Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NPC Creation FAQ & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have any questions about how to use the NPC Creation forum - questions which are not already answered in the template and the guide - please ask them here.

The NPC creation forum is a resource and an option. Our hope is that it will inspire people to flesh out their supporting characters, and share them with other writers, whether or not they're submitted here. Use of this forum is not mandatory.

Also, we've all been in that situation where someone instakills your squadmates that you've written for six months. If you want to be able to establish that you've worked on your NPCs, and that they're entitled to the same anti-autohit common courtesy as, say, your character's personal weapon or ship, this is one way to do it. It's one thing to wipe out faceless mooks; it's another to assume you can do the same to a well-established supporting character. Are they entitled to the same level of protection as a player character? Perhaps not, but remember that our General Rules require respectful RP conduct, and an autohit is an autohit.

Since this has been a gray area until now, NPC companions have often been vulnerable to charges of alt-stacking. The fact of the matter is, though, Han had Chewbacca, Luke had R2, and Revan and the Exile had their respective harems -- 'companions' and 'followers' are well-entrenched in Star Wars. Our hope is that, by recognizing NPC companions within reason, we'll be able to minimize conflict and make writers more aware of their options.

That's just the functional side of things, though. Fundamentally, the NPC creation forum is creation, about making persistent, shared stories. If someone writes an amazing story and creates an NPC you love, ask them if you can use that NPC for one of your own threads. If they happen to have recorded that NPC in this forum as a point of reference, the overarching story can continue that much more easily and naturally.

...this forum can and should be used to record memorable NPCs who arose in response to the needs of a story. Please do not abuse this privilege by creating a 5000-year-old unkillable Dark Lord NPC to train your faction in forbidden arts, for example. We strongly suggest that NPC Force Masters be kept to a minimum, and given sufficient limitations that they cannot be used for powergaming. It would not be appropriate to make an NPC Master who can back you up in a fight, teach you rare and powerful techniques, and tell you where to find important artifacts.

This forum is not for creating armies or fleets. Should you wish to flesh out an NPC squad or the crew of a small ship, please just submit multiple copies of the individual template in the same post.

Suggestion...

Add 'Affiliation' to the template. Especially for non-unique NPC's. For Unique NPC's, adding a 'history' or 'back story' section to the template should add some depth to writer's creations.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Captain Larraq"]
Added a 'loyalties' line to better fit both unique and non-unique NPCs. As for the personal history element, if I'm reading these submissions correctly, people have little trouble weaving that into the existing template.

Veliz Fett

V
Is a battalion ok ? (500) Im not making one, but perhaps I will be in the future.

Veliz Fett

V
[member="Ashin Varanin"]

would a small squad consist of ten individuals ? Would a platoon of thirty men be ok? I am just trying to clarify for future audiences, because some consider a platoon to be really small, while others think that ten is small as well. Thank you for clearing up everything so far, and thank you for explaining this for me.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Veliz Fett"] - Ten would be around the upper limit of what would be fine. Remember that we have to read all this, lol, and you're never going to need ten named NPCs.

Veliz Fett

V
[member="Ashin Varanin"]

Are there any custom creatures that are dog like? that could possibly be one of my companions ? If so, are there links?

[member="Veliz Fett"] - I haven't read most of the non-sentient part of the species factory but I would say: Ashlan Wolves, Ashlan alphas, Ropos, or Canis Snowus if they actually approve it.

A canon one would be a Vorknsnr, which would be a great hunting companian,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom