Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Sand Kraken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
the_kraken_by_pointlinearea-d3hbtzq.jpg

Image Credit: PointLineArea
Name: Sand Kraken
Designation: Semi Sentient
Homeworld: Tash-Taral
Language: None
Average Lifespan: 20 years
Estimated Population: Around a hundred, but expanding well.

Average height of adults: 2.8m
Average length of adults: N/A
Skin color: Blue, brown
Hair color: None
Distinctions: Plating. Multiple Legs. Tentacles.

Breathes: I
Strengths:
+Lightsaber resistant Plating
+Can “dig” through sand
+Six tentacles, the middle on either side, can conduct an electric current and electrify foes. Said current seems to be a form of Force Lightning with the strength of an apprentice, with similar weaknesses against sith alchemized equipment.
+Large Size

Weaknesses:
-Weak Minded
-Large Size
-Plating not complete, vulnerable at joints
-Low Population
-Cold Climates can be fatal

Races: None

Diet: Prefers would-be adventurers to smaller Sithpawn. Occassional Forcivore, ala Tuk’ata.
Communication: Clicks
Culture: Solitary and territorial, they only meet to mate.
Technology level: Understands that Lightsabers and blasters are bad for it.
General behavior:
After emerging from their egg Sand Krakens cling nearby their mothers, unable to hunt for themselves. Their mother will bring back food to feed them and their siblings, typically anywhere from eight to a dozen, but as the Kraken’s grow their needs for food exceed what the mother can usually bring back. Infighting results until only two or three children remain. Exceptional mothers have been known to have up to half a dozen children survive in rare circumstances. After around six months the Sand Kraken’s are large enough to hunt the smaller beasts of Tash-Taral alone, at which point the mother forces them off of her territory.

It takes the Sand Kraken four years to fully develop, after which it is ready to mate. Once a year a female will emit pheromones that draws males into it’s territory. When a male enters a female’s territory they will fight, with females only mating if they are defeated. Once a mating is successful the female will stop emitting the pheromone and the male(s) will return to it’s territory. The female will lay a clutch of eight to a dozen eggs, continuing the cycle. Sand krakens are able to breed for the next ten years, after which time they generally age and degrade to the point where other Sithspawn kill them. Their assumed life expectancy is around 20 years, but as opportunistic forcivores their actual life expectancy may be larger, with little subjects actually having reached that age yet.

However this behavior can be interrupted by the presence of a Sith. Like the Battle Hydra’s crafted by Exar Kun they are overly receptive to the commands of a darkside force user. Heeding their words they can understand and be trained to respond to somewhat complex ideas and orders, similar to household pets. Overly complex commands often confuse the beast, leaving it to carry out part of an order or none at all.

History:
In the post-gulag era many have made new breeds of sith spawn, with varying intent. The Akure Leviathan that struck terror in many hearts, the Greater Calama that inspired curiosity in the mind, the Barkspawn that brought joy in a soul. The Sand Kraken was made for other purposes, to be that of a shocktrooper against the Jedi. Stronger than a Tuk’ata yet not as difficult to maintain and breed as a Terentatek the Sand Kraken was built to be a threat, but not one that would inspire a Great Hunt.

Built with lightsaber resistant plating for defense, multiple legs for additional stability, and a series of electric or poisoned tentacles the creature can use it’s forearm plating to deflect blows while attacking with it’s tentacle and still hold it’s ground if a leg or arm is sliced off. Imbued with an instinct telling it long beams of light are very bad, kill, the creature has a tendency to react very violently to the igniting of a lightsaber.

But the most important part Valik built the Sand Kraken with was a mind not unlike the Battle Hydra, attracted to the Dark and it’s influence. Sith and other Darksiders find them easy to command, with apprentices able to command a single creature, while stronger force users could control multiple creatures at once.

The population thus far is sparse, but Valik created enough that the population is large enough to sustain itself and grow without interference. One was discovered by [member="Velok the Younger"], [member="Calina Ovmar"], and [member="Ostanes"], with Calina assuming immediate control, though it’s mind may change hands before the day ends.
Development Thread:A Lab or his Tomb – Various prospectors go through an old Lab of Warren Valik before finding one of his creations, the Sand Kraken.

Notable Player-Characters: None

Intent: To create a new sand-world based Sithspawn as well as add possible sithspawn “Minions” to differing Sith in the Galaxy.

[member="Valik"]

Looks good so far there's just a few things:
  • Development: While you have 88 posts of development I believe an even 100 will be sufficient for this species. I'm going to need the additional 12 posts.
  • Strengths/Weaknesses: The rule of thumb is every strength needs an equal and opposite weakness to counter it. You currently have 5 strengths and 3 weaknesses, I need two more.
    Additionally I need you to elaborate further on the specific weakness that mentions conducting an electric current. Do they have electricity surging inside them to use, or do they need to be hit with electricity to conduct and discharge it at foes?

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Darth Prazutis"]

I was waiting for my 100th post, which came to me about five hours ago while I was at work. Your other points have been addressed, edits in red.

Strengths:
+Lightsaber resistant Plating
+Can “dig” through sand
+Four tentacles, top and bottom sets, secrete a toxin capable of stunning a full-grown human for around a minute.
+Two tentacles, the middle on either side, can conduct an electric current and electrify foes. Said current seems to be a form of Force Lightning with the strength of an apprentice, with similar weaknesses against sith alchemized equipment.
+Large Size

Weaknesses:
-Weak Minded
-Large Size
-Plating not complete, vulnerable at joints
-Low Population
-Yearly breeding cycle

It's an interesting creature to be sure, but I am left wanting with a better balance of weaknesses.

We have three significantly potent physical strengths (what I refer to has a "hard strength" that are severely unbalanced with the presented weaknesses.

Strengths:
HARD STRENGTH +Lightsaber resistant Plating
SOFT STRENGTH +Can “dig” through sand
HARD STRENGTH +Four tentacles, top and bottom sets, secrete a toxin capable of stunning a full-grown human for around a minute.
HARD STRENGTH +Two tentacles, the middle on either side, can conduct an electric current and electrify foes. Said current seems to be a form of Force Lightning with the strength of an apprentice, with similar weaknesses against sith alchemized equipment.
SOFT STRENGTH +Large Size

Weaknesses:
HARD WEAKNESS (but only situational) -Weak Minded
SOFT WEAKNESS -Large Size
HARD WEAKNESS -Plating not complete, vulnerable at joints
SOFT WEAKNESS -Low Population
SOFT WEAKNESS -Yearly breeding cycle

I need one more hard weakness and I need it to be a good one, because frankly the "yearly breeding cycle" is hardly a weakness at all. Most creatures only have or are close to a yearly breeding cycle.

[member="Valik"]

[member="Darth Prazutis"]

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Lorelei Darke"]

What say rather than add a hard weakness the tentacles are changed to all do one thing, rather than both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom