Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone Rings, Door Chimes, In Comes Company | Closed

skin, bone, and arrogance
The house party was a time-honored tradition on Galidraan, where the elites had made it an art form centuries ago and had continued to observe the rules, almost unchanging, since then. The aim was simple -- pull together a group of friends, invite them to stay for a weekend, during which time the host and hostess would cater to their every comfort -- or rather, their staff would -- while the party indulged in all manner of country sport, depending on the season. In summers, guests would play croquet, lounge at the pool, play tennis (mixed doubles being the preferred variety) or cricket. During the autumn, there were hunts -- first fox, then the grouse -- as well as some sport for those who didn't mind the chill. Winters and springs were typically spent in the capital for the Season, but occasionally there would be a smaller house party, often for Life Day and usually involving extended family.

When Natasi had received the note from Charlotte Reed, Duchess of Sterandel, she had been tempted to reject it out of hand. She was very busy with work, after all, and she could only imagine the First Order's gears grinding to a halt without her. But on second thought, she felt she could do to get away from it all -- from her office, with its maddening proximity to that of another, from her appointments, from the judgmental glare of Sioux Chambers, who disapproved more and more of her. It would be nice to spend time on Galidraan again, she decided, and given that Charlotte Reed -- affectionately known as Aunt Charlie to Natasi and Mathes Fortan -- was a great friend of Natasi's late mother, it would be the closest thing to being home since Herevan Hold had burned to cinders all that time ago. Sterandel was a neighboring estate, and so Natasi had spent her childhood in and out of Sterandel. She knew the Duchess' two daughters -- one married to an Earl on Galidraan, the other to a banker richer than God, but without a title and so something of a black sheep -- having come out with the eldest.

And so she had instructed Sioux to send her acceptance and went about purchasing a new wardrobe. It was early autumn in that part of Galidraan, so she would need something that would allow her to play sports if called upon, and riding clothes, obviously, because the Duchess had specifically mentioned a foxhunt in her invitation. She bought three new evening gowns, new gloves, clothes for morning and afternoon -- and matching hats -- as well as pajamas. She would travel with her good fur coat and the wide-brimmed, jauntily-sitting black hat, all of which would be organized by her ladies maid, Banks.

She debated whether to bring Banks. Things were not what they were anywhere, but Galidraan clung to traditions more than anywhere else Natasi had been, and so she decided to take her. If no one else brought servants, or if the Duchess seemed put off, Natasi would send Banks to the nearest hotel for some time off and Natasi would just dress herself. She had done it for months, so she was used to it.

On the appointed hour, Natasi's landspeeder turned into the drive. It ran along the Sterandel Great Park, which contained perhaps the largest and most varied collection of Galidraani ice flora, some of which was in bloom, thanks in large part to an early frost which had painted the grounds white. Natasi sighed wistfully; over the ridge to the west, she could practically see Herevan. She had never come back to Galidraan and not visited, but the only thing there now was a blackened ruin and too many memories. She supposed cousin Maximilian hadn't yet contracted with a firm to rebuild Herevan. She wondered if he intended to do so at all, and frowned. For a woman of considerable power and rank, she felt more than ever as if her fate were dominated by men -- one who she couldn't stand, the other that she couldn't seem to get over despite the fact that he had never shown the slightest interest.

tumblr_nd2lfkvDcs1sgsmn9o1_1280.jpg
Sterandel House​

I was supposed to leave these thoughts back at the office, Natasi scolded herself, squeezing her eyes shut. When she opened them again, the landspeeder was swinging in a great arc in front of the house, joining the line of vehicles waiting to unload passengers and luggage. She was pleased to see that there were some people with servants helping to unload -- ladies maids and valets -- so Banks would be able to stay after all. When the car finally hovered to a halt in front of the massive front door, a footman in the green livery of the Reed family approached and pulled the door open, offering Natasi a hand out. She smiled her thanks and waited for Banks to emerge. "The Butler used to be called Samuels, and I think the housekeeper was Beresford. Or was it Billingsgate?" She pulled her coat tighter around her and breathed fog into the air. "They'll be able to tell you inside. Just follow them."

Banks was a classic ladies' maid. She bobbed her head and collected the cases, following the line of servants along the gravel path before disappearing around a corner.

Natasi turned and strode into the house, past a flanking line on either side of the door of uniformed staff. By the Balance, it's good to be back here. As she crossed the threshold, Natasi breathed in deeply through her nose. All old houses smelled the same -- yet different. There was a kind of ancient smell to them, which layered with other scents like a fine perfume. In this case, it layered with black tea, winter roses, and wood polish.

The great hall at Sterandel had not changed a bit since Natasi had been there -- down to the small tables, the rugs, the bowls of flowers on each surface. The flowers were fresh, as always, but they were the same type of flower she had seen every time since she had first come. It was a comfort and a joy. A footman helped her out of her coat, leaving her in a beautiful black traveling dress and her black hat, sitting at a jaunty angle on her head, a pair of grey feathers curling around the side. She had to admit that she looked fabulous, even if she didn't feel it. But the environment was helping, and the bevy of familiar faces was, too. There was Sir Eldin Breik and his wife, Lady Saira -- Natasi's father's cousin. And by the massive fireplace stood Reince Urquhart, the Fifth Earl of Pimteral, an estate on the southern part of the continent. He was Lord Sterandel's brother, and had been given an Earldom in his own right for bravery in service of Galidraan during the Great Fire twenty five years ago.

Charlotte Reed was a tall, elegant woman with greying black hair and a classic, patrician face now facing lines. The face lit up upon seeing Natasi walking into the room. "My dear," she called, extending her hands as she came within range. Natasi took them both and the women exchanged kisses on both cheeks. "Oh, it is like seeing a dark-eyed Reima right here in my hall," Aunt Charlie said warmly, canting her head to one side before leaning in to press another affectionate kiss into Natasi's cheek. "I'm so pleased you could come. You'll be in the Armada room -- that was your favorite, wasn't it?"

"All your bedrooms are lovely, Duchess" Natasi answered with a smile. "But I think I liked it best because it had an en suite bathroom."

The Duchess smothered a laugh. "Well, they all do now. Grevil insisted, don't ask me. We won't even fill them all this weekend, but he insisted." Charlotte rolled her eyes. "And do call me Charlotte."

"In front of company? Never, Duchess," Natasi said.

"Come over and get some tea. You must be famished from your trip. We'll meet in the drawing room for cocktails at eight, of course. Speaking of cocktails, your girl -- Susan, was it? -- said you preferred gin these days, so the pitcher on the left is gin, the one on the right is water, and there's tonic water in the cabinet. But if you prefer anything else, your maid can request it from Mrs. Beresford." Natasi smiled as she took a cup of tea from the footman pouring. The Duchess took one as well, and then a slice of cake from the tiered tray. Natasi took a slice and smiled.

"It is wonderful to be at Sterandel again, Duchess. It is the nearest thing to home that I can think of." Natasi glanced fondly around the room, making eye contact and nodding politely at Sir Jerid Placayr, one of the most popular fixtures on the horseracing circuit. They had met years ago during Natasi's coming out and had remained friendly, if remote, since then. "I cannot thank you enough for inviting me."

"Of course, dear, of course. We'd have invited you sooner but all that... dreadful business about Herevan and they said you were dead -- my gods, we went into full mourning for two months until they changed their minds. Oh but you are alive and well and we are so pleased to have you here. Grevil -- " She looked around for her husband. " -- well, he's pleased, wherever he is. Oh -- my nephew has arrived, let me go and say hello. Do go up whenever you like, dear." Natasi took another kiss to her cheek and watched as the Duchess bustled off to greet a handsome blond man who had just wandered in. Natasi recognized him as [member="Hallam Reed"], one of his Lordship's cousins. They had met several times -- here in this house, actually -- but Natasi hadn't heard what he had been up to since then.

She turned back to the party and wandered over to speak to the Dowager Marchioness of Rivenal, who had just dispatched a servant to fetch her tea. They spoke for nearly ten minutes before the Dowager Marchioness got around to asking just who Natasi was. I have missed Galidraan, Natasi sighed internally, a broad smile coming to her face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom