Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggested changes in starship template

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
OK I posted this in the skype but here will be better.

First
Speed/maneuvering

for maneuvering this is what the destroyer template states.
Maneuverability: ( The lower the number, the more maneuverable the ship. How agile is your ship? Can it take tight turns? Please provide your vessel a Maneuverability Rating on a scale 0-20, with 1 being crazy agile like a TIE Interceptor, 10 being average, and 20 being slower to turn than a bantha.)

Speed currently reads as

Speed Rating: (The lower the number, the faster the ship. How fast is your ship in normal space? How fast can it take off, how fast can it speed through a planet's atmosphere? Please provide your vessel a Speed Rating on a scale 0-20, with 0 being infinite speed, 1 being crazy fast like the Millenium Falcon and 20 being slower than the Dewback.)

Can we add the part of 10 being average

also not all the templates have this so can we update all the templates to this.

Next
Armament

Armaments currently read as follows

Armament: (You may provide your armament in list format and/or provide your vessel an Armament Rating on a scale of 0-20, where 0 is no weapons, 1 is very light weapons, 5 is light weapons/light defense, 10 is medium weapons/medium defense, and 20 is heaviest weapons/heaviest defense. Armament Ratings are scaled in relation to the type of ship, meaning a Starfighter will not equate to a Destroyer. Armament Ratings provide only basic weaponry and cannot be written as anything other than it, unless the ship also has special weapons. Links: Armament Rating, Starship Weapons, Approved Technology, Standardized Load Outs)

Can we change the "10 is medium weapons/medium defense" to "10 is average weapons average defense"

A writer recently stated he considered a normal ship to be 16 to 18 so that his ship at 19 was not heavy gun. I feel like a normal ship should be 10

Next
Rules LInk

Add "please read the rules for factory submissions" as a note with a link to the rules at the top of the template. I seems like no one is really reading the rules.

the link should lead to these rules Link I feel people see the rules listed on the template page and never see these. Maybe the rules on the template page could be amended to list these rules also?

Next
Destroyers for minor factions

remove "Only Major Factions may own multiple Destroyers." this is very misleading since minor factions can not have 1 at all. They are not allowed ships over 999 meters which is a cruiser per the templates. maybe it shoudl read "Only major factions may own destroyers"

[member="Rusty"] [member="Bianca"] [member="Darth Vulkan"] [member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Netherworld"] [member="Raziel"] [member="Cira"] [member="Ordo"]

Reshmar said:
OK I posted this in the skype but here will be better.

First
Speed/maneuvering

for maneuvering this is what the destroyer template states.
Maneuverability: ( The lower the number, the more maneuverable the ship. How agile is your ship? Can it take tight turns? Please provide your vessel a Maneuverability Rating on a scale 0-20, with 1 being crazy agile like a TIE Interceptor, 10 being average, and 20 being slower to turn than a bantha.)

Speed currently reads as

Speed Rating: (The lower the number, the faster the ship. How fast is your ship in normal space? How fast can it take off, how fast can it speed through a planet's atmosphere? Please provide your vessel a Speed Rating on a scale 0-20, with 0 being infinite speed, 1 being crazy fast like the Millenium Falcon and 20 being slower than the Dewback.)

Can we add the part of 10 being average

also not all the templates have this so can we update all the templates to this.
Disagree. See my other thread for my notion on way forward for standardising judging and dev

Next
Armament

Armaments currently read as follows

Armament: (You may provide your armament in list format and/or provide your vessel an Armament Rating on a scale of 0-20, where 0 is no weapons, 1 is very light weapons, 5 is light weapons/light defense, 10 is medium weapons/medium defense, and 20 is heaviest weapons/heaviest defense. Armament Ratings are scaled in relation to the type of ship, meaning a Starfighter will not equate to a Destroyer. Armament Ratings provide only basic weaponry and cannot be written as anything other than it, unless the ship also has special weapons. Links: Armament Rating, Starship Weapons, Approved Technology, Standardized Load Outs)

Can we change the "10 is medium weapons/medium defense" to "10 is average weapons average defense"

A writer recently stated he considered a normal ship to be 16 to 18 so that his ship at 19 was not heavy gun. I feel like a normal ship should be 10

I don;t see this will make a difference. See my other thread for my way forward on this.
Next
Rules LInk

Add "please read the rules for factory submissions" as a note with a link to the rules at the top of the template. I seems like no one is really reading the rules.

the link should lead to these rules Link I feel people see the rules listed on the template page and never see these. Maybe the rules on the template page could be amended to list these rules also?

Next
Destroyers for minor factions

remove "Only Major Factions may own multiple Destroyers." this is very misleading since minor factions can not have 1 at all. They are not allowed ships over 999 meters which is a cruiser per the templates. maybe it shoudl read "Only major factions may own destroyers"
Agreed

[member="Rusty"] [member="Bianca"] [member="Darth Vulkan"] [member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Netherworld"] [member="Raziel"] [member="Cira"] [member="Ordo"]

Reshmar said:
Speed currently reads as Speed Rating: (The lower the number, the faster the ship. How fast is your ship in normal space? How fast can it take off, how fast can it speed through a planet's atmosphere? Please provide your vessel a Speed Rating on a scale 0-20, with 0 being infinite speed, 1 being crazy fast like the Millenium Falcon and 20 being slower than the Dewback.) Can we add the part of 10 being average
I think this would be, overall, detrimental and add to confusion in submitting starships. A starfighter, which currently reads as an average of 2-4 speed and similar maneuverability, would then need to be 10ish to be normal, and there would be a much larger ability to make a starfighter incredibly fast with much less room to make it slower (you remove about 15 rating of speed and reduce it to about 10ish).

While, yes, a 10 speed Corvette is probably going to be faster than a 10 speed frigate, they would still generally tier their own speeds less drastically than a 10 being 0 and -10 and +10 being the new speed chart (which is what putting 10 as being the median does).

You end up with more people trying to submit faster crafts, and people overplaying their slower ships as 15 speed suddenly looks faster than 15 speed does now. It is a sudden change, too, which would be way too confusing for both veteran factory goers and factory judges alike, as even recent ships are on the same 1-20 scale we've done since I was recruited as a factory judge at day one of 3.0.

Reshmar said:
A medium armaments would be 10, average would be misleading. We're going off of the degree of weapons for the ship itself, not for an average of all ships in the factory/galaxy. If we called 0 being no armaments, and 20 being incredibly heavy armaments, 10 wouldn't be the average armaments, it would be the medium/median. The common mistake with scales is that the average is often attributed to be the median, whereas the average is actually what is most common (all added together and divided by the total).

So if the average for frigates (let's say a 400 m frigate with normal speed/man and no advanced systems) is about 40-50, and the medium is about 20, the average is going to be 40-50 and is quite different than what medium actually is. 20 in this scenario, also, would be hugely skewed. If 20 is the maximum allowed guns on the ship of that size, and 1/0 is the minimum, 10 is going to be the number around the middle of those two, rather than what is most commonly acceptable.

Reshmar said:
Destroyers for minor factions remove "Only Major Factions may own multiple Destroyers." this is very misleading since minor factions can not have 1 at all. They are not allowed ships over 999 meters which is a cruiser per the templates. maybe it shoudl read "Only major factions may own destroyers"
Minor factions may not be allowed to, but companies over tier 3 are perfectly capable of doing so. It is very accurate to state that only Major factions may own multiple destroyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom