Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Superconductive Energy Feedback Barrier Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Relentless Akovin Workshop
  • Affiliation: Triam Akovin
  • Model: Superconductive Energy Feedback Barrier Prototype
  • Modularity: Can be modulated lightly for experimental purposes

• Production: Unique (Only One Character)
  • Material: Ultrachrome
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Capable of reflecting a great variety of energy types, including (curiously) abilities of the force, through a superconductive energy feedback system.
Strengths:
  • Proportionate Retribution - Attempting to attack the barrier, or act on something beyond the barrier through the barrier using any type of energy (electricity, thermal, kinetic, sonic, magnetic, lightsabers, the force, etc.) will reflect off of it in most cases, and halt it in others. This is partially due to the Ultrachrome Superconductor Layers naturally reflecting blaster, and projectile energy away, but also due to an integrated Retribution feedback shield included in its feedback systems, expanding its ability to "reflect" energy attacks to include even offensive force abilities through an energy discharge collected from the attack itself. This defensive barrier also includes a minor defensive measure against "passive" force abilities that reach beyond the user, such as the one found in a Ysalamiri, by blocking out force energy and its influence attempting to cross it in a manner similar to a Ray shield. Therefore when a barrier of this type enters their sphere of influence, it will prevent their field from progressing beyond it so long it is large enough to block its whole effective radius (the obvious counter here, is simply having more Ysalamiri to grow their field of influence beyond the barrier's capabilities).
Weaknesses:
  • Maginot Line - As a barrier (and not a cage), in order to circumvent its wrath, one need only direct energy around it. So, for example, an arc of electricity could go around the barrier without being effected by the presence of the barrier, and a force user could potentially "originate" their abilities in the force around or beyond the scope of the barrier without much difficulty. For a Ysalamiri, the same could be true if the barrier is not large enough to deflect their whole sphere of influence, as if the barrier is too small, the sphere of influence could reach around to the other side of the barrier, circumventing it entirely.
  • Massive Power Supply - A barrier of any significant size will require its own dedicated power generator to maintain the feedback systems, which severely limits the practicality of use as anything other than a very well defended wall. It could theoretically be applied to a vehicle, but the power demands would be quite significant to uphold. To scale it down to armor would take a stroke of engineering genius to find a powerful enough and small enough power supply that could be carried and utilized at a personnel level, but not theoretically impossible. The number of armors using such a system would be prohibited by the expense of making it, as Ultrachome isn't cheap or as easily available, and using less impressive superconductors would likely yield less impressive results. It may be possible in armors that would use this unique effect in short bursts, so that it is only reflective upon activation for a limited amount of time, but again, even that would require quite the engineer to construct.
  • Star Destroyer > Barrier - The barrier's ability to reflect energy back to sender does have limits, and does not have infinite reflective potential. Pour down something like a turbolaser barrage from orbit, and so much energy will be poured into the barrier, that the ultrachrome won't be able to disperse its heat/energy fast enough before it uniformly melts and destroys the barrier. While some energy might be reflected somewhere as its destroyed, it will not be even half strength before the barrier is totaled and melted into slag.
  • Unsustainable Reflection - A sustained outpouring of energy into the barrier will strain the system as it attempts to cycle all energy into a responsive discharge, and if the source of energy is undetered by the discharged reflection, eventually the Retribution Shield system will fail to discharge energy quickly enough before the Ultrachrome begins to melt uniformly, destroying the barrier in the process. The only factor in this case, would be that it would take a rather monumental amount of time and energy to cause such a failure, but the failure still exists all the same.
DESCRIPTION

Although less interested in the Work Group's mission to counter the infamous Ysalamiri and their counter against force abilities, Triam decided to play along when tapped to assist in the research group. More interested in counteracting the force itself, Triam looked into various sources that handled with the detainment of force sensitives, as well as electromagnetic anomalies that might be useful in neurally scrambling not only force users, by any biological creature. Unexpectedly, her research fields seemed to converge in one particular case: the Universal Energy Cage.

These Cages saw great use after the Jedi Purge of the Galactic Empire era, in detaining Jedi. Utilizing some type of energetic discharge to disrupt a force users ability to influence things beyond it, and stunning them on contact with the bars while floating them in a repulsorfield. It seemed to be an incredibly effective technological cage that could theoretically hold basically anything inside of it. She supposed that's why they tagged on "Universal" to its name, she imagined very few things if anything could reasonably escape from such a prison without outside assistance.

That is what spawned the idea of her experiment, and what forced Triam to create a prototype for. If one used the same principles of a Universal Energy Cage (that is, a Superconductive Energy Feedback system), but applied it in the form of a barrier instead of a prison, one could reasonably construct a purely technological counter to just about anything thrown at it. Blasters, electricity, heat-weapons, sonic/kinetic weapons, the force, there was very little limit to what such a barrier could protect against, except perhaps chemical acids or the other assortments of purely physical damage.

To appease the one's who called on her for research, she designed an experiment involving such a barrier within the influence of a Ysalamiri, and a force sensitive on the other side of the barrier. With a barrier large enough, she hypothesized that the force sensitive (who would ordinarily be in the influence sphere of the Ysalamiri) would be able to continue their use of the force, as the "force neutral" field of the Ysalamiri would be preventing from extending beyond the barrier. Though she did not conduct the experiment herself, having no access to Ysalamiri, she built a prototype barrier which she tested for other variables.

Utilizing Ultrachrome as the superconductive element in the prototype, the robust barrier was capable reflecting or halting almost all forms of attack she could think of and replicate in a lab setting... or as close to a lab setting as her interstellar Workshop could be, that is. She had little doubts the Ysalamiri's abilities would not be an exception to this rule.

Of course, there was the issue of simply going around the barrier, which made the prospect of turning this new innovative use of technology into something functionally practical still a prospect farther in the future than present.

Triam Akovin said:
Therefore when a barrier of this type enters their sphere of influence, it was will reflect their influence back in on the Ysalamiri at greater concentration, weakening and dampening their own ability to negate the influence of the force, causing a negative feedback loop that will all but completely nullify the influence of a Ysalamiri, into an exceptionally weak state. The influence of the Ysalamiri will only exist in an equilibrium between the barrier's ability to reflect it back and the Ysalamiri's influence recovering once their influence stops acting on the barrier, beginning the negative feedback cycle anew until once again, the Ysalamiri's influence weakens to a point that it doesn't effect the barrier, allowing the Ysalamiri to recover, ad infinitum, until either the barrier or the Ysalamiri are separate from one another.
The Ysalamir field makes all other force users unable to use the force, but they are able to use their field while within the fields of other Ysalamir, and it actually causes their field to grow in size. The only plausible effect I could see here would be that the field of the Ysalamir is unable to extend beyond the barrier, because even if it were to change the nature of the Ysalamir's field into one which is no longer identical to its previous state (so that it would impact a Ysalamir in the way one impacts a human) then it would be canceled out by the Ysalamir's own field.

Unless you've got a canon/legends source which gives an example of a Ysalamir placing other Ysalamir under the effect of its field (unable to use the force), then this is going to need to be removed.

[member="Lily Kuhn"] It seems my previous argument has been erased in the replies so I'll have to dig back out from scratch. Anyway, I ultimately disagree with that assessment for the following reasons, but if they do not convince you I'll be utilizing that edit (though I, again, completely disagree with it).

I'll start with wookiepedia since it is generally considered good enough for almost everything here, and then move on to a couple source books that list the aspects and descriptions of various creatures in the star wars universe for roleplaying purposes.

1. The wookiepedia article for Ysalamiri states the creatures themselves actually use the force in order to project their bubbles, through the use of an ability wookiepedia has labeled Force Suppression, an ability any force user can learn and use with enough skill/mastery. This is an important distinction because it goes further to say this: "Ysalamiri did not actually negate the Force; since all existence was infused with Force energy,[4] this would not be possible. Rather, they projected a bubble inside which users were unable to exert any influence over the Force. A single bubble measured up to 10 meters in diameter; large groups of ysalamiri could extend their collective bubble by kilometers, but only in great numbers." So, what that tells me is they are using the force to "push back" the force at a strength greater than almost any known force user (with the possible exception of Legends Luke Skywalker, though I don't personally known enough about that). Additionally, it states that their innate secondary ability to share power with other Ysalamiri is only in response to the presence of other Ysalamiri, not necessarily the presence of another force-suppressing field (an example of this distinction would be if a Force User attempted to use force suppression on a Ysalamiri, the bubble would not grow larger as a result and the Ysalamiri would push that influence out anyway since its resistance is stronger than the force users power). This was in response to an evolutionary arms race between the Ysalamiri, and the Vornskr who hunted them through the force, which is an important point I will make clear in the next couple of sources.
  2. In the rule book for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Ultimate Adversaries, p. 132, found at https://rpg.rem.uz/S...Adversaries.pdf, the language used further strengthens the fact that the Ysalamiri used the force to "push back" against the force, and that their ability to merge their fields is one of sharing power with their neighbors. It elaborates that this ability was a developmental one in response to predation by Vornskr, and made it difficult for the predators to sense them. The fact that being hunted by force sensitive Vornskr was not made impossible by their unique ability should be an indication that the field itself is not infinitely strong, and could be theoretically bested if given enough evolutionary time.
  3. In the rule book for the SAGA EDITION Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Threats of the Galaxy, p. 131, found at http://www.lauterwas... the Galaxy.pdf, the language used continues to cement that the Ysalamiri ability is indeed their own use of the force, to "push back" and repel against the influence of the force. It additionally contributes to this by saying the ability was in response to their primary predator, the Vornskr, relying on the force to locate prey (the Ysalamiri), and that their defense mechanism made them more difficult to locate by the Vornskr. Once more, the impressive feats of the Ysalamiri are made to clearly originate in the force, in a manner that is dependent on the individual and collective strength of the Ysalamiri, which thus is not infinitely strong, and appears to severely dampen (but not necessarily extinguish) the abilities of their force sensitive predator to locate them (this might be exclusive to Vornskr, however).
  4. Additionally, there are many various examples of force users utilizing abilities that are turned against them, and harm them in various manners. The most obvious one in the movies being Palpatine's own lightning being reflected from Windu's lightsaber and disfiguring him (whether that was on purpose is a different manner of debate), though this is most certainly a different ability than the one we are looking at here. That ability being Force Suppression, which can be closely associated with Sever Force, which is an ability several figures have been known to inflict on themselves through the force, to cut themselves off from it. Since the Ysalamiri are one with the force, and distinctly not force dead, they are still subject to the effects of the force. They are impressively resistant of course, more so than nearly any other known force user living or dead, but still a part of it like any other living thing (save for the Yuuzhan Vong).

So, with all of that out of the way, I will then direct you to the wookiepedia article for the Universal Energy Cage, which states that it is not only capable of containing the force powers of a Jedi (thus by extension all force users) but reflecting them back on them two-fold. This means that any force power, all force powers, are reflected back onto their caster at twice their original strength. This is where I begin to question: "Okay so it does that, what happens when you cast canon's most powerful defensive force technique back in on itself, twice as strong as it is able to push back?"

Well naturally, the reflection being twice as strong as whatever strength a Ysalamiri has to "push it back", the reflection is going to win out and apply its effects, which ultimately weakens and suppresses one's connection to the force, causing the negative feedback loop that I have described in the submission above.

To say otherwise would be to contradict the canon that informs us that the Ysalamiri are one with the force, and use the force to generate their unique effects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though I understand that you must make a judgement, so judge as you will and inform me what changes if any, need to be made to conform to Chaos canon.

P.S. [member="Connory"] also gets partial credit for providing me with a couple of my sources in the following thread I drew inspiration from: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/124051-the-working-group/?p=1727106

Triam Akovin said:
So, with all of that out of the way, I will then direct you to the wookiepedia article for the Universal Energy Cage, which states that it is not only capable of containing the force powers of a Jedi (thus by extension all force users) but reflecting them back on them two-fold. This means that any force power, all force powers, are reflected back onto their caster at twice their original strength. This is where I begin to question: "Okay so it does that, what happens when you cast canon's most powerful defensive force technique back in on itself, twice as strong as it is able to push back?"
I'm going to directly challenge the wookieepedia article on this, after checking several sources for the article. I'll share screenshots below, and I can continue searching for other sources of the Universal Energy Cage if you want, but all signs point to the Universal Energy Cage not actually reflecting the force powers themselves, but instead creating an electric feedback to stun or harm the person inside.

From the Essential Guide to Weapons, pages 150 & 151: (I can provided a zoomed in image if you want)
90-e9b870aa03.jpg
From Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear, page 74:
From Star Wars RPG: Jedi Academy Training Manuel, page 64:

All in all, while I can see this barrier (or at least the original technology in the form of a universal energy cage) as stopping force powers from reaching beyond the energy field or barrier, I don't see it actually reflecting the powers themselves back on the person or thing using them. This is based on the three sources I've checked, however, so if you have another that goes further into detail than these I'd be welcome to see it.

[member="Lily Kuhn"] just for my own personal curiosity and interest, would you mind checking the other listed sources if possible? I am unsure how to do it myself, and I've just been kind of scrounging around for other peoples sources, like Connory's for example. I rely heavily on Wookiepedia for information and understand due to its nature it isn't always accurate.

Aside from that though, I agree with your sources and am disappointed in being mislead and made hopeful by its prospects if the article in question is in actuality, inaccurate.

In light of that, I don't see this working as intended given the technology "backing it" doesn't actually work the way I thought it did. From what I am now to understand, the prison worked by utilizing force fields that contained the force powers of an individual from effecting things outside of it, and any energy applied to it just activated an energy discharge at least comparable to the amount of energy exerted by the prisoner?

With this being a barrier, I think a potential fix here would be to turn the "Disproportional Retribution" into a "Proportional Retribution", where it does reflect most types of energy/projectiles (due to ultrachrome) but it also acts as a barrier to force abilities through the use of the superconductive coil/force field thing (similar to Ray shield in effect, except slightly of a physical nature), and just discharges stored energy it collects from force attacks (not something as passive as a Ysalamiri field) in a manner similar to Retribution feedback shielding? Would that be a reasonable fix if the wookiepedia article is truly erroneous?

P.S. If the UEC did work the way I thought it did, did I construct a good/convincing argument for how I intended to use it?

[member="Triam Akovin"]
I can't access the old magazines or webpages that no longer exist, so the only remaining source I can access is the D6 Dark Empire sourcebooks, which seems to agree with the three sources above. Here's a screenshot from page 129 of the Dark Empire sourcebook:
It should be noted that in the game notes (which is below all the RPG stats at the bottom of the page, not included in my image above) it mentions that the force field blocks mental abilities, too, along with physical force powers, so I would argue that the Ysalamir field could possibly be blocked by the force field itself, but that's a strong if and is largely conjecture. I wouldn't be opposed to your barrier/shield submission being used to keep the field from passing through it (i.e; the ysalamir field wouldn't extend beyond the shield, directly behind it)

[member="Lily Kuhn"], thank you very much for humoring me. It means a lot!

Anyway, I have edited the submission reflecting new knowledge. As it stands now, the barrier reflects most forms of energy attack at a proportional strength, including offensive force powers via an energy discharge in response, and additionally prevents the influence of the force from crossing the barrier directly due to a ray shield-like effect of the overlapping superconductor coils.

I have also added an additional weakness, highlighting that continuous energy poured into the barrier will eventually cause its response mechanisms to fail, and thus melt the ultrachrome uniformly, destroying the barrier, similar to the turbolaser barrage weakness except the factor is time instead of intensity.

All mention of "double" or "twice intensity" should be removed as well, along with any mention of Ysalamiri dulling effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom