Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldier of Fortune (Rekali the Hutt)

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
Trevel'ka. A slum world likened to a pox or plague on civilization, a world tainted by the criminals, gangsters, and pirates that called it home. For most, it was simply an accomplishment to survive the day and, perhaps, earn a small amount of money. For far too many it was a pit of despair where the only alternatives to begging was to steal, kill, and cheat for whatever scraps that could be gathered.

Perhaps the only saving grace that the world had was the ability for the right person with the right skills and the right tools to make a substantial amount of money, depending on their preferences. For Zofia Marek, the captain of the independent ship Hellion, Trevel'ka was a festering sore on the galaxy, but it was also a festering sore that could potentially earn her revenue. She was no gang boss, no aspiring pirate lord, but rather operated far more... legitimately in general. Some called those in her line of employment Soldiers of Fortune, mercenaries, sometimes even referring to them as Sellswords. For Zofia, she preferred a more... proper term for her line of work.

Privateer.

The tapcaf she sat in was the less seedier in the area, though a far cry from more respectable establishments across the galaxy. She had acquired a seat away from the bar where some modicum of privacy could be established between the thin, flimsy dividers separating her from the rest of the bar. The two or three armed men she had brought with helped in that regard as well, allowing only the server into the room on occasion to refill Zofia's wineglass. Marines from her ship, they were armed with vibroblades and sidearms, their uniforms crisp and clean. Operating on either side of the law depending on the perspective of whoever she worked for or against, she disliked being compared to pirates and, as such, ensured her crew looked nothing like them by outfitting them herself.

The Cathar sipped at the wine in her glass as she waited, her distaste at the poor quality easily hidden away. She'd grown accustomed to fine wine and food with her rank, but she was no high born noble. She'd worked her way to her position and, while she might prefer an expensive brand sporting an excellent year, Zofia remembered the days she sat at trestle tables and drank liquor and grog with her crewmates. But today was not a day of reminiscing. Today was a day for work and setting contracts. Today was a day of wondering where in the hell her potential employer was.

She checked her chronometer and frowned slightly before sipping at her wine. After a moment, she realized what was wrong; they hadn't had anyone buy the top shelf beverages in so long, this one had started to take on a vinegar taste. She hoped this wouldn't take too long. The only thing she liked vinegar on was fish.

[member="Rekali the Hutt"]

Rekali the Hutt

R
Rekali the Hutt slithered into the Aroma Mocha, a tapcaf where most had the pleasure of ordering up a simple caf. It wasn't quite as backdoor as most establishments around town, which would hopefully help the negotiation a bit. While [member="Zofia Marek"] likely knew what sort of business she was getting in to initial scouting had shown she carried herself with a legitimate air. Which was something to be desired. Cutthroats and brigands were effective at times, but they didn't garnish respect from others, only fear. Proper organization could achieve both. And if Rekali the Hutt wanted to control Trevel'ka on the ground he'd need to control Trevel'ka in the stars.

As he slithered in he made note of the Cathar's crew. Well dressed and put together with vibroblade and some blasters. They stood at attention, not bothering to order their own drinks or otherwise goof off. It seemed Marek kept her crew well disciplined. A quality a good to see as any resume. As Rekali continued to slither forward as a couple of his men went opposite her own. Show mostly, he owned these streets, but one always had to leave their impressions.

<Welcome Captain Marek. I hope the Aroma Mocha has been suitably accommodating.> One of the servers might be seen hanging on those words. Displeasing the Hutt and his guests on his world often had consequences.

[member="Zofia Marek"]

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
"As accommodating as one might expect," came the Cathar's reply, the accent of her homeworld softened by her time among the stars, but noticeable nonetheless. She sipped at the wine in her glass a moment while one of her men slipped inside the small enclosure and set a small device on the table. He hit a few keys on the contraption and stepped outside, returning to his post. After a moment, the device let out a steady hiss that increased in volume for a few seconds before dropping down to a barely audible hum. At least, barely audible for most beings. Those with keen hearing like Zofia's would be able to hear the mix of ultra and subsonic sound. It was loud enough to prevent eavesdropping, but quiet enough not to disturb the usual conversation of those using the machine.

"Now we can speak a bit more... plainly," she stated, setting the glass on the lacquered and scuffed tabletop. She gestured at the doorway and one of her men admitted the server who placed a tray of drinks on the table and a set of glasses, both normal in size and a set of larger, Hutt-sized glasses, before leaving.

"Your contact who passed along your request was hardly forthcoming in what kind of work you were offering," the Cathar leaned back in her seat, crossing one leg over the other as she made herself a bit more comfortable. "The current rumor is that you're having trouble keeping your... Men? Under control. With the way things are down here on this... lovely place, one could assume that, but such is often quite the opposite. Unseen organization thrives well when seen as unorganized chaos."

A gloved hand reached out and picked up the wineglass on the table before she continued, pausing only long enough to sip at the contents within.

"Might I hazard a guess as to why you need me?" she asked, her tone polite and civil.

Rekali the Hutt

R
Jamming technology. Thorough. As she spoke the Hutt paid attention to more to her tone and her body language than her actual words. He'd been through negotiations like this before, he knew the text, but the subtext was ever changing. This Cathar commanded her crew with gestures, to which they replied crisply and silently. Non-verbal commands were not uncommon aboard a troupe a close together as a ship's crew, but the discipline was again impressive. Continuing to let her lead the conversation he kept silent as she pressed, making less of assumptions and more of deductions on how his business operated.

She had a taste for wine. A high class privateer, quite unlike most the wretches he had to cobble into a workforce.

<You are free to guess, but I'll remind I don't need you. I just think you're a good way to expand my business.> The Hutt replied. Really he'd planned on this sort of extension for a while and vetted a few candidates, Marek being the mot promising, but it never paid to overplay how much you wanted an employee before hiring.

[member="Zofia Marek"]

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
"Oh, you misunderstand," Zofia's remark came with an easy smile. "I don't doubt for a second you need me for anything, just as I don't need you for anything, neither of us have any real need for each other and we both understand that, at least, about each other."

She uncrossed and crossed her legs before sipping from the wine glass again. Noting it was half empty, she reached over and retrieved the bottle before refreshing the glass. The Cathar replaced the bottle on the tray and set the refilled glass on the table once more as she made herself comfortable again.

"If we needed certain individuals or groups to fulfill our tasks or desires, why, you probably wouldn't be in the position you are and I'd have probably wound up married to some up and coming engineer or politician back on Cathar," Zofia smiled easily at the Hutt, her lips closed. Most humans were so free to show teeth, but for a predatory species the display of teeth was a hostile gesture, not a friendly one, something many often forgot and most predatory non-humans made a point to adjust to the tendency. "What you need is a certain task or series of tasks completed. Why you need them completed is quite simple to deduce, what with the typical power plays common among those in certain professions, but the question remains as to why those particular tasks can't be done by you and your people is the primary question here. I'd easily wager that you need someone that can do what you can't, either because you lack the manpower..."

The Cathar picked up and sipped at the wineglass a moment, pausing less for effect and more because while she was fluent in Basic, it was a bit... harsher on her voice than her own native language. The wine helped keep the itch out of her throat as she spoke at length.

"... Or because you lack the resources. Considering the events leading to this meeting and your... presence," a gloved hand waved vaguely in the direction of the Hutt's men and, by extension, the planet. "I doubt you lack in manpower. That leaves resources, for the most part, which considering what I am and what I bring to the table, you need someone with a more... nautical background."

"So while you might not need me, per se, you need someone like me and I happen to fit the bill," the smile turned into a grin and the Cathar captain leaned forward, placing her elbows on the table. "Which means you either have a 'pirate' problem or you have a 'smuggler' problem."

Rekali the Hutt

R
The Hutt smiled. Her crew was disciplined to the point of being called para-military, and though she had an unmistakable confidence she had the business sense to know her, and his position. Furthermore her language and manners were delicate. He was a Hutt on a slum world, the nature of his business was fairly easy to deduce, yet even if she hadn't brought her white noise-esque machine the conversation could be seen as legitimate. An art Rekali himself was proficient in, as much of the renovations he needed to do on this world required dealing with legitimate buinesses, but uncommon throughout his workforce 'peers'. Finally she leaned planting her elbow unto the table, finishing her analysis and going to business. What he needed, and what she could provide.

<Mostly the latter.> He spoke plainly. <This world is a slum. The tech here is old, the businesses local for the most part. I'm gathering the strength to govern this rock rather than this district. A number of differing plans are in the works, and each of them are going well, but a few of the locals are catching on that the quickest way to the top is to make some deals for some imported tech and labor. Tech and labor I prefer running through my own spaceports.> Truth be told none of the local gangs he was competing with had the bigger picture thinking to really become a threat on their own, but as Rekali the Hutt gained strength on the world people noticed, and it was only a matter of time before long-hating groups like the Nakura Nest and the Cordavo family set aside their differences and united to try and take him down. Rekali preferred to give them as little edge as possible for when that time came, when the planet realized it was them against him.

<Additionally I'm going to be doing some renovating around the district soon. Deals are in the works for city-wide air scrubbers, planetary ion cannons, planetary grade shielding, general street and building renovation and so forth. I don't anticipate anyone interfering with those shipments, but it pays to be thorough. As you say my manpower doesn't have your nautical background. I have a few that are learning, but none with your experience or efficiency.>

[member="Zofia Marek"]

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
Zofia's only response was to nod once and sip at the wine in her glass. Still tasting of slight vinegar, it wasn't the most pleasant drink to have, but she figured it would go better than half of the other beverages they offered here. It also wouldn't get her sick. Probably.

"So you need someone to... disrupt things just enough that you can start muscling in and controlling imports to your liking," she stated plainly, placing the glass back on the table. "Doable. Very doable."

The Hutt had outright stated he was making a move to govern the planet, a move that was understandable. She doubted that the place would be much improved, despite the 'renovations' that were planned, but that wasn't her place to get involved, even if it mattered to her at all. For her, the questions that mattered were simple and directly relevant to her job. All else was either small talk and feigned interest or fishing for information.

"I'm assuming these disruptions are going to involve the, shall we say, loss of shipments and vessels," she said, more a statement of fact than a question. "If that's the case, I'll need information. Routes, times, names, locations, and the like all in addition to any preference of order or disorder you'd like them... disrupted. I'll also need to know how much of this disruption you want done and to what level."

It was a simple request and one that was fairly important. Without information, she was striking blindly and inefficiently. An idea of how to operate was key as well. Should she appear as a random pirate group or was this a message to others that one person called the shots? Were ships and cargo to be taken or were they to be destroyed outright?

"We'll also need to discuss how you intend to pay for our services," she finished, sipping at the wine once more. "My ship, my men, and myself may not expect a prince's ransom for our work, but we do expect to be paid fairly and in full..."

Rekali the Hutt

R
The Hutt waved over a Gran, who proceeded to come over to the table and lay down a datapad, before leaving and returning to his post.

<It contains lists of transponder codes commonly used by myself and other businesses, as well as what we've ascertained of their routes and shipping schedules. Priorities are assigned to differing competitors and ships, with the general rule to prioritize bigger shipments and bigger companies. I'll notify you if I'm expecting any uncommon company, but otherwise if you find something that doesn't match up with my manifest or my competitors manifest make whatever call you wish to make.> The Hutt wasn't interested in making judgment calls for the Captain. He was a macro-manager in general, preferring to train hi men to make decisions and his contracting methods were much the same. He wouldn't hire someone he thought would have to call him to make a decision for every ship that came by.

<Cargo is my main concern. In my experience too many destroyed ships and lost crew often provokes an armed response, but lost cargo is seen more of as a loss rather than an attack, drying up business overtime. Payment will take the form of a monthly stipend, the numbers of which are in that datapad, and fifty percent of cargo seized. If you ever find yourself with cargo you don't wish to keep on board I'll compensate you for the remainder at 75% of market price.> Many of the shipments would be arms, but more still would likely be spice. If she had a problem with keeping or selling it than she'd have other options.

<Is this suitable?>

[member="Zofia Marek"]

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
She browsed through the datapad, skimming over the contents as she sipped from the glass again. It was a fairly straightforward and simple affair. Don't hit certain ships and businesses, hit the other ones, anything not on the list was up to her. A rigid organization, yet flexible enough to adjust when and where needed. That said, there were only a few things to sort out.

"This seems fairly cut and dry, but some questions remain," the Cathar shut off the datapad and held it up. A moment later, one of the men by the door stepped in and took the device before tucking it away and returning to his post. "Do you want this to be a quiet, untraceable affair or an outright blatant series of strikes? Also, you placed an emphasis on the cargo. Am I to take the ships a prize as well and deal with the crew accordingly or am I to only take the cargo itself?"

Those were the two main questions, but another was always at the forefront of her mind. You didn't operate a ship and crew without considering logistics and supply. Where you could pick up parts, water, oxygen, and other essentials was key to any ship's captain and if she moved into a job without keeping her quartermaster and supply officers in mind, she'd never hear the end of it.

"In addition, I'll need somewhere to berth," she stated, her tone neutral, but firm. "A place to dock, repair, and refit is invaluable to a ship. I'll also need a secure and steady source of supplies; water, air, food, spare parts, the usual items anyone needs. If you can provide that, I can get straight to work instead of spending a week finding a quiet place to park where prying eyes aren't an... issue."

Rekali the Hutt

R
<Gavaroth Spaceport is under my control, and I'll reserve one of the nicer docks for your private use. They're not Alliance Class by any means, but they're suitable for refuels, repairs, and general restocking needs. As for the ships and their crews, you will be compensated for any ships, parts, or crew members that may have uncommon value, but I don't have need of every tramp freighter that passes by.> His response was quick, as he'd anticipated more than the financial needs of supporting a privateer crew. Having a private port for them also meant a dedicated point to offload and trade for seized wares, as well as a way to log her comings and goings. Hidden asteroid bases were nice for an ambush, but terrible for keeping up with your workforce.

<As for the volume of the attacks? I intend to send the message to all those who come to trade that all offworld business goes through me. I'd prefer something that isn't say, Black Tie Syndicate brutal, but enough to where they're convinced to come to me or go elsewhere.> It would be a gradual process of course, perhaps never fully complete-able as the locals would try to make new connections as they lost contact, but word would get around and the major players of the spice and arms trade would learn they weren't profitable enough to warrant dedication to. Not to mention every shipment of seized cargo would bolster the Therax Cartel and starve out the competition.

[member="Zofia Marek"]

Zofia Marek

Master and Commander
That was more or less what she had expected as an answer. Valuable ships and crew would be compensated for, but otherwise it was only the cargo the Hutt was interested in. She made a mental note to keep an eye out for anything that caught her attention in such a regard, but figured such instances were rare at best.

"With that I have no other questions for the moment," she placed the wineglass back on the table and stood up, realizing she was more or less able to look the Hutt almost in the eye as he sat, or whatever the Hutt equivalent was. "I'll have my men move the ship to the Gavaroth spaceport within the hour. We'll depart tomorrow morning, Standard time, to start patrolling the area and get a feel for the region. From the data you gave me, there looks to be a shipment coming through in a few days' time. We'll start with that one."

She moved to the door, her men already moving. One reached the door and slipped outside after checking for any threats waiting on the road. The other two waited for their Captain just beyond the door, watching the clientele as they went about their business. The Cathar paused a moment and turned to look once more at the Hutt.

"Ra ay srd spontari."

And with that, she and her men made for the door, the tapcaf patrons knowing already to clear a path.

"Ra ay srd spontari."
"I'll be in touch."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom