Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Candidate

Etti IV​
GenPals Corporate Headquarters​

A soft chime came from the center of the conference table. Cass looked up from the scrolling information about the previous candidate and nodded for the next to be sent in.

For normal hiring, Cass left the details to the combination of background checks set up by [member="Itash Mecetti"] of Didact, and the actual HR department. But when it came to new scientists, well. That was a different story. Cassandra Paige vetted every scientist employed by GenPals, and it was one of several duties she could have delegated but likely never would.

With new projects in the works after the opening of the GenPals conference station, new blood and ideas were necessary. Losing several of her top scientists to the joint facility at Junction 01 had been worth it, but it was time to actively expand the number of researchers she had working for her, rather than simply replace the attrition due to the opening of that facility.... and of course, the slow trickle of loss from the original company that she had kept on for moral reasons.

Cass sniffed.

They did nothing illegal. She was very careful about that. She didn't know what they were so uptight about.

Shaking her head, she pulled a holo of the next candidate's resume up out of the table top where it floated for a moment.

Cass blinked.

The door opened.

Casually, as if it had nothing to do whatsoever with the face stepping into the room, Cassandra leaned over. Activating the comm, she smiled at the woman stepping in, holding up a finger to indicate that she would be with her in one moment.

"Sally-"

A small, meek voice returned with "It's, um, Salma, ma'am."

Cass ignored it.

"Please inform Geris Talin that he is fired and to clear out his desk? Thank you."

"I- um, I don't think I'm-"

Cass turned off the comm again.

"Please, sit down..... Miss.... Farah is it?"

[member="Farah"]

Farah didn’t linger at the entrance, stepping inside of the conference room and away from the threshold as the door behind her slid closed. Red waves of hair were pulled into a tight twist at the back of her head and her pants suit—she was fond of less feminine, more androgynous fashion—had been pressed and full of creases. Under her arm was a datapad, in her other hand was a cup of caf.

Her gaze lingered over the woman in the room with polite curiosity as she promptly fired the man who’d reviewed her resume. Farah didn’t know that, of course. A crimson brow arched but she said nothing, taking a cursory sip from her cup as she was addressed.

Long strides took her over to the table where she seated herself and placed her belongings to the side.

“Dr. Navarro.” She informed. Her tone was neither rude nor was it particularly friendly. Evidently, Farah did not possess the same social skills or business acumen as her template.

“Have I caught you at a bad time, Miss Paige?”

[member="Cassandra Paige"]

That information had of course been on the sheet, but Cass offered a brittle smile.

"Of course, Doctor Navarro. And not at all, just tying up some loose ends. Always seem to come undone at the most inopportune of times."

The Zeltron across the table looked familiar. But then, all Zeltron basically looked the same to Cass. The bigotry blinded the realization that she looked just like that woman with the cheese.

Probably for the best.

Of course, she was dressed in a deeply unattractive fashion. But then, that was scientists for you. Besides, how many flattering options were really available with skin that colour? Cass herself was wearing a tailored business dress suit, red hair pulled up into a sleek bun at the nap of her neck.

"My name is Cassandra Paige," she introduced herself. Since they were here, she might as well interview her. All of the scientists that had made it to this round were very, very good. While she would prefer to hire a human she did have a small number of other species working in the lab- one noteable Arkanian in particular. Didact had already vetted this one, so might as well see if she could..... fit.

"We are hiring for a limited number of research and development positions," Cass said crisply, wasting no time with further frivolities. The quicker they were done here the better. "In your own opinion, why should GenPals hire you over the other candidates?"

[member="Farah"]

Farah got an inkling that it wasn’t quite true, but she’d learned not to act on her inklings. Especially when you were at a job interview. After all, Cassandra seemed professional enough.

And she got to the meat of things without dancing around. Some would consider lack of small talk or refreshment to be rude. Farah never wasted her time with things like that. She was busy—always somewhere to be, always someone bleeding out or a recipient organ failing. Doctors ate and slept when they could because they lived and breathed for emergencies.

“I’ve headed and been a part of many clinical and academic trials in genetic modification, genetic medicine and pharmaceuticals. In addition, I am a skilled cardiothoracic and trauma surgeon at Coruscant General where I perform both routine and exploratory surgical procedures.”

She was still a resident, but that wasn’t relevant to her right now because it would make her look less experienced.

“I also run a small research company—Cornerstone Scientific—that manufactures medical supplies and pharmaceuticals and performs genetic research on the side. I have a keen interest in genetic modification and I know my xenobiology inside and out—my drive and dedication to the advancement of bioengineering is unmatched. I do not fear risk, nor do I settle easily for reward.”

Her eyes were a little…too intense as she spoke. Too intense for a business meeting. Farah didn’t realize this, though.

“I assume most of the candidates you’ve interviewed are older than I am.” She spoke freely as if she weren’t about to say something strange. One thing Farah was aware of, at least, was how young she looked. “I will likely outlive them.”

This wasn't a social visit. The idea of making it something like that was anathema to everything Cass stood for. She did not, as a rule, mix business and pleasure. And she frequently looked down on that trait in others. So the fact that the woman equally dove into the moment, well, that was a mark in her favor despite the whole Zeltron business.

Interesting and a little surprising, considering the Zeltrons she had known before. Hedonistic, easily distracted, flirtatious, flighty.

Of course, bigots tend to see only what they want, rather than what is there, unless all of their expectations are stripped in a singular individual.

Dr. Navarro was very driven and detail oriented.

For a Zeltron.

Cass considered making that compliment, and decided now was not the time. No reason to give the woman a false sense that she would be hired, when she was still thoroughly on the fence.

"I have never judged someone on their age," Cass said briskly.

That was true.

"I have not found any particular merit in age- one gets old, it is no guarantee of quality. Simply that the person has done what one cannot help but do."

Leaning back in her chair and studying the other woman, she tapped with a single finger on her forearm- a hologram projecting from it- advanced communication cybernetics- and pulling up the details of Cornerstone Scientific.

"Hmmm," she murmured, nodding slightly. "Now. That is what you have done."

Clearly it was nothing to sneeze at.

"But now I would like to know what you expect to do in the future. And how you think that would be an asset to GenPals."

[member="Farah"]

Farah nearly snorted. Nearly being the key word—her nostrils flared but she didn’t make that indignant sort of sound she so often made. Clearly Miss Paige hadn’t worked with an aging population of physicians and scientists—though many were highly skilled, quite a few of them were resistant to change.

It wasn’t a hard and fast rule, but some of her mentors were wary and distrustful of new techniques and certain technologies when they’d been doing something one way for their entire careers. To Farah, they were inflexible. Many of the surgeons her age embraced everything new.

“Fortunate for you, then.”

As a hologram projected from the woman’s forearm, Farah’s eyes dipping downward for the slightest moment in vague interest. A pretty young thing like her with cybernetics? She had to wonder if it was because of some injury or elective.

There was polite hesitation as she dove into her answer.

“Cornerstone is working on an implant division. Microscopic sub-dermal grafts that control body temperature, monitor fluid levels and perform a number of other basic functions. I’m also researching methods of behavior modification via neural stimulation.”

Also, things like mind control were completely on the table. Maybe nothing as brash as a total hostile brain takeover (yet), but subtle influencing in the same vein as a mind trick.

“Perhaps this opens an avenue for your products to have a programmed personality of their own, tailored to the client’s requests.”

Even before she explained the potential implication, Cass's eyes had sharpened slightly with interest at the mention of behavior modification.

In a way, one could say, Cassandra herself was very familiar with it. Oh, not in the fashion she put it forward, but the general application. The way it could be applied to the young.... and how it was carried with them for the rest of their lives. Difficult to undo, that sort of conditioning.

"GenPals does some very minor behavior modification, some of it at the base genetics and some of it... applied. Necessary, of course, anytime one is dealing with animals."

She flicked her finger casually at the hologram floating above her arm and it vanished again.

Tilting her head slightly, she studied the woman across from her.

Ugh, the colour of her skin. No matter, Cass wouldn't have to look at her most days she supposed. Her credentials were impeccable. Not that it even occurred to her to undo the firing she had just set into motion. Just because she recognized the potential benefit to GenPals didn't mean that she could over look the initial 'mistake.'

"With your studies and the running of your own business, how much time do you expect to be able to dedicate to GenPals? We are not typically a.... casual company to work for, you understand. Do you anticipate that being a problem with your current scheduling load?"

[member="Farah"]

Blue eyes flickered to the empty space left behind by the hologram before resting back on Miss Paige herself. Farah knew full well she was being studied; she’d felt similar eyes on her the moment she was ushered out of the incubation cradle. Though the Zeltron hadn’t exactly been an experiment—Kaine had gotten the cloning process down pat by then, there wasn’t much to play around with in terms of creating a perfect replica—she’d certainly been poked and prodded like one.

She didn’t like being look at that way, but Farah did not lash out. Nor did she wither. Instead of passive, her own gaze was still a little too intense. Too focused.

Scientists were weird like that.

“Enough to spend the better portion of the work day here.” She paused. “Or if you’d prefer it, several weeks on full time with a week or so off in between.”

Farah wasn’t interested in running her company so much as she was in using her company. She’d hired numbers people to manage the money, business people to manage the other ends of it. All she really wanted was a machine capable of putting her ideas into motion. The part where products were designed for sale? That was largely done by their public R&D team.

“I will be cutting down my hours at CoreGen regardless.” Once she became an attending, that was. “To a handful of consults a week.” Interesting cases only, because routine had gotten boring by now.

Though she wasn't the best at voicing her intentions, Farah legitimately wanted to work for the large scale genetic modification company. They didn't seem afraid of scientific advancement, though it was largely for profit and wrapped up in cute packaging.

"Either suits," Cass said succinctly. "You'll find that the flexibility afforded to GenPal's scientists is enormous. We have a wide slice of needs, and while we expect results in timely fashions, the manner in which you come to them is very flexible. Some of our scientists work on a project on, project off basis, while others treat it as more of a nine-to-five. And then we have some who have taken up residence at the various facilities- they offer both short term and long term residential options if that is desirable."

She wondered if Larry ever left Junction 01. Probably not. Well, better there than anywhere near her.

"You will also find that our benefits are top notch," she continued, tilting her head slightly. Weighing. "With generous vacation time and family leave."

Of course, for the scientists in particular, the base pay and bonuses for projects that did will for GenPals was no small matter, but that was also public knowledge.

It matched with the front face of GenPals. Family friendly. It went to the root of their corporate style it seemed.

Of course, Cass didn't do it because she gave a fig about that. But those things ensured loyalty in ways that simple money did not. Loyal, happy workers gave better returns on investments and kept turn over down. All good for her bottom line. Cass didn't need to be the richest person in a room (though that was perfectly pleasant). The success of GenPals was something that went beyond simply credits.

"I am interested in offering you a position," she said, laying it clearly. "It would involve certain industry standards, which being in a similar line you would understand. A standard non-disclosure agreement. Normally we have a clause about not working for other biotechnology companies, but I believe we can make an exception here. Before that however.... do you have any questions for me?"

[member="Farah"]

A thoughtful silence fell between the two as Farah took a few moments to go over her mental checklist.

“You’ve answered my questions through the duration of the interview.” That sounded clunky, but Farah didn’t care. So long as the point got across.

“If I am offered a position with GenPals, I will accept and have no issue signing a non-disclosure agreement.” Of course this was all talk. Farah would say pretty much anything to get the job, but making good on what she said was a different story entirely. “I would prefer working on a project to project basis, but I’m sure that scheduling that will be the responsibility of your research division.” These large corporations had so many titles and heads of something or other. Like many scientists, Farah just wanted to get to the work.

With that, she stared at Miss Paige. Not an attempt to intimidate or sway her into any direction, but simply because she hadn’t learned to dial it down.

"Mmm, quite," she said in response to the scheduling question. Those were details that, frankly, were below Cass's attentions. As long as there were results, she felt no need to micromanage how the various departments got them.

She considered for a moment, mulling. GenPals was growing faster than hiring had so far kept up. The number of new GenPals rolling out had slowed as too many scientists were taken up in the day to day production of existing lines, over seeing, testing, making certain of the quality and continued processes. She needed more scientists to continue genetic innovation if she had any intention of GenPals being more than a short lived fad.

Oh, she could shutter the doors and walk away now, having made a name and an obscene amount of money. Thumb her nose squarely in her mother's face about her 'inability and unwillingness' to put in a hard day's work. She could coast on that and her relationship with [member="Itash Mecetti"] for some time. Focus on Antigone instead perhaps, or- well no, even if he proposed as he had promised she would be uninterested in simply living out the rest of her life as a little piece of arm fluff.

"I would like to hire you to work at one of our research facilities- not the day to day, but in development. I believe that would be your preference as well."

Tapping out a few things into her arm, she nodded, more to herself than Farah.

"The information has been sent over. You can speak to the front desk and they'll work out the details, get you the paperwork if that is amenable?"

She looked up, confirming the response.

"Well then, Doctor Navarro, welcome to GenPals," she said with a smile.

Cass did not offer a hand to shake. The conference table was wide, so it would have been awkward anyway. The fact that was by design was irrelevant.

[member="Farah"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom