but the stimulus that the brain believes equals Force behavior. It is creating an illusion that simply makes the person believe that they have used the Force.

Does that make sense or is it just gibberish? Quite late at the moment so I cannot guarantee how much sense I will make.

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Ultimatum"]

That makes sense.

What I'm not sure though, is how you'd prevent the Force user from actually using the Force while in the chamber. 'Force behavior' isn't a stimulus that a computer would be able to replicate, I think. Most of the time, Force is utilized as a reaction to a stimulus (fake or not).

The scenario I'm seeing here is this:
  • Force user encounters enemy inside the System
  • Force user goes for a Foce push
  • Force user wrecks the stasis chamber with said push
How would the System be able to prevent something like this?

I am not entirely certain, in my own mind I had sort of had the stasis chamber slowing most of the bodily functions subduing Force connection. Perhaps it could be that the Force does not respond to the user while in an artificial environment? Playing with the idea that the Force has a will and therefore some form of awareness, maybe it being the all the powerful force that it is allows it to distinguish between real threats and that of an artificial nature? Spitballing at this point.

Any suggestions or ideas?

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Ultimatum"]

Well, so long as the mind is active, I don't see why the Force would be subdued – unless you're actually putting some Force-nullifying tech into these stasis chambers, like Ysalamiri or some such.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with tech that can essentially lock anyone in with no ostensible means of escape. If the System works like you imagine it, i.e.:
  • rendering the Force essentially 'unavailable',
  • being essentially immune to slicing,
  • being able to replicate 99% stimuli virtually,
then whoever gets scanned and locked in is pretty much toast.

Something's going to have to give here, and I'm leaning towards the Force, since your basis seems pretty flimsy here. Thoughts?

I can understand the fear and I believe I may have come up with a solution: The System units are designed to release people after a certain period of time has elapsed or if the user wills it. If the user wants to leave they need to say a key phrase, which in most is the default, "This is not real." The person may create their phrase upon entering the System unit. At the end of the day my belief was that this would be more of a toy, akin to a VR on steroids. While it definitely does have elements that would make it a fine prison/torture device, that is not my intention for its main use.

I would go with the Force except that what you mentioned above makes it incredibly dangerous to anyone else that may be nearby. I would be willing to weaken the slicing immunity and replace it with something more along the lines of what you suggested. Do you believe a Ysalamiri would be the ideal solutions?

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Ultimatum"]

I can respect that, the intention is important. The 'safeword' stuff seems like a good solution, so feel free to add that to the description. :)
Ysalamiri would probably work for this purpose, yeah. Just slap them into a nutrient chamber inside a System unit, get your legal disclaimers in order for any prickly Jedi, and it should be good.
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're going to replace the slicing 'immunity' with, but I'll probably get it once you update the description.

Tag me when you're done, and this should be ready for a stamp.

Netherworld

Ultimatum said:
If the user does not wish to follow the timer, they can alternatively follow the safe phrase method whereby the uttering of a certain phrase activates the System's release allowing the
  • You probably meant to finish this sentence?
  1. Please add the Ysalamiri to the Special Features and Strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom