Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply Port in the Storm (Arda)

Always helped that they could find what the beasts were set off by. Brooke had dealt with so many species on Pamarthe and Kattada that it was a bit common place for her to deal with beasts in her own way. She hadn’t even reached too hard into the Force, but was ready to, should the beast strike. Brooke was hoping that wasn’t going to be the case.

Feeling that the partner was holstering his weapon, even Brooke was able to sigh a bit of relief. It made it easier if she wasn’t worried about other beings causing a problem to the wild life. But what she was going to do was allow her new friend here to gather some data. She wasn’t about to ask for the Core to move onto Arda, the Sanctum would prevent that, but she wasn’t above sharing what she found.

A cat like this, that could fly? Had so many interesting facets that she was curious as well. As she was doing this defense, she couldn’t scan it down. But she could trade information with Crasdon. Maybe a few things from Kattada, that was Core-ward, and he was of the Alliance.

She stepped back as she saw Crasdon moving. It was clear that she had a bit of control, but even Brooke knew that she wasn’t going to keep this going.

“When we get past, we will need to move fast. There is another above us on the cliff. And I dont want to get eaten…” Or expose herself as a Witch.

Crasdon Kaine Crasdon Kaine

"Not by a flying cat, at any rate," Crasdon said without thinking.

He shifted his scanner's perspective when she mentioned another cat on a cliff above. Well, great. "Yup, I see it..."

Then he glanced up the way they'd been travelling.

"There's another trail that doesn't switchback up the mountain. Should let us avoid the cats. But it's a thin ledge. We'll have to be careful."

He glanced at his scanner screen.

"I've got a half-million exanodes of data on the cat, the nest, the kittens, and the cave above. I'm ready to move when you are."

He didn't want to just turn his back on her and head off. He'd feel terrible if the cat changed its mind and decided to take a chunk out of her. But he did shuffle a little further, making room for her to approach the narrow ledge... if she was up for it.

Brooke Waters Brooke Waters

Were there good things to be eaten by? The Witch knew a few things out there in the galaxy that could and one day maybe would end her, should old age not find her first, but of those? Being eaten was not high on the list. Brooke couldn’t help but give a half-laugh and nod. When he pointed out that he had eyes on the other beast, she nodded.

This would definitely be a time to use some magick, she felt. If she couldn’t get him and her away from these two.

“Lets take that.” She said abruptly, letting him take the lead, a thin ledge would be fine. As long as they got to the top. They’d work on finding a way down once they got there, after she was able to get a good spot for a Clan Home, and he could contact the station for repair parts. There was a lot to be said for adventures like this.

As he informed her of the data had collected, she couldn’t help but nod. “Good. Move, now.” She said and gave a gentle shrug of suggestion to the beasts, something that would cause them to be a bit stunned and give them the chance to slip past and out of the way. As she did, the blonde moved with purpose in the direction Crasdon had pointed out.

And boy was it narrow.

fbGV1S5.png

Crasdon didn't need to be told twice.

He quickly shuffled along the ledge, his back to the mountainside. The view was amazing. The drop could be deadly.

The explorer made a promise to himself that if he survived this, he'd get himself some Bounding Boots. Indeed, he shouldn't have gone this far in his career without a pair. They could arrest a fall, jump great distances, or adhere to surfaces. It was the first and last abilities he craved at the moment.

As he moved along the ledge, he left one arm reaching out towards his companion. If she felt herself going over, he wanted her to have something to hold on to.

"The view is killer from up here," he commented as they moved along, "but hopefully not literally."

Then, trying to distract himself from the possibility of a deadly drop, he asked, "How'd you get to be so good with animals? Did your family own a farm? Or a zoo?"

He paused, and added, "And I hate to admit this, but my brain misplaced your name. If you ever gave it?"

She moved, there were a few things she could do should it have gone the wrong way. But the first thing was give her powers a chance to work their way through the flying cat. And hopefully then she would be keeping herself a secret for Crasdon. Who knew if the Core types reported to the Alliance any time they saw a Forcer on a fringe world.

Hopefully not.

As she got to the ledge, she kept her body close to the wall. A bit of her hand was moving forward. Brooke was used to relying on her own wits and abilities, or the ones that she knew and kept around her. This one was a wildcard. And the jury was still out.

“It is more than I expected it to be!”
The blonde said as she looked out beyond the cliff. As they kept moving, she was enjoying the view. “Me? No, not a farm… nor a zoo. Just been traveling and taking odd jobs and had one with an animal husbandry group.” A lie? Yes, but not too inappropriate of one.

“Name’s Brooke!”
She smiled. “Out of Pamarthe.”

"Brooke," Crasdon repeated as they edged along, "that's good for you. You seem to go with the flow."

In time, the thin ledge widened, and they were able to get to a proper path up the mountain again. One that avoided the dangerous cave where flying cats would surely descend upon them once more to deadly effect.

"I guess animal husbandry is a useful talent. Maybe once you understand animal romance, everything else is easy." He chuckled, "I know I've found in that way with human romance. We must be the most bewildering of animals."

Once they got to a place with some room, Crasdon held up a hand and found a seat on a convenient boulder. "I need just a minute to catch my breath. I see why some guys put grav-belts on their suits. I usually use a jump-speeder to get to distant places. Walking up the side of a mountain is... harder."

He felt a bit silly, to be honest. Wearing a full space suit while she meandered along in clothing and skin. But old habits died hard... unlike explorers who casually dismissed safety protocols. He still remembered Ral Hitts, his eyes bulging as an atmospheric eel slithered up his nose. That was an image that burned forever.

"I really appreciate you taking me up this rock," he said. "A guide is a rare and precious thing in my business. And I think I might be cat food if you hadn't been here."

Giving him a smile, she blushed. She was not always trying to be awkward but she had been a bit away from the tethers of society for a number of years now. With his response, Brooke could just shrug and offer a small laugh. “Well, its easier than going against it. And I don’t think I caught your name? Or its because of the cats..” She waved behind them.

“Its not a bad talent.” She took a deep breath and relaxed as they got to a part in the path that gave her some room to walk. Her big brown eyes rolled in her head as he joked. “I mean, I am not one who knows too much about romance, either way. But yeah, humanoids are a bit more difficult.” Her Blubreen hybrid blood let it so that her skin had a bit of a shine, like scales, to it, across the pale of her skin, in the right water and sun.

As he took a break, Brooke was realizing she still was pulling on the Force, the tether to everything around her and it caused her a bit of an extra breath and keeping herself in a good fitness level, or apparently a good level. She did walk a lot. “I tend to just walk. Its fun, you get to see the world, and understand the people.

“Oh, I’m by no means a guide, first time here. Just, as you said, going with the flow!”

"Crasdon," he told her, rising to stand once more and brushing any sand or debris off of his suit as though he was planning to attend a dinner party instead of a mountain hike. "Crasdon Kaine. Pleased to meet you again, Brooke."

He winked and held out his gloved hand.

"I do my share of walking on alien worlds, but I've never gone anywhere with the easy flow of confidence you manage. Again, I'm grateful."

Then he turned to look up towards the mountain's peak. "Only a few hours left till nightfall. Then it won't be safe to climb anymore. Not in the dark."

He began walking again, "I've got some ration bars I'd be happy to share when you get hungry. But if you prefer, I could scan for some edible plants just before sundown. Do a little hunter-gathering, without the hunting?"

Crasdon Kaine, she’d have to remember that. People coming out to a world that she was looking at for the Clan? That’d be for her to watch, especially if they were of the Core mindset where everyone needed to fall in line. She’d been part of a government like that before. Didn’t fancy it again. “A pleasure!” Brooke reached out her hand for him and nodded.

“I just know what i’ma after, and there are so many worlds I just pass on by. Not a fan of desert worlds.”
For the obvious to her, the half-blubreen. “And its easier to go places where you like. Doesn’t the Alliance let you specialize in the worlds you explore for them?”

“You dont think we’ll make it down?”
She looked around. On her belt she did have a few glow rods, and well, she could always use the Force, had she been alone.

"Well, I'm a contractor," Crasdon said, "so I could theoretically go wherever I want.

But for the sake of practicality, I go where they need someone, and can't get someone better. Not much time in that for my own preferences. Gotta keep the fuel tank filled.

I spend a lot of my time scouting hyperspace routes. With the wars going on, alternate routes that avoid traditional trade lanes are in demand. Not to mention alternate avenues for attacking forces to use in entering a system.

But sometimes I find myself scouting a system for resources on a small mining contract. A lot of boring, airless planetoids on those gigs.

I've also found myself checking out a forest moon for Kolto alternatives in the local plant life. I did that for a small pharmaceutical company that wanted a foothold on the market.

Once I took animal samples from a swamp world for a University study of Hexapods.

The big exploration outfits snag the best gigs. I have to settle for the small contracts that aren't worth anyone else's time, or jobs where all hands are welcome because they're so big that even a half-dozen exploration frigates can't get it all done.

I get about 75% of my jobs from Outbound Flight and fill the rest in from assorted small-time bidders."

When she asked whether he didn't think they could make it down in the dark, he chuckled.

"Well, I'm sure you can climb down in the dark. Or blindfolded! You're a special girl, Brooke. Competent as hell.

Me? I like plenty of light if I can get it, or I'll find myself tumbling down the mountain.

I figure when we get to the top, I'll send my message and tuck in for the night.

Then I'll climb down in the morning light."

A contractor, huh? She could work with that. Meant they were here for profit and not some big mission. Sure, she was always here for the mission on her jobs, it was her Witch Clan after all. Her tribe, in better words. It was her source of purpose and belonging. But she’d lived a life before this, where she was a bounty hunter, and a damned good one, given the right group. But that was a bit more hollow for her.

Just her specific set of abilities skills helped.

“I get that. A good working relationship is important. Keeps a ship running and so you’re not just eating the same slop day in and out.”
She laughed and nodded, remembering a time where she was eating only dehydrated nerf for about three months straight. Times were slim then.

“Yeah, I am more a planetary prospector, I suppose. I work along side another group, some Jedi and Jedi-Adjacent explorers. Uniting worlds through hyperspace routes, but I don’t have the skill to be a trailblazer, not one of any use. And I think I’d feel a bit of pain to bring a war force through something I created.
” She wasn’t always that way, though. And she had a dark past that the Force helped her forge.

“Resource gathering is important, know a few people who do that, find it a bit boring but also, they don’t mind being away from, well, everyone…”

“And I’ll stay up here too, dont need you to go down all by your lonesome. And its not ideal to be traveling after dark.”

Crasdon smiled amiably at her.

"I will be very grateful for the company.

Normally I have a droid to talk to, but with the power being out, not even that much.

And, uh, you're a lot kinder on the eyes than a droid, if you don't mind me saying so."

He looked up at the remaining portion of the mountain.

Just a bit longer to the top, and then they could catch the sunset together. He tried to avoid the thought that such a setting would be awfully romantic...

The rest of the climb wasn't too challenging, and Crasdon didn't have to worry much about the air getting thinner. Not with his suit on. He could trudge on for days before the suit's CO2 scrubbers would start putting out stale air.

Near the apex, there was a good wide flat spot where they could make camp. No other flying cats seemed poised to eat them. Things were working out.

He set up his communications unit and transmitted, grinning when he got a connection. Negotiating for the part he needed didn't take long, and while the delivery was expensive, it wouldn't break the bank.

All in all, a positive outcome.

Once that was done, he spent some time clearing out uncomfortable rocks and twigs from the campsite, and grabbing some fig-like fruits from a bush that his scanners told him weren't poisonous. Based on the sucrose readings, they'd be pleasantly sweet.
The 'figs' were plentiful up this way. Maybe these bushes had a better tolerance for thin air than the animals did.

Soon enough, he had about two pounds of the 'figs' and brought them to the edge of the site, extending his sample-collection sack so that Brooke could grab some if she wanted.

He checked the air once more. It was indeed thinner here than on the ground. About five percent less Oxygen than normal. But if he wasn't exerting himself, that wouldn't be a problem.

Popping a 'fig' into his mouth as he sat on the edge, he chewed happily and watched the orange ball of the sun descend towards the azure horizon.

"I think sometimes things happen for a reason, Brooke. Maybe the universe wanted me to stop, set down, and remind myself what it's all for."

kTGOfHG.png

With Brooke, she was always trying to write some wrongs in her own story. Having worked for Bright Star Entertainment Group for a number of years as a say… talent scout, assistant, and enforcer-meets-bounty-hunter, she had a few too many wrongs in her book. Having found a nice task to perform for her Witch Clan was helping her remedy her past. Or at least come to terms with it. But being able to help another traveler? That was a good feeling.

Not that she suspected Crasdon would need the protection, but company never hurt.

As he spoke, She laughed and waved it off. Something she was used to, but she wasn’t trying to be conceited about it. “I mean, most people are. Sad thing is, we all go gray eventually.” As they kept making their way up, she was excited for the view from up here. A whole view of the island, maybe a place to bring others to set-up shop.

“Find what you need?” She asked as she felt the success, and the pain. Probably sourcing the part.

Having him here was useful, she didn’t need to clear the site, and he even found food. Relaxing as she saw the sunset over the island, she looked to him. “Considering leaving the Core companies and finding your treasure out here on the Rim?”

WQb3REP.png

Crasdon enjoyed the feel of the wind on his face as he sat, watching afternoon transform into evening.

He'd spent the day protected by his environmental suit, and hadn't been truly connected to the world around him. Now, the bubble window of his helmet was open, and he was breathing non-recycled air for the first time today.

A necessity as he munched on the found figs.

On the coastlines far below, lights began to glow. The many villagers who lived on the coast and on the islands of the bay began to illuminate their small homes and huts, creating glowing lights on the ground that reflected the twinkling lights in the night sky.

He nodded to Brooke, "They'll have the part delivered here by noon tomorrow. I just have to go down and get it. I figure to start at sunrise. Going down will be faster than going up, and at least now that we know what to expect."

Then he chuckled as she suggested a different way of life.

"The treasure on the Rim is the business of the Core companies, I'm afraid.

Exploration and Discovery will eventually put every corner and crevice of the galaxy within the reach of the major powers. When I see a place like this planet, it can be a little sad to think about.

But at least the Galactic Alliance isn't so bad. It would be different if the Sith or the Empire expanded out to places like this. They don't have environmental protection policies that are worth a damn.

They'd just dig into every planet, rip away what they want, enslave the people, or make them into citizen-servants. They they'd erect their ugly brutalist structures that loom over unhappy people."

He shook his head.

"I don't want the Galaxy to fall to those sorts. It's why I don't do work for them, despite the fact that they pay plenty for this kind of work. It would destroy the things I discover.

I don't want to find something beautiful just to see it die."

He looked at her for a long moment.

"I guess that means you need to be immortal."

The way the worlds worked in the galaxy, each had their own unique splendor, if you knew how to look for it. Brooke had her preference, worlds that had water, warmer the better, but still the worlds needed a place to call home, and that may just be a small village on the surface, maybe even two. She didn’t mind a quiet place.

Helped let her get to peace with her past.

“Thats how it has been, the Core looks to the Rim for our resources. Its not their fault, I suppose. Life started in the Core, and its only now that they understand what they’ve done to their worlds.”
She was listening to Crasdon and gave a nod. “The Alliance is better than the Sith, I’ll agree there. Have some friends who are Alliance supporters… I’ve seen what an Empire can do when they move into worlds. Its not good.”

She wasn’t trying to dictate to him, merely converse.

“Sometimes we do need the help of the Core, but its also nice to … go our own way? I think its why so many seek out the Rim they way they do.”
Herself included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom