Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Showin' How Funky and Strong is Your Fight

Holly couldn't believe her eyes. On the viewing screen was a clear video of herself, dressed in a duster and stealing from a Hutt owned bank in the banking district. There was a clear image of her face, and worse the news organizations were already running with the story.

"Chief it can't be me. I haven't ever been to that bank. Are the authorities coming?"

"No. The Hutts won't want you arrested. They will want you dead."

"But it's a mistake! I'm being set up! We have to get to the bottom of this."

"No we don't! YOU have to stay safe. I've hired a Mando to protect you. HNN will investigate this but you aren't on this story."

"That's not fair! Its MY STORY."

"Damn it Holly just do what I ask for ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!"

Holly left her bosses office in a huff and sat at her desk. There was no way in the galaxy she wasn't going to figure out who was framing her.

"Artemis" SBD-571 "Artemis" SBD-571 Minerva Fhirdiad Minerva Fhirdiad

"Ya look ready to bite someone's head." A voice remarked meters away with a chuckle.

Should Holly turn, the reporter would immediately note a fierce looking human female. The latter wore an emerald cloak all the way to the waist with evident brownish green pants and combat boots. The stranger subsequently crossed her arms over the chest. Holly would be able to note the green Mandalorian vambraces attached to the wrists. The other woman tilted her head in quick examination at the reporter.

"So you're the famous Starstorm that has been pissing off overgrown worms."

Shrugging her shoulders at the statement she then introduced herself.

"Minerva Fhirdiad. Your boss is paying me good creds to keep an eye on ya little miss crusader."

@“Artemis” SBD-571 Holly Starstorm Holly Starstorm

[ . . . INCOMING CALL . . . INCOMING CALL . . . REACTIVATING PRIMARY SYSTEMS . . . ]

Dim photoreceptors sparked to life, casting an eerie light into the dark room. However, it took several more minutes for the "consciousness" of Artemis to return from its powered down slumber. At last, the droid moved. Gears whirred, joints clicked from their locked position, and the audio receptors of the droid reactivated to a cacophony of noise. Identifying the holocommunicator as the source, Artemis lumbered towards its work desk, running through its post-activation checklist under one of tis subroutines.

From beneath the table, another figure stirred with its own activation, whistling agitatedly at the disturbance. Artemis ignored the smaller droid, having reached the table and activating its communicator.

A small hologram flickered to life on the palm sized, being no larger than a few dozen centimeters. The light created by this projection cast the room in a bright blue hue that Artemis's receptors could never hope to manage. This new source revealed the room to be some sort of repair shop, with work tables neatly arranged along the walls, great storage crates aligned up to the ceiling, and a squat, ugly speeder not too dissimilar in its function-over-form as its owner.

Before the droid stood a togrutan, one immediately recognized as a well-known middle man for the Bounty Hunters Guild. Namely, he acted on the behalf of the Hutt Cartels - though which family was a mystery few were brave or foolish enough to find out. Artemis preferred to keep it that way, better the cartels keep their secrecy then risk losing such bountiful paydays. Still, Artemis rarely received calls directly from contractors, especially this organic of them all. The Guild liked to keep contracts between them and the contractors - kept the power and control in their hands. To contact Artemis directly was a sure sign this was not approved by the Guild.

"Bounty Hunter Artemis," The togrutan spoke with a slow and cultured intonation, the sort of confidence once used when they were certain in the protection offer to them. While not a major-domo for one of the families, the middle man clearly held some of their confidence - enough to contact Hunters on their behalf, "I come from the honorable Hutt families with a contract for you, if you are willing to accept."

"This is not standard operating procedure," Artemis all but growled at the organic, grasping and loosening its hands, "Why was this not offered to the Guild?"

If the organic was upset by the lack of immediate acceptance from Artemis, he his it well. The confident smirk on his face remained as he stared into Artemis's faceplate.

"The families do not wish to hire a mere Bounty Hunter. They want a professional, and someone to make an example to those who seek to steal from them. Your reputation for brutality certain fits the latter criteria, and your loyalty to the Guild fits the former," The togrutan explained, "Of course, if the issue is one of credits, the family is more than willing to make it worth your while. Triple your usual rate, with half paid in advance and half paid after the job is done."

A lie, of course, or so Artemis's voice pattern detection software told it. They were many far more high profile Bounty Hunters with countless more kills and more subtle executions to their names than it. No, what they likely wanted was loud and violent retribution against whomever had wronged them, and a show for any would-be thieves or dissidents that might try their luck. They wanted a thug that wasn't one of theirs, just in case whatever or whoever had attacked them had stronger backers, and who better than a Bounty Hunter they hired outside the Guild?

Still, Artemis was not one to back down from a job, no matter how difficult.

"What is the contract?" The droid demanded, sending a silent command to its astromech servant to warm up the engines of the Hypnos. The diminutive droid whistled its response and rolled out from under the table, headed towards one of the consoles within the repair room.

"A reporter with the "Holo News Network" by the name of Holly Starstorm. A nobody, or so our intel indicates, but one foolish enough to attack the families. My masters do not care how you do it, just ensure she can still be identified after the case. We want an example, not a missing person's case. More information has been sent to you personal account, as well as the location of the first half of your payment. The Family thanks you for your service, Bounty Hunter Artemis." With that, the togrutan bowed and ended the call. The room was cast back into darkness, but Artemis's sytems were already hard at work. It soon had access to all publicly available, and some private, information on "Holly Starstorm". As the Cartel member had claimed, she was an up-and-coming reporter for the "HNN", but hardly fit the bill of someone that would steal from the Hutts.

With the information came the knowledge that local security forces involved with the case were encouraged to ignore Bounty Hunter involvement, specifically in the form of Artemis. Unfortunately, the lack of an official Holopuck would make hunting the woman down more difficult, but Artemis had done more with less.

[ . . . INCOMING MESSAGE . . . SHIP READY FOR DEPARTURE, MASTER . . . ]

"Good," Artemis responded, both verbally and over its connection to the Astromech, "Set course to Coruscant upon my arrival. We will be going to the publicly recorded place of residence of Holly Starstorm."

(Forgot to do the @s, lmao)
Holly Starstorm Holly Starstorm || Minerva Fhirdiad Minerva Fhirdiad

Last edited:
"Minerva Fhirdiad. Your boss is paying me good creds to keep an eye on ya little miss crusader."

Holly turned and saw the woman standing there. For a moment she was shocked but as soon as she heard what the woman said she let out an exasperated sigh.

"Oh good grief! I don't need a body guard! CHIEF!"

Before she could even leave her desk the chiefs door opened and he screamed "JUST DO IT STARSTORM" and slammed the door.

"I can't believe this. Okay look I want to find out who is trying to frame me. I'm going to the bank to take a better look at that recording."

"Artemis" SBD-571 "Artemis" SBD-571 Minerva Fhirdiad Minerva Fhirdiad

Minerva raised an eyebrow watching what followed. Her boss either really cares about her or she must be quite useful as a reporter. Keeping that line of thought buried, the Mandalorian then heard Holly declare her intentions. She couldn't help but snort in reaction.

"You have guts I'll say that."

Following the reporter all to the turbolift. Once they were inside she remarked.

"Alright miss crusader so let me get this straight. You got some Hutts mad who likely framed ya and your first instinct is to go to the same bank where it all started. All the while you probably got a price on your head as well."

Minerva let all those words sink in as the lift continued its descent with some annoying office music playing in the background.

"Tell me you at least have a plan."

Holly Starstorm Holly Starstorm @“Artemis” SBD-571

Location: Coruscant, Corusca Sector, Maglev Train A-12 enroute to Sturellex Apartments
Objective: Made an Example of Holly Starstorm

It stands to reason that a droid such as Artemis draws attention and invited worry. Not only for its imposing size, but also for the veritable arsenal it had strapped to it. Perhaps stranger still was seeing such a machine calmly seated on a Maglev Train in an Economic Commute seat. Travelers either headed to work or on their way home gave the droid a wide berth, mostly under the presupposition that such a well armed sort was liable to start fighting at a moment's notice. They would not be entirely wrong, as Artemis was always ready to jump into a fight should something threaten it. Whilst its sensors kept watch on the nearest commuters - a dozen seats away in either direction, Artemis reviewed its intel on the target.

Having been given a record of the bank heist, Artemis ran the face through the
Hypnos' facial recognition software, before leaving the astromech pilot to sort through reported sightings or other camera footage across the immediate city. Of course, even the power of the Hutts had its limits, and thus Artemis could not merrily ransack Security Force records with impunity. Still, the droid would glean what it could from the information accessible. Watching the heist itself showcased a familiarity by the thief in Hutt banks - the speed at which the got through the security systems and avoided the guards spoke of skills that were most illogical for a reporter. And yet, the bounty made no move to hide themselves from the electronic surveillance that they would know about if they were so aware of security patrol patterns. It was almost as if this person wanted to be spotted, but for what reason escaped Artemis, nor did the droid particularly care. Whether it was merely a foolish meatbag or some plot to frame them, Artemis had already been paid in half by the Cartels to kill them - innocent or not.

[ . . . ARRIVAL IMINENT . . . ]

Artemis rose as the Maglev came to a gentle stop, following behind the other passengers that were in a hurry to escape. Those boarding were quick to make room for Artemis, eyeing its impressive arsenal with the same worry those that had travelled with the droid did. Artemis paid them no mind, leaning back to take the towering apartment complex in. Towering being a relative descriptor, it was dwarfed by the neighboring buildings, but it still cut an imposing figure up close.

Artemis approached the building not from the front but from the side, towards one of the maintenance entrances. While the front appeared clean and well-kept, the side entrance was a far cry from the inviting entrance. Trash and clutter covered the ground, with the only space being open for a cargo speeder to pull up and back into a shuttered garage. The actual door inside was an easy enough affair to open, leading into a darkened garage and the bowels of the building. Following the path, and finding no one, Artemis eventually reached a custodial and service elevator.

[ . . . ROOM (312) . . . CALCULATING PATH . . . PATH FOUND . . . ]

The elevator opened up on the third floor, revealing a tan and inoffensive hallway. Raising one of its arms, Artemis moved cautiously down the hallway. The sounds of organic children screaming and laughing to its right, the roar of a holoprojector to its left - organics living their lives unaware of what moved outside their doors. Artemis reached Apartment 312 without issue, yet kept one arm primed to open fire at the first sign of trouble. Using an astromech access prong on its bandolier, Artemis forwarded the security scheme to its astromech.

"Astromech." Artemis growled. After a few moments of hesitation, the droid responded the door's access codes.

[ . . . 3-1-6-7-7-9 . . . ]

Using its thumb, Artemis entered the code. The door slid open far too loudly, silencing whatever activity had been occurring within. Artemis lumbered forwards, arm still raised, into the entry hall of the apartment. Its scanners indicated three life forms - two adults and one child - in one of the adjoining rooms, but that did not mean there was nothing else present. Lumbering forwards, Artemis checked the rooms nearest to it before reach that which seemed to lead into a living room of sorts. Inside, a family of three awaited seated and frozen with indecision. Evidently having heard their home broken into, they had not expected what rounded the corner. The woman and child screamed and the man gaped stupidly, like the emotion-driven organic that he was. Artemis' central programming was running over time, as none of these people were remotely close to looking like Holly Starstorm. Indeed, an initial scan of the room showcased signs of this family living here for months.

As it turned out, the local records were out of date. Someone possibly named Holly Starstorm had lived here at some point, but months before this family. A brief interrogation showcased that this family did not know who the previous owner was, leaving Artemis in a difficult situation. Going to Holly Starstorm's place of work would raise questions and possibly warn the target that she was being hunted. So, with no other option, Artemis left and coursed its next actions.

"Astromech. Chart the fastest path to the Hutt bank. Do not inform them of my impending arrival."

[ . . . PATH CHARTED . . . ]

Until more recent data could be obtained on Holly Starstorm's place of residence, Artemis would need to gather intel from the bank. Warning them may lead the owners - and any who might be in league with the thief - into hiding evidence, something Artemis could not allow.

It left before security could arrive, who in turn were told all about the massive droid hunting for one "Holly Starstorm".

Holly Starstorm Holly Starstorm || Minerva Fhirdiad Minerva Fhirdiad

• Weapons:
    2x Twin-Linked, Wrist-Mounted Blaster Cannons
    2x Light Anti-Infantry Blasters
    4x Thermal Detonators
    4x Sonic Grenades

Equipment:
    1x Short-Range Jetpack
    1x Astromech Prong

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom