Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Silicar

Status
Not open for further replies.
1387336058006.jpg
Image Source: Google search of polymer

Intent: Highly resilient, light weight material for the use in products and selling

Development Thread: N/A unless required

Manufacturer: Raxis Independent Designs

Model: N/A

Affiliation: RID

Modularity: Limited- color

Production: Major production

Material: Synthetic material created by using carbon and silicon as a base

Strengths:
Resistant- Silicar is highly resistant. It is able to resist high levels of both heat and cold before becoming brittle. It is able to resist high levels of electricity. It is highly resistant to both acids and bases, so only the most corrosive of either is able to effect the polymer. This resistance means it is able to handle environmental events such as acid rain or electrical storms that may arise suddenly. The material can withstand 6-8 hours of such events before it begins to suffer negative effects depending on the intensity of the event.

Strong Bonds- Silicar is a material that has strong molecular bonds. This means that it is able to withstand high levels of continuous strain and sudden impact. The material is able to do this due to the bonds giving it the ability to spread the shock of impact or strain across the material evenly. This means that the more surface area being exposed to impact at once, the more it is able to spread out and withstand.

Weaknesses:
Focused Impact- Silicar has difficulty being able to withstand impact that is focused on small areas. Because it spreads the shock of impact evenly across the material, the less surface area that is directly being exposed to the shock of impact the harder it is for the material to spread it out. This means that weapons designed to pierce defenses by minimizing the area of impact, such as most slug throwers and blasters, can easily break through the material.

Repairs- Silicar is difficult to repair. This is due to the fact that the material spread out as much stress across the material as it can. Because it spread out stress, when part of the material breaks it also means that a larger area than the area of impact/strain becomes broken or severely weakened as well. This fact makes it so that it is far easier to just replace any damaged silicar than to try to repair it, because it becomes nearly worthless after.

Description: Raxis Independent Technology has a little different philosophy from most other companies when it comes to personal protection equipment, and so they knew they would need a new material that was just as different. The task of creating this new material was left up to a group of scientists and they soon began to look into materials, both natural and synthetic, that already existed. They looked into everything from polymers to ceramics to carbon fiber to even different types of quartz. The research proved to be both fruitful and unproductive at the same time. They found many materials that met some of the properties they wanted and even a few that met many of them, but they could not find one that met all of them.

After some time an idea eventually was formed for a new material. This idea was inspired in part to silcon carbide. The naturally occurring mineral possessed great potential, so what if they combined it with processes involved in creating polymers? They used this concept and began to experiment with combining silicon and carbon together in the lab while slowly adding different and varying amounts of other elements to the mixture. The trial and error continued for some time until the prototype for silicar eventually was developed. This prototype was nearly a perfect fit for the qualities they wished from the material they were needing to create.

The scientists had one issue they needed to fix with the prototype to get it exactly how they wanted it. The prototype was conductive to electricity which meant any equipment made out of it would not protect from electricity. They began to make several adjustments to it until the final incarnation of silicar was created. They were able to switch the semi-conductive nature of the material thanks to the silicon half of its base to that of being an insulator. With this silicar as finally finished being developed and as a bonus to they also learned how to adjust the color without effecting the effectiveness of the material.

Extensive testing of the newly developed material, as per RID policy, was undertaken to get accurate readings on the properties. It was quickly discovered that the material could handle high levels of most forms of environmental effects as well as high levels of stress and impact the more surface area that was effected. This proved to be very promising for industrial needs as well as for exploration. Testing was soon done to see the material's potential for weaponization. It quickly became clear that the properties that made the material work so well for non-combat purposes were detrimental to its use for combat purposes. It was not able to withstand shots from many different types of guns, and as an added problem it proved to be very difficult to repair. With testing finished, the product was presented to Gray for finally approval.

Silicar ended up being a unique material that sits between being a crystal such as quartz and a polymer such as plastic. Because of this, it looks a plastic at first glance but upon close inspection begins to look more like a crystal. This also means that the material can be very bright and reflect light if colored a more light color. While this can be annoying to some it can also appeal to others. This odd property however does not add any practical use. The material can not be used for the same kind of uses for light as quartz or other crystals might.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

For efficiency of time, since it's nearing time for me to go to bed, I'm going to simplify some of the science behind this here. What's most important is what you want to get out of this. The science is a means to that end.

Gray Raxis said:
Silicar is highly resistant. It is able to resist high levels of both heat and cold before becoming brittle.

Gray Raxis said:
Energy Vulnerable- Silicar is resistant to electricity and fire, but vulnerable to other forms of energy. The kind of energy used in blaster fire and other blaster-like weapons is able to cut through the material like a hot knife through butter.
This seems to contradict itself to me. I think it's arguable that most damage produced by blasters could be classified as "thermal", much like fire. If Silicon is something to go by, this would be good at conducting heat, making it a reasonable choice for protection against thermal attacks.

Gray Raxis said:
It is able to resist high levels of electricity, and also able to block EMP.

These likely would be at odds with each other. If it's capable of resisting high amounts of electricity, it's probably an insulator. In order to resist EMPs, this material would probably be made into a Faraday cage, which are made out of conductors. Insulators and conductors are mutually exclusive categories by definition. Silicon is a semiconductor, which is something sort of in between the two for our purposes.

Gray Raxis said:
Resilient- Silicar is able to withstand high levels of impact for its weight. Due to the carbon part of it's structure it is able to offer armors made from it a class 8 level of resistance.

Submissions are all judged separately now. So while it may be true that this could be used to give a Class 8 resistance in future submissions, it's not a guarantee.

As a general thought, I think the number of strengths to this material currently outweigh the disadvantages. The number of practical strengths to this submission should be equivalent to the number of weaknesses in this material, since it's mass produced and doesn't have any dev currently. I would suggest that for each resistance it receives, it should be weak to another type of damage or energy. I think that if it's going to be exceptionally lightweight, it will also need another weakness to offset that as well.

I don't really see "Industrial" as being a weakness for this. Most materials, even basic iron, need to have a sophisticated industrial base to bring it out to its full potential. I think that "Industrial" would work for a weakness if it was low production for some reason. As it currently is, I think it's something that I'd add to the description of the material to flesh it out. And technology interacts with culture is something that I'm a huge fan of seeing in submission.

[member="Gir Quee"] I look forward to working with you on this.

Alright so I hope you don't mind if I start off with a few questions before I make any changes to the submission. I just want to try to get a clear idea of what I can/need to do exactly.

What I am wanting out of this is a material that can be used in equipment designed for use in labor and exploration. Something that can handle extreme conditions such as acid rain, solar radiation, etc that you would encounter is multiple types of environments as well as in space. It would also need to be able to absorb a large amount of impact and electricity because I plan to make suits out of it that workers would wear while doing repairs to things such as speeders, ships, and facilities. I also wanted its combat effectiveness to be virtually zero to help off set this and to focus its purpose, but I do realize that many things that work for labor/industry can also be used or altered for combat.

On the EMP and electricity resistance part, I did not realize they were so mutually exclusive about what blocks them so I am fine dropping the EMP resistance.

I did some research into polymers and carbon fibers, which from what I saw were almost just another type of polymer, did leave me with few options on realistic weaknesses. They could pretty much do whatever you wanted so long as you got the structure of the molecules right. (I know I am not using correct terms here, but I am an English major trying to remember Science stuff so please bare with me)

I am fine doing a dev thread for this if you give me a count, as well as offer a good solution for a weakness. I'd like this to be major, but I am also fine with dropping down to minor production.

Thank you for any help you can give me, and I will do my best to work with your suggestions.

[member="Gray Raxis"], I have some ideas on how to make something like this work, but I need a bit more information. Could you provide me with a prioritized list of properties that you're looking to get out of this material?

[member="Gir Quee"]

1) Environmental Resistances- acid rain, electrical storms, etc etc
2) Light weight- to reduce the effect of fatigue on people who use items made out of it
3) Strong enough to withstand enough impact to provide some protection to people wearing items made out of the material
4) Reduced combat effectiveness so it remains in its niche of being for exploration/labor

[member="Gray Raxis"], you can probably get two of the first three that you've listed, depending on how you engineer it. That being said, it's unlikely that we'll be able to make this product resistant to everything.

For your overall project, you may want to consider making several different materials, and using those materials in a combination for your projects (like the space suit).

But for now, let's focus on getting the first two properties down.

Polymers encompass a huge variety of materials, and many are widely varying in their properties. i wouldn't be surprised if you could find individual polymers that have each of these properties. I'd recommend two options for conceptually forming your base material.

1) Model it conceptually after an existing polymer or Star Wars material: This doesn't mean make an exact copy of it, but rather use it to find a rough balance that's scientifically makes sense, and then add something materially or in its processing to that to optimize it's function for what you're trying to do.

2) Focus on one property that you feel this is a must have for your material: Once you have that property figured out, look at other materials that have that property. You can then alter a material like that to get different types of additional resistances, though these will likely be more minor compared to its main resistance property.

Given its constituent components, you may want to consider looking at Silicon Carbide, which I'm guessing may have been your initial inspiration for this material. A form of this would get you a material that is chemically very close to being inert (for environmental resistance). You could find a way to alter this material to change it from a semi-conductor into being more of an insulator to make it more chemically resistant. Silicon carbide isn't known for being physically resistant to anything, however. It's instead known for being easily fractured and having little impact resistance.

I wouldn't only consider just using polymers.

Common quartz is an another example of a silicon compound that's fairly inert. One variety of quartz, known as fused quartz, is noted for being highly resistant to heat as well. There are probably other kinds of quartz that might have different properties that might be worth exploring as well, but I'm not knowledgeable about them off of the top of my head.

From a Star Wars lore perspective, Duraplast[/url and [url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carbo-plas]Carbo-plas also have some of the properties that you're looking for. A good number of these properties also make it attractive for armor use, which is something to consider when you're making this submission.

However, from an in-universe perspective, perhaps some experimenting with these materials got you a new material that has some of the same properties as the original, but exchanged some other properties for other ones.

Let me know which avenue you're interested in pursuing, and we'll go from there.

[member="Gir Quee"] Okay I made edits to my strengths and weaknesses. I also updated the description. I am switching it from a polymer to an odd hybrid between a crystal like a quartz and a polymer.

I actually based much of the original idea for this sub off of a mixture of polymer and carbon fiber. The two materials are very similar in how they are made and offered a wide range of uses, so that is what I was going off of. After reading your feedback and looking into your links though I did have some ideas that I hope fixed some of the issues. If it can work as it is now without a dev thread please let me know and how many posts I will need out of it. This is of course assuming everything makes sense how it is after this edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom