Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship SF/A-40 'Aries' Strike Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
VvJiuH8.jpg
Image Source: Elite: Dangerous images copyright Frontier Developments

Affiliation: Shadowline
Manufacturer: Shadowline
Model: SF/A-40 'Aries' Strike Fighter
Modularity: N/A
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel Airframe, Neutronium Armor Plating, Duranium Reinforcement, Transparisteel and other starfighter materials.
Classification: Multirole Fighter/Bomber
Length: 22.35m
Height: 6.45m
Width: 18.0m
Armament: Rating 14
The following in four retractable weapon bays.
  • HT-12 Fire-Linked Heavy Laser Cannon
  • Warhead Launcher (magazine size of 5)
  • 30mm 'Grinder' Electromagnetic Chaingun (max of 1 Grinder in any configuration)
  • Javelin Anti-Armor Rocket Pod (10 laser guided missiles)
Defenses: Rating 16
  • Heavy Shields
  • Heavy Armor
  • Basic Countermeasures
  • Fast in bursts, but poor maneuverability
Squadron Count: 6
Special Features:
Maneuverability Rating: 5
Speed Rating: 4
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0

Strengths:
  • Heavily armored and very tough
  • Very fast, in short bursts
  • Heavy Firepower, while munitions last
Weaknesses:
  • Jack of all trades, master of none (except Close Air Support)
  • Poor turning ability
  • Expensive and high-maintenance
  • Large target
Description: The Aries Strike Fighter was designed to fill a perceived need for the Helldivers, that being of a general support craft both in celestial and terrestrial operations. The concept was simple, design a fighter that could operate in both space and atmosphere, and provide fighter support for vulnerable Dropships and landing craft, and then provide Close Air Support (CAS) and strike fighter capability once the Helldivers were boots on ground.

As is so often the case in military development, the execution was the tricky part.

The 'Grinder' chaingun and 'Javelin' missile pods are specialized for atmospheric work (though both function in space) and deserve further explanation. The 'Grinder' is a 30mm seven-barreled chaingun that fires high velocity rounds at almost 4000 rounds per minute. The rounds are are made with a Turanthium/Desh Jacket and a Turadium Penetrator, and are loaded at a 5 to 1 ratio of Armor-Piercing Incendiary to High-Explosive Incendiary (HEI). The gun must be fired in short bursts, or else there is a very serious risk of overheating the barrels (especially in space).

The Javelin missile pod contains a set of 10 anti-armor missiles (arranged in rows in a 3-4-3 configuration) that can be fired either with conventional or laser-guidance. Javelin missiles have a somewhat better anti-armor capability over a conventional concussion missile, but are much shorter ranged (around 15 miles max effective) and have comparatively simplistic guidance packages. To round things off, a conventional flex tube warhead launcher was added to give the 'Aries' some long range versatility.

The armament is rounded out by a single Twin-Linked HT-12 Heavy Laser Cannon, which provides both significant firepower and a respectable rate of fire (thanks to the dual cannon mount).
The second problem discovered was with the capability of the airframe. The engineers imagined a craft that could dogfight as well as it could conduct strafing runs on enemy emplacements. Reality proved otherwise, and while the Aries is rather fast (thanks to the added SLAM), it is also heavy for its size, and not particularly maneuverable. In fact as a dedicated fighter is does rather poorly for its size and cost.

As a partial trade off, some of that mass is a result of the impressive defensive capabilities of the vessel. The Aries is durable, with a shield generator significantly more powerful that those normally present on fighter aircraft, a thoroughly reinforced hull, and neutronium armor. The sheer size of the craft also enabled some versatile features of dubious use to a normal military, but potentially valuable to the Helldivers.

The cockpit is roomy, designed for a pilot and copilot/gunner. While most of the rest of the internal space is taken up by the large shield generators, SLAM Drive, and armor, there remained room to add a sizable pressurized cargo bay, which can hold around 6-10 fully armored soldiers or several tons of equipment. While the Aries is something of a poor choice for a dropship it does give it utility beyond simply close air support.
The end result is a fighter that perhaps performs better as a gunship or support craft than a dedicated interceptor, but is durable enough to make it count in most mission areas. A foreseen cost of this was that the craft is very expensive to produce and is unbelievably maintenance intensive. Shadowline estimates that an Aries can except to spend 1/3 of its lifetime undergoing corrective or preventative maintenance.

As with all Helldiver and Shadowline equipment, the Aries are not sold on the open market, and are restricted to Shadowline personnel. In addition, in the classic Helldiver style, the fighters are heavily customizable in cosmetic ways, and typically every fighter has a unique paintjob.

Development Thread: The Hard Lessons (Helldiver op goes poorly due to lack of air support, driving development of this sub).
Intent: I want a cool fighter that does the Viper Mk III pic justice, and can fill a role that the Helldivers can actually expect to need.
Who Can Use This: Shadowline associates, Helldiver mercenaries, and other select patrons of House Tregessar.

Tdg8nRh.jpg

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Love the image and I'm digging the "giant starfighter" thing you got going on here.
I'm getting a huge Aerospace Fighter vibe off of this, and I love it. (MechWarrior)

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Armament:
4 x Modular Weapon Bays: Each with one of the following:

- Heavy Laser Cannon
- Ion Cannon
- Warhead Launcher (limited magazine size of 4, max of 2)
- 30mm 'Grinder' Electromagnetic Chaingun
- Javelin Anti-Armor Rocket Pod (6 laser guided missiles)

Fighter:
2 x Laser Cannons (or Ion Cannons)
2 x Warhead Launchers

Attack:
1 x Laser Cannon
2 x Javelin Pods
1 x Grinder Chaingun

CAS:
3 x Javelin Pods
1 x Grinder Chaingun
Just to be clear, you mean that even though there are 4 modular weapon slots, only two of these can be used with the warhead launchers, correct?

Since I think you're basing the 30mm chaingun on the real world A-10 Warthog's primary weapon... could you specify that only 1 can be installed on any given configuration?

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Description: The Aries Strike Fighter was designed to fill a perceived need for the Helldivers, that being of a general support craft both in celestial and terrestrial operations. The concept was simple, design a fighter that could operate in both space and atmosphere, and provide fighter support for vulnerable Dropships and landing craft, and then provide Close Air Support (CAS) and strike fighter capability once the Helldivers were boots on ground.

As is so often the case in military development, the execution was the tricky part. One of the key concepts was weapon modularity, to give the fighter versatility and prevent Shadowline (which has a limited ability to make space ships) from having to design several types of fighters. The system works, but is somewhat inefficient, refitting a fighter takes several hours and is all but impossible to do in a combat situation. Almost as a side note, the weapon bays are concealable, and fold in and out of the craft for use.

The 'Grinder' chaingun and 'Javelin' missile pods are specialized for atmospheric work (though both function in space) and deserve further explanation. The 'Grinder' is a 30mm seven-barreled chaingun that fires high velocity rounds at almost 4000 rounds per minute. The rounds are are made with a Turanthium/Desh Jacket and a Turadium Penetrator, and are loaded at a 5 to 1 ratio of Armor-Piercing Incendiary to High-Explosive Incendiary (HEI). The gun must be fired in short bursts, or else there is a very serious risk of overheating the barrels (especially in space).

I love the techno-babble you're working into the description. And I know enough to know that I probably have no idea how terrifying that gun is.
But, I have to ask, why would the weapon be at a greater risk of overheating in space than in atmosphere?

Cyrus Tregessar said:
- Javelin Anti-Armor Rocket Pod (6 laser guided missiles)

The Javelin missile pod contains a set of 8 anti-armor missiles that can be fired either with convetional or laser-guidance. Javelin missiles have a somewhat better anti-armor capability over a conventional concussion missile, but are much shorter ranged (around 15 miles max effective) and have comparatively simplistic guidance packages.
Is this 6 rockets or 8?

Addressing your points with numbers because I'm on my phone.

1. Yes. I'll edit to make it more clear.

2. You are absolutely correct that it's based off the GAU 8, and sure, that's fair. Will edit when I get on something other than phone.

3. Heat can only transfer via radiation in a vacuum, which is pretty inefficient, especially for a weapon probably designed to be partially air cooled by virtue of its exposure to wind.

4. I forgot to change it to 8 all around, since I figure the drastically limited range is a fair trade-off. I'll change it to 8 when I make the other edits, unless you prefer it stay at 6.

[member="War Hydra"]

Edit: Got on a computer, edits made.

I'm willing ot bump it to 3, but as things stand I feel that the ship sacrifices quite a bit in order to move quickly. The dedicated fighter load out is equivalent to an Interceptor, despite it being a very large target, and the Grinder isn't terribly useful in space.

That's the logic I'm working with at the moment. If it still doesn't vibe I'd like to tweak the design some more in order to put it more in line with other bombers and small gunships.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

You're not entirely wrong.

You can do Speed 3 if its heavy shields are heavy for a Starfighter
If they are heavy for a freighter (its size would suggest as much) then Speed 4 is still pushing it.

On further review of other fighters, bombers, and similar craft, I'd like to do a dev thread for this ship to give myself some more leeway in making it fit it's large size.

Request that the thread be archived until such time as the dev thread is finished.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
ereason I ask you have a far too heavy load for a fighter and far to fast for a gunship. for something this big and heavy like a gunship the speed and maneuvering would be 5. So 5 would be standard for it and not slow. Even a much smaller bomber would be speed and Maneuvering 4 and much smaller and lighter fighter 3. So the speed of 2 is an issue.

I would like to recommend you push the Speed back to 4

so the main reason I would like for you to call this a gunships
HT-12 Fire-Linked Heavy Laser Cannon This is 4 weapon systems, 2 heavy laser cannons
Warhead Launcher (magazine size of 5)
30mm 'Grinder' Electromagnetic Chaingun (max of 1 Grinder in any configuration) I assume this is rapid fire so it is 2 weapon systems
Javelin Anti-Armor Rocket Pod (10 laser guided missiles) This has the payload of 2 warhead launchers so should be counted as such

so thats a total or 6 weapon systems and 3 warhead systems. which is perfect for a gunship but heavy for a fighter/bomber But you have some Development so it could be pushed a bit. So if you still want to call it a fighter bomber thats cool but the speed will need to be 4 to match the bombers standard speed. Of if you like you can make the maneuvering 6 and speed 3. Its just really really big I mean its the size of a light freighter.

Well with the Javelin's I specifically tried to make them noticeably inferior than your average warhead, especially when it comes to long range targeting and tracking.

I can't deny the logic, but I will point out that I'm working with a squadron size of half the usual, so the total guns of a single squadron might even come out well below the average. If the issue is size, I'm more than willing to cut it a bit to make it more bomber sized, but the whole character of the vessel is built around the fact that it's abnormally fast for its size.

Does anything work for you along those lines?

[member="Reshmar"]

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
It is the size thing. Its just freeking big lol. Also an X-wing is 3/3. It is just hard to imagine this thing faster than an X-wing just an idea make the speed 4 and throw a SLAM drive on it. You would get your speed 2 in straight line bursts and still keep the big bad behind gunship quality. You have development so it would not be an issue. just for it to auto have speed 2 at this big and heavy just doesn't seem plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom