Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech N0-GR3 Matter Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Manufacturer: Silk Holdings[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Model: N0-GR3 Matter Transmitter[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Affiliation: Closed-Market (ask first)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Modularity: No[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Production: Semi-unique[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Material: Exotic electronics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Short-range matter transmitter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]The matter transmitter can send objects through a one-meter-radius aperture to another such aperture. Its maximum range is from point to point on a single planet or in its orbit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Allows near-instantantaneous transit between two dedicated modules.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Short range. Maximum range is across a planet or from planet to orbit.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Absolute maximum aperture radius: one meter. This is not suitable for deploying armies, tanks, etc. It's for individuals or small teams.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Requires two dedicated modules, as described below: useless for reaching any location which doesn't have one.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=14.6667px]Can link quickly within pairs or small groups, but heavy encryption and authentication protocols necessitate a half-hour wait for a module to link with a new module.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Each module is significantly bulkier and more power-intensive than the original technology. Must be installed on a planetary surface, or a station/vehicle/starship at least 80m along its largest dimension.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Transmits matter through subspace. Therefore, intense subspace jamming significantly increases the risk of...errors. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Thermal shields, standard particle shields, and standard deflector shields (as they have a particle shield component) will block the transmission. Should one of those shield types come between the endpoints, the endpoint modules will automatically refuse to link, preventing transmission. If a manual override connects the endpoints anyway, the transmission will never arrive - a chilling fate and a serious risk.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Doesn't permit transmission of anything other than objects. For example, send a probe through and it will have to physically return to report, instead of communicating from the other end of the connection.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Heaven help you if you’re using this while your ship gets hit with ion cannon fire.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]This technology hails from the farthest reaches of the Rishi Maze, a distant and largely uncharted companion galaxy. Silk Holdings HALCYON space trains run across the Maze’s frontier and serve as points of reference for free traders. One such trader swapped this technology for an estate on Kothlis and enough fuel and food to get there. Its original source is unknown​. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The primary function of this technology is to facilitate near-instantaneous priority transport between distant points on large starships and stations. [/SIZE] It offers an emergency evacuation option for crewers who may literally be kilometres from the nearest escape pod. It can save significant time when traveling from a starship to orbit, and keep a priority traveler from needing a risky shuttle ride.

[SIZE=11pt]This technology has nothing to do with the Celestials, Gree, Kwa, or Rakata (all of whom used somewhat comparable but vastly more powerful systems). It is not a stabilized hyperspace wormhole, colloquially known as a stargate. It cannot be scaled up in any way (aperture radius, range, production level, etc.). [/SIZE]

Travis Caalgen

T
Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Understandably, I am a bit hesitant with this technology. However, you have placed significant weaknesses for a very short wave transmission of technology.

I'd prefer that each be coded for specific use on a pair of these modules. IE, to make it work, it has to be linked through established encryption codes and securities as an added feature. I would not want to see the random linking of any fast track transmitters that can link with any one at any time from planet to planet without taking the time to go through the security procedures and confirm link.

I am not comfortable at limited production. Could you possibly drop this down to a numbered semi unique? I rather this not be technology that is easily attainable, and approval of this could potentially give precedence for future endevours. It is not the sort of technology I'd like to see become commonplace, as that could potentially lend itself more towards Star Trek than Star Wars.

Or, and here is the kicker, you can keep it at limited -- but add it to the Restricted Materials list making it require a development thread, with a max production of use on ships at Semi Unique.

[member="Cira"]

On the first point:
- Yeah, I can easily make it about dedicated pairs that need significant time to connect to others.
- 'Planet to planet' would never happen - the range is far too short. A planet to its moon, maybe, or to a ship entering orbit.

On the second point:
Semi-unique is fine by me.

On the third point (moot since I'm going semi-unique):
I think from what we've seen with void stone and other additions to the list, it's pretty clear that adding something to the list publicizes and popularizes it. For things like this, I'd suggest looking into alternative measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom