Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Nellogant Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
(Apex predator species of the planet)
57395b570bef7b4db669078d05631927.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: To create a predatory beast that can serve as a warbeast, a pit beast (think Rancor's and Hutts), as well as one of the primary threats of a custom planet(WIP Planet Name: Nellogant).

Image Credit: "Dragon Lair" by Soheil Danesh

Canon: N/A

Links: N/A

GENERAL INFORMATION

Name: Nellogant Dragon

Designation: Semi-Sentient

Origins: Nellogant (planet), Crystal Layer (deepest habitable zone)

Average Lifespan: 75 (Pup:0-1 years, Adolescent: 2-20 years, Adult: 21-50 years, Ancient: 51+)

Estimated Population: Rare

Description: Quadrupedal scaled behemoths. The Nellogant Dragon has a towering body, elongated and sharp teeth, massive claws for massive paws, powerful limbs and tail, and bio-luminescence within the four eyes and between plates on its neck.

PHYSICAL INFORMATION

Breathes: Type II & Type III Nitrogen-rich atmospheres (above 90% nitrogen content), any lower causes the Nellogant Dragon to suffer the effects of minor to severe altitude sickness. The Nellogant Dragon is unable to breathe anything lower than 70% nitrogen content. While the Nellogant Dragon could technically survive on a Type I atmosphere that is like Earth's (70% nitrogen content), it would suffer symptoms of major altitude sickness as the density of nitrogen is well below what the Nellogant Dragon's needs.

Average Height of Adults: 5.5 Meters at the shoulders (doubled at Ancient)

Average Length of Adults: 10 Meters from nose to tail tip (doubled at Ancient)

Skin color: Muted shades of green and gray are common. Full black or full white are extremely rare and are considered mutations. With such a small population there may be one or the other every couple of hundred years naturally.

Hair color: N/A

Distinctions:
  • Males have a bright orange-red spectrum of bioluminescence along the neck and face.
  • Females have a deep purple-blue spectrum of bioluminescence along the neck and face.
  • Most pregnant females will hunt in the Hearth layer of the planet
  • Most males hunt between the Surface layer and Hearth layer at all times
  • There are no regional color differences, however those Dragons who were born in the Crystal Layer often have stronger luminescence.

Races: N/A

Force Sensitivity: All

Strengths:
  • Force Immune: Nellogant Dragons' bodies exude a destabilizing effect on force based powers. Much like the Ysalamari, but restricted to their own body, and just centimeters away. Nellogant Dragon hide does not grant force immunity, that is a trait that is exclusive only to living specimens.
  • Force aware: Nellogant Dragons can detect beings that are strong in the force from great distances away. The accuracy of their detection scales with how far away the embodiment of the force is from the Dragon.
  • Keen Senses: Nellogant Dragons have an excellent sense of smell; they are able to detect the scent of blood and body odor from great distances.
  • Thick Scales: They are covered in small, tightly packed scales. These scales can diffuse blaster bolts, provide modest protection against piercing and slashing weapons, and can take a strike from a lightsaber.
  • Infrared Vision: Nellogant Dragons' eyes are highly receptive to Infrared light in addition to the standard visible light spectrum.
  • Immense Strength: Nellogant Dragons are monstrous creatures that can give a Rancor a run for its money.
  • Rundown: Nellogant Dragons are very quick once they build up speed and can clear large obstructions in a single bound.
  • Regenerative: Nellogant Dragons heal at an increased rate. They are able to heal grievous wounds in a few weeks and regrow entire limbs in two to three months.

Weaknesses:
  • Wild: Nellogant Dragons are impossible to train unless they are raised from a pup.
  • Ravenous: Nellogant Dragons are seemingly always hungry and if left in a starved state they will rampage.
  • Cavernous Origins: Nellogant Dragons despise bright light. Bright light acts as a deterrent, though it will not stop a rampaging Nellogant Dragon. This includes Force Light's general emitting of light, but not the paranormal effects.
  • Nitrogen Rich: Nellogant Dragons are home to the planet Nellogant, a planet whose atmosphere is nearly entirely comprised of Nitrogen. Oxygen rich or otherwise Nitrogen deprived atmosphere will cause the Dragon to suffocate.
  • Territorial: Nellogant Dragons do not get along with each other outside of mating. Nellogant Dragons do not do well in confined or constantly changing spaces; this will cause them to become enraged.
  • Rampage: Large amounts of damage, a period of starvation, or a combat situation will cause the Nellogant Dragon to become enraged. During this time only an owner who has imprinted with the Dragon as a pup is somewhat safe from its wrath.
  • Internal Furnace: Nellogant is a tundra planet, as such the Nellogant Dragon has evolved to have an impressively high internal body temperature fueled by its constant consumption of biological material. While they are all but immune to immense cold, moderate heat is severely uncomfortable, and high heat can quickly become lethal within a day to two days of exposure.

CULTURE

Diet: Primarily Carnivorous but can digest flora when necessary (think of bears)

Communication: Growls, roars, clicking, body language, and marking stones/trees for territory.

Technology level: N/A

Religion/Beliefs: N/A

General behavior: Highly aggressive, territorial, Nocturnal, solitary hunters. Bioluminescent organs can flash much like cuttlefish for mating purposes or for a sign of dominance.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Known:

The Nellogant Dragon has situated itself as the apex predator of the planet Nellogant. While research into Nellogant's wildlife is ongoing, it is a reasonable assertion to believe that nothing is more dominate in the ecosystems than the Nellogant Dragon. Little is known about how the Nellogant Dragon came to be and if it is an engineered beast or an awe-inspiring product of natural evolution. Due to the rarity of this creature, It is highly unlikely to stumble across a Nellogant Dragon and even less likely to find a breeding pair or a deserted pup.

Undiscovered origins:

The Nellogant Dragon is the end result of hundreds of thousands of years on a harsh planet and the influence of dark-side energy. Within the deepest layers of the planet Nellogant lay an old holdout of dark-side practitioners. After hundreds of years of dark-side acolytes training in the dark-side and dark-side rituals within this subterranean place of worship, a force nexus was unintentionally created at this site. The Force Nexus poisoned the life around it and forced those creatures that survived to adapt to the strong presence. While many lifeforms died outright or became corrupted, the Nellogant Dragons endured.

Contrary to what may be assumed, the Nellogant Dragon is not an incarnation or mutation of the dark-side, but a creature that has evolved adaptations to resist the tainting presence. Not much is known about the dark-side cult and if it still exists, however the potency of the force nexus has dwindled. Unlike the Force Nexus the Nellogant Dragons have not lost their potency and have maintained their immunity to being influenced by the force, regardless of its alignment. Nellogant Dragons have a strong disdain for the Force and see creatures or objects that are imbued with the Force as threats as well as prey. The adaptation and evolution of the Nellogant Dragon as a predator coupled with the type of beings that it sees as prey options is a plausible explanation for the disappearance of the dark-side cult.

[member="Valdus Bral"]

I need you to remove your spoiler first at the bottom. You can leave it just as a note, or, ideally, incorporate any of the relevant parts into the sub itself. Either is acceptable.

I also need you to fill out this:

Origins: [ This can be a planet (canon or Chaos canon sub), a company's lab, a region of space, extra-galactic, etc. Provide a link if applicable. ]

and this

Distinctions: [ Describe the unique physical traits that define what they are and set them apart from more common species like humans. Be sure to include any differences between male and female, as well variations between differing regional groups if any, and characteristics that denote a matured or aging specimen. ]

Valdus Bral

[member="Irajah Ven"]

I've removed the spoilers. I tried to use them to reduce clutter, I'll keep away from them in the future.

I took the time to flesh out ideas that I had before involving distinctions and the origin planet, not sure how I missed those categories.

[member="Valdus Bral"]

Okay so before we go into any suggestions related to balance, there are a couple of issues here that need to be sorted out.

You as a player do not set board rules. You may not require an RPJ to police your submission to your satisfaction, nor may you add things to the Restricted materials list. Those are the purview of board staff. If a submission is abused in an RP and reported, then it will be handled by staff, but only in how it is breaking the rules of Chaos, not because someone doesn't think another RPer has 'done the work' to get something.

It is highly unlikely to stumble across a Nellogant Dragon and even less likely to find a breeding pair or a deserted pup. It is suggested that if you are intent on being in possession of a Nellogant Dragon that you make a substantial effort in doing so through a roleplay thread and then submitted to a roleplay judge for quality --if help is needed in setting a scene of Nellogant or to increase authenticity of obtaining a living Nellogant Dragon (or pup), then message me and we will get a thread setup.
'and then submitted to a roleplay judge for quality' - Remove this line entirely, that is not their job. You *may* suggest people obtain this species through an RP thread but they are under no obligation to do so. I would suggest however that you simply put the first sentence somewhere into the submission and remove the rest. That is not a requirement, but the removal of RPJs looking over potential finding threads *is*.

Lastly, Nellogant Dragon hide does not grant force immunity, that is a trait that is exclusive only to living specimens. However, Nellogant Dragon hide/scales are a direct upgrade to Armorweave. As Nellogant Dragon's are a Rare species, this material should be restricted to Unique submissions only and require a thread in how the hide was obtained.
The first line is fine and should be worked into the submission. Everything else needs to be removed. Making a material is outside the realm of Codex- if you wish to you may submit it through Factory, using the Material Template. The last line is outside of your jurisdiction as a player.

Valdus Bral

[member="Irajah Ven"]

I am aware that I do not have the ability to force RPJs and/or players to do anything, every comment was made as a suggestion with the word "suggest" in it, but I have removed the notes entirely. There is 0 reference about RPJ's or player suggestions now.

I moved the line about the hide not granting force immunity to the Force Immune strength bullet point in italics.

[member="Valdus Bral"]

Thank you.

I can, and will, approve this as is if you wish. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that this submission is highly unbalanced. With many strengths that can be exploited in PvP and very few weaknesses that can be exploited in the same way, I'd be happy to break some stuff down and make suggestions to get this more balanced if you are interested in that, or if you want to make some tweaks yourself. If you don't want to, you are not required to with the new rules set up, but if there is an issue in RPs the submission may get pulled.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Valdus Bral

[member="Irajah Ven"]

The power is the reason is why I suggested so much verification. The entire idea behind this submission is not actually for PvP but as the subject of a PvE monster for hunting, a boss monster so to say. The planet Nellogant and the other two planets that I have not yet submitted (Xeonlo & Behhemon) are long term projects with the goal to create a naturally challenging and fun target for exploration and hunting threads.

It is intentionally unbalanced so it is capable of not being trivialized by the scale of power available to players. I am hoping that the extremely specific circumstances in which a Nellogant Dragon can actually survive or at least perform at its peak, is rare enough to act as some insurance that the creature is more trouble than it is worth to attempt to transport it off world and then use it in combat.

If you have some suggestions with what I said in mind, I am entirely open to them. Though I hope my explanation satisfactory to explain why I put forward such a blatantly over powered submission. The only part of the submission that is intended to leave that planet is the hide, which you've noted that I need to apply for separately as a material.

Edit:

I do not have an issue with players having one and I would like to see how some may use it as a pit beast, sort of like the Hutts used Rancors, or have a Nellogant Dragon as some sort of living family heirloom. However, I do not want this creature to be as easy to get nor as common to have as Rancors. I am hoping that people will play up just how big of a risk it is to bring their dragon to a battle and to be responsible when using it by accepting that the dragon is not immortal and can very well die to war machines.

I have not been in this community as long as you have so if you believe that this will eventually get exploited, then like I said I am open to suggestions on how to further make that unlikely. The only potential way I can see this being an issue is if someone were to take over the planet Nellogant and then have to defend that planet from an invasion. Otherwise, the Dragon would likely need to wear some sort of mask in order to not suffocate - which would be a decent sized target to hit.

[member="Valdus Bral"]

Alright I've mulled over this and honestly if this is your intent? That's what it is. Any suggestions I would make *will* be with the focus of balancing. Not in line with your intention.

The only thing I'm going to ask is that you sort out this:

Breathes: Nitrogen rich atmospheres (Earth, Titan, etc. are all well above 70% Nitrogen atmospherically, nitrogen thought to be abundant on habitable planets)

Your planet is listed as Type II and Type III. Which is *not* earth by the star wars types. The majority of habitable planets are Type I. So I want you to clarify here that this is 'Type II/Type III that are nitrogen rich', since that is the info you have in your planet sub, or clarify your planet sub if what you mean are 'normal' atmospheres.

Valdus Bral

[member="Irajah Ven"]

That part was a fragmented piece of the drafting process I overlooked. Effectively it's talking about how the Nellogant Dragon can breathe on Earth, or on Type 1 planets, but it would be suffering the effects of minor to severe altitude sickness (instead of a lack of oxygen density it is a lack of nitrogen density).

How does this look?

Breathes: Type II & Type III Nitrogen-rich atmospheres (above 90% nitrogen content), any lower causes the Nellogant Dragon to suffer the effects of minor to severe altitude sickness. The Nellogant Dragon is unable to breathe anything lower than 70% nitrogen content. While the Nellogant Dragon could technically survive on a Type I atmosphere that is like Earth's (70% nitrogen content), it would suffer symptoms of major altitude sickness as the density of nitrogen is well below what the Nellogant Dragon's needs.

[member="Valdus Bral"]

Much clearer, thank you, and it also helps the related weakness show as an actual weakness, rather than how it was reading before, so that is also good.

Alright. With the understanding that if this gets abused in an RP it will be pulled for review, and an obligatory 'use it wisely'.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom