Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Scalpel-class Heavy Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
AshenWingsLosna.png

Image Credit: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/images/AshenWingsLosna.png
Intent: To develop a new starfighter utilizing more exotic fighter-grade weaponry in an attempt to counterbalance its unusual weapons placement and design.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Subach-Innes
Model: Scalpel-class Heavy Interceptor
Affiliation: Independent/Horde
Modularity: Yes
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Adamithium(hull), Duranium(frame)
Description: After several years of having not released a new starfighter design, Subach-Innes moved to develop a heavy interceptor, one speedy, yet capable of adequately handling hostile bombers or fighters. The result was the spindly craft known as the Scalpel, a speedy, exceptionally erratic ship. Equipped with sensor jammers, microthrusters(allowing for movement in three directions at the same time, though this is not advised as sudden movements inside a gravitational field can and will kill the pilot), and energy-resistant Adamithium plating, the Scalpel proves to be a surprisingly durable and maneuverable ship.

The lightning gun, however, is the key. Shooting arcs of powerful electrical current at an enemy wreaks havoc upon enemy starfighters and bombers, as well as individual capital ship turrets. However, their arrangement with the light lasers in a wide triangular fashion surrounding the cockpit makes for very difficult aiming - while the electrical arc tends to stick with a target, getting a first hit in is very difficult, especially considering the lack of convergence of the individual weapons.

As well, while Scalpels are fast and maneuverable, they are also very fragile. While the Adamithium plate provides them with standard protection against energy weapons(their shields weaker than standard fighters), a single mass driver round, or round from any other projectile weapon, will shatter them. As in literally cause them to splinter into pieces before exploding. Scalpels should never be used when ships with anti-fighter projectile weaponry are in the area unless they are on starfighters themselves.

Classification: Interceptor
Role: Heavy Interceptor
Height: 10m
Width: 15m
Length: 20m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: 2:1 Matter-Antimatter Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Armaments:

• 1 lightning gun(chin mount)
  • 2 light laser cannons(wing mounts)
  • 2 ordnance bays(1 proton torpedo or 3 concussion missiles each)
Hangar: N/A
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Shields
  • Sensors
Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: 150kg
Consumables: 1 week
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability:
Class 1

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Enigma"]

Alright, coupla issues here to start with. First off, the only lightning gun I can find is this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_gun

Which was mounted on a freighter. So I'm gonna ask you to pull those as a start. However, if you're dead set on lightning guns, you can put them through the Tech Factory and then put them on here if/when they're approved.

I'll wait for a reply before I continue judging this sub :)

EDIT: To clarify, youd be putting a custom lightning gun, not a canon one, through the factory.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Enigma"]
My apologies for taking so long. OOC stuff and some IRL bad news took my attention from Factory. Now that I'm back fully, let's get started.

First off, we don't acknowledge "Heavy Interceptor". From the speed and roles you want it to fill, this would be an interceptor. If this is to be a starfighter or an elite starfighter, you'll need to adjust the speed accordingly.

Second off, going off the basis of an interceptor basis, you're carrying three times the guns as you should. Going off of the Lightning Cannon you've subbed, it has a 2x modifier. With that in mind, the interceptor can carry 2 guns and 2 warhead launchers. With the lightning cannon's 2x mod, you've filled up your allotment with one cannon.

As for the warhead launchers, I'm not sure what you mean by "Ordnance Bays". Normally, those hold Proton bombs or other such types of anti-ship/anti-surface emplacement weapons. Concussion missiles and proton launchers are fired from tubes, not ordnance bays.

The indication I received from Jon, and my intent as I stated, were that they counted as a single laser cannon. The fact that it carries a third cannon is counterbalanced by the fact that it has ridiculously fragile armor and will blow up if sneezed on. Very similar to a Japanese fighter.

Ordnance bays refer to the fact that variable secondary weapons(proton torpedoes or concussion missiles, in this case) can be fitted there.

[member="Popo"]

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Enigma"]
I stand corrected, you are right, it is worth one laser cannon. Therefore, you can carry two, not three.

As for your argument in comparing it to a Japanese fighter in durability and armament, you're a bit off. Or, at least, your comparison isn't fully accurate. I'm assuming by your comparison you're referring to Mitsubishi A6M Zero referred to as the "Reisen" by the Japanese or "Zekes/Zeroes" by the Allies. Yes, the Zero was highly maneuverable and highly agile, forcing Allied pilots to adopt a "boom-and-zoom" tactic where they could engage enemy Zeroes where the Japanese fighters had faults, namely climb and dive rates. The trade off for maneuverability and agility was durability and, usually, it didn't take much to knock out a Zero.

Here's why that logic isn't an acceptable tradeoff: The Zero's weapons were, when compared to the primary Allied fighter, the Grumman F4F Wildcat (namely the F4F-3 and F4F-4) ineffective. The Japanese Zero carried 2 Type-97 Aircraft Machine Guns with 500 rounds each and 2 Type-99 20mm Cannons with 60 rounds each. The Japanese Type-97 was a licensed variant of the British Vickers Class E Machinegun (Determined obsolete by 1944) using a .303 caliber/7.7mm round while the Type-99 Cannon was a licensed coppy of the Oerlikon FF, a German made 20mm cannon. The Type-97 was found to be highly inefficient against American and Allied F4Fs that could literally shrug off most enemy fire with ease, especially anything smaller than .50 caliber. The twin Type-99 20mm cannon was effective, but with only 120 rounds total, it was determined as combat ineffective, meaning that while the cannon itself was lethal to enemy craft, the weapon in general was unable to carry a fight due to low ammunition levels. Often, Zero pilots would use both Type-97s and both Type-99s in conjunction to quickly bring down enemy fighters in the attempt to utilize shock tactics in the air, ie. rapidly destroying enemy planes to disrupt and disorient enemy pilots to cause panic, thereby reducing the enemy's combat ability to negligible levels.

When the Japanese Zeros met the F4F-3s and the F4F-4s they were, quite literally, torn to shreds. The F4F-3s carried 4 .50in AN/M2 Browning Machine guns with 450 rounds per gun while the F4F-4 carried 6 .50in AN/M2 Browning Machine guns. These weapons coupled with various tactics such as the Thach Weave and "Boom-and-Zoom" maneuvers as well as the heavy armor the F4F carried showed the Zero's age, shortcomings, and flaws in very visible, flaming balls of shrapnel.

Therefore, with the argument you have stated with the example of the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, you already have a more effective load out with your vulnerabilities listed. Adding more weapons would increase vulnerabilities which, as you have lessened durability already, to continue to do so would make your interceptor completely ineffective as even a grazing hit would tear it apart, kinetic weapon or energy based alike.

As for the ordnance bays, simply state that there are 2 tubes with 4 warheads each and that it is interchangeable between proton torpedoes and concussion missiles. No need to unnecessarily confuse those looking at the submission down the line.

Also, I realize I made an error in my earlier post. Your role is a heavy interceptor, your classification is a starfighter. My apologies, however, if you want to keep the speed 1, you'll need to have it classified as an Interceptor. Otherwise, you'll be able to field a larger array of weapons, but at a speed of 2.

After trying to figure out how to respond to the wall of text... I simply edited. Assuming light lasers are half as powerful as standard lasers, and thus, count as half as much(per this approved submission), it should be ready to go.

[member="Popo"]

Were I to make this either minor-production or limited production, would I be able to keep the specifications as is? The picture features 3 guns, and I really don't want to end up having to scrap it and replace it with another picture of inferior quality.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Enigma"]
Sorry about the wait.
On the assumption that these specific light laser cannons are exactly half as powerful as a standard laser cannon -- a decision which is not to be used as precedent for other submissions -- and given your extremely low warhead count, not to mention the serious limitations of your primary weapon, you are approved. Abuse and suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom