Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NV-B1 Brestplate (InVal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIGOR_Combat_Armor_Chestplate_by_Evil_FX.jpg
Image Credit: http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/143/9/d/RIGOR_Combat_Armor_Chestplate_by_Evil_FX.jpg

Intent: To develop a Medium armor to compliment soldiers in the Protectorate who have had limbs or organs replaced. Allowing them to wear armor that doesn’t encumber their cybernetic limbs.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: InVal Cybernetics
Model: NV B1 Breastplate
Affiliation: InVal Cybernetics, Omega Protectorate
Modularity: Custom Paint Jobs Upon Request, otherwise, No Moding
Production: Minor Production/ Special Orders
Material: Titanium, Tungsten and Pyronium Alloy (Breastplate), Armor Weave (Under Shirt; Body Suit)
Description: The NV B1 is designed to give protection to soldier who can no longer wear full suits of combat armor due to cybernetic replacements. The Titanium Tungsten and Pyronium alloy has strength, stamina and Resistant properties. The strength from the Titanium and Tungsten allows the wearer to absorb a decent physical beating. The Pyronium woven into the alloy have absorptive properties, which contain micro internal matrices that absorb electromagnetic energy. The absorptive limit of Pyronium is undetermined meaning there is an immeasurable amount of energy it can contain. The resistant properties of Pyronium come from when energy projectiles and lightsabers make contact with an object, it creates an electromagnetic field which give energy weapons their punching and cutting power. Pyronium has the ability to absorb that electromagnetic field, taking away the cutting and punching power of energy weapons. Titanium and Tungsten’s melting points are very high which gives them resilience in the face of heavy fire and contact. The titanium and Tungsten give the armor minimal ballistic resistance, anything up to a straight shot. Mind you don’t get shot at point blank range with a large caliber weapon or slug shot from a scattergun.
Classification: Multipurpose
Weight: 3kg
Quality: Ballistics- 5, Energy- 8
Other Feature(s): Main Color is Black, but personalization upon request is possible for a minor fee.

Several things I have issue with regarding this armor:

1) Pyronium is very rare. I don't see how you could mass produce this armor while still including a very rare metal. I could see pyronium being used if this were a one-of-a-kind breastplate, but for mass production, probably not. You'll have to find a different metal, or write a Dev Thread that explains where/how the company managed to come across a large stock of pyronium.

2) The use of tungsten in the armor means the weight needs to be increased. Tungsten is very dense. Creating a breastplate out of tungsten would result in a very, very heavy armor. I'd say this should weigh around 8 kilograms. In comparison, modern Interceptor armor weighs about 7.4 kilograms.

3) Can you provide a reference for the electromagnetic field properties of weapons? If I recall, electromagnetic are pretty much visible light spectrum. I don't believe I've read or heard of anything that would imply that lightsabers and other energy weapons derive their destructive potential from electromagnetic energy.

Please tag me in your response. Thanks! :)

"When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material. Rarely, some solid materials could actually pass through the electromagnetic field and short out the arc. Other electromagnetic energy fields and coherent energy were also repelled by lightsabers' arcs. These include most force fields, blaster bolts, and other lightsaber blades."[ http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber]

Tungsten is not the primary element in the armor, because the more tungsten, the more brittle the armor. Tungsten is a strengthening element in small doses because of it's high tinsel strength and it's conductivity aids the Pyronium absorb electromagnetic energy. I can change the production from Mass to 'Made to Order'/Minor. The titanium is very strong, and light. Adding the Tungsten gives the Titanium the a denser make-up giving it the ballistic resistance. For the weight, I'll move it to 5/6kg but not 8, I'm not adding enough tungsten to increase the weight to 8kg.
[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

[member="Nyos Val"]

1) I can live with the production change from Mass to Made to Order/Minor.

2) Thanks for the clarification of the weight. Increasing it to 6 kg is acceptable.

3) Thanks for the reference regarding the electromagnetics. Can you add a piece into the description specifically describing the armor's resistance to lightsabers?

Thanks! Again, please tag me in your reply.

"The resistant properties of Pyronium come from when energy projectiles and lightsabers make contact with an object, it creates an electromagnetic field which give energy weapons their punching and cutting power."

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

I talked to some other FJ's, and we're not comfortable with allowing pyronium to have lightsaber resistance. While canon states that pyronium absorbs electromagnetic energy, it doesn't explicitly state any lightsaber resistance, nor does it state to what degree it absorbs the energy. Additionally, the pyronium would have to have amazing heat absorption qualities to resist that part of lightsabers. Finally, we don't want to set the precedent that people can scour Wookieepedia to find obscure materials that might be lightsaber resistance, and then use them to get around the Dev Thread requirements for all lightsaber-resistant materials.

If you'd like to continue to use pyronium, you may, but the armor would not have noticeable lightsaber resistance. If you would like lightsaber resistance, you'd have to use something that is conclusively proven in canon to be resistant to lightsabers, such as cortosis.

[member="Nyos Val"]

An exerpt from wookiepedia. "Pyronium was a metal which, when refined, possessed a strange and interesting property: it absorbed electromagnetic energy, changing colors in the process through the visible spectrum from black to red, then orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and finally to white. It was theorized the atomic structure of the pyronium itself stored the energy; when the quantum shells were unable to accommodate more, the energy was theoretically shunted into a localized hyperspatial matrix, making its absorptive potential extraordinarily high."
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pyronium

I originally chose Pyronium for it's name alone. Then I noticed its ability. I Remembered that Lightsabers used electromagnetic fields to give it the 'solid' feeling when it came it contact with an object. Pyronium doesn't disrupt the field, just absorbs it, doesn't allow it to cut by feeding on the field.

Just clarifying. If that doesn't change your decision, you're going to have to look over my other tech. I understand if you think it's unfair that I may have found a loop-hole around the 'canon' technology. Even though the only thing that is considered 'canon' now is the movies now owned by Disney.

Yeah, I read that, I also read the lightsaber entry. The interactions of electromagnetic fields are very loosely explained, and it's still ambiguous what absorbing the field would do to a lightsaber blade. The actual cutting power of the blade is also not really well defined or attributed.

I'm going to stand with the decision and ask deny the lightsaber resistant properties of pyronium until it's more conclusively proven in canon, whether that's from new movie canon material or existing Legends (EU) canon.

I won't bother going through previous submissions because I believe that's outside of the scope of this decision and a bit unfair.

If you'd like, you can substitute another material for the pyronium, or change the intent of the submission. It's your choice.

[member="Nyos Val"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom