Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranded (Lady Kay; Kellan)

1.jpg

It was to the sound of crashing thunder that Kellan awoke: his heart pumping raucously against the pitter-patter of rain in the background. It was time. He jumped from his compact metal bed, hastily snatching his LAR-34 blaster from its bedside holster, and made his way quickly out of the cramped hut he called home. "It's time." Kellan thought to himself in excitement. It was time, as Kellan holstered the blaster and keyed in a code to open the small alcove hiding his hut: time to go outside and enjoy the cool rain and fresh air. Kellan watched as the metal door slid open and allowed storm winds to throw cool rain against his face. He smiled in spite of himself before making a beeline toward the beachfront with a feeling of vindication. Kellan had made the decision to wear his waterskin to sleep in case it rained because the rains on this planet were heavy but fleeting, and he did not want to miss his chance to listen with the world music at the beach.

The trees made a verdant blur as Kellan deftly maneuvered through the tropical forest. He knew every path and landmark, even in the rain: one of the advantages of years spent on the island in complete solitude with little to do. As the green of the forest gave way to the muted beige sand, Kellan skidded to a stop before quickly surveying the beach where he came out. Swiftly he found the rocky section and, after a couple of seconds, spotted his favorite place to meditate. He traversed the distance before jumping onto a rock that jutted about 7 feet above the surf and sat a few yards from the shoreline. He finally settled down with a grin on his face and pulled his music player from the utility belt around his waist. Placing one bud in each ear, he could hear the music playing and was suddenly thrust into another world. He reached out with his feelings. First, he felt only that closest to him: the energy within himself, almost palpitating to the hypnotic music in his ears; the rain and ocean spray bouncing off his skin in a stuttered rhythm. Next, a little further: the energy pushing the waves, the rain tittering along their surface, all converging before diverging 'round his roost. Further still: the depth of the ocean contrasted with the height of the trees in the forest, both teeming with life, both brimming with energy. Everything was following its own rhythm, flowing together, combining with the music playing to form a composition more expansive than words could describe.

Kellan could feel himself becoming a part of the grand orchestra, feeling and somehow understanding the movements conducted by the force that bound all of this together. He could pretend he was the conductor, breathing in, pulling the force in with the air before crashing it all outward like waves in the ocean. Predicting where the crash of lightning would bring the bass of thunder and feeling content in the feeling that he belonged there amidst the symphony. As quickly as it came, the storm was gone and with it the feeling of belonging. Kellan dropped back onto the rock, putting away his music player before looking longingly ahead at the storm racing toward the horizon. Like the receding tide, he returned to his hut: preparing a meal of picked fruit and fish to eat: alone, as he had been for so long he had stopped counting the time. He had all but given up on the idea of ever seeing them again, the parents who left him, only stopping sometimes to wonder what he had done. He laid back down to bed, falling into the numbing arms of sleep, and passing over into the world of his dreams.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
A distress beacon had been sent out a while ago. It was so heavily encrypted that it took CSA intelligence officials a while to crack it. The message it contained was for Kay's eyes only, to which it was sent directly to her. She read it over, a frown appearing as she knew well and good of what it had meant.

One of her friends had met his end.

Although that was bad news in itself, there was worse news still. He had had a son, one that was hidden away. And now, with both the absence of both parents, that boy was all on his own. A terrible predicament to be in. How long the boy had been there on his own, she had no idea. But she was obligated to do something about it.

*********************​

The Free Lady touched down on the beach. The tide was out, so it gave ample room for the modified freighter. With the engines still running, the ramp was lowered. Two uniformed guards headed down, their weapons holstered at their sides. Kay followed them soon after, dressed in her light armour. All three pairs of eyes searched the perimeter, looking for signs of hostilities before stepping onto the dry sand. There didn't appear to be anything.

"Let's keep going. Look for any signs of a boy living here. Footprints, cut trees, firepits, anything." Her two guards nodded, taking the lead. It was time to do a bit of beachcombing. Kay kept her eyes level with the horizon. No doubt the Free Lady made enough noise to attract attention.

[member="Kellan"]

Kellan had just woken up, this time it was daylight with no pitter patter of rain, an uneventful morning spent eating a breakfast of foraged fruit and nuts. He took a moment to brush his long hair before getting dressed. A moment was spared to check his food stock and see that some foraging would need to be done this morning. As Kellan reached for his utility belt and began to holster his blaster: he heard something. The alarm! The noise, loud enough to wake him up but not enough to travel through the walls of his alcove, began its steady oscillation and indicated someone entering the airspace of the island. Kellan checked the small camera covering the alcove entrance to ensure no-one was present outside the doorway. He was safe to leave.

As Kellan moved through the trees he could hear the sound of a spacecraft making an approach to land nearby. He had climbed a tree on high terrain overlooking the beach before surveying the situation laid before him. The freighter, he saw, had already landed, and three people had moved out from it with two more forward than the other who was partially hidden from view. He had only had this situation happen once before, at least since his parents last came, and he got to watch the biodroids make short work of that invader. It was strange though, they hadn't arrived yet when they should've. The only time they didn't at least show up was when his parents came and transmitted the code that would stop them from being considered hostile. "Are they... Back?" Kellan couldn't help asking himself the question. He edged down the tree, losing sight of them but reaching out to feel their relative location as he began to creep his way down toward the beach. He reached nervously to his blaster; the blaster comforted him even though he hardly knew how to use it. He was getting close to the alien group.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

If there were any footprints on the beach, they had been washed away with the tide. Kay and her guards made slow progress across the sand as they searched for any clues. Surely the transmission was decrypted correctly? She didn't exactly have the best slicers on hand, but they did do the job. Or so she thought.

One of the guards halted them. He had caught some movement among the trees. The three of them stood at the edge of it, waiting. Their weapons weren't drawn just yet, afterall, it could just be an animal. Or even worse, some innocent being of who's land that they were tresspassing on.

[member="Kellan"] appeared then, or moreso part of him did. He was still just coming towards the edge of the trees himself. His hand was on his blaster, so he was clearly on edge, and probably rightly so. Kay stepped forward so that she was beside her guards, her hands raised to shoulder level, palms up to indicate that she wasn't looking for a fight. "Hello there. What's your name?"

Kellan was making his way down, half aware that he was visible, and he took note that one of the two intruders that were forward had motioned toward him. He kept his hand on his blaster but seeing that no weapons were drawn he was more than ok to go forward and meet them. The third moved forward into view of Kellan and raised their arms to indicate they weren't hostile, but then they spoke:

"Hello there. What's your name?"

The sound of a human voice can be startling when you haven't heard it for a long time, it had been a long time since he had even heard his own voice, and when he heard her voice ring out across the beach he jumped even after her calm demeanor. Kellan caught himself: he was frozen somewhere between diving behind a tree and standing still and hadn't really processed what was said. It didn't take long standing in that state of limbo before he processed the voice he heard as feminine, and then the thought passed through his mind. "Momma?" The word was spoken under his breath and was almost certainly inaudible against the crash of waves. Kellan smiled with tears welling up in his eyes as he began walking forward. What began with a saunter quickly escalated to half running as he looked at the distinctly feminine face and began comparing it with the blurry memories of his mother, though he did this only to verify what he felt was the only logical conclusion.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay had barely heard what [member="Kellan"] had said. Moreso she just saw the movement. It was the look in his eyes that she recognized, the sudden realization that a part of him that was missing had now been found.

His pace quickened as he moved towards them, nearly stumbling over himself it seemed. The guards placed their hands onto their blasters, yet they didn't draw. Maybe they saw the same thing in Kellan that she did.

Kay just let him go to her, though she lowered her arms. Was he going to hug her? She didn't know. "I'm not your mother, I'm afraid...Just a friend of your Father's. You are Kellan, are you not? I was sent here to find you..." Though the manner and reasons that she was sent were not joyous. Instead she only brought bad tidings.

It was when Kellan saw the guards reach for their weapons, though none were drawn, that he started to realize something was amiss. He slowed back down to a saunter. Lady Kay's voice rang out, arms lowering, and this time Kellan listened to every word.

"I, uh... I need to, uh... I need to, uh..." Kellan's face strained as he searched for the words he wanted to say. Confusion turned to frustration as his attempted dialogue was thwarted, and his face contorted to reflect his consternation before he spit out a rephrased version, "I gotta stay."

He hadn't stopped to think of why she was sent to find him: he only saw that leaving would make it harder for his parents to find him when they did decide to return.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay watched as [member="Kellan"] slowed down and lowered his arms. He seemed to almost fumble his words as disappointment was clearly visible on his face. Where once there was hope, it had all drained away from him.

And now he had wanted to stay? How long had he been here for? She gestured for her guards to relax while she spoke with the young man. He clearly wasn't a threat. "Why do you have to stay? There's nothing for you here. Your father put together an emergency plan. Should something happen to him and your mother, then a message would be dispatched to me of where to find you. It was heavily encrypted and took some time to decipher. But it led me here to you. So...I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Kellan. Your parents are gone..."

[member="Lady Kay"] spoke as Kellan fumbled over the words he was hearing and, unlike what she was saying before: this snippet of dialogue contained many words Kellan didn't understand. He hung onto the familiar; father, parents, bad, gone, and yet it took him a moment to piece together the meaning. Realization washed over his face, she was saying his parents were...The reality of the situation was much too harsh for Kellan, so his reality would see something different as he spoke,

"You... You are, uh, wr... ong..."

The punch of what he intended to say faded as he stumbled on the words. Truly, Kellan knew she wasn't wrong, but that wasn't the easy truth he wanted.

"So, I gotta stay"

The phrase recently stated left his lips much more freely, and the stubborn inflection on the last two words was unmistakable in its infantile manner.

Kay-Larr

Kay sighed. She understood why [member="Kellan"] had wanted to stay. Leaving meant facing reality and losing the thread of hope that his parents would return to him. And here she was, cutting that thread away. She didn't want to force him to leave, yet she had made a promise to his father many years ago.

"You can stay if you'd like, but you'll forever be alone. Your mother and father will not come. They have died, Kellan. I am sorry to tell you. But if you come with me as they had wanted, then you could live a more fulfilling life. You could get a sense of belonging."

Why didn't his father visit him in spirit? Maybe he wasn't strong enough in the Force to do so. Kay wasn't sure if she could either.

"I will wait at my ship for you to decide. If you haven't come by morning, then we will leave without you. Do you understand? I'm giving you time to think about this."

When [member="Lady Kay"] spoke this time the words were a lot less difficult to understand. Kellan still missed some of the words spoken, but the general message was easily grasped. The only issue to be found was how unexpected this was. He expected her to keep asking him to come with her: he expected her to meet stubborn defiance with stubborn insistence. Instead of the aforementioned, he received only blunt explanation with the expectation that he would have to deal with the news and make a decision like an adult instead of the child he never really got to be. As her words fully set in, not allowing for his fantasy, Kellan had to handle the truth. He couldn't simply watch her walk away,

"W-wait."

Kellan called out to the woman, her back now turned, with a stutter on the word.

"I think I want to... Uh... I think I want to... Come? With you..."

Kay-Larr

Kay paused in her movements, just as her guards did when [member="Kellan"] called out to them. Good. He came to his senses. Or at the very least, he chose to abide his father's wishes.

She nodded to him. "Alright then. Go and gather some of your things. I presume that you have a home here?" More than likely he had some cherished belingings. "We'll wait for you."

Of course she picked up on his broken Basic. That'll take some time to fix, but books and being with other people would help.

Kellan nodded before returning to his little hut for the last time. He pulled the kyber crystal necklace from its place and placed it around his neck before returning to the ship where [member="Lady Kay"] and her guards were waiting.

"I'm ready"

He spoke the words he had been practicing during his short trip to retrieve the necklace before looking out longingly at a coming storm not far from landfall on his small island.

Kay-Larr

Kay was standing near the ramp with a cup of tea cradled in her hands by the time that [member="Kellan"] had arrived. He didn't seem to have a bag or anything with him. Perhaps he wasn't left with anything. Yet she had no idea of how long he had lived here.

"Come on in. I've got a bunk ready for you. Are you hungry?" Idle chitchat as they walked up the ramp. Once they were on board, her pilot would begin the pre-flight procedures. "We're heading out to my home, Commenor. Do you know of it?"

When Kellan journeyed up the ramp: he couldn't be more glad than to accept an offer of food. In all of the day's excitement he hadn't really had time to eat or collect any food supplies, so he responded with fresh vigor,

"Yes!"

As to the question of Commenor, Kellan recognized it from when he and his mother traveled around in search of his father. Remembering his mother, the memory of which was still hazy, sent latent emotion welling up to the surface, but he suppressed it. When he looked back up to answer [member="Lady Kay"] he realized he didn't know how to verbalize the fact that he knew of Commenor and, in an effort to avoid the embarrassing nature of his poor speech, he chose to lie,

"Commenor? No..."

The lie wasn't the most convincing since Kellan did not have much practice in the art of lying, but he was able to avoid fumbling his words by keeping the answer simple. He thought to himself that perhaps he should stick to simple answers, and the edges of his lips curved down in self-hate at his lingual struggles.

Kay-Larr

Kay led [member="Kellan"] over to the kitchen first. She was going to take him to his bunk, but the kid was quite enthusiastic over the subject of eating. It made her wonder how much he ate in a day. Was food scarce on that island? Was he left crates of it from time to time? She had no idea.

The lie he gave was easy to spot. Like him, she too was a bad liar. But out of respect she didn't choose to pry. "Have a seat and I'll get you a little something before we take off." Already the engines hummed as they warmed up. Kay grabbed a container of biscuits and some prepared Sapir tea before she sat herself down. "It's not a meal, but a light snack. We'll eat properly at the Palace."

Shortly after Kay sat down, the Free Lady gently lifted off the ground and flew up into the atmosphere. She watched Kellan while she poured the tea like the expert she was and slid it over to him. "How long have you been here? Do you know?"

Kellan took a seat at the request of [member="Lady Kay"] as the ships engines started up. He watched as Lady Kay sat down, food in hand, and felt the slight lurch as the ship took off. When Kay spoke of a light snack, Kellan nodded enthusiastically to show he understood. The tea she then pushed to him was hot but not too hot and he took a sip of the brewed beverage before looking up to answer Kay's question,

"I think... I was, uh..."

Kellan looked down at his hands and tried to count out his age when he last remembered. He held up all ten of his fingers for Kay to see,

"This... I think..."

Kellan didn't understand the question was in regard to the length of time spent on the island so he instead answered as if she was asking him for his current age. He instead gave the age he was when he last saw his parents because it was the age he remembered.

Kay-Larr

Kay poured herself a cup and then set the kettle down on the side. She cradled the cup in both of her hands and had a sip, watching as [member="Kellan"] tried to answer her question. He didn't seem to quite understand what she was asking.

This was going to take a while.

Kay was never really a teacher, at least not in the academic sense. But she did know people that were. Kellan was going to require a lot of tutoring and for his parent's sake, she owed him at least that.

"Well, you've been there a long time then, as you look at least twice that. Did you have any visitors at all?" She wasn't sure if he had been alone all of this time, or if he had anyone drop by at all, friend or foe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom