Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech One Sith Infantry Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.
caldari4.png

Image Source: CCP Games, Eve Online / Dust

Intent: To create a new set of standardized armour for the One Sith infantry.
Development Thread: N/A

Manufacturer: The One Sith in cooperation with the Primeval Fleet.
Model: New Model Armour Mk. I
Affiliation: The One Sith
Modularity: If you can strap it, weld it, or otherwise attach it to the armour; then it can be added.
Production: Mass-production
Material: Armorplast plating, Primordial Steel underlay, Armourweave Bodyglove, Transparisteel Visor
Classification: Multipurpose Infantry Armour
Weight: 7.5kg
Quality: 7
  • Kinetic: 6
  • Energy: 8

Special Features:
  • Respirator (helmet)
  • Night Vision & Infrared (helmet)
  • Ocular Zooming (helmet)
  • Digital HUD display with synchronization
  • Mid-ranged Communications Transceiver
  • Standard Encryption
  • Climate Control
  • Automated Injection System
  • Jet/Drop Pack Mounting System
  • Holsters & Ammo Pouches
  • Utility Belt
  • Shock Absorption (up to 10 meters)
  • Magnetized Boots (source)

Description: As wars are being waged, the need for improved equipment is fundamental to anyone war effort. After many successful campaigns against the Galactic Republic, the One Sith finds itself now embroiled in conflict with a new contender on the galactic stage; the Alliance. Fighting tooth-and-nail in skirmishes across several systems, and with full-scale invasions looming over the horizon, the Dark Lord has commissioned the best and brightest minds to come up with a solution as past standard armours have failed to offer the Sith's Infantry an edge against those who would oppose the One Sith's goals. Many attempts to design a new and improved armour have led to one singular conclusion; a new model of infantry is required. Befitting of any new line, the armour these infantry will be wearing is simply referred to as "New Model Armour Mk. I."

With designs based off actual feedback taken from countless battles and invasions, the new line of armour is equipped with a number of improvements not utilized by One Sith Infantry. Namely, the need for fighting on a multitude of worlds--with a diversity of climates--has led to the incorporation of climate control systems normally found in vehicles. Although not as effective, the armour's climate control allows regulated temperatures inside the vacuum sealed armour granting the wearer some level of comfort outside of extreme climates. Taking advantage of this system, the designers also took the liberty of adding an automated injection system. Small tubes on the back of the armour allows combatants to insert vials of combat enhancing drugs, which can then be injected into the soldier at will for improved performance in combat situations. All these systems--along with any other electronics--are powered by a battery pack located underneath the jetpack mounting system along the central area of the back. Practically any form of battery technology can be utilized to power this armour, granting it potential upgrades in the future for prolonged use of electronic systems before needing replacement power cells.

Other electronic systems are located in the boots and helmet. Within the helmet are numerous features including a fully-functioning respirator as commonly found in most armours. As well there are more peculiar features such as night vision, infrared, ocular zooming for enhanced precision, and a digital HUD which can be synchronized with compatible weapons and vital display systems; allowing the solider to become one with his or her tools of war. The boots on the other hand are far more simplistic, although no less important. Based on more common technology, the infantry's combat boots can magnetize to surfaces in low-to-nil gravity environments for maneuvering purposes.

The rest of the armour is quite basic. With an armourplast frame, the plating can take significant punishment from blasters, slugthrowers, and even vibroblades. The Primordial Steel underlay improves its energy resistance, and although it cannot survive repeated lightsaber strikes, it does provide infantry with a greater chance of preventing laceration should they come into contact with the fearsome energy swords. Underneath all that is a standard vacuum-sealed, amourweave bodyglove to prevent exposure to hazards that would otherwise compromise less equipped infantry. Along the exterior one can find holsters, ammo pouches, and a utility belt for equipping gear and storing ammunition. Aesthetically the armour is designed for a uniform appearance, with a coating along the transparisteel to make the material one-way to further reduce individuality among its wearers. The armour itself is usually found in a monotone colour, although it can easily be repainted for use in battle where camouflage is preferable.

In all, the New Model Armour Mk. I is essentially designed for balance and has neither any significant strengths nor weaknesses when compared to other armours around the galaxy. However; due to a need for flexibility among its wearers, the armour does have a few gaps along the shoulders, arms, and legs where protection is reduced, making the wearer vulnerable to laceration or kinetic weapons. Furthermore its many systems are vulnerable to EMP attacks, which would limit their ability to fight. Despite these potential drawbacks, the armour is being mass-produced for use in combat against the Galactic Alliance and all other would-be threats that only manage to slow the One Sith's domineering armies.

Strengths:

+ Lightweight: Lighter weight than most standard battle armours; offering improved mobility to soldiers.

+ Balanced: Although it doesn't stand apart, and couldn't be considered state-of-the-art, it also doesn't have many significant drawbacks.

Weaknesses:

- Pretty basic: None of its features are something you couldn't find in other mass-produced armours.

Primary Source: N/A

Netherworld

[member="Catalys Maijora"]

Nice submission, and overall well-balanced, but my main gripe here is the weight.

Going by the image and the description, you've essentially got full durasteel plate with some negligible weight from the systems and the armorweave bodyglove.
The way I see it, you've got two options here:

1. Reduce the amount of coverage (i.e. the amount of plating used), have 9 kg weight, and acknowledge that the armor has more exposed areas (whole thighs, upper arms, etc.)
    OR
  2. keep the full plate coverage, and up the weight to 11 kg.

Tag me with questions/edits. :)

Netherworld said:
Reduce the amount of coverage (i.e. the amount of plating used), have 9 kg weight, and acknowledge that the armor has more exposed areas (whole thighs, upper arms, etc.)

Catalys Maijora said:
However; due to a need for flexibility among its wearers, the armour does have a few gaps along the shoulders, arms, and legs where protection is reduced, making the wearer vulnerable to laceration or kinetic weapons.
It's already not full coverage, and it's not full durasteel plate; hence the underlay.

Netherworld

The gaps in the armor that you mention are standard for anything that uses plate, or else the user wouldn't be able to move.

An underlay would, if anything, add to the weight, but since you're using an ultra-light material, let's say it's irrelevant.
For reference, a kevlar vest with ceramic plates will come in at 10 kg, and both kevlar and ceramic plate are lighter than durasteel plate.

Please list out the strengths and weaknesses of this submission in a bulleted format, and make sure that something along the lines of "large exposed areas" is in there.
Also bump up the weight to 9 kg, please.

[member="Netherworld"]

The entire nature of this armour is that it's intended to be a lightweight alternative to standard battle armours. I picked durasteel because I assumed it wasn't that important when it really comes down to the quality rating, not the materials; since durasteel has no special properties and is the standard 'go to' for anything.

So If I'm not going to get less than 9kg with durasteel, I replaced it with armorplast. Basically the same thing, but canonically lighter. So I reduced it back to 7.5kg which was my original upped weight from the 6.8kg that I initially subbed this as.

I also added listed strengths and weaknesses.

Netherworld

This works.
And for future reference, yes, the material makes a difference. Phrik and Beskar are both Quality 10 against lightsabers, but the weight will differ wildly regardless.

Abuse and suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom