Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about Metals.

With Iridonian Weaponry (Hopefully) approved, I want to make 'Iridonian Steel'. Basically durasteel mixed with tatooine sand, and made similarly to how the Vikings made their own steel (Certain ratio of iron to sand, and smelt it).

It won't have really any differences saver for being only slightly stronger than durasteel, and have a unique color (Undecided as to what yet). Can I actually do this?

Vikings didn't make steel with sand. No one did excepting black 'iron sand', and that was used primarily in Eastern Cultures where other, more pure/steady and reliable sources of iron like mountainous/meteoric and bog iron were unavailable. It wouldn't be any more or less superior that regular old carbon steel and likely inferior to durasteel in the way you are talking about, unless tatooine sand has some magical mineral or metallurigcal properties, which it doesn't.

Alloys and new metals are possible, but the way you describe yours wouldn't give you the end result you're wanting.

EDIT: Also, resmelting would SEVERELY alter the make up of durasteel to the point you likely wouldn't get the right properties. If you want a new alloy (because at this point it's an alloy, not a new metal) you're better off using the same components as durasteel with your new ingredients added in and smelting from there.

EDIT X2: Also, Vikings used bog ore, which often had a stupendously high phosphorus content, so they tended to fold their steel to drive out the impurities and forge weld several metals together (just like japanese panel steel in katanas) to get a sword that was even usuable and not full of impurities and flaws and such. It wasn't until the tail end of the viking age they could reliably produce monosteel, and even then it wasn't via the process you mention, though I am willing to help explain said process and see if I can help guide you to understand it well enough to make a workable sub. Just understand, sand won't do much.

[member="Darth Ferus"]

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Well. That explains a lot actually.

The sand thing was something the resident Viking expert at work (It's a cook lone) said. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong (Remember the short spear thing? Another thing he told me x3).

But yeah. I'm looking to make a unique alloy/metal for Iridonian weapons/armor (If/when they expand to make armor), and any help would be appreciated.

[member="Darth Ferus"] - When the company is approved, come find me after you've had a few subs and i'll have some links on metallurgy and iron/steel smelting for you, and they should be more than enough to help you figure out how to do you sub, sound good?

Basically? You want to add specific minerals or elements to the steel in trace amounts to make it slightly more durable, sharper, flexible (yup, there is a katana company that adds magnesium and I believe silica, their katanas can bend 60-90 degrees and return true without a mark). But there is always a trade off... IF your metal is more durable than durasteel, there will need to be a shortcoming that makes it slightly 'less' than it, as alloying metals is not a straight linear exchange.

Get the company approved fully (as I suspect it will be) and best of luck, i'm happy to answer questions on the subject of metallurgy for anyone, actually. It's a passion and long time hobby of mine.

[member="Darth Ferus"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom