Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden Falls

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
The Core
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

Kurt frowned slightly as he looked down at the small datapad in his hand, his fingers smushing against the side of the device as he tried to reset the damned thing. He shook it for a moment, turning it upside down a second later before shaking it once again. The screen flashed for a moment, then turned black. "Ugh."

The Courier said quietly to himself, turning on his heel.

"Kaile!" He called up the ramp of The Messa, irritation somewhat clear within his voice. They had landed on this planet about three days ago, setting down on one of the cliffs of the western most continent. The planet itself was relatively normal, a huge ocean with a single supermassive continent. There was a lot of volanic activity, and when they'd landed they'd spotted a massive storm forming in the north, but it wasn't really anything too unique.

What was far more unique about the planet was it's location.

The world was dangerously close to a black hole, placed almost smack dad in the center of the Galaxy. They were safe here on the planet itself, but an incorrect heading during a hyperspace jump would see you instantly dragged out and likely killed in an instant. It was an unpleasant thought, and a fact that Kurt had kept to himself when they'd made their inital approach to the planet.

"It broke again." He waved the scanner as he stepped on board the ship and walked into the Galley. "Why does the Alliance even give us this stuff if it doesn't work half the time."

The device was supposed to scan the planets atmosphere, but half the time it broke.

Part of that might have been because Kurt had dropped it on their first ever survey mission...but there was no proof of that.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

[SIZE=9pt]A strawberry blonde head popped out from the corner of the threshold. Tuffs of muted red gold stands stood on end, rebelling against the two thick plaits along the side of her head. Kaileann had braided them earlier this morning, needing some manner to keep the long length of hair away from her neck cause it just felt so HOT![/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Whatcha do this time?” Her sing song voice went floating over to her best friend, the woman conducting a half waddle due to the boloball sized bump on her belly. The wide and long ‘Tatooine Womprats’ tshirt wasn’t doing much for hiding her condition; not that she was one to hide it. She was pregnant and that was that. Course that only brought on some interesting dilema’s now and then -- like the cravings for Rodian pickles with their meat sauce spaghetti. It was just so deliciously tangy![/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]The agent came down, giving a little half grunt and puff from her mouth, moving to try and peek on over to see what Kurt had on the scanner. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Ya’ll didn’t smack it against the bulkhead again, did ya?” her chocolate brown eyes went peering up at the scruffy faced pilot. He had a Banthalick making half of his hair stand up on the right side of his head. Ain’t no manner of finger raking through it that would tame it down. A half flutter went sailing across her belly, as if the baby also concurred at the possibility. She gave the top crest of the curve a small pat. A half snort came from her nose in mild amusement.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Here, hand it over.” her hand came out, palm up, waiting for him to give it to her. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Go on, what data feed did you get last anyways?”[/SIZE]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"Here." Kurt just wasn't really all that good when it came to electronics.

It was hard to actually get them to work properly and half the time when it didn't he couldn't understand the data that they spewed out. The Courier, or rather former Courier, knew that it was all important, but generally he let Kaile to be the one that deciphered everything. He far preferred to fly around the new planets they discovered and take pictures, usually the survey scans were far easier to look at than the general data reading they got from these devices.

He frowned as he handed the device to Kaile.

"I was trying to check nitrogen levels." He told her. "Though why we have to is beyond me."

They already knew that they could breath the air here, he'd been doing it for the last fifteen minutes after all. Yet the Alliance wanted more details, they wanted to know exact geological make ups, how the atmosphere was composed, and sometimes even what the core of the planet was made of. They had explained that all of those things can effect weather patterns and other formations on the planet, thus effecting colonization options, but Kurt really wasn't sure if that was true.

He thought they were trying to annoy him. "Weather looks fine."

Kurt said with a shrug, looking back at the beautiful clear blue skies.

Needing to sit while tinkering with the scanner, Kaile's fingers swung a nearby chair over to plop herself down. That brought some much needed relief for her feet. They've been taking to swelling now and then, prompting a distinct lack of shoes. Bare toes gave a wiggle, her chocolate brown eyes lifting to peer over to the viewport. Kurt was right. It was a pretty day. Blue skies and rather comfortable weather. At least it wasn't humid hot. That could get to be unbearable.

"Well, who knows why they want to know. Course I could never really figure out some of the things they wanted me to find out for them in the past." Secret agenting had its own crazy missions. A small flutter of nails went skittering across her shoulder. Two black beady eyes and a green, fuzzy, scale covered face. It was Bobo.

"Aint got no rhyme or reason, but they do enjoy their data." Looking at the pilot and his tousled hair amused her again," we could go down and explore that valley some more. By the lake?"

It was really nice. Rolling hills and the like. Hadn't really come up against anything dangerous.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

He frowned for a moment, glancing at her.

The thought of taking Kaile to go anywhere was...well it was troubling still. Kurt had never spent much time around pregnant women, for more reason than one. In all honesty he still wasn't quite sure just how to do things around his friend now. He wasn't awkward, just incredibly cautious.

Kurt wanted to protect her, make sure she was safe. "Uhhh."

He frowned for a moment.

The planet that they were on wasn't exactly dangerous, in fact it would be a massive stretch to call it anything of the sort. All they had found so far was beautiful oceans, massive lakes, and rolling beautiful plains of green grass. The only living creature that they had found on the planet so far where gigantic roaming balls of fuzz that reminded Kurt of Bantha. All they did was lumber around and eat grass all day, kind of cute really, but still

"Okay." He said cautiously. "But we go slowly."

It wasn't new for him to make demands like that.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

[SIZE=9pt]“What? Afraid that the fluff balls will suddenly attack?” both strawberry brows rose and the corner of Kaile’s mouth gave a twitch. It was evident that the pregnant woman was amused by the caution the pilot was exhibiting. Not that he had been anything different in the past; well, perhaps not[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] this[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] finicky, but the Lorrdian knew that her companion meant well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Don’t worry, I reckon I can yell loud enough to startle any one of them to run away.” glancing back down at the sensor, Kaile made the attempt to try and fix it. Her brows gave a deep furrow, pinching the skin in between the dark slashes over her brow. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Can make a picnic out of it -- still have some of the fruit left over from the last food run.” While she was ever pinching their credits to get the best deals, eating relatively healthy was always a top concern. More so with the insatiable runt that would kick her kidneys now and then. [/SIZE]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

Kurt flashed Kaile a brief smile, but he didn't say anything for a few seconds. The former Courier knew that Kaile was just teasing, but the idea of those fuzzy thing suddenly turning rabid was actually something that he had considered for longer than just a brief moment. He frowned and then shifted his weight to the other food.

”Alright.” He said finally.

He knew that he couldn't just keep Kaile locked up here all the time. She had to get out sometimes and admittedly it was better to do it on a planet like this than the half volcanoes they visited sometimes.

”But you don't get any alcohol. Kaile would already be aware of this and likely wouldn't ask for any. ”Or red meat.”

Not that they had any.

Kaile and Kurt were not exactly swimming in money or anything and their meals reflected that. Meat of any sort was rare here, at least prime cuts. Once or twice they had splurged on pay day, but never really beyond that. ”Let me pack, you just tell me what.”

The former Courier said as he slowly rounded the kitchen counter.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

[SIZE=9pt]Another snort came puffing out of Kaile’s nose, this time along with a flicker of her tawny eyes. Mirth went dancing across them as she added, “What? Wlll the sandwiches also come out to jump at me?” it was meant to tease, the woman giving a half roll of her eyes. She appreciated the sentiment, but she was pregnant, not made of glass. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“I can handle making a couple of sandwiches.” a shake of the scanner at this direction would allude to her intentions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Besides, I think you ate the last of the cold cuts.” well, more like dehydrated meat packets. Even out in the coreworlds, fresh food was expensive, and they weren’t really rolling in the credits to splurge now and then. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“But you can get the pretzel packets.” he’d like those, knowing Kurt. They were one of his favorite snack foods. Turning back to the scanner, she focused her attention. Her fingers were slightly coated in the grime that had dusted the scanner; while it had been a relatively nice day, a gust or two would still pick up a bit of dirt of the ground.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“So have you’ve talked to your ma and pa lately?” small talk while she would concentrate on the scanner. Something was off. Maybe a wire loose? [/SIZE]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

Kurt dug around the cabinet for a moment, first pulling out two packets before frowning slightly and then taking out a third. The lake was still quite a walk away and he would probably get hungry on the way there, better to pack more than less.

Besides, after this trip they would get paid and then get to go on another run for food. It was a good thing too, mostly because they were already starting to run out of supplies. They had the emergency rations of course, those would last them another three weeks if things got really bad, but Kurt knew that it wouldn't come to that. It never did. They were pretty poor, but they weren't starving just yet. Kaile always made sure of that, and Kurt made sure they had just enough money for her to make sure.

It was a complicated system, but one that worked. "Last week."

Kurt wasn't the type to let too long go by between talks with his parents. Unlike some others he didn't despise or detest or even really argue with his mother and father. By and large his parents supported him in almost everything that he did, even Joinin the Republic Navy. It wasn't something they had liked, but in the end they had backed his decision.

"They're good." He told her. "The moisture is apparently not sprouting this year."

That was a classic Moisture Farmer joke on Tatooine, always got laughs.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

It had the intended effect of making the corner of Kaile's mouth twitch anew. "Oh no... whatever will he do?" she added wryly, her fingers playing with a sensor on the scanner. Ah, hah!, So that was it. A quick adjustment and then there was a distinct beep.

"There." a quick twist of a knob and the small sensor gave a whir. A series of lights went flashing over the screen and soon it was taking measurements on the nitrogen in the area.

"Not much of a difference from last time around," she admitted. Glancing up at Kurt, she let her gaze wander over him. Watching him as he went along doing housekeeping for a picnic. Brows went jutting forward again in mild thought. Yeah, this is where they are months after Sullust. Hopping from one planet to the next to scan... well, whatever it is for charting. It was a paycheck. It was safe.

It was boring.

Truth be told, if Kaile felt restless, she was sure that Kurt did as well. The guilt came again. It would be easier if he could just do whatever he wanted without having to lug her from place to place. Maybe I can broach the subject later...

A thought came back to the last time she had, and how he'd reacted then. A grimace drew over her mouth, lingering only for a second. Well, okay maybe think it through.

"Well that's good that they are doing fine." She slowly got to her feet, flexing her toes along the way.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"Yeah they'll make it through." There was really never any doubt about that.

For all the flak that Tatooine got, nothing ever really changed there. It wasn't like Coruscant or Naboo or...well any other famous planet. No one really wanted Tatooine, no one ever invaded there and no one ever really did anything to the populace. It was because to most of the galaxy Tatooine was nothing but a ball of sand and dust. For Kurt it was something entirely different of course, but others just didn't see that. For a moment he simply mused on that fact, then slipped the pretzels into a small wicker basket Kaile had picked up at some garage sale in the mid-rim.

"I think they're going to try and expand the farm." He said quietly. "Get some land from a nearby Tusken Tribe."

Dealing with the tribes was always iffy at best, especially because they didn't really go for the whole concept of 'owning' land. The Tusken's always sort of operated on the basis that Tatooine was theirs and everyone else was just guests. Of course it helped that his father had been friendly with the Tuskens for years, they defended in land and in return he gave them water and mechanical supplies.

Once or twice he'd even fixed a few things up around their encampments. "They asked if we were going to visit."

His mother was rather eager to have him back home, and of course they had asked after both Kaile and Jamie. His parents were kind people, and they knew of Kurt's entire...rather confusing situation. His father had chalked it all up to young people and his mother hadn't really commented, but they again tried their best to support him. It was what they did, who they were. Kurt loved them for it.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Now that was a thought. Kaile's expression would perk in consideration. She gave a small nibble of her lower lip, working the flesh as her hand gave her belly a thoughtful rub. "We could go visit." she began, glancing up at Kurt. With having to do survey scans, they hadn't really done much to go places that they knew. While there was some excitement at charting worlds of little population or information, it still wasn't as thrilling as going to Tatooine. Or him seeing the ever illusive Jamie.

"Might be something to consider. Doubt we'd be put off much by taking a break with the survey and heading on out to visit for a bit." there wasn't really much going on, at least that she knew of around there. Wouldn't be trouble. What she didn't know was that the Galactic Empire was moving in to potentially end up overseeing the sector.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

He shrugged.

"We don't have to make decision any time soon." His parents weren't going anywhere, though of course Kurt didn't know about the Empire either. If he did learn however he would doubt that they would cause much trouble. His homeworld wasn't much worth to anyone, nothing to mine, nothing to exploit, it was just a bunch of smugglers and low life pirates.

Aside from Arceneau Trade anyway, but they could handle themselves.

"Come on." He said as he hefted the basket onto the table. "Let's get going."

Though he still wasn't entirely sure about the whole idea, mostly because he was afraid a meteor would fall from the sky and crash on Kaile, he knew that these small trips made her happy. Emotions were always running high with pregnant women, and Kurt didn't want to risk Kaile exploding in a bubble of hormones.

Best to just go on the picnic and enjoy some of the sights.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

"First you are all, let's be cautious!" Kaile would cry out after him, amusement dancing across her features and coating her voice. She blew a puff of hot air out of her mouth, tossing the strawberry waves of her long bangs away from her face. While the braids assisted in keeping the bulk of her hair away from her face and neck, there were still a few stragglers that were determined to make a fuss.

"And I know we don't have to do so now, I was just tossin's the idea out there." she would add, setting the scanner down on the table. Following after Kurt was a small feat in itself, but at least the Mesa wasn't too big of a distance from the galley out to the lounge.

"I mean.. we don't have to go to Tatooine. " a pause, "Could try other places too."

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]\

He shrugged.

It was of course always a question of money in the end. They reallly didn't have a lot to their name, and between port calls, fuel, and other costs they had to be careful where they went and for how long. It wasn't like anyone could just come to bail them out. "Home is good."

Kurt said with a smile.

"Mom and Dad will be happy to have us there." It was an entirely true statement. Kurt's parents would be overjoyed even if they stayed for just a day or so. Couple that with his connections he could probably get some pretty cheap fuel there too. It was a good option, though admittedly from where they were now Tatooine was just a bit out of the way. "Where else would you want to go?"

That was the other question, they didn't have many safe options. Kaile was pregnant, and bringing her anywhere near one of the many war zones in the galaxy was not something that Kurt wanted to do at all, especially considering what had happened between the First Order and the Alliance.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

That questions brought along with it a slight pause to the Lorrdian. A shift of her weight from left foot to right. A glance that went darting over to her room, where the small little datachip lay to a carefully crafted astromap and a music list from a scruffy faced scoundrel with gold flecked green eyes.

Where else would you want to go?

In her mind a mental map would bloom. Words went drifting and she found her mind wandering.

So just gonna go to any olacademy or a specific one?

'I was thinking Sullust or Eriadu. I think I’d stand by the Alliance, but it's a question of where to train really. Eriadu would probably take me as a native, but Sullust might ask questions of where I’ve been travelling recently. You know I’ve met a lot of mechanics been plying their trade a long ‘ol while. Doesn’t guarantee they’re any good at it!'

Both are good options I’m sure… but regardless… you’ll get to see all sorts of constellations from a home ship no?

'Visit new worlds and systems. Drop bombs on them! I'm pretty sure that's what the GADF adverts say anyway...I should probably take into account these hot springs and mud baths on Sullust you told me about. You're not there often are you?'

Swallowing hard, Kaile forced a half smile on her lips. It wasn't her fault that she thought about Eriadu or Sullust. But those were places that neither she nor Kurt could really fall back. Not now, the thought ran through her mind, her hand unconsciously rubbing the curve of her belly. There a light fluttering motion almost poked at her guilty conscious, the child that Asmus and she had accidentally created reminding her of the choices that had brought her to this day.

"Not now... just figured you'd like to see Tatooine again." a white lie, but a safer subject.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

Kurt flashed her a quick smile. "I would."

That was the truth. Kurt didn't really get homesick, at least not in the traditional sense, but it was nice to get back to Tatooine every now and again. He loved his homeworld, and more importantly he loved his parents. It was good to see them and he knew that they would love to see both him and Kaile. He had no doubt in his mind that the stay would be good for her too, some place that they could kick their feet up and actually relax rather than worry about money and doing whatever job came next.

That was the best part of home after all, no worries. It might not have been the same for Kaile given her...situation, but at the very least they wouldn't have to be concerned about the usual things. Kurt glanced at her as the hill they walked down began to slope a little, his muscles tensing.

He was worried she'd lose her balance, fall over, and roll down the hill like a bowling ball. "But that doesn't answer the question."

Kurt mused out loud to her.

"Where would you like to go?" There was a whole wide wide galaxy out there, and while they had to avoid some places they could maybe stop by and visit somewhere that Kaile wanted to go. There were plenty of options and hyperspace routes. Kurt wanted to make sure that Kaile didn't feel like a prisoner, that she knew she had options and choices. If she wanted to go to Spira or Borleias or some other vacation world just to rest for a while? Well they could swing that.

Even if he had to dig into his secret savings stash.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

[SIZE=9pt]Where would you like to go?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]He was being insistent, and while Kaile knew he meant well and was thinking about her, it still made her mind wander. To the music playlist. To the endless curiosity that had resulted in the Lorrdian wondering just where the would be Academy pilot be?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Kaile’s face fell to the ground, making sure to take careful steps. While they were both active enough, the ground was still covered with grass and grit. It would be easy to accidently trip. With her belly popping out as it did, it also made walking a bit difficult. Not by much but a bit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Not sure.” she finally said, taking a small huffing breath. Arms came up, trying to maintain her balance. It was a half lie. How would Asmus be doing? Would he have started the academy now? Was he having fun?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Oh the mind had a terrible way of making her mind wander. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Reckon there a lots of places. Maybe stop by a Yum Bunnies?” a safe answer. “Haven’t had one of their spicy bantha wings in a long while.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Up ahead would be the lake, crystalline and shimmering under the rays of the sun. It was a nice day out. There were distant fluffs of fuzz out in the prairies, lazily hovering around. Bobo took to clinging to her shoulder, his black beady eyes ever so watchful and looking for anything that might pop up. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“How about you?” Kurt was rather quiet about all other things lately, but he did do his best to watch over her. [/SIZE]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

Naboo. That was the first thing that sprang to mind, though he didn't really want to go for the sake of planet. He missed Jamie terribly, though he knew that even if he went there he couldn't suddenly spend all of his time with her.

She was an important person now, and although he was sure shed make time for him part of him also knew that it was best not to interrupt her work. ”You know..”

Kurt trailed off.

A part of what he liked about being a Courier had always been the fact that he got to travel. Hed gotten to see dozens of planets with thousands of different species
. It had been interesting, unique, and eye opening beyond anything that he could have ever imagined as a kid. Yet what he'd never found out on any of those planets was one simple thing.

A friend.

”I’m okay here.” Kurt said as he looked around the grass field, his eyes fixing on the lake for just a moment before they drifted to Kaile. ”With my best friend.”

He gave her a smile. What he said was true. Though he wanted to be with Jamie, Kurt was more than pleased to be here. He was happy looking after Kaile, making sure his friend was okay.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Reading him was like reading a well known book or the back of her hand. Kaile's expression would soften and she shined him a soft smile. "I know." was her reply, the woman ambling up beside him. Her arms made the attempt to wrap around his waist, snaking through and snuggling close. Well as close as she could with the baby bump in the way. Pressed close, Kurt would be able to feel a little kick, prompting Kaile's eyes to widen and laugh.

"Okay, so maybe this little tyke agrees." she gave a chuckle, taking a deep breath. Now wasn't the time to brood. Had to look forward. Kaile had made her choice and she had to stick with them. It was best for everyone involved.

"Come on, let's find a place to lay down for a bit and eat."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom