Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Sandman, Bring Me Some Feedback

tumblr_ovtj2fNz6x1wzoy9yo1_250.gif
Arcturus has been through a bunch of development as of late, he's finally coming into his own, and that always makes me eager to see how I'm doing. I'm always down for some constructive criticism and genuine feedback, so have at ye! Thoughts on him as a character? Where he's headed? What can I do to improve him, in terms of characterization, writing, or just plots in general?​
He's come a long way from his Slave days, now deep in his Father-and-Husband arc with some divinity being added to the mix ;)

Mmmkay, here's your real review:

Having watched/participated in Arc's development for the past 2 years, I can safely say he's my favorite character you've written and one of the more interesting and unique Sith I've seen on the site. I'm highly biased of course, but that's the way it goes lol.

All right, so here's the things I like about Arcturus Dinn, formerly known as Arcturus Thesh. He has a prototypical Sith origin story, but that's the only thing that's orthodox about him. He was a slave from a conquered world who was eventually taken in by a Sith Lord, a master who trained him and gave him a home. This made him grateful towards the Sith, despite them also being the ones who enslaved him. That sense of obligation to his master, mixed with genuine curiosity about various Sith fields of study, kept him under the sway of the Dark Side even though in many ways it is contrary to his nature - he is, or was, rather kind for a Sith. Some might say that this is paradoxical or contradictory, or complain that Arc was never "evil enough" to be a Sith - to which I say that is a tired argument which has pushed many great writers away from writing Sith characters, myself included. You've talked to me about how you dislike writing Sith characters because of how nasty they are expected to be, and that part of you seemed to wish that Arc had switched sides and become a Jedi. But I still like the more contradictory or paradoxical elements of his character - he's a Sith, but he's not inherently evil.

Although I will say, I think you've finally reached a point where Arc is sufficiently fallen and all those worries about him not being Sith-y enough are moot. A curse may have pushed him into eating people, but he has since accepted that part of himself. He even revels in it to a certain extent, much like how he adapted to the Netherworld and to godhood. If I'm to take the theme song you chose for him as a statement piece about what his character is really about ("I'll Keep Coming"), then the core element of Arc's character is that he adapts. When things go wrong, he gets back up and finds a way to make things work. Or at the very least, he survives.

I don't really have much to criticize. My complaints are mainly centered around issues that arose due to stuff you either have no control over (factions dying, lost muse, IRL stuff), or which I am also guilty of (limiting a character's interactions to only certain writers whom you trust). So here's to another 2 years of roleplaying! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom