Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Pain is a Reminder || Deyanira Draco

Renoux.png

H O U S E • R E N O U X

Wearing: xxx
Tag: Deyanira Draco Deyanira Draco

Pain was a sensation that reminded the one who felt it that their injury had not killed them. Often it made them feel as though they wanted to. Ulysses was not an exception. The blaster bolt which had torn through his chest had missed vital organs, but not by much. Someone had tried killing him in the same manner they had been successful with the heads of Amnen and Draco. Were his thoughts more lucid, Ulysses would be at the forefront of the investigation, but they were not. His body was not in any condition to be doing much of anything even with the assistance of Bacta in the recovery.

At least he was awake.

At least he could feel.

There were small victories to be counted, he supposed. Breathing hurt, but he still could. His chest felt as though it were burning, but he still clung to life. The Duke had been fortunate to not meet his end as the others had, and for that he was grateful.

He scanned the room. Justicars stood where they should. Gideon and Raze were both absent, but likely because they were tending to the discovery of his would-be assassin. Romin was no doubt acting in his stead. A smirk played at Ulysses lips at the thought. Could it have been his own son seeking to depose him? Romin was still too kind to attempt it. Perhaps this would make him a bit more ruthless.

"That hurts!"

The exclamation was directed at a nurse who was changing the bandage and checking on the wound. Ulysses was not a kind patient, and he had refused to let his mind be dulled with pain killers. It was a misery of his own making, but even so the medical staff could have been more gentle.

"It could be worse, my lord. It could be infected."

He nodded, at least thankful for that.

"You're healing well. A layer of skin has already begun to fill in the hole left by the bolt. The scar will be noticeable, but you will make a full recovery."

Ulysses nodded again.

"I was fortunate. That my heart is on the opposite side of my chest. I am certain the assassin will not make that mistake again."

The nurse shook her head.

"Gideon will find them first."

"Yes, I suppose he will. I am tired. Leave me."

With his head back on the pillow, Ulysses looked up at the ceiling. He wanted to sleep, but the pain prevented it.

Draco.png

H O U S E • D R A C O

A flash of scarlet.

It had tore through the still forest air, seemingly right before her eyes and found its mark -- Duke Ulysses Renoux Ulysses Renoux . Hours ago now, but the scene played in the widow's mind over and over. She pictured the way he looked on the forest floor, on a bed of dried leaves, dying.

"Lord Renoux is dead."

The words echoed, too. Deyanira even imagined that the words left her own lips, "he's dead." Though, she knew very well that the opposite was true; he was alive. No matter how she'd wanted to sever whatever bond they'd formed, it remained. She felt enough to know he lived. Deyanira didn't know if she felt his pain, but it was ever-present in her heart. Perhaps it was their punishment.

They deserved it.

Truly, she didn't quite know how to process these feelings. There was a certain amount of blame, yes, but she couldn't own it. How exactly would it feel to lose both Elend and Ulysses? The part of her that wanted to acknowledge the sorrow gave way to anger, the way it always did. Hatred was the only way to overpower everything else.

Deyanira reminded herself of something very important: this was not her fault.

And so, as the widow walked the halls of Ironhold, her stony expression would not betray any of the storm brewing within her. Deliberate steps brought her to his door, where she paused as the nurses exited with their heads bowed. It was easy to slip in before the door closed, before anyone -- especially Ulysses -- could object.

"Is there anything you need?" Deyanira asked, cooly. "Your son asked that I check in on you."

Romin was now tasting leadership, whether he wanted it or not. And she couldn't help but wonder if he had sent her here knowing... knowing that she, too, was concerned.

Renoux.png

H O U S E • R E N O U X

Wearing: xxx
Tag: Deyanira Draco Deyanira Draco

The nurse left but another entered. Ulysses took one look at who it was and instantly turned his head away. He had mixed feelings about her being there. While it was good to see her face, there was no way she had come to wish him well or see if he was truly okay. Suggesting she was there because his son had sent her was all the evidence he needed.

So why couldn't he just look her in the eye and tell her to leave.

"Here to scoff?"

The question was cold. He could feign it when his eyes were drawn elsewhere. His jaw tightened as he clenched his teeth and finally looked up at her. The sigh which left his lungs was heavy, shakey with the pain of his wound. Bacta had helped only so much, but it did not relieve the pain.

"Some soup perhaps."

Was it a peace offering? Uly did not know whether to suspect she may poison it or not. For all he knew she had arranged the shot still thinking he had ordered the death of her husband and Lord. Deyanira had tasted the sweet flavor of controlling her house. That was something she was not going to give up easily. Power was something she had always craved, and now that she was hers, she would be loath to let it go.

"Did Romin really ask, or was that an excuse to check on me yourself?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom