Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Shawyer Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
1362096531403035937.png

Image Source: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5glOtu7h--/1362096531403035937.png

Intent: To create a stealthier and more energy-efficient electromagnetic propulsion system for the people of Kiribi and the Galactic Republic.

Development Thread: N/A

Manufacturer: Kiribian Systems Armory (Licensing Options Available)

Model: Shawyer Drive System

Affiliation: Kiribian Systems Union, Galactic Republic

Modularity: No

Production: Production: Mass Produced

Material: Titanium, Ceramics, Components for magnetron.

Description:

The Kiribian military approached KSA with the requirement for a new line of stealth vessels that could endure long periods of operation time without the need for refueling. With no current drive systems on hand to meet such a demanding requirements, KSA was forced to develop a new system from scratch. Many schemes were devised, including developing a line of stealthy ion engines emulating the concept of the Stealth X fighter. Still, no solution was found that provided the right balance of stealth and fuel efficiency.

One engineer working on the project, Robert Shawyer, finally came up with a propulsion system that would meet the requirements. Inspired by the operation of solar sails, he came up with a closed system to emulate the effect of craft being propelled by lasers or tachyon bursts colliding with their sails. His prototype system consisted of a high powered magnetron and a special conical shaped resonance cavity. When activated, the magnetron produces microwaves that are funneled into the cavity. Force is exerted on the surface of the cavity's interior as the microwaves bounce off its surface, much like a laser colliding with a solar sail. Greater force is produced at the wider end of the cavity, which results in thrust.

There are many advantages to the propulsion system that Shawyer developed. Firstly, it is an inherently stealthy design, as no exhaust contrails are produced. With no fuel needed for reaction the drive can run directly off a craft's main power source. The extra space saved by removing unnecessary fuel tanks could then be filled by extra components like a larger reactor or a shield generator. There is no radioactive byproduct produced by the drives, making a safer working environment for maintainers (very important in the minds of the eco-conscious Kiribians). Finally, as no contrails are produced, the drive can be housed inside the superstructure of a craft for added protection and greater maneuverability.

Consideration needs to be taken when selecting materials to produce the resonance cavities, as they heat up when bombarded with microwaves. Common materials like ceramics and titanium are fine to use when producing drives of comparable performance to other propulsion systems like standard ion drives, but quality alloys like phrik are required for high-performance drives used to propel special vessels (read: limited or unique productions).

In honor of his creation, the propulsion system was dubbed the Shawyer drive, with Regor himself making a small fortune off of bonuses and royalties.

*Special Note: As the Shawyer drive is classified as a stealth engine, a development thread is needed for each craft that uses this drive system.

Primary Source:

Other Sources:

Star Wars Wiki

Solar sailer. (n.d.). Retrieved March 02, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_sailer

Ion engine. (n.d.). Retrieved March 02, 2016, from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_engine

Real World Inspirations

RF resonant cavity thruster | Wikiwand. (n.d.). Retrieved March 02, 2016, from https://www.wikiwand.com/en/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster

Emdrive - Theory - Principle of Operation. (n.d.). Retrieved March 02, 2016, from http://emdrive.com/principle.html

EM Drive Developments - related to space flight applications - Thread 5. (n.d.). Retrieved March 02, 2016, from https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38577.msg1440938#msg1440938

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Suravi Teigra"] Sorry for the delay, I will say that you deserve kudos on your research for this. I actually have some experience with this type of drive system as it was part of a miniature modeling project contest on starship miniature forum I frequent.

one thing really quick like

Suravi Teigra said:
Model: N/A
put "Shawyer Drive SYstem" here please

Suravi Teigra said:
Modularity: Depends on the specific drive model.
If there are more than one model you might want to submit them separately. This will give you more mass produced products and keep you from having to clarify what is meant by the statment. If you want to keep this all in one submission please list the model types and their differences

Suravi Teigra said:
Material: Depends on the specific drive model.
Again if there are different models List them and their differences or submit them as their own submission. Let me know how you wish to precede with this please :)

Now moving on...
My big concern is the real world references here to Shawyer. The whole Roger to Regar doesn't seem like enough of a difference. Would you think about just making up a new first name which does not resemble his real name so closely.

This is basically a stealth drive system regardless of how it does it. All stealth systems require development on submissions. So when this is used on a ship submission it will have to have development for the stealth capabilities. Beyond that Its pretty cool. It pushes the star wars into the real world physics but not enough to discard it as not star warsy.

So if your do not mind change his first name so it is nothing like his real world name and put an OOC note on it that it will require development for instillation on a ship because of its stealth capabilities.

as for the different designs, let me know if your wanting to keep this all as one submission or if you decide to make multiple per each model.

Thank you, I've been following developments on the Emdrive since I heard about it back in middle school. It's been awesome to see it be pulled out of the realm of quack science to reality.

I've made all the requested changes. I've changed Regor to Robert, then I'll just submit the high-performance model as a separate entry in the future. I added the note about individual craft requiring their own dev threads.

[member="Reshmar"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom