Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Specter Camouflage System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create a stealth field overlay on Betna's armor to enable him to better complete stealth op/sniping missions in the field.
Development Thread: Hiding in Plain Sight
Manufacturer: Arrbi Betna
Affiliation: Personal equipment.
Modularity: None
Production: Unique (1)
Material: Photoreactive fibers, Power pack, Camouflage processor.
Description:

Designed originally by Arrbi Betna and later improved upon by Mandal Hypernautic's engineers, the Specter Camouflage System saw its final tweaks in Betna's off time after more "professional" work was completed. This stealth system is a custom made system for use with Betna only as part of his payment for selling the original system to Mandal Hypernautics.

The Specter is designed to act as a type of Active Camouflage for the user. While activated, the user appears to vanish from sight using photoreactive fibers to mimic the landscape around itself. This allows the user to blend in with their surroundings and avoid visual detection while in the field. The system can adjust to any landscape or lack thereof, even working effectively in open space, while using the integral processor.

The photoreactive fibers are worked into the armorweave underneath the armor plates to allow the user to remain stealthed. However, instead of taking the hard route and using expensive coatings or overlays on the armor plates, a more 'low-tech' application was taken. Thin overlays of armor weave were placed over the armor plates and adhered to the beskar before being wired into the system. This was to allow the Specter to cloak the entire body of the user, not just the cloth alone. Repairs are moderately simple to make with a repair/patch kit as a quick fix, though proper repairs require more extensive work.

The camouflage system also blocks thermal signatures from view using the thermal regulator found on the Mandal Hypernautics models, though this is not integrated into the unit and runs off of its own power supply, requiring a change out every 18-20 hours.

Specter is powered by the wearer's standard suit power source, but can also be powered separately by an attached power pack. The power source, whether suit or external, powers the processor which monitors the surroundings to activate the rest of the system to activate and adjust the stealth system to the landscape directly nearby.

The system has its faults, however. Specter is unable to be used at high speeds or on large objects. A user wearing Specter and running or even jogging quickly upright will find the system will overload and automatically shut down to prevent processor damage. Large users, usually anything larger than human sized, will find that even a fast walk or rapid gestures will cause the system to fail. This is because the processor simply cannot keep up with the movement to maintain the stealth field. Larger users find this to occur because more surface area is required to hide from sight, thereby increasing the standard processor usage without movement. Moving rapidly or quasi rapidly with a large user will exacerbate this issue, causing shut down sooner. Also, the closer the viewer is to Specter, the more easily seen they become.

Specter is also vulnerable to magnetic scopes and vision. While thermal imaging is effectively blocked, magnetic vision will easily pick up the weapons and armor the user is wearing with ease, forcing the user to be constantly aware of the enemy and himself.

The Specter is not a full stealth system and enemies at close range or watching the user as they move will spot the tell-tale ripple as the cloaking system actively adapts on the go to the surrounding area. Rain and precipitation has a negligible effect on the system at long to medium ranges while stationary, though at close ranges or while moving it is slightly easier to spot.

Also, the system has a duration ability of 24 hours of active camouflage, though this can easily be extended by shutting off the system when not in use or even just carrying multiple power packs.

Lastly, EMPs or ion damage will shut down Specter as if the user moved too rapidly or quickly. This shutdown will last until Specter can restart itself safely, something it automatically does after four to five minutes.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a true cloaking device. This is a chameleon effect, not invisibility.

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]
OOC'ly, the active camo was my idea originally and IC'ly sold the idea to Larraq in exchange for my own, personal version.

I haven't looked at his submission so I have no idea if anything is exactly the same. Arguably, the Hyperion model is an adaptation of Betna's original design which was improved on. Betna then took the design that Hyperion improved on and tweaked it accordingly to customize it for his own use.

Thanks for the clarification.

The primary issue I have with this is that it is Unique production, and yet it's described as so easy to apply to other armors, repair, etc. Typically, unique items, such as items created by the user for the user, are not easily mass produced because they were never designed for mass production. They are thus not easy to recreate.

That said, the technology just doesn't seem to lend itself to easy application. Photoreactive fibers do not sound as if they can be just "painted" onto armor and other items. It would seem that the system would have to be custom tailored to the mounting item because the computer processors would need to intimately know every square millimeter in order to properly calculate the image to project.

Similarly, durability would be an issue because any scratch or damage to the coating would compromise the mimetic effects. It would thus seem at odds with the claim that it is highly resistant to field conditions.

Can you adjust the description so that the system reads more like a one-off and unique creation?

Secondly, how long can the user keep the active camouflage system running before it drains the power pack?

Finally, can you explain how the mimetic effect affects thermal imaging? The system would have to actively mask heat generated by the wearer, which is a completely different system than visual camouflage. This would also have significant negative effects without additional systems to counteract these effects, such as severe overheating of the wearer.

Please tag me in your reply. Thanks!

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Looks good. Just two more things come to mind.

1. Can you add something that states that this doesn't create a true cloaking effect, in the sense that the camouflage is imperfect even when the user is not moving? I just want it to be clear to the reader that you're not wearing a portable cloaking generator.

2. Does water/rain negatively affect the effect? If so, please add just a line in.

Otherwise I like it. Reminds me of a certain armor I made. Sorta. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom