Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writer So what's your best writing advice?

A lot of really good things have been said already, so I'll only add one thing. It's to really treat dialogue properly. Something I struggled with when I started writing was making all of my character dialogue sound super formal and professional as if I was writing a paper for school again. It sounded unnatural to me. But asking myself the question "Would someone actually talk like this?" helped me fix that.

There are exceptions, of course. Writing droids or if it's an intended character trait, but the language used in dialogue is generally different from the rest of the text.

Fiiiiine, guess I'll be helpful:

When it comes to character dialogue, and you're not sure if it sounds natural or how someone would speak, read it aloud.

That should give a good indicator of whether it should be adjusted or not.
actual legit advice

sometimes the imagination ain't as fluid as folks would like to imagine, same goes for all dialogue that "flows" in the scenarios we envision putting into text format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom