Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle RR-AW 'Prowler' Mk.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Tank_Concept_Art_by_Galan_Pang_01.jpg

• Intent: To provide the Republic Remnant an Assault Walker.
  • Image Source: X
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Republic Industries (Republic Remnant)
  • Model: RR-AW 'Destroyer' Prowler Mk.3
  • Affiliation: Republic Remnant
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Ferrocarbon frame, composite armor plating (Ferrocarbon [Top layer] Trimantium [Second layer], Dura-armor [Final layer]. between each layer is a layer of Quantum Fiber), standard vehicle components.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification:: Heavy Walker
Role: Tank Destroyer Walker
Size: Average
Weight: Heavy

Minimum Crew: Two [Gunner/Driver]
Optimal Crew: Three [Gunner/Driver/Commander]
Propulsion: Quadrupedal
Speed: 100 km/h Fast
Maneuverability: Very High
Armament: Very High

• Pintle-Mounted Heavy Repeating Blaster, Low
  • Rail Cannon, Very High
Defenses: Low
  • Composite Plating, Low
  • Redundant Shielding, Low
Squadron Count: 8, Low
Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: Very Small

SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:

• Wall Crawler - The Prowler's leg design allows it to climb and scramble up surfaces normally considered impassable by other vehicles as it 'digs' them into the surface. This isn't always safe and the harder the surface, the more likely the Prowler is to not be able to dig in deep enough to climb. High surfaces have an increased chance of slips, however, it is a potent tactical advantage the Prowler enjoys over the 'chicken walkers' of other nations.
  • Potent Weapon - The Destroyer's main weapon, its rail cannon, fires dense tungsten rounds at hypervelocity speeds making it excel against armored targets able to greatly threaten any vehicle it faces even those with thick armor and advanced shields. Due to the speed of the round, the rail cannon is very accurate with little deviation or drop.
  • Fast - The prowler is fast for its size and being a walker. Able to out run and maneuver most other heavy walkers as well as maneuver itself to advantageous positions with clear lines of fire.
Weaknesses:
  • Vulnerable - The Destroyer is a walker and, as such, has all the common weaknesses of its chassis such as exposed, and weak, joints that can easily be crippled by AT weaponry. Moreover, the rail cannon of the destroyer drains much of its power reserves in order to fire, so when it is charging up its secondary systems, noticeably it shielding, is greatly reduced or even goes offline depending on their current energy levels greatly weakening the Destroyer to return fire or against multiple foes.
  • Rail Cannon - The Rail Cannon, while powerful and potent, has numerous weaknesses. Its slow firing rate means the Destroyer is not suited against multiple targets or anything that takes more then a few hits to knock out. The Rail Cannon drains the energy reserves weakening, or even taking down, its shielding. Once fired, the gun needs to cool off which further slows down the firing rate. Because of the speed of the shots, it is unsuitable for indirect fire even with computer supported guidance, and finally, due to its slow firing rate and AT specialization, it is rather useless against 'soft' targets and the repeating blaster is inadequate defense against infantry advances. This Rail Cannon also takes a bit of 'prep' time as, in order to handle the large recoil, the Destroyer needs to 'plant' its legs into the ground.
  • Walker - Walkers come with a number of inherent weaknesses, such as incredibly vulnerable joints. The eggheads at the Republic did their best to mitigate these by adding more legs so the loss of one wasn't the end as well as building it lower to the ground allowing it to 'crouch' behind cover, however, there is only so much that can be done for hte inherent weaknesses of the chassis.
DESCRIPTION
The Prowler was designed to fill the role of assault walker for dense urban environments, jungle environments and other environments where standard tanks and other such vehicles would have trouble moving around it. Due to the bureaucratic, and cheap, nature of the Republic Remnant, the 'Destroyer' Prowler is just a rearmed chassis of the basic Mk.1 Prowler with a larger gun and more advanced turret.

was made to be a 'one-size' fits all design with three different variants excelling at three different purposes allowing them to be deployed to meet their foe at optimal efficiency. As is becoming common of the Republic Remnant vehicles [at least the ones I make], speed and mobility, coupled with high stopping power, is far more important to them then raw durability which the Prowler exemplifies.

Technical Explanations

Crew: The Prowler has three crew members, the driver's job is a bit more complicated then others as they have to be mindful of the structural integrity of walls that wish to climb, this is aided by a powerful sensor giving it readouts on the material and a rough estimate of likelihood of collapse, as well as a strong spacial awareness as the prowler is meant to be able to flank and 'crouch' behind cover, using its smaller silhouette to its advantage. The Gunner operates the main gun, unlike most gunners, their job is a bit more complex as they cannot afford to miss with the rail cannon given its long reload time and, moreover, on the vehicle's down time, the gunner acts as an engineer making needed repairs on the vehicle if given supplies and enough time. The Commander acts, well, as the commander, keeping an eye on the tactical displays and sensors to remain on top of the situation and controls, via remote, the pintle-mounted heavy repeating blaster.

Defensive Systems: Like the previous Prowlers before it, and suiting as this is based on the same chassis, the destroyer is protected by advanced composite plating, however, due to the more expensive design and more room needed to the subsystems to handle the rail cannon strain, the armor of the walker had to be reduced to make room for it as well as to make it slightly more cost effective. The armor is slanted to better resist direct hits, however, like all walkers, its joints are incredibly vulnerable as it isn't something that could be plated effectively. It has two shield generators set up in a 'redundant' system, only one is ever active at a time, when it gets to 40%, the second generator will kick on allowing the first time to recover. This is designed to endure over long firefights, however, due to its nature, high power weaponry can punch through the first shield before the second comes up, however, the Republic Remnant researches feel this is an acceptable trade-off for better protection against 'common' AT weaponry. The Prowler, like nearly all Republic Remnant vehicles, comes with a 4x-Phantom Short Range Sensor Jammer to help protect it further by disrupting targeting systems.

Weapon Systems: Like all prowlers it shares the same chassis and the same a pintle-mounted heavy repeating blaster that is remotely controlled by the commander. It has a 360° firing arc able to fire in any direction around the Prowler, it is only a threat to infantry and the lightest of vehicles [unarmored speeders], but is good for suppression. It should be noted that all of the Prowler's weaponry is unable to fire 'down' beneath it, but tt can fire at lower elevations by lowering its front legs.

Its main armament is a potent rail cannon on its back capable of coring most vehicles and threatening even the heaviest of vehicles with its power. In order to fire the weapon, the Prowler must 'dig' itself into the ground, planting its two front legs deep into the earth as the recoil of the railgun is brutal, if it doesn't do this, it risk damaging itself. The cannon is incredibly accurate thanks to the hypervelocity speeds ensuring little drag or deviation is placed on the round, however, once fired, the gun must cool, this is easily seen with the large amount of steam it gives off as the coolant rushes to fill the firing mechanism, this leaves it dangerously vulnerable after each shot. Due to the expense of this variant, these come in smaller squadrons and, most importantly of all, the power draw of the main gun is such that the Destroyer's secondary systems, such as its jammer and shields, are greatly weakened when it is powering up to discharge its weapon. If these systems are already damaged or the energy reserves are low, powering up the weapon will cause these systems to completely shut down.

Apologies to anyone who has looked at this yet, but I wasn't satisfied with it and did some overhauls.

Full List of changes:
  • Switched the Blaster Cannons variant to become the standard Prowler variant.
  • The AT missile was switched to a six-pack concussive missile launcher and given only to the standard Prowler.
  • The Autocannon Prowler, the Eradicator, and the Railgun Prowler, the Destroyer, were moved to Limited production to reflect their specialized, off-shoot, roles.
  • The Railgun Prowler, the Destroyer, was moved to a smaller squadron size to reflect its more specialized nature.
  • The Railgun Prowler, the Destroyer, had its shielding removed. It may have been something that was allowed due to its limited production, however, thematically, I liked the idea of the railgun draining so much power that it could not be adequately shielded, and as such, shielding was removed.

[member="Iona Immarya"], it's pretty clear that you've put a lot of thought into these walkers, and that's always pleasant to see as a factory judge.

Judging by the amount of detail that you've put in each variant, and how there are some pretty significant differences between these variants and their capabilities, I think that this should probably be split up into multiple submissions.

[member="Gir Quee"] I have more then a few ground based vehicles I need to chew through for the faction, so I was hoping to get them through just as variants of one another since, for the most part, the difference is just weaponry and production scale. The Destroyer is the only one with anything extra and that is just the removal of the shields.

If there is no way they can be judged together then I can spread them out. :( But really rather knock them out now.

EDIT: You know, thinking over it more, that does make sense on a thematic scale. Can have the basic variant be the Mk.1 then the next the Mk. 2 and the Destroyer as the Mk. 3 with production decreasing as they are entering/completing their combat trial periods. Give me a few minutes to edit the initial post, to cut what I need into another thread for the next Mk. and take out all but the Mk. 3 stuff.

[member="Gir Quee"] Forgive the double post, but I wanted to ensure you were tagged, again, when I had the edits done. I gutted out all the other variants and pushing this forward as a single model. The Rail Cannon being Mk. 3 [Autocannon Mk. 2 and Blaster being Mk. 1 which I will put up as separate submissions] and is now the only thing that is being submitted in the original post.

Some edits to what it was before:
Dropped production of it, being the rail cannon, to Minor instead of the before limited.
Gave it back its shielding, but the shielding is greatly weakened [or if already weakened turned off] when the weapon is powering up.
Moved armor up to high since it was a minor production.

Iona Immarya said:
If there is no way they can be judged together then I can spread them out. But really rather knock them out now.

I'll probably get your other subs today, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long before you can make more vehicle submissions.

Iona Immarya said:
Armament: Pintle-Mounted Heavy Repeating Blaster, Low Rail Cannon, Very High Defenses: Composite Plating, High Redundant Shielding, Average

Per the template, we need overall ratings for the Armament and Defense. If you want to put down ratings for the individual weapons, that's fine, but it's not required.

[member="Gir Quee"] Added an 'overall' rating to both of those categories. And dropped defense back to average because, I think, it was 1 rating over.

Thanks! Would appreciate it. I'll run over to the other two subs and make sure their armament and defense, overall, ratings are listed.

[member="Iona Immarya"], looking better. I'm looking at this design from a gameplay balance design viewpoint right now. As I do that, I think about how the ratings compare to the average tank (the closest existing role that I see this fulfill).

Looking at the tank template examples (along with the heavy and scout walker examples), I feel like this is a bit unbalanced. We have really excellent maneuverability and firepower, along with good speed and average defenses and squadron count. It has no real weak point. There is not really any one area in its basic, combat-oriented stats which compensates for its "Very High" armament and maneuverability. Even with minor production, I think that we need to see these "Very High" ratings reduced and/or another rating(s) taken below average.

[member="Gir Quee"] I also edited out any AI bits that I could find and changed them to computer assisted.

Alright, that is a good way to look at it, so the original idea behind this walker was to be a fast, anti-tank sniper, so running with that theme, I lowered the armor rating to low [making it even more fragile as its shield is still reduced before it fires] and dropped the squad count to low to reflect its trial nature. Keeping production at minor as I like the idea of it being field tested [with the other variant being limited and standard being mass].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom