Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private New Footprints on an Old Path

Merrick Sato

M

PH8Crv1.png

"Stalwart, I will stand, until mountains turn to sand."

loCyN9g.png

UET4Gi4.png
TIME: Morning
THEME: Ambience - Reading Music

A Jedi's work is never done.

Sitting down with a steaming mug of caf at the holoterminal aboard his ship - a second home in some ways and brought up to standards with a refresh in the past year - Merrick opened his mail only to find himself faced with a request to consider another student, among other business; as ever, it was all hands on deck, as the Brotherhood carved a path of destruction that rivalled the Bryn'adûl of his younger years. With his padawan of the past twelve years being soon up for knighthood and both of his teenage children now largely the responsibility of the Praxeum on Ossus, it wasn't an unreasonable thing, but this still caused a bevy of thoughts to swim across the forefront of his mind... the recent ravaging of Naboo being prominent amongst his present concerns.

But as for this request? There was nothing in the profile of the young Pantoran that gave him cause for concern, as his eyes took in the details line by line. Age wasn't a factor, as even Osenia had been older, but with no prior knowledge about the boy it would be a truly blank slate. Each of his first two students had to be handled differently from the other, regardless of his prior acquaintance with them from the outset, and it would be no different, here... but when it came to the analysis of the boy's strengths, it became abundantly clear why the New Jedi Order had made the offer to him, specifically: many of their number were suited to direct conflict, what the Jedi Orders over countless millennia had codified as a 'Jedi Guardian', but he occupied a different role that few of them fit. Always, the Jedi trained their numbers to the state of the galaxy.

Settling back into his chair with both hands wrapped around the mug, a hand came to rest on his shoulder, and featherlight lips pressed to his temple, "Good morning," he half-whispered, tilting his head back to see the face of Chiara Viren as her violet eyes looked to the screen, and the profile of the Pantoran teenager, Iri. "They're really not wasting time..." she began; he tilted his head forward to look at the photo, again, "...no one can afford to," he said with the mildest sigh, "I suppose we should be glad May isn't here."

Force only knows what their daughter would think... or do.

"You say that," she said with a small laugh, "like there aren't boys at the Praxeum."

Well, she wasn't wrong.

TIME: Morning - Four Days Later
TAGS: Iri Tuteru

Having dropped his wife off at Ossus for some meetings involving her expertise as a healer, and attending a couple meetings there himself after transmitting his acceptance of the request on the matter of Iri Teteru, Merrick set foot on Coruscant four mornings later to finally meet the young man. As a speeder shuttled him from the starport to the Jedi Temple, he noticed how the landscape of buildings had changed against their will since the last time he was in this place, and it was not unlike how Naboo might look in the months ahead... with the temple apparently having taken the worst of it, he noted, as it came into view.
"Not the first time," he murmured to himself after exiting the speeder cab, craning his head to look up at the damaged structure from base of the now-precarious steps. "and probably not the last," if history was any indication. He was old enough to be aware of what the One Sith had done here in decades past, even if he hadn't been in the thick of it, and by many accounts that had been worse; the common whisper being that to hold Coruscant was to willingly paint a target on your back - a blood jewel, so to speak. Merrick looked away from the rubble, and looked around; his newest student was to meet him here, and he glanced at his chrono to check the time.

"Well, he's not late... but I am early," for once. Over a decade of child-rearing on top of being a Jedi was a challenge to timeliness, so being early was just a tad surprising. "I wonder if he drinks caf."

The profile didn't say, but he wouldn't mind another cup.

loCyN9g.png

lKC80sY.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Iri Tuteru

I

New Footprints on an Old Path
Time: Morning
Tag: Merrick Sato
Theme: Temple Sounds

The day couldn't begin early enough for Iri, there hadn't been a day as exciting as this since he learned under Jedi Valery Noble, it finally seemed that he was going to become a Padawan; at least that was the chatter amongst the force sensitives.

After getting ready and leaving the near-empty dormitory that the few force sensitives still inhabited, he bumped into someone he was least expecting, his friend that was known for always being up late no matter what lessons were planned for the day. An unusual fellow, an earthy orange-skinned Quarren named [Pue Ris]. "What are you doing up so early Pue?" Iri asked in an inquisitive manner, still having some time until his meeting.

The Quarren boy, no older than Iri himself, replied with a cheeky grin and flap of his face tentacles. "It can hardly be considered early when I have yet to sleep yet." It had not been the first time that his carefree attitude had led him down this path. "I suppose this could be the last time that we see each other, thinking about it…" his voice trailed off into a sad tone, clearly upset at the thought of losing someone to who he was so close, losing one of the few remaining people that inhabited the ruins of this once great temple.

The thought of this potentially being the last time that they spoke, piercing through his eager and gleeful expression, clearly causing a visible change on Iri's face. "I suppose this could be the last time- No this is just a goodbye for now. In the future, we will cross paths again, and stand side by side as proud Jedi of the order." He nodded his head firmly, clearly intending to make it clear to his close friend that this wasn't the end. The Quarren boy returned the statement with a nod before speaking once more "You best get on your way, you don't want to be late for you know who".

With that said Iri departed dashing through the main temple ruins, causing no doubt a few off glances from the few Jedi that remained to guard the structure. He arrived swiftly at the top of the stairs and looked down them, no doubt meeting the gaze of the Jedi who waited at the bottom. A grin formed on his face as he made his way down, ensuring not to trip and embarrass himself.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, they told me you were waiting here. I am Iri Tuteru." He dusted down his well-worn, but equally well cared for robes before bowing respectfully to the Jedi.

He offered him a light smile as he waited for him to introduce himself

Merrick Sato

M

PH8Crv1.png

loCyN9g.png

UET4Gi4.png

He didn't need to wait long; within a scant few minutes the rush of footsteps on stone came from the ruins and added itself to the sounds of the cityscape, drawing his gaze back up the dilapidated steps at the moment the Pantoran boy slowed his momentum to a brief pause, and affixed Merrick just as briefly with golden eyes, and underlaid the look with a youthful grin that stretched across his cerulean face.

Merrick gave a subdued smile in response, and watched along as the teen plummeted down to meet him in a way that told him just how many times the steps had been traversed by his new padawan... and informed him somewhat on his reflexes. As a boy of only fourteen, he would get taller and fill out more as time wore on. Training would, in some respects, see to the latter.

Merrick tipped his head in kind, "Master Merrick Sato," he informed, "of Naboo..." he raised his gaze to look past the boy, "...so, Iri," he continues, returning his attention to the young man in front of him "would you happen to know of any cafes in the area? I haven't been back to Coruscant since a good, long while before the attack, but I'd like a caf and we'll walk and talk, hm?"

A half a moment, then:

"Do you drink caf, or is there something else you prefer?"

It wasn't that caf was the only thing the Master drank... but it was still morning, and fairly early-ish, at that.

lKC80sY.png

Iri Tuteru

I

A smile formed on his lip as the man introduced himself, he had hardly seen another Jedi knight in weeks outside of those left to guard the ruins and a little outing with Valery Noble, let alone a Master of the order. He couldn't help but allow his expression to show on his face once more, he had never been good at keeping his true emotions guarded. "It is a pleasure to meet you Master Sato." he replied in an equally eager tone, filled with all the cheerfulness a boy of his age should have; clearly he had been looking forward to this day for a while.

He once more turned to listen attentively as the man address him once more, eager to answer any question he might have about himself. At the mention of a Cafe, he paused clearly having to spend a couple of moments to think it through. Most of Iri's time had been spent within the temple studying, he didn't spend much time outside of it unless he and the other padawans were sneaking off somewhere to cause trouble.

"Well, when it comes to cafes in the area....." he paused for a moment, thinking for a couple more seconds. "There is one hidden in one of the side streets a couple of minutes walk away" He pointed off in the distance, clearly having a rough understanding of where it was. "If you follow me we should be there in no time" the teen proudly proclaimed clearly having some confidence in the matter, or at least pretended so.

After setting off for a couple of moments, the knight had spoken up and asked Iri what he liked to drink, he scratched the back of his head as he continued walking a couple more steps before replying after a small sigh "Well, to be honest, I am just a fan of water. I get teased a little because it is so boring, but it is what I really like." he turned his head, grinning widely towards the man.

He continued to lead the way for several more minutes as they continued their chat, leading them down several sides streets before the cafe in question came into view. It was a relatively small building, that's seating spilt out into the already narrow sidestreet, though complete empty devoid of even a single customer.

Merrick Sato

M

PH8Crv1.png

loCyN9g.png

UET4Gi4.png

If there was something to be said of Padawan Tuteru from the outset - a distinct first impression, if you will - it would be that the teen was much more cheerful than his own two children of about the same age. Maybe it had something to do with his being their father, though it could have much more to do with the relatively recent upheaval in their lives, and the loss of the only home they knew, even if going to the Praxeum was the plan all along for the two of them, at the time.

"Good, lead on," he replied to Iri's suggestion to follow. As the got a short distance away from the temple, the structures began to look less and less affected, but few beings had repopulated the temple district even this long after the attack. "Water is the best choice," though it could be gained from many sources aside from pure water, itself, "Most people, I've found, don't drink nearly enough," but that was an age-old problem, with many societies spoiled for choice, and some faced with scarcity by the nature of their planetary biome, "but you'll find no teasing for such healthy choices, from me."

Just like he schooled his own children in how to properly bicker - personal attacks were frowned upon. When they got to the empty café, Merrick was struck by how unusual the scene would otherwise be within the Temple District, which tended to be bustling with Jedi, support staff, and other business in better times... but congregating in large numbers for a prolonged period of time carried the inherent risk of what happened here. Approaching the door and entering with a modest chime announcing his and his padawan's presence, Merrick wondered if they were getting enough business; it was so quiet the refrigeration fans could be heard.

"Hello?" He called, which seemed to provoke a low creak, the shuffling of feet, a muted bang, and a string of wobbling curses, before the proprietor shouted a 'be right there!' in an accent he couldn't place. Coruscant drew in all kinds, from all corners of the galaxy. "Thirsty?" he asked in an aside to Iri, just as the swinging doors to the back-end pushed out, and swayed back and forth in the wake of a tall, elderly man with weathered skin that spoke of his being from elsewhere.

The man peered over the counter, and gave some approximation of a smile: "Oh, don't think I've seen your faces before, but a Jedi's a Jedi, I guess, and you both look it," he said with a light, though tired, chuckle, "What'll it be?"

Merrick gave a cordial smile of his own, "Just a cup to go of whatever's brewing. Black, please," and the proprietor nodded, then turned his sunken-eyed gaze to Iri, "And you, young man? Anything you like?"

loCyN9g.png

lKC80sY.png

Iri Tuteru

I

Iri seemed to be enjoying his trip out of the temple, casting his mind back he could not remember the last time he left the ruins of what was a great Jedi enclave on Coruscant. "I am relieved to hear that Master Sato," Iri replied at the mention of being teased by his peers. Though, he had not expected that a Jedi Master like himself would seek pleasure in teasing a young padawan many decades more young than himself. The grin that was plastered on his face never left, not even for a moment.

As they entered into the cafe off the beaten path, the temperament of Iri never once changed, he was a giddy kid that was naive to the world around him, a fresh breeze to those that had been tainted by the constant wars that had plagued the galaxy over the last few generations. His ears would peek as the door chimed to announce their entry. As his Master called out, Iri would echo his words, calling out towards the cafe staff "Hello?.."

He had frequented this place many times in his past, though this was the quietest he had seen it in a while, abnormally quiet. He would smile as he greeted the new worker. "What happened to the old couple that normally runs this place during the week? Have they gone on holiday for a while?" he would ask, try to understand the change in staff.

The worker would let out a coarse chuckle as he replied to the padawan. "Off visiting a relative, I am the proprietor of this cafe. They just work here most days."

Iri would nod his head as the man spoke, a small smile forming on his lips. "Ah.. I see." He would glance to his Master as he ordered a cup of the latest brew, before he turned to meet his own gaze. "I'll take the usual then- I mean, just a glass of water." He would scratch his head as his cheeks flushed red, of course, the owner would have no idea what he usually had; after all he had never met him before. Iri cast his gaze around the empty tables within the cafe, before moving over to one beneath a fan and sitting down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom