Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about an Idea I had

I was thinking about submitting a Tank Upgrade Kit to the factory soon, and was wondering about whether to submit it as a unit (IE the RL TUSK) or submit it separately as its constituent parts. Since each type of armor and kit is meant to increase the effectiveness of the vehicle its on, and most tanks do use Reactive and Slat Armor in addition to many other types of defenses, would it be best to submit together.

The Pros for submitting it Together are that each piece is clearly defined as being good against one or two types of attacks and has a weakness, not necessarily covered up by another piece and the Judge and anyone who encounters it later can clearly see its weaknesses as a whole, rather than trying to piece together its weaknesses across numerous submissions.

Lastly, as all the pieces either have a Real World Equivalent or a Cannon Equivalent, is it even necessary to combine them. I know Judges have asked for submissions for Real World Tech and I know I have never seen Slat Armor on a Star Wars Vehicle.

Thank You for your time.

1 at the moment, but I am finishing up the last thread to advance to tier 2.

Regardless of whether my company has the tier to create the tech, I would like to know the logistics of creating it, as you see best applied.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question. [member="Silara Kuhn"]

Draco Vereen said:
1 at the moment, but I am finishing up the last thread to advance to tier 2.
[member="Silara Kuhn"]
I would suggest arriving to tier 3 before making a DIY kit for anything of such a nature, they cost more money to produce than the profits they provide unless you're capable of "eating" the costs. Various companies of the first and second tier have tried to create DIY blaster kits, DIY droid kits, and so on, and were unable to be passed through the factory on the concept of the cost to produce such exceeding the amount of funds a tier 2 company are capable of forking over for such a project.

Thank you. I guess I'll hold off and put a whole lot of work into it over the next month or so and call it a Sizable Project. I had planned on doing 30+ posts of Dev to it anyway, so adding some more and taking my time on it won't be a bad Idea. Thank You for helping me [member="Silara Kuhn"]

[member="Draco Vereen"]

It's a good idea though. I've seen [member="Popo"] do a lot of similar projects.

Once you get to a high enough Tier, I'd suggest doing tech submissions for each of the upgrades you wish to create and then creating a Unit submission that includes all of your submissions and which tanks they go onto.

Also, I've seen you pop up with a lot of good ideas but keep getting told the same thing... "Get to a higher Tier."

Don't let that stand in the way of doing these neat little projects you keep coming up with. I'd suggest working on development threads ahead of time that will help you get the technology and tier advancement submissions you'll eventually be needing... and just hold off on the actual Factory side of things until you're ready. Remember that the Factory is optional. There is no reason for you to not enjoy yourself and create the fun and unique toys you desire for your character. So long as you are not using them against another character in a roleplay (without PM'ing them and asking first), which would risk a report, you can really do about anything you want and never have to touch the Factory.

On the other side of things, you'd be surprised how hard it can be to get a decent contract set up. You'd also be surprised by what can qualify as a suitable development thread for a technology submission. They can be a lot more fun and interesting than just sitting in an armory tinkering with plates of metal and wire. Heck, I once used a Deadspace inspired "clear the derelict ship of zombies" thread as development for a starship based heavily on the planet-cracking space ships from Deadspace. It was a fun thread, though I had a lot of difficulty getting other writers to post in it. =/

Anyway... I guess I'm just trying to tell you to not let the Factory Judges get you down. I've done it enough to have a fairly strong grasp of how it's done, and have had to tell more than one Factory or Codex Judge that they are wrong. In this case? I think that [member="Silara Kuhn"] is wrong. There is a lot of money to be made in after-market add-ons for small companies. At tier one, you probably don't have the resources to build and sell an entirely new tank. What you CAN do is make a better tracking computer or create a chaff grenade launching system that can be easily bought and used to upgrade someone else's tank. (Edit) Heck, when I started Mandal Hypernautics on this board, that was all the company had the resources to do before Larraq got a hold of it. It proved to be a major plot point for the character and company as he fought to compete with MandalMotors and create viable alternative designs instead of simply selling parts to the larger company.

My evidence? Look at the history of the Jeep. It was designed during a major war by a struggling company. The Company designed it to fill a contract with the government. The U.S. Government ended up loving the design, but recognized that the company that created the design was incapable of producing the vehicle in large enough quantities to supply the military.

So? The Government bought the design, awarded a great deal of money to the small company, but then gave the actual production contract to other companies and instead only gave the designing company a small contract to build trailers for their Jeeps to use to haul supplies and Artillery around Nazi Germany.

Using the above as an example, you could easily use an Invasion or Skirmish thread where you participate as the initial justification, then do a Solo Dev Thread where you design a product, then do a contract thread where you try to sell said project to the Republic. That's three threads, an easily track-able story arc, and plenty of justification to create a respectable submission, fill a contract requirement, and write the whole thing off as a "project of sizable proportions" to get yourself a Tier advancement.

That being said, I've also seen some pretty horrible development threads get waved through. I'm talking... 20+ posts of flirting and only 5 posts of actual design or story getting used as "30+ posts of development". So you'll definitely get some brownie points for creating a story arc that makes sense to the creation of the actual product.

Captain Larraq said:
Don't let that stand in the way of doing these neat little projects you keep coming up with. I'd suggest working on development threads ahead of time that will help you get the technology and tier advancement submissions you'll eventually be needing... and just hold off on the actual Factory side of things until you're ready.
Surprisingly, I have a word document with 100+ posts for different development threads written. One for Phrik is sitting at 28 Posts and I am waiting to come up with something to use it for and to be high enough tier to effectively use it. I love the factory. Its quite arguably my favorite part of this Forum, and what attracted me to the forum in the first place.

After what everyone has said, I am going to do development threads for each piece in the near future (And expand them as necessary) to get what I want how I want it. I have seen great stuff get approved through with long enough dev threads, and that's what I like. I can write a small novel if that's what it takes. And telling me not right now is fine, I can absolutely see that it would take a larger company to handle what I am suggesting, it just means everything will have nice dev threads that I put a lot of thought, research, and work into.

I have seen people complain that they don't like doing dev threads, but I LOVE doing them, heck my first Factory Post was 32 posts over two days, but I got something really nice out of it.

Captain Larraq said:
My evidence? Look at the history of the Jeep. It was designed during a major war by a struggling company. The Company designed it to fill a contract with the government. The U.S. Government ended up loving the design, but recognized that the company that created the design was incapable of producing the vehicle in large enough quantities to supply the military.

So? The Government bought the design, awarded a great deal of money to the small company, but then gave the actual production contract to other companies and instead only gave the designing company a small contract to build trailers for their Jeeps to use to haul supplies and Artillery around Nazi Germany.
A great Idea, but not one I plan on using. I'll wait and do it as I please the way I want to, how I want to, with the Company I want to. Waiting just gives me time for more Dev Threads.

Captain Larraq said:
Anyway... I guess I'm just trying to tell you to not let the Factory Judges get you down. I've done it enough to have a fairly strong grasp of how it's done, and have had to tell more than one Factory or Codex Judge that they are wrong. In this case? I think that [member="Silara Kuhn"] is wrong. There is a lot of money to be made in after-market add-ons for small companies. At tier one, you probably don't have the resources to build and sell an entirely new tank. What you CAN do is make a better tracking computer or create a chaff grenade launching system that can be easily bought and used to upgrade someone else's tank. (Edit) Heck, when I started Mandal Hypernautics on this board, that was all the company had the resources to do before Larraq got a hold of it. It proved to be a major plot point for the character and company as he fought to compete with MandalMotors and create viable alternative designs instead of simply selling parts to the larger company.
Oh, [member="Silara Kuhn"] didn't get me down, she was quite helpful and allowed me to rethink my plan of attack as it were, as yes a completely new tank (Inspired by Adrams/T-90) was the end goal, and still is, its just now putting the whole thing together will be later down the line. No need to sprint to the finish line as then I don't have anywhere to go. This is my first real Character. I made one back in september and didn't really understand how things worked so I got bummed and went back to lurking. Now I know how the system works and I am hooked.

Thank you both for your comments and help.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Draco Vereen"]
Examples of DIY kits and upgrade kits I've done that might help you out in one way or another:

TTAA-C/Tenloss Tank Armor Applique-Ceramic
TTAA-C-FK/Tenloss Tank Armor Applique - Ceramic - Field Kit
Tenloss BLR-C/S-M1/Tenloss Boosted Long-Range - Comms/Sensors - Model 1
Creespa-Class Concussion Missile Warhead
S.T.U.P. - Starfighter Upgrade Package
B.U.P. - Bomber Upgrade Package
A.S.U.P. - Advanced Starfighter Upgrade Package
RST-B1 Weapon System

Yeah, a T1 company might not be able to make a whole bunch, or in large quantities, but small things? Sure. Heck, you could even just manufacture vehicle parts to upgrade existing vehicles on the board (though you'd need those writers' permission usually). Not everything is manufactured by the same company 9 times out of 10, even in the real world. Want an example? Know how the US has those super snazzy Abrams tanks we love to use? The guns are, if I remember correctly, made by a German company called Rheinmetall that specializes in military technology. Apparently, we loved the Flak 88 (Rheinmetall made it) so much, we bought the modern one to put on our tanks.

If you ever have any questions on... well, anything factory related, hit up [member="Captain Larraq"] or myself. We're always happy to help out.

Thank you [member="Popo"] and to be completely honest, I drew a lot of inspiration for wanting to work on tanks from some of your submissions. I really liked them, I just felt like I could do something to put my own twist on them much like I did with my pistols and this slugthrower. You know, something to make them different and mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom