Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Thread Clarity

Vostok Grauv

V
So I'm not normally one to worry too much about how my writing comes across, but I figured I'd throw myself to the wolves for some constructive criticism; harshness and personal gripes are welcome so long as they have a point.

I feel like this is almost necessary, since I'd like to improve on what I do here and as a writer in general.

Well, I'll offer my two cents! I have few posts here, but I'm long time writer. I've read through your last three posts, so I'll simply focus on those.

What I like:

I feel that your writing is very descriptive, and in your latest post. I especially liked:

" Distant screams crept closer through the inky black of the filthy smoke, and the operative had nothing but his wits and close-quarters defense. He would have to find a way through, and keep detection to a minimum until he could reacquire an ideal means of offense. Sweat dripped down his face and chin, his dry tongue baying for the blood of those that dared to believe they might be victorious. "

Maybe I'd remove the word filthy, but besides that, I like it. You aren't just describing the environment but also your character's feelings, building tension and interest along the way.

I like how your character progressively finds himself in more danger and suffers actual damage, as well as not knowing about the explosion behind him until right before. Enough time to build a reader's tension.

What I think could be improved:

I think some interaction with either an NPC or PC might benefit your posts to help break up the environmental descriptions, character descriptions, and character thoughts. If your character is alone, then what is his specific goal within the battle? Why has he been sent in alone? There should be a really good reason, because soldiers are always more effective as a team (including spec ops). Even snipers have a spotter. It seems like your character started out with nearby allies, so why leave?

Also, maybe your character has "seen it all" and can't be phased by anything, not even a teenager trying to ambush and savagley murder him with a knife. If that is what who you want your character to be, that is fine. Just remember that the best stories are created not by the best, strongest, or coldest characters, but by characters with extreme depth and flaw.

These are ALL my opinions though. Everyone has their own unique writing style and voice. Don't change anything you don't want to. I'm sure there are things in my post you'd change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom