Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Political Intrigue Lessons

The petite jedi master stood there.. she had enjoyed the beauty of the silver rest but there was something to it here.. THey had room for classes and much much more that they would be able to do. There was always a chance for combat classes or some force skill but there was a need... a jedi needed to be able to navigate talks with people... they could not just brandish their sabers and threaten others into doing what they wanted... or use the force to force them.... those actions were dangerous and a problem. She wanted to give the jedi a chance to work on their situational awareness and how to better handle themselves in diplomatic or meetings. From the simple conversations to observations and even the more... personal like food and drink. While she doubted many thought about it there was a good amount that went into a planned talks for the finer details. She wanted ot make sure this was a means to teach them if they came in here. "Hopefully we'll have some of them come and join us." She said it to the makie companion droid here that was working on many things for them. THem sharing their own stories of meetings and chance encounters that would benefit the class.

Metis was for once early. Over the years Metis had developed a reputation for always being late to various classes, rushing into training room headfirst after the jedi masters had already been teaching for some time. Ironically usually Metis's excuse for being late to classes was studying. It had been so common that the Jedi Masters had actually come to believe it, although that didn't seem to stop them from scolding her usually with some amusement.

Metis was determined to change that reputation so in preparation for todays lesson had set her alarm three times at ten minute intervals. Although the topic of todays lesson being one that both fascinated Metis and one that Metis needed to improve upon also helped.

Metis hoped to be a great Jedi diplomat someday and while she did her best to study as many cultures as possible everything from her native Naboo to Curoscant to Mandalorians. Metis could rattle off cultural aspects easily enough for standardised tests and quiz. Truthfully though that was part of the problem. Metis knw there was a great deal more to a culture and peoples then facts on a holopad.

Truthfully Metis was a little.. socially awkward. Despite or perhaps because of her Handmaiden training. Both of them. Metis could read bodylanguage like it was a book, Metis tried to be politic and diplomatic, but Metis could be overly formal to the point of coming off condescension.

Metis was hoping todays lessons could shed some light on such social interactions.

"Good Evening Master" Metis said bowing appropriately "I look forward to your wisdom in todays lesson"
Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei

Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

The jedi master had a look on her face as the girl came in and she bowed looking up at her. Offering a tight lipped grin though when she was looking over the seats and straightening up. "Welcome." She motioned to one of the seats and turned to look at where she would be able to stand and made sure she could be seen from the different angles. "Should be alright if tall people don't sit in the front hmmm." Sshe said it and looked at more of what they had to do. "I am Wu." She said it and offered a bow to the woman with while she adjusted her scarf with her robes. SHe was debating who else might show up here and tapped the makie droid as it moved around.

A break was always good and unlike some Tana had more or less all the time in the world, but he could only stay so long at home before mother got annoyed. Atrisia was fortunate to be deep in alliance space and wasn't going to be invaded anytime soon, so it made sense to come back to the rest once in a while. The only problem was what to do. Sparing while a constant pessary could be done with family to great extent and unlike his sister Tana wasn't the most potent when it came to the force, preferring more physical skills. Stealth, deception, acrobatics, and skills that could be trained and didn't rely on force. Fortunately, Wu seemed to be running one of her lessons, this time about political issues or something. That used deception, politicians were always lying so he should be a natural at it right?

Entering the room it would seem lessons hadn't started yet, Wu talking with another woman that seemed to be the first arrival. "It would seem I'm early for once as well, neat.... are you going to throw marshmallows at me, master Wu". He asked in a joking manner while wandering in.

Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei
Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

Metis resumed her posture as the Master a one master Wu introduced herself.

"It's an honour Master Wu" Metis acknowledged formally "I am Metis."

"I'm looking forward to today's instructions"

Whenever Metis was unsure of a situation she reverted back to formal politeness, although in this case it also happened to be the truth and not just a euphemism of polite or diplomatic disagreement. No one could do passive aggressive like royalty and being a Handmaiden trained in part to impersonate Royalty, a Handmaiden was the next best thing. Or atleast the closest thing in mannerism.

Metis attempted to amend herself. Metis tried to refrain from thinking of herself as better than anyone else, even if her social graces were instilled from a young age.

Metis turned to the next student to enter.

"Marshmellow's?"

Metis frowned in confusion. Metis often found other peoples casualness to social situations as… not rude exactly but certainly blunt.

"Apologies" Metis ventured "I don't believe we've been introduced. I am Metis"

Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi
Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei

Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi

She looked at the woman and nodded as the other seemed to be going more formal in her mannerisms. Then Tana entered the room and the jedi master smiled wider... Sukai's brother waas adorable and looked like like her... and the older brother to her padawan Akari was well important. "No well maybe but they are training aids to help you keep your composure." She said it and bowed though walking over to see Metis and Tana. "Now well we can use this as practice. The initial meeting and contact in situations is important. You can learn all about a person, you can hear about how they are but when you first meet them your reaction and your observations are going to be the most important. Now Tana tell me what Metis looked like when you entered and Metis you do the same."

Tana's gaze shifted towards the women as she greeted him. Indeed this was the first time the two had met which wasn't uncommon considering the constant waves of new recruits that joined the SJC and his own absence for a while."Greetings, I am Tanaski Ymui, but you can just refer to me as Tana". He stated, giving a respectful if but more casual bow when compared to Wu. Himself turning to said Master as she greeted him for the first time in a while. "Training aids are always strange with you master Mu".

Joining the class it seemed the lesson started right then an their with Yeoh asking his opinon on Metis from her greeting. "Hmmm, polite and respectful with a little of nervousness mixed in, can I mention her clothing, not that I don't like whatca wearing, dress for what ever suits you?". Seeing as she was new and certainly not new to his antics such a reaction probably made sense.... wait she was new and not used to his antics.... that could make for some fun.

Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

Metis frowned as she tried to assess the situation as the Master instructed.

"Well when Tanaski entered he greeted you and shared a private joke about Marshmellows to show familiarity and camaraderie."

"Which would suggest you know each other atleast well enough to have a shared experience and in joke, so at the very least acquaintances if not friends."

"Master Wu you also immediately referred to Tanaski as Tani, which he just confirmed is his preferred nomenclature rather than his full name once again suggesting familiarity between the two of you."

"Tanaski also seems to go out of his way to make jokes and create an informal atmosphere with jokes and light insults."

"So to summarise you two know each other. Well enough for jokes familiarity and nick names. A prior relationship suggesting you know each other well putting me at a disadvantage while I attempt to catch up on where we all stand in relation to each other.

"If this was a diplomatic mission I would be attempting to gage how you know each other and whether or not that would impact diplomatic relations or my mission."

Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei

Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

She was listening to them talk about their first impressions of each other and well she was a little right... Tana and her knew eaach other previously so in jokes maybe... but definitely insider knowledge. "You are not wrong either of you. In a diplomatic situation the first meeting can be important. These impressions will give you an idea of what the other is like sometimes. Metis is correct that myself and Tana have a past... likely a degree of comfort. Tana is correct in how Metis conducts herself and with introductions out of the way we can look towards the real lesson." SHe said it with a smile and leading them towards the seat motioned to sit down. "Now for the excitement and fun... as jedi you will usually be in situations that require diplomacy and skills with your words. SOmething many can do easily is talk few will talk with the ability to convince the others... and some will brandish their saber and use its implied danger to convince others." Wu turned to look at them. "Now give me an example if you can of important diplomatic situations we might be aasked to aid with."

Tana gave Metis a raised curious eyebrow at her rather lengthy analysis of himself and the relationship he shared with Wu. "Hmm quite impressive not gonna lie, certainly have the mouth for political situations, I hear a lot of talking is involved". Continuing with the joking matter at hand, but never the less was got an indication Metis was a smart cookie, moving to follow his sisters master towards the chairs, taking a relaxed seat while listening to her continue the lecture.

"Hmmm a example of an important diplomatic situation". He hadn't really been in many, well non that Tana could recall, guess it was time to wing it. "Guess a common one would be when traveling to nearby sectors and meeting with planetary or local civilizations". "Never know what sort of 'unique' customs they might have their that we'd need to take into account before establishing proper contact". "You put your hand out for a shake and suddenly you start a massive galactic war cus on their world it means something horrible or the likes".

"Your one to talk" Metis responded automatically

"I'll take that as a compliment" Metis raised an eyebrow and an amused wry smile at Tanaski's response to her report. "A left handed one, but coming from a man who seems to like to talk, I'm guessing that's as close to sincerity as I'm going to get from you."

"It's hard to engage in political discussions in political situations without a lot of talking being involved." Metis retorted

Metis listened to Tanaski's response to the Master's questions. Metis frowned at his cavalier and careless attitudes to the nuance of diplomacy.

"Jedi are often called to adjudicate planetary disputes." Metis attempted a more clinical answer "There could be many cultures within a planet and many species within those cultures."

"My own home planet of Naboo for instance share's an ecosystem with the Gungans, with whom Naboo has not always had a… cordial relationship with."

"The stigma of which can sometimes unfortunately still be prevalent in both peoples."
Metis acknowledged with regret "It was in part due to Jedi intervention that a more cordial alliance was reached."

"Despite that within both cultures of my world come opportunities for increased discord with other worlds."
Metis continued her report with her own example. "My own heritage includes Echani, whose matriarchal society bared similarities to mine own, to the point that both soceities have orders of Handmaidens, which was the basis of my own training."

"Similarly the Gungans have proved useful in the past in interactions with planets that had similar circumstances. Dac for instance is another planet that had two different cultures to its borders the Quarren and the Mon Calamari, both of which were aquedatic in nature similar the Gungans own society. During the Clone Wars the Gungans reinforced the Mon Calamri during their own theatre of the civil war. "

"With Jedi assistance."

Metis paused during her speech

"The point being the beginnings of diplomatic outreach can lead to further diplomatic endeavors useful in times of crisis."
Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi Wu Yeoh-Mei Wu Yeoh-Mei

Tanaski Yumi Tanaski Yumi Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

She looked at the both of them and didn't admonish but she was hoping a little smoother interaction maybe... looking at Tana as he spoke and then at Metis to give her full attention there were nods of agreement. "You are bother right, the easiest is meeting with polticial leaders for worlds and helping with treaties if possible. Often and it is important the jedi are meant to be neutral or at least able to see both sides aand offer the ability to compromise with solutions. This isn't always the case, you will sometimes run into situations where your diplomatic skills will be tested more then you know... and in the short term you may help but long term there will be even greater danger or damage."

She was offering some approval though. "The situation on Naboo is a good example for the Gungans and the Noboo themselves... as it the agreements aand treaties they had with the moons and planets near them. Others like the incident with the Pantorans when they went to their moon and the native species wanted them to leave. Jedi were made to step into a neutral position and stop the violence first and foremost as opposed to just siding with the group that had brought them there at the time." She waited and brought up a few things on the screen other incidents but.

"Now an example for a scenario. We are on Zygerria negotiating with their queen. They do have other businesses and supplies then their slavetrade after all and worlds need those supplies. How would you handle the engagement?"

Tana leaned in his chair and could only chuckle at Metis come back, well he assumed it to be one, she was quite the logical thinker. "I like to prod and poke, their are many ways to use words test people, I just prefer small jabs here and there against my targets, can be just as insightful as being eloquent and charming, or intimidating". His town shifting a bit to a more serious one before returning to the more jovial manner kicking back up his chair a bit. "So don't think about it to much kay". Flashing a coy smile before turning attention back to Wu as the first question slowly wrapped up.

"Hmmm I suppose for Zyperria is would be hard to really replace their slave trade, I know that the simple option would be droids to do manual labor and find some other way to supplement their supply imports but for their nation slavery is as much a cultrual thing as it is a economic thing". That wasn't something that could be changed with ease, his own people having similar problems when engaging with the wider galaxy.

"It would be a slow progress of changing the cultural stigma and ideals about slavery more then simply changing the way in which they change supply.... though on an off hand for such a world that itself might be an area were showing strength might be more viable. For a slavery world strength and 'might makes right' can be used against them".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom