Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Radiative Deflection Omnidirectional Sail (RADOS) Field Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Image Source: N/A
Intent: A new type of field/propulsion technology, as a component for future inventions. Loosely based off the IRL M2P2.
Development Thread: None
Manufacturer: Theed Palace Space Vessel Engineering Corps
Model: RADOS Field Projector
Affiliation: Theed Hangar, select customers
Modularity: It is a module
Production: Limited
Material: Field projector electronics

Strengths:
  • Converts diffuse, incoming radiative energy (e.g. stellar radiation, a small portion of weapons fire, the energy emitted by shields when they intercept projectiles) into kinetic energy, with sufficient efficiency to generate a moderate amount of sublight thrust.
  • Resists/bounces off other forms of shielding (in theory, you could use the RADOS field to pinball something off another ship's shields).
Weaknesses:
  • Very, very poor defensive qualities against actual weaponry (around 0.1x the strength of standard ray/particle deflector shielding).
  • Resists/repels other forms of shielding (don't brush up against other ships, or you'll find yourself careening, possibly out of control).
  • You're heading in the direction that net energy compels you to go, like a light-based solar sailer; Dooku's ship this ain't.
  • Confined to small ships (corvette or smaller).

Description: The Radiative Deflection Omnidirectional Sail (RADOS) Field Projector is something of a thought experiment. Although easily overwhelmed by weapons fire, this unique field intercepts radiative energy and converts it to kinetic energy. The generator can be scaled for anything corvette size or smaller. The field extends some distance away from the hull, so as to catch as much energy as possible.

The RADOS field can convert energy from anywhere along the electromagnetic spectrum. Thus, when the RADOS field is employed as a solar sail, and the vessel is near a star, the whole spectrum of background stellar radiation is converted into kinetic energy. This makes the RADOS field a functional solar sail. In speed, it's comparable to a tachyon sail or standard engines, but it's bound to the net directionality of incoming radiation (generally, a star) like a traditional light-based sail. Skilled operators can adjust the field to prioritize different sources of light/radiation when such are available; naturally, this is called 'tacking.'

The RADOS field interacts strangely with other kinds of fields. Standard ray/particle deflector shields release large amounts of energy when struck by anything. If that anything is a RADOS field, the RADOS converts to kinetic energy most of the energy that the other shield just released. The RADOS then ricochets away, around 10-15% faster than the relative velocity of the collision should allow. (Note that the impact's effect on another ship's shields is no larger than any other impact with similar relative mass and velocity.) This property makes the RADOS a tricky proposition for a ship-handler. The RADOS field can be quite large; it is expanded or contracted as necessary for steering/acceleration control). If the field is dialed up in size, collision is more likely. If the RADOS brushes against the shields of another ship, the vessel mounting the RADOS will get a jolt in the opposite direction. Since RADOS fields are generally meant for elite personal yachts and small-scale projects, the RADOS-equipped ship can get its trajectory affected profoundly.

The RADOS is thus meant for experienced handlers. It comes with a raft of disclaimers and warnings, none of which stop the occasional young, rich daredevil from pinballing his new solar sailer through a fleet with ever-increasing velocity, or bouncing along the surface of a planetary shield. (Acceleration is largely cosmetic and hugely situational, and would have no extreme effect on starship speed ratings.) Theed Hangar is looking into combat applications, but so far the RADOS remains a curio and a toy, its benefits dubious and its cost prohibitive.

Primary Source:[SIZE=12.2222px] [/SIZE][SIZE=12.2222px]Not influenced by any Chaos submissions. Loosely based off the real-life M2P2 and the three main kinds of solar sail in Star Wars (radiation, tachyon, exotic).[/SIZE]

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Solar sails are pretty well established, and while I don't know of an exact canon technology that replicates the ability to absorb stellar radiation quite like this, I think that surface charge capacitance and Kerts-Bhrg field generator technologies come pretty close to it.

Ajira Cardei said:
The RADOS field interacts strangely with other kinds of fields. Standard ray/particle deflector shields release large amounts of energy when struck by anything. If that anything is a RADOS field, the RADOS converts to kinetic energy most of the energy that the other shield just released.
Given these sentences, can the RADOS field projector potentially be used as a shield-sapping weapon? If so, how potent is it?

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Gir Quee"]

I wouldn't say sapping, considering this thing doesn't absorb energy to make itself stronger, it just...bounces rather than breaking. An impact is an impact, I suppose: the other shield would probably see a drop proportional to relative velocity, mass, etc., comparable to your average shield-to-shield impact or a handful of warheads or whatever. There's no trick to this: from the other ship's perspective, something's run into the shield at some velocity or other, causing a fractional shield decrease. The RADOS doesn't make that decrease larger than any other collision with similar relative velocity/mass, if that's what you're asking. I mean, you could pinball a RADOS between two parallel ships or multiple layers of shield or something, and each impact would be fractionally more intense than the last, but that's about it.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Gir Quee"]

Added this to the sub. Work for you?

(Note that the impact's effect on another ship's shields is no larger than any other impact with similar relative mass and velocity.)

[member="Ajira Cardei"], I think I may be conceptualizing this somewhat differently than you have intended; please bear with me as I work towards getting on the same page.

Ajira Cardei said:
Note that the impact's effect on another ship's shields is no larger than any other impact with similar relative mass and velocity.
Is the momentum behind this impact the the force of the entire RADOS-equipped ship? Or just the RADOS field/sail itself?

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Gir Quee"]

Case A: Ship A runs into ship B, shield-against-shield collision. Ship B experiences a shield reduction of one kind or another.

Case B: Ship A outfits a RADOS and runs into ship B, shield-against-shield collision. Ship B experiences the exact same shield reduction as in case A. RADOS doesn't affect that.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Gir Quee"]

Added some more clarification in the strengths, and added another weakness (can't be used on large ships). I had this mental image of a Star Destroyer charging through someone else's formation and making them all ricochet away, and that's not at all what I intend. I've given you every use I've thought of for this thing (apart from trivia like silent shield-against-shield launch mechanisms or whatever). Like I said, no trick here.

Ajira Cardei said:
The RADOS then ricochets away, around 10-15% faster than the relative velocity of the collision should allow.
I somehow missed fully comprehending this in my first reading of the sub, which answers my questions.

Ajira Cardei said:
Confined to small ships (corvette or smaller).

Ajira Cardei said:
The generator can be scaled for a starship of any size; the field extends some distance away from the hull, so as to catch as much energy as possible.
Slight discrepancy here, but once that's fixed, I think this will be ready for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom