Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore Starlin's Book of Rhymes

Status
Not open for further replies.
rfV3PVcrwuks6NISkWwN8dEMHimPkjO5WgqXbHvO_eg.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Media Name: Starlin Rand's Book of Rhymes
  • Format: Personal Journal/Notebook
  • Distribution: Unique
  • Length: Minuscule
  • Description: This is a personal collection of rhymes invented by Starlin Rand, based on spells taught to him by his master Syd Celsius Syd Celsius . He finds it easier to remember the phrases if they rhyme. The collection also doubles as a songbook, with him scribbling down lyrics in addition to the spells - a neat way of hiding what it really is from prying eyes.
SOCIAL INFORMATION
  • Author: Starlin Rand
  • Publisher: N/A
  • Reception: N/A
FORMAT INFORMATION
Starlin's book of rhymes is a beat-up little leatherbound notebook (slightly longer than the length of his hand from wrist to fingertip, and about the same thickness as his thumb) with flimsiplast pages. It is very unassuming in appearance. The cover is unmarked, although the first page identifies it as belonging to Starlin and includes contact information in case it gets lost and somebody else finds it.

CONTENT INFORMATION

Many of the rhymes feature false starts and rejected lines, which have been crossed out or erased. A few examples include the following:

Spell of Strength: "Ashla, grant me the strength of the Rancor; show me I can be strong without anger."

Sonic/Light Spell: "When my enemies threaten, Ashla, let your glare deafen…"

Spell of Sonic Flames: "Let my enemies waste their breath; Ashla, hide me from the scream of death…"

Ward Against the Dark: "I walk in shadow and darkness; Ashla, shield me from wickedness…"

Conjure Weapon: "So that I may continue to play this game unmaimed, Ashla, conjure a weapon from the Infinite Flame!"

Spell of Sand Teleportation: "Ashla, make a (tearing?) portal from the grains of the Earth, so that I may know what these grains of sand are worth!

Spell of Stealth Fire: "So that this problem I might rectify, Ashla, hide me from the Outer Eye…"

Spell of Imprisonment: Molten metal and a dozen witches duly dreaded; Ashla, repurpose this as a receptacle for the wretched… Molten metal and cold iron where darkness fears to... tread? ‘tread’, ‘wretch-ed’… ‘to tread’, ‘wretched’... "Molten metal and cold iron mark where darkness fears to tread; Ashla, repurpose this as a receptacle for the wretched."

Spell of Kinetic Flames: "The way is long and the road is narrow, Ashla, shield me from the slings and arrows."

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
"Holy Crap. Starlin Rand went Etrigan. He went Etrigan right out the gate. Syd was just unnatural enough to be subconsciously impressed by this. As the bright blue flames erupted Syd instantly figured out how his words of power needed to manifest, and given how powerful they were, Syd realized just how much magical potential Starlin was displaying." - Syd Celsius, "Journeyman to Flame"​

Starlin Rand is a Jedi Padawan. In addition to the typical training of a Jedi, his master, Syd Celsius, has seen fit that he be taught "magic", which includes spells. Syd will give him a simple phrase, always beginning by addressing "Ashla" (one of the moons of Tython, also associated with the feminine personification of the Light) and making a request for something which enhances or augments Starlin's own power in the Force. Starlin finds all these phrases somewhat difficult to remember, so he decided to start coming up with catchy rhymes in addition to the spell which he can memorize. The benefit of this has proven twofold; not only is it easier for him to recall specific spells, the rhymes also seem to be strengthened in power by the creativity he exercises with them.

Also, it's just plain fun.

Last edited:
Residential Archfey
Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Pretty nifty just a couple things:

This citation linking to a reddit post doesn't do much in terms of proper image credit. I did, however, find this image in the New York Times which offers a more complete citation.

Intent: To codify Starlin Rand's collection of known spells.

The usage of the word 'spells' throughout this submission has me wondering if this is meant to be in reference to specifically magic or if these spell names are code for individual force powers. If you could provide links to reflect which case (be it just linking magic or linking the specific force abilities as they're mentioned), it'd do well to prevent any future confusion. I'd also note that if it's the latter, new force powers may not be submitted throw the Codex per Lore Creation Rules. I don't believe that's the case here but I do want to make certain everyone is on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom