Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Partisan-class Technological Warfare Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partisan-class Technological Warfare Cruiser
Battle_Cruiser_by_vlda.jpg

Image Credit: Here
Intent: To provide the Lords of the Fringe with a technological warfare support cruiser that is capable of being a support element in fleet actions and invasions.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Invictus Aeronautics (design), Sienar Fleet Systems (production)
Model: Partisan-class Cruiser
Affiliation: The Lords of the Fringe
Modularity: Guns-based, Hangar-based
Production: Major
Material: Durasteel; Transparisteel (viewports), Turadium (Blast doors, Technological Warfare Center)

Description: The Partisan-class cruiser was designed to fill a hole in the Fringe Confederacy Fleet. Often overlooked, technological warfare is a massive part of space combat. Realising this, Invictus Aeronautics designed a smaller support cruiser to fill this role, designing it exclusively for the Lords of the Fringe. Sienar Fleet Systems took manufacturing duties.

The Partisan is quick for a cruiser and moderately shielded, which allows it to bring its technological warfare attachments into play. It comes equipped with top-of-the-line sensors, navigational systems and communications, but the bread and butter of the ship is its Technological Warfare Suite. This includes advanced decryption and encryption networks, firewalls, hacking suites and a hyperwave jammer. Another major feature of the Partisan is its co-operative targeting system, which feeds targeting information to nearby Fringe vessels. Essentially, it is designed to weaken enemy vessels for other ships to finish off, without even firing a shot.

However, the Partisan is unable to go toe-to-toe with other ships of its class, and even some frigates. Its hangar-based fighter count is greatly reduced from what a cruiser-class carrier could typically hold, and its gun-based variant is still heavily out-gunned by most other ships of its size. Alone, the Partisan is a weak ship. In summary, it is a typical “support ship”, which makes a fleet greater than the sum of its parts.

Classification: Support Cruiser
Role: Technological Warfare
Height: 70 m
Width: 150 m
Length: 450 m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Solar Ionization Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 1.0
Minimum Crew: 400
Optimal Crew: 800

Armaments: (Guns-based)
  • 2 x Heavy Turbolasers
  • 6 x Turbolasers
  • 6 x Ion Cannons
  • 10 x flakgun batteries
  • 10 x point defence system batteries
Armaments: (Hangar-based)
  • 4 x Ion Cannons
  • 12 x flakgun batteries
  • 12 x point defence system batteries
Hangar: (Guns-based)
  • 12 x TIE Hex-class starfighters
  • 2 x gunships
Hangar: (Hangar-based)
  • 36 x TIE Hex-class starfighters
  • 6 x gunships
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Advanced Decryption Network
  • Advanced Encryption Network
  • Escape Pods
  • Firewalls
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Hyperwave Jammer
  • Life Support
  • Medical Bay
  • Standard Co-operative Targeting Systems
  • Standard Communications Array
  • Standard Detention Cells
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Deflector Shielding
  • Technological Warfare Suite (Hacking)
  • Tractor Beams x4
Passenger Capacity: 120
Cargo Capacity: 8,000 tons
Consumables: 6 months
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 5

@[member="Alen Na'Varro"]

This is a great first draft on the ship. There's nothing in here that makes me really nervous or potentially abusive. However, there are a number of things we'll need to sort out.

• First; Invictus Aeronatuics is a fairly new Tier II company. In its listing of operations, it says it's just recently begun work on retrofits and minor ship production. As such, I'd like for this to be dropped to minor unless you're willing to use another, more established shipwright for production.
  • Next; the ships materials are a bit unusual. Quadanium Steel is slightly more durable that durasteel but much more expensive. As well, using turadium in a ship produced by a new shipwright is also a little questionable given its expensive nature.
  • Your description is a little contradictory. In the beginning you state that it's very well shielded, but then later point out its weakness of not being able to go toe-to-toe with enemy frigates.
  • Its armament looks mostly in order. The hanger-version has four more batteries than would otherwise be allowed, but you gave up almost 75% of the capital guns so I'm okay with this.
The non-combative systems is where there's the largest problems, so I'm gonna go into this with a little more detail.

To start off, there are simply too many advanced systems on the ship. Mass produced ships are designed to be cheap and easy to produce. Installing advanced systems takes a lot of credits and time and complicates the ship. As a ship is produced more and more (Limited -> Minor -> Major), the number of advanced systems should go down as a reflection of this. Of note again is the relative newness and small size of Invictus Aeronautics. These things would limit their ability to design and implement so many advanced systems in one ship. I'd like to see the number of advanced systems cut down to one, perhaps two if the shipwright changes.

Hyperdrive jammer is not a term used in Star Wars and I'm not exactly sure what you mean with it. If you mean it to be a method of keeping ships from jumping into hyperspace, then it should be labeled as a gravity well projector or a mass shadow projector. If you mean it as a means of communication jamming, then it should be labeled as such. Note that gravity well projectors are fairly large and take up a good deal of power, which would strain the ECM suites on the ship. Most interdictors (ships designed specifically to trap ships with gravity well projectors) tend to lack complicated and delicate sensors for that reason.

Now I know that this is a lot of text and it might seem both intimidating and harshly critical, so I want to take a moment to stress that I think the idea of the ship is very good and one I'd like to help make a reality for you. At this point, the two things that have to change are the number of advanced systems. The number of advanced systems needs to be axed to one or two. Beyond that, I feel like there are two options.

You can keep everything else as is if you change the shipwright, or you can keep it as is and drop it to limited production. The benefit to the first is that your ship will be mostly unchanged, with the downsides of not being produced by Invictus Aeronautics. On the other hand, if you change its production to limited, then the ship stays under IA, with the downside of only being able to field a small number of ships as opposed to being deployed across Fringe space.

If you're a little overwhelmed and would like to talk to someone, you are more than welcome to PM myself or @[member="Ashin Varanin"] to discuss it. Ashin has a very solid grasp on this sort of thing and could help you plan the future of the ship, regardless of what decision you decide to make.

When you're ready, @mention me in the post and we'll move on from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom