Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Reaver-class assault tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://fotki.ykt.ru/albums/userpics/26151/42_b_wootten_04.jpg
Artist not known, but found on this site: http://dnevniki.ykt.ru/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD_%D0%9E%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8C/517726
[SIZE=10pt]Intent: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]To create an assault tank for Firemane Industries to sell on the market.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Firemane Industries
Model: Reaver-class assault tank
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Affiliation: Firemane Industries & Technology, put on the market for clients.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Modularity: None
Production: Mass produced
Material: Durasteel
Description: The Reaver-class assault tank was created in order to provide Firemane Industries with a standard assault tank it can sell to its clients on the market. Presumably the Eldorai troops of the Kaeshana Confederation will also be equipped with it, given Firemane's contract to help modernise their military. The name is an obvious reference to the fearsome Reavers, the savage monsters created through Bando Gora science against whom Omega Pyre fought a series of battles, until then-Exarch Kerrigan conquered their homeworld Gehenna and razed their subterranean capital, though as the battle the Fringe fought at the Hebrides shows, splinter groups remain. Given that Alcori and Kerrigan, who prosecuted the Bando Gora war, head Firemane, the name was an obvious homage.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]A mobile platform designed to serve as a mainline tank the Reaver-class is equipped with a single mass driver cannon that is located in the turret and can be loaded with a variety of solid shot, energy and HEAT ammunition. This gives it powerful anti-armour capabilities at range and makes it a useful main line tank, though the gun has a slow rate of fire. For anti-personnel attacks, more unconventionally, a flamethrowers located in the hull. Flamethrowers were used extensively during the final battle on Gehenna, mostly by infantry, in some cases mounted on vehicles as vast tunnels filled with Reavers and the monsters they created had to be cleansed. Their use fit with the aggressive and often brutal tactics endorsed by Kerrigan. The flamethrower has a range of about 100 metres, with fuel tanks it has a fuel capacity of 1200 litres and the heat caused by the flames is about 400 degrees celsius. With the mass driver cannon as primary weapon against other tanks and vehicles, the flamer is intended for anti-personnel use up close against infantry without anti-armour weapons, as driving up against soldiers with sophisticated anti-tank missile launchers is a recipe for getting blown to scrape, along with flushing out positions such as bunkers and pillboxes and is useful when it comes to clearing out tunnels. Moreover, to an extent flames can be used as an area denial weapon. Further anti-personnel capabilities are provided by a cupola and a coaxial repeater, enabling better coverage against infantry, especially at range.[/SIZE]

However, the flamer is also a significant weakness, as a hit against the flamer fuel would have devastating consequences. It would release high octane flammables that would set the tank alight and wound or kill the crew, thus turning the weapon of terror against it. There is an emergency venting system, but if all the fuel goes up the tank would into a giant fuel air bomb, so in all likelihood not much could be for the crew, though it is still better for it to off outside than inside. [SIZE=10pt]W[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]hile flames can have a damaging psychological effect, in order to use them one has to get up close in the first place. Any tank with a flamer is liable to find itself a tempting target on the battlefield. The mass driver cannon is a very powerful and gives the tank good anti-armour capabilities even against heavy vehicles, but it is limited by the fact that it has a rather slow rate of fire. Moreover, it is not a weapon for close range, giving the Reaver-class a disadvantage against faster enemy armour that manages to get up close.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The tank's armour is a combination of composite armour and durasteel. Seventy per cent of the hull and thirty per cent of the drive assemblies are sloped. Regarding the 'effective' armour thicknesses, it has 1400 mm against HEAT/HESH, 700 mm against Armour Piercing Rounds and 900 mm against Energy Rounds. The internal layer of the armour has an anti-spalling coating.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Role: Assault tank[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Height: 2.6 m [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Length: 7 m
Width: 3.6 m
Weight: 48 tons
Minimum Crew: Commander/driver, gunner, loader, (3)
Optimal Crew: Commander, driver, loader, gunner (4)
Propulsion: Tracked
Top Speed: 90 KM/H
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Armaments: One mass driver cannon, one flamethrower in the hull, one cupola heavy repeating [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]blaster as a turret where the hatch is located, one coaxial repeater.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: N/A, aside from tools, spare parts, ammunition, fuel tanks for the flamethrower.
Misc. Equipment: Standard communications and sensor equipment. It has bazooka plate/anti missile cages; as shaped charged warheads require direct contact with the hull to be effective, the cages make the warhead detonate away from the hull and thus provide additional protection.
[/SIZE]

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
I'll be judging this sub but please Be patient with me as I'm at work. I should have time soon though. I have some issues with the tank but I would like to work through em with ya.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
Alright, discussed changes and edits were made and I'm happy to see you liked some of my suggestions to improve the vehicle :p Approved on my end pending secondary.

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

Thank you. After having reflected and received advice on this, I'd say that based on the pic I would estimate that seventy percent of the hull and thirty percent of the drive assemblies are sloped. As for armour thickness, 1400 mm against HEAT/HESH, 700 mm against AP and 900 mm against energy rounds. I have edited these numbers in.

Hrm..

I'll allow the stated protection, mainly because it's sorta difficult to estimate equivalences of RHA (rolled homogeneous armor) when working with non-real materials. However, I'd like to see something about what the armor is made of. Is it a composite? Ceramic? Only durasteel? Etc. Given the stated protection equivalencies, I'd take it that it's a composite design.

But, yes, could you add a small blurb about the armor material please?

Again, tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

Well, typically, the ERHA (effective rolled homogeneous armor) value would be higher against AP rounds instead of HESH/HEAT rounds if no composite materials are used, such as 100% durasteel construction. Consider that resistance against AP rounds is mainly about having a hard material; thickness is what gives it strength against AP. Against HEAT and HEAP, you're looking at composite materials in order to break up the jets produced by the HEAT effect.

So, if you'd like to keep the armor material as only durasteel, it'd make more logical sense to switch the HEAT/HEAP and AP ERHA values, i.e. 1400mm AP and 700 HEAP/HEAT.

Thoughts?

Again, please tag in your reply. :)

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

Thank you for your response. I have made the following edit after receiving advice on the matter: 'The tank's armour is a combination of composite armour and durasteel. Seventy per cent of the hull and thirty per cent of the drive assemblies are sloped. Regarding the 'effective' armour thicknesses, it has 1400 mm against HEAT/HESH, 700 mm against Armour Piercing Rounds and 900 mm against Energy Rounds. The internal layer of the armour has an anti-spalling coating.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom