Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ra Missile Defense Turret

Status
Not open for further replies.
RA DEFENSE MISSILE TURRET
sc2__terran_missile_turret_by_phillgonzo-d39fjom.jpg
Image Source: Here
Intent: To Create a Thing

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:
  • As needed
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industries
Model: Mk1
Affiliation: ArmaTech
Modularity: Yes
  • Aesthetics
Production: Minor
Material: Duraplast, Durasteel, Electronics

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Missile Launcher Turret
Size: Ship Mounted
Length: 4 Meters
Weight: 50 Metric Tons
Ammunition Type: Advanced Homing Missiles
Ammunition Capacity: Dependent on Ship
Effective Range: Long Point Defense Range
Rate of Fire: 4 Missiles

DESCRIPTION
The Ra Defense Missile Turret has been designed as ArmaTech's most ambitious most effective Anti-Starfighter defense weapon. Where as the Witch Fire CIWS excels against missile weapons and unshielded targets, the Ra is designed for eliminating powerful starfighters, gunships, bombers, and even providing some defense against picket corvettes.

The Core of the weapon is its automated programming, designed to allow the turrets to operate without need for manual instruction, as it could be complicated and time consuming for sentient interaction when the turret is meant to engage lightning fast vessels known for attempting to out-maneuver defensive weapons and gunners on much slower ships like destroyers.

The Turret is operated from a complex dual droid brain connected to an advanced Targeting and Sensor computer, similar to those that would be found on a Starfighter. The sensor suite features a full spectrum sensor and scanner, capable of processing over one thousand real-space objects at once. The targeting computers are powerful, able to target and process up to twenty targets each, and engage up to four at once. Because of its design, it will ignore missiles, mines, and bombs unless there are no other targets to engage.

The targeting computer is enhanced by a G-003 Tri-Tracker, featuring its advanced Target Acquisition and Tracking computer. This assists in processing signature locks on all targets in the weapons vector of interest. It then processes the target's position relative to the weapon, accounts for defensive maneuvers, countermeasures like signature scramblers, chaff, flares, jamming, and then extrapolates this data to increase the likelihood of a true hit on the target.

The Automated targeting system is able to engage up to four targets at once, because of the quad missile launcher, it targets based on threat level. An Interceptor will be targeted by a single missile, whereas a Starfighter or bomber would be targeted by two, and a gunship, dropship, freighter, or shuttle would be targeted by four missiles. This is because for larger starfighters, rarely is a single missile enough to disable it, and so more are fired simultaneously.

The turrets are normally networked together through the ship's main computer in order to prevent unnecessary overlapping fire against small targets, and allow multiple turrets to engage larger vessels. Under normal circumstances, the turrets engage by order of precedence, the closest threats are targeted first, but they can be commanded to fire on certain targets via manual control, such as an approaching corvette or frigate.

The warhead uses enhanced maneuvering systems and a fine tuned etheric rudder so that it may preform more difficult maneuvers. The warhead is able to dodge objects with some degree of success, evading things like space born phenomena, other homing missiles tracking the target, and other ships that traverse its flight path, making it difficult to shake.

Unlike many ArmaTech warhead launcher designs, the Ra does not feature a modular warhead load, firing only powerful starfighter grade proton torpedoes in order to cut costs of developing and producing additional rockets which are already expensive.

Once its warheads are expended, the magazine quickly reloads the tubes through a dual magazine feed through the center of the turret, each one feeding one side of the turret. The reload time is stated to be as fast as the re-chambering of a warhead in a starfighter's launcher.

When pitched, the lead designer asked "Do you Praise the Sun? You will." and appropriately named the Ra Missile Defense Turret for an ancient Solar Deity, just like he had with the Hellion and Helliod launchers before it.

Strengths:
  • Explosive Power: Using its Quad Missile array, the Ra Missile Launcher is extremely deadly against enemy fighters.
  • Homing: The Ra missiles is extremely difficult to evade or disable.
Weaknesses:
  • Targeting Limitations: The System is designed for anti-Starfighter and anti-Ship roles. Things like missiles, warheads, and mines aren't targeted by the weapon.
  • Standard Loadout: The Launcher only fires one type of Warhead, nothing else.
Special Features:
  • Advanced Targeting Capabilities
  • Fast Rack Magazine
  • Count as 4 Defense Guns
REFERENCES

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

This looks pretty good.

Draco Vereen said:
Effective Range: 10,000 Meters
For whatever reason, starfighter grade missiles in Star Wars tend to have fairly short ranges (especially compared to real life missiles). For example, the MG7-A Proton Torpedo has an optimum range of 200 meters and a maximum range of 600 meters.

I'd like to see this range be 1 km or less, or alternatively follow this submission's lead and use something like "long point defense range".

[member="Gir Quee"]

Cool, I based it off the Sidewinder and cut that back (Sidewinder is like 16-24km depending on altitude). I'm not sure why Star Wars are so low, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't take motion into account, you feel me. A Starfighter would eat 200 meters in a second or two.

Either way Edited in like 10 Seconds to Long Point Defense Range

Draco Vereen said:
Cool, I based it off the Sidewinder and cut that back (Sidewinder is like 16-24km depending on altitude). I'm not sure why Star Wars are so low, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't take motion into account, you feel me. A Starfighter would eat 200 meters in a second or two. Either way Edited in like 10 Seconds to Long Point Defense Range

Yeah, I think that's probably pretty likely. Unfortunately it's one of those areas where the canon is everywhere. You could probably get me started on a rant about this...but we won't go there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom