Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Spynet] Shapes in the mist

OOC/ Time for some espionage. I'm expecting this world to be a key battleground. No need for any PvP etc, I'm leaving this as pretty much a sandbox introduction to the cold war. It's a big world, the two sides may not even directly interact in this thread.
[member="Sasha Santhe"]
[member="Fixx Kearney"]
[member="Mark Crassis"]
[member="Ali Hadrix"]
[member="Orick T'ane"]
[member="Ahra Martrey"]
[member="Aron Rodrie"]

OSARIAN.
Winter.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, and he slowed his pace as he approached the door. Even without the Force, the spymaster was an observant and astute man. Even if he couldn’t sense the distinct lack of life inside the building, his keen eyes had already seen the locking mechanism slightly ajar, as if it had been removed to patch directly into the wiring behind and replaced hastily.

His fingers brushed against the small hold-out blaster in his jacket pocket, as the other hand reached out to the door. His carefully placed his hand on the cold metal of the door. It slid on its mountings freely. With extreme caution, Raziel eased it to one side, giving him just enough room to enter. He made no sound as he slowly moved into a plain hallway. It was empty of course, better to keep the working rooms of a spynet safehouse out of sight of prying eyes.

He rounded a corner, blaster now out of his pocket. The view was exactly as he expected: carnage. Terminals lay awkwardly on the floor, wires hanging free where the data disks have been yanked out. Two were down to his right, both with single burn marks to the head where precise blaster bolts had found their mark. Another agent had half slid out from his chair, a pair of marks in his chest. Close group from a double tap. Neat work. Raziel could appreciate the professionalism.

He carried on with a cursory check about the premises, looking for anything they’d missed. Even the hidden safe in the back at gone, an agent left sprawled beside it. At least that one had a blaster in hand, perhaps he’d taken one with him. Raziel made his way to a window on the first floor, checking the street and building opposite. There was no sign of an observation post. The holdout went back into his pocket, and he headed out into the street, making his way towards a train for the city centre.

~

It was as he made his way through an outdoor food court, that he noticed he was being followed. There were few people out here at this point in the door. Those braving the cold to get to the food stalls before the lunchtime queues. Raziel took a sharp left at the corner of a street and made his way through an arch and into a shopping centre. Out of the corner of his vision, he noticed his tail as he rounded a corner and entered a wide, open mall. The crowd was thick here.

Stretching out with his senses, Raziel made connections to all those around him. A gentle touch that exerted a subtle influence on the nearest minds. Like a shoal of fish, the crowd parted before him, and he picked up the pace. The gap closed behind him, and his followed was constantly jostled. He kept on moving quickly, until he put enough distance between them. Stepping into a lift at the last moment, the doors closed before his tail could reacquire line of sight.

Raziel found himself in a parking lot, an array of land speeders stretching out before him. Osarian could be described as mid-tech. It was by no means a powerhouse. It was where a quiet conflict between the Spynet and the Republic Intelligence had been brewing for some time. One of their agents had been working to turn a key asset. A republic Colonel in charge of Republic systems that collated data from spy satellites. Instead it seemed that he had been turned himself, either through an offer he couldn’t turn down, or more nefarious means. Certainly the agent had little the Republic could use against him, like dark secrets or vulnerable family. At least, not unless he’d kept something hidden from them.

Raziel walked briskly across the vehicle park floor. Finding a stairwell on the opposite side, he quickly descended to the street below. Eyes always on his surroundings, he hailed a passing taxi, and made for another area of the city.

~

This was a hot mess, Raziel thought, as he ordered another cup of caff. Spynet cells had been hit across the world. They were at least four down. It took time to process these things, given how well they compartmentalised their information. They didn’t even know how many field agents might have been compromised, as well as those houses they used to transfer information back to Spynet central. At least their core networks were not at risk from the breach. Now it was a balancing act. They could recall assets, fearing they had already been given away, but if they did that they would effectively undermine their operations here.

No, they needed to clean up. Start small with a fresh team. Tidy up the mess and excise those portions that needed to be sacrificed. If they could, blindside the Republic intelligence with a new offensive.

Raziel had arranged for a small team to meet him here. New faces to the world, but all efficient operators…if a little unorthodox. The situation was grave, but it also represented a challenge. For too long Raziel had kept the espionage business as arm’s length. It was time to get back to what he knew.

Ahra stepped down the boarding ramp of the Starglow, passive sensors warily scanning the nearby area for possible threats. "Alec, keep the ship secure. We might need to make a quick exit." He didn't wait for a reply, but kept striding forward as the ramp pulled up behind him.

Three cells down at last report, who knows how much information lost, and worst of all, they were ripe for a follow-up attack while they ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. This is nothing short of a disaster.

He stepped up to the caf shop's counter and threw a glance at [member="Raziel"], noting the creases on the Spymaster's face. He took his drink and slid into the seat across from him. "How bad?"

[member="Ahra Martrey"]

“Could be worse, and I mean that,” Raziel replied quietly. He sat casually, but his eyes, ears and other senses constantly alert. He already had a good mental map of the location. There was a back door through the kitchen, the toilets had a window one could squeeze through, and in a pinch the management officers on the first floor had a weak lock and a window over a series of dumpsters. He took another sip from his caff and casually leaned over the table. Raziel smiled as if this was a casual meeting with a friend or colleague.

“We have a known compromise. Even if we don’t know the scale, we know we’ve been hit. That's a lot better than an unknown compromise, trust me. They’ve got a good head start on us, and right now victory looks like damage mitigation. However, this is a big world. Plenty of cells still operating. Lots of the data they took will take months to decrypt, by which time it will be useless. And now the other side has an unknown problem: us.

A smile played across Ahra's face, but there was little mirth behind it. "Yes, they weren't terribly subtle. The problem is, a known compromise of this scale points toward an unknown one in the past. Do we know if that's plugged?" He sipped his drink and stared into the crowds passing on the street, going about their day-to-day lives blissfully unaware of the storm brewing on their planet. He wondered how long they'd be able to keep them unaware. "I hope the encryption holds as long as you think. It would be such a terrible shame for them to reveal themselves like this without getting anything useful from it."

An alarm bell rang in the back of his mind. The same person had passed on the street three times now, and was now beginning to hang around the area. Passive scans show that suspect is carrying a DL-22 blaster and a knife. This is far from uncommon in this sector and city. Possibly nothing, but it was enough to put him on edge. "What's our next move?" He asked, flicking his eyes toward the Gotal. With any luck, [member="Raziel"] would take the hint.

"Are you sure it's him?" Strask asked, the datapad glowing in the blackened room he sat in. "We've messed this up before."

"I'm sure of it. Perfect match to what the client wanted. Appears to have a blaster." Natasha replied, adding a somewhat fuzzy picture. "Trying to get a good tag or shot of him."

"Alright. Any idea of what he's doing?" He asked. "We have orders to tail, not capture, but I'd rather not let him cause any major problems here."

"No, although he's watching a couple friends across the street. Passed three times. May make a move soon." was Nat's only reply. "I'm going to request some help here. If he moves, I don't want to stand here alone."

"Ok. If need be, I still have that Hunter's licence." He sighed. Pushing himself to his feet, he looked over the target's specs again. The Gotal, named Kas'tal'hna, had recently left the Hutt that Strask had spent much time manipulating. Now he needed to tag him for capture. While he was allowed to bring him in, he didn't have to. And the Bothan would rather not become another Bounty hunter.

Sliding the pistol into his holster, and pulling the trench coat over his normal clothes, he stepped out of the dark room. About mid-day. He'd take a few minutes to get to where Nat was staked out.

[member="Ahra Martrey"] [member="Raziel"]

[SIZE=12pt]Leilani walked along slowly reviewing a new contract the scent of garlic, cayenne pepper ,and oregano filled her nose. Her stomach growled reminding her she needed to eat. She was on her way to a meeting, a rather unsual meeting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It was not very often that she met with others of her profession. She needed to complete her business before meeting up with the others.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]She began to dictate a response, “Whatever the client needs surveillance, recovery, intelligence, invasion…take out” She shook her head, “Strike take out” She moved over towards the doorway that wouldlead inside.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]She crossed the threshold there was a silence in the room that made her stop, look around cautiously, dark curious eyes watching for a sign, a telltale that would make her step backwards. She saw a small gathering, moving the datapad to her purse she headed towards them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cautious, this could be a trap.[/SIZE]

[member="Spectre"] [member="Ahra Martrey"] [member="Raziel"]​

[member="Ahra Martrey"]
[member="Spectre"]
[member="Leilani Paaie"]
"An excellent observation," Raziel replied. His eyes narrowed as he reached out with the Force. Just the very most subtle of nudges. "What we're going to do now, is go over the finances," from his brown leather shoulder bag, a type currently in fashion with young businessmen in the region, he pulled out a bound document. The front cover read "FIRST QUARTER FINANCIAL RESULTS" in a particularly large font.

The Gotal outside wavered, his commitment to action wavering. His hand came out from his jacket and he continued on his journey. "You'll find page seven interesting," Raziel said. "We think the breach is from a key member of staff. Was supposedly working on extracting a key figure, and ended up turned. I want to know how.

"Now, our friend out there is telling us a great deal. You see, the different cells were aware of different meeting locations. If they've been watching this place, it tells me a great deal about the nature of the leak. Now of course, I want to know where he's going to report to now. That's for another group to arrange. I'll have them watched, their comms tapped*

"However, I feel it's time we went somewhere a little more quiet before talking in any detail. The next thing I want to discuss is getting eyes on the Osarian's. Find out which way they're going. Which is where our new friend comes in," he said, turning to the Zelton.

"I do apologise, we were about to order, would you mind choosing something quickly?" he passed over another financial report and a bistro menu.

*You're up [member="Spectre"]

"Target's leaving. Nothing shown. Headed your way."

"Did he recognize you?" he asked, starting to worry about loosing cover. This was starting to go downhill.

"No, he payed more attention to a couple of businessmen across the street. Seems content." Nat replied. "Want me to tail him?"

"Negative. I'll take over. I see him." The Bothan continued for a bit, and felt the other man slam into his shoulder. As he did, the Bothan lightly pressed a small amount of tracking powder onto him. "Sorry." he said and walked away.

"Reading the signal loud and clear." Natasha jutted in as he continued walking. "Good one. Anything else?"

"How's the stimcaf? I'll be there shortly."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting down, Strask placed the mug down on the table and leaned forward. "So where's he headed?" Nat slid the datapad over to him. "Oh. Lovely." The dot was holding still. Probably meant he ditched the jacket. "Do I have anything?" he asked. She shook her head. "Alright. Let's hope we get a piece of luck and he's waiting for a pick-up. Until then, not much we can do."

The pair of businessmen across the street were soon joined by a third, a Zeltron woman. Someone in the group looked familiar, but he couldn't quite place it..... Ah, well. He had seen many faces in his time.

The question was if this one was important right now.

[member="Raziel"] [member="Leilani Paaie"] [member="Ahra Martrey"]

Ahra nodded and thumbed through the document as the Zeltron arrived. There was lots of good information there, certainly, but it always seemed to end just short of anything terribly useful. Looks like we've got a bit of legwork ahead of us, he thought grimly.
He looked up at the crowds again, half lost in thought and half looking for other potential eavesdroppers. Someone in the cafe across the street looked a bit familiar. Bothans, Bothans... How many Bothans do I know? He pulled up Markon's records. ...wait, really?

He stood abruptly, tucking the "financial report" under his arm. "You know, I'm not actually that hungry." He glanced at Raz, then back across the street. "Let me know when you find somewhere appropriately quiet." With a nod to the Zeltron, he started across. The Bothan seemed a little spooked, but maintained enough discipline to stay where he was. Ahra slid stiffly into the chair across from him.

"Viceroy."

[member="Spectre"] [member="Raziel"] [member="Leilani Paaie"]

Neither Strask or Natasha were paying [member="Ahra Martrey"] much attention as he crossed the street. The Gotal had moved again. He was headed to the starport. "Tell Namarik he's got his Green Light." Nat nodded and pressed a few buttons on her datapad. Something still bugged the Bothan about it, though. Why here? After leaving a Hutt, surely there were better places for him to hide? Antar 4 would have made him almost impossible to track, but this world had cities, sure, but they were mostly filled with the influx from the Corillian Run up out of Ryloth. He'd have some trouble hiding out here.

Unless he wasn't hiding. But what job would be so important that he chose not to even loose a trail first? Maybe the businessmen across the street he had been watching were more important than he gave them credit for. Taking a sip, he glanced back their way to see one of them walking over to him. "Priority three" he muttered loud enough for Nat to hear. She nodded and walked towards the refreshers. As he studied the approaching man that soon sat across from him, the memory clicked as a familiar voice spoke.

"Viceroy."

"Markon."

@Raziel @Leilani Paaie

[SIZE=12pt]She recognized no one, “I’m starved I’ve been working most of the day, if I can have something to just carry out that’s fine too. I don’t mind crowds or noise, conversations get lost in noise.” She smiled hesitantly, “too quiet and everyone hears”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]She looked from face to face, “I don’t know any of you, and I’m interested in knowing how you have my name” She was always weary of traps by those who would seek revenge on her and her actions.[/SIZE]

[member="Spectre"] [member="Ahra Martrey"] [member="Raziel"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom