Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Pursuit-class Defensive Missile System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missile_Turret_Maya_Version.jpg

Intent: To create a ground and ship based point defense missile system
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: First Order
Model: Pursuit-class
Affiliation: First Order
Modularity: Ammunition only
Production: mass
Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, and other weapon construction components
Classification: Point defense missile system
Size: Stationary/Ship mounted
Length: 6m (weapon from front to back)
Weight: 10 tonnes
Ammunition Type: Missiles
Ammunition Capacity: 24
Effective Range: standard short, medium, and long point defense ranges
Rate of Fire:
  • One shot of 24 missiles
  • Two shots of 12 missiles
  • Four shots of 6 missiles
  • Reload time of 30 seconds once all 24 missiles are launched
Special Features:
  • Modular ammunition
  • Capable of engaging at all point defense ranges
  • Capable of multiple strengths of salvos
  • Equivalent to a battery of standard point defense
  • Fast tracking
Ammunition Types:
  • Swarm (Cluster ammunition - effective against light starfighters/missiles/massed numbers. Ineffective against heavier targets)
  • Standard (Regular ammunition - effective against most standard starfighters/missiles. Ineffective against heavier/fast moving targets)
  • Heavy* (Larger payload ammunition - effective against heavy starfighters/gunships/missiles. Ineffective against standard/light/fast moving targets)
  • Homing (Self tracking ammunition - effective against high speed, light targets. Ineffective against all else)
Description:

While standard point defense has it's place on the battlefield, the First Order knows that with standard equipment come standard results. Because of this mentality, First Order scientists and engineers put their minds to the task of making better equipment and better technology. The newest point defense weapon, the Pursuit-class defensive missile system, is one of the many fruits of their labor.

The Pursuit system is a variant of point defense weaponry designed to engage any and all threats at all standard defensive ranges. The weapon system features a full salvo of twenty four missiles capable of being launched in a single wave of explosives or staggered into two volleys of twelve or four volleys of six. This allows the defensive system to control ammunition expenditure and determine attack to threat ratios. In addition, the weapon system is mounted on high rotation platforms, aiding in faster target acquisition.

The weapon system features a small number of modular ammunition types useful for various roles in combat. Swarm ammunition allows the weapon to engage light targets and massed numbers effectively while standard ammunition is useful for all around general purpose. Heavy ammunition is more useful against heavier targets such as dropships and gunships while homing warheads are designed to be utilized against high speed targets such as interceptors or high velocity warheads. The system can be reloaded in twenty seconds and swapping between ammo types will require a reload of the entire salvo. In addition, ammunition cannot be mixed and only one type may be loaded at a time.

The weapon is designed to replace traditional defense weapon batteries and because of this the system is deemed to be equivalent to any standard defensive weapon battery at any range. The weapon can be mounted as a stand alone AA emplacement in a defensive installation or as a defensive weapon aboard ship. Engineers are encouraged to take care in defending the Pursuit-class system as each system lost is that much firepower removed in a combat situation.

*OOC Note: Heavy does not denote a heavy modifier, simply a shaped charge or something similar to be more effective against heavier sub-capital spacecraft and less effective against lighter starfighters and such. Just a name, folks. These are not the gamebreakers you're looking for. Move along. Move along.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Evangeline Ovmar"]

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Manufacturer: First Order
Please link the factions page or a company marketplace page

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Ammunition Type: Missiles
What type of missiles? are these standard starfighter scale missiles?

Evangeline Ovmar said:
The range needs to be set to one standard dependant on the scale of missile. IF this is firing a different missile that missile will also need a tech submission. IF this is a standard Starfighter scale missile the range needs to be around 3km.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Capable of engaging at all point defense ranges
This is fine in description but a set max range needs to be listed

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Capable of multiple strengths of salvos
This also needs to have a set type dependant on the missile type. IF this is a standard starfighter scale missile a max limit must be explained
you can fire variable types of missiles but only those of the same general size. Heavy missiles can not be fired from a standard missile slauncher and vice versa.

A heavy missile, which we generally consider to be something like an Assault Missile or HEavy Torpedo are much large. 10 to 15 meters themselves while starfighter scale or standard, sometimes refereed to as light, warhead launchers fire missiles and torps generally around .5 to 2 meters.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Fast tracking
Fast tracking is reserved for single weapon mounts. As this can fire 24 at once it cannot be considered as a fast tracking mount.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Ammunition Types: Swarm (Cluster ammunition - effective against light starfighters/missiles/massed numbers. Ineffective against heavier targets) Standard (Regular ammunition - effective against most standard starfighters/missiles. Ineffective against heavier/fast moving targets) Heavy (Larger payload ammunition - effective against heavy starfighters/gunships/missiles. Ineffective against standard/light/fast moving targets) Homing (Self tracking ammunition - effective against high speed, light targets. Ineffective against all else)
While this is ok the heavy part has to be removed as a heavy warhead must be fired from a heavy warhead launcher.

I suggest laying out a magazine that can fire various types of missiles. Look here how I set up this launcher. by giving this a variable missile mag you can preform a variety of fire operation. Generally if a launcher fires a certain type of warhead that warhead needs to be submitted also unless it only fires that type.

so
* link the first orders faction page since it is the manufacturer or find a manufacturing company to host it and link it.
* list what scale of missile this launches. Is it standard starfighter scale?
* Set a max range for the missiles. IF this fires standard starfighter scale missiles set this to a max of 3km IF this is something else let me know and we can work from there.
* remove "Capable of multiple strengths of salvos"
* remove "Heavy (Larger payload ammunition - effective against heavy starfighters/gunships/missiles. Ineffective against standard/light/fast moving targets)"
* Remove "Fast tracking"

IF you would like to lay out types of missiles this can fire feel free to do so.

If you are wanting something more specific with this let me know and we can find a way to work it all out. Feel free to ask anything you need. :)

[member="Reshmar"]
On my phone at the moment, so I'll have to make edits later tonight, but I can clarify or rectify a bit.

1. Will do linking when I get home.

2. It's a point defense weapon system which means its designed to act as point defense. Point defense means anti starfighter and anti missile, so these are not ship to ship missiles, they're made to engage sub-capital vessels.

3. Gonna have to point out I'm not required to give numbers as ranges, per the technology template:

Effective Range: (Personal, Battlefield, Starfighter, Capital Ship. Feel no need to use numbers. 'Equivalent to a laser cannon' or 'equivalent to a standard blaster rifle' is acceptable. The more detail, the better. Also, remember this is effective range. A mass driver in space may have an infinite range, but it can only effectively hit targets at normal ship combat ranges.)
Point defense ranges mean AA ranges. Someone potshots someone with this across 2-3k kilometers, we have an issue. As of now, I personally see no issue with the ranges ive listed per the template the factory requires submitter to use.

4. I think you're mixing up heavy modifiers and heavy payloads. If you'd like, I can clarify this in the sub, but its not a "heavy modifier" for the weapon. Just the standard with more explosives in the warhead or maybe a shaped charge. It's the difference between a tank firing a high explosive and an AP round, not a difference between a shoulder launch missile and a cruise missile.

5. Fast tracking is fluff so I don't have to go into detail on why and how exactly it works as a point defense and, considering its a point defense weapon, it technically comes standard with fast tracking if you think on it. Who has use of a flak cannon that tracks like a turbolaser?

I'll make a few edits when I get home tonight.

ADM. Reshmar

Evangeline Ovmar said:
2. It's a point defense weapon system which means its designed to act as point defense. Point defense means anti starfighter and anti missile, so these are not ship to ship missiles, they're made to engage sub-capital vessels.
I understand this I am just saying it needs to be equivalent to some sort of warhead or it needs a submission for the various types of warheads it can fire. It it was one warhead specific to this launcher that would be fine but as this fired more than one type and power warhead Some sort of canon referance ot a approved submission is needed.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
. Gonna have to point out I'm not required to give numbers as ranges, per the technology template:
This is fine make it equivalent to starfighter missile range. No number is needed.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Point defense ranges mean AA ranges. Someone potshots someone with this across 2-3k kilometers, we have an issue. As of now, I personally see no issue with the ranges ive listed per the template the factory requires submitter to use.
This is fine as long as it is listed clearly that this is a point defense range. These are generally very short from 100 to 500 meters The goal is not to limit the weapon but also to keep it on par with other weapons of its class. No number is needed.
Evangeline Ovmar said:
. I think you're mixing up heavy modifiers and heavy payloads. If you'd like, I can clarify this in the sub, but its not a "heavy modifier" for the weapon. Just the standard with more explosives in the warhead or maybe a shaped charge. It's the difference between a tank firing a high explosive and an AP round, not a difference between a shoulder launch missile and a cruise missile.
Like i said if this was a specific type of warhead we could discus it. But simple listing it as heavy will not work. IF it is a variant thats fine but more then a Heavy label needs to be added. What weakness does this have for the extra power? IF it is the same size missile it would have to have some give to get more explosives in it.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
5. Fast tracking is fluff so I don't have to go into detail on why and how exactly it works as a point defense and, considering its a point defense weapon, it technically comes standard with fast tracking if you think on it. Who has use of a flak cannon that tracks like a turbolaser?

It has recently come up and in conversation it was plainly agreed that fast track was a single weapon mount only.

how about this.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Just list this as point defense range

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Reload time of 20 seconds once all 24 missiles are launched
make this every 60 seconds firing 72 missiles a minute is just too much the mount would have to traverse into position, wait for the autoloader to load it then traverse back into firing position. this all in 20 seconds is too fast.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Capable of engaging at all point defense ranges
point defense is just one range. This is star wars its basiclly short medium and long.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Capable of multiple strengths of salvos
this is fine but it needs more detail as to what type of warheads and what the swap out is for heavier payloads.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Fast tracking

This needs removed because we are sticking to the single weapon mount only for this.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Swarm (Cluster ammunition - effective against light starfighters/missiles/massed numbers. Ineffective against heavier targets) Standard (Regular ammunition - effective against most standard starfighters/missiles. Ineffective against heavier/fast moving targets) Heavy (Larger payload ammunition - effective against heavy starfighters/gunships/missiles. Ineffective against standard/light/fast moving targets) Homing (Self tracking ammunition - effective against high speed, light targets. Ineffective against all else)
The first would technically be a cluster missile, the second one a concussion missile, the heavy has no canon equivalent and the last would be an advanced concussion missile. These are fine but the heavier payload missile needs some sort of canon reference and a weakness over the normal payload missiles.

Beyond those canon references, if these missiles preform other than listed in the examples wiki, they will need their own tech submission.

[member="Reshmar"]
I'd rather not go and individually submit each warhead separately, but if you really want me to make this more powerful that way, I can. I'd rather keep it vanilla, however, to prevent abuse. It's just standard AA missiles/surface to air missiles/point defense missiles. I'm not sure how anyone can confuse them for ship to ship missiles since the name itself states Defensive Missiles System and they only give Defensive gun count numbers and equivalencies, not capital gun numbers.

It... Does say point defense ranges. It says short, med, and long point defense ranges. When I was FJ, Flak cannons were generally considered long range point defense, quad lasers were med range PD, and point defense lasers were short range PD. Just how it was back in the day, just kind of how I tier them and listed the ranges to specify since most of the old school fleeters on the board use that logic as well.

I can go alter the heavy listing, sure. Still call it heavy, specify its not a heavy mod but a bigger payload or some such. As for weaknesses, it does say its only effective against large sub-capital ships like dropships or gunships and ineffective against regular starfighters, but I can go make that idiot proof if you'd like.

Fast tracking was a conversation that came up when I was a FJ, too. In fact, if I remember correctly, the current listing of the 2.0 guide for fast tracked weapons was my idea to keep it single barrel weapons. PD is generally fast tracked to explain why it can target small stuff. I can reword it to not say "fast tracked" but what it does won't change because its... Well, PD and PD is supposed to track fast moving objects.

Everything else is basic stuff we've gone over or that I just addressed. If there's any confusion on any other part of the sub, I'm happy to answer questions and clarify.

ADM. Reshmar

Ok we can make this easy.

My only concern is misuse of the vague descriptions. I understand the heavier payload but it translates poorly to star wars. Someone might see heavy and thing it is a heavy warhead. Not that I feel you will use it as such or that that is its intent. As for how people can use it for ship to ship well.... there are people who may well attempt that.

How about this.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Classification: missile system
change this to "point defense missile system"

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Reload time of 20 seconds once all 24 missiles are launched
Change this because I still feel 72 missiles a minute is too much

Evangeline Ovmar said:
Equivalent effectiveness to a battery of standard point defense
CHange this to " Equivalent to a battery of standard point defense" just so there is no confusion as to how to gauge this when putting it on something

We will let the ammo variant pass and just watch them in case of abuse. and let the fast tracking go as is. The range issue is something which the factory needs to discuss but for this submission we will go with your assumptions on the multiple range. It really is fluff anyway and had very little to do in Sim.

[member="Reshmar"]
Cool on all points, though the reload time seems a bit slowish. I was going by 2 seconds per row of missiles per side on the image. How about I bump it up to 3 seconds per row per side which gives it a total of 30 seconds reload time. That way you're only looking at 48 missiles per second which if you look at the rate of fire, that's only four starfighters per full volley targeted with standard ammo, so 8 starfighters a minute per volley targeted with standard ammo (since you can break it up down to six missiles a starfighter minimum). Still a good, solid rate of fire, but its not spamming waves of missiles at things.

ADM. Reshmar

That is fine just watch how you use it. It is a bit powerful for a Point defense. Targeting that many fighters at once with one system could be an issue if misused. Again we will have to watch it and make sure it is not abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom