Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship R44 Republic Snubfighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archive

A
steve_chinhsuan_wang_02.jpg

Image Source: Blogspot
Affiliation: Galactic Republic
Manufacturer: Galactic Republic
Model: R73 Republic Snubfighter
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced
Material: Titanium alloy
Classification: Starfighter
Length: 13m
Height: 2.5m
Width: 8.5m

Armament:
4x Laser Cannons
2x Proton Torpedo Launchers, 4 per launcher.

Squadron Count: 12

Special Features:
Standard Starfighter Equipment:
Shields
Hyperdrive
Astromech Droid
Comms
Sensors
Targeting systems
Life support

Maneuverability Rating: 2.5
Speed Rating: 3
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0

Strengths:
+We Love This: Because of the need to have a standardized, easily produced fighter, maintenance and refit are exceptionally easy to accomplish. The internals of the vessel are designed to be as easily understood as possible. This allows mechanics and loaders to identify and fix problems with a minimum of turnaround time.
+No S-Foils, but Still Super: Taking a cue from the X-Wing, the ship is designed to achieve a balance of firepower, protection and mobility. It accomplishes this fairly well.
Weaknesses:
-Keep It Simple, Stupid: Because the ship is designed to be common, easy to produce, field and repair, there is little advanced or flashy about it. It does its job. It won't be outperforming, say, an XJ-9 but it can keep up. Ultimately, the hope is that pilot experience can make up for being a bit cheaper on parts.
-No, seriously. Simple: As a first attempt at a new starfighter, the tech sometimes misfires. Sensors read ghost pings, the display of shield levels sometimes falls down to 0% before immediately correcting. No fixes have been put forward for the glitches just yet, but they're more an annoyance than a grave danger. This can, of course, seriously affect the outcome of a dogfight if you're reacting to a threat that isn't actually there.

Description: Incom departed, questions were raised, and a solution was put forward. Make the X-wing, just, ya know, not an X-wing. Not illegal. Probably. Regardless, once the supply of Incom fighters - the Republics former majority supplier of starships - dwindled and then disappeared, the Republic needed to clamp down and start producing its own starfighters. This severing of ties reinforced that relying on outside companies to produce your goods might not be the greatest idea.

So the Republic set out to make its own. Fielding the same armament as the X-Wing and built around the similar concept of a holy trinity of firepower, protection and mobility, this design was put forward as a replacement. While nowhere near as flashy as some of the vessels Incom supplied, it is a capable and down-to-earth first attempt at a new state produced fighter.
Development Thread:
Intent: Replace the X-Wing. It ain't broke, so it don't need fixed. But it is gone, so the hole done need filled.

Archive

A
[member="Raziel"]

Hehe. I don't come into the Factory often, but when I do I'm quietly efficient.

Since I figured the Interceptor was sitting on 1, I chalked the X-wing up to a 2 but due to silhouette size it was hard to tell.

edited.

Archive said:
[member="Raziel"]

Hehe. I don't come into the Factory often, but when I do I'm quietly efficient.

Since I figured the Interceptor was sitting on 1, I chalked the X-wing up to a 2 but due to silhouette size it was hard to tell.

edited.
Reasonable point, I should perhaps put some example numbers past the other judges for charity's sake.

Thanks for the edit, pending approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom