Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morna's Tri-Shot.

41MdL2vC7xL._SX385_.jpg

Intent: A ranged weapon for Morna to give him an advantage in battle.
Development Thread: Working on it.
Hero Unit: Would this be considered a hero unit?
Manufacturer: Morna
Model: Flare Shot.
Affiliation: Morna
Modularity: no
Production: Unique
Material: Songsteel for Barrel and firing mechanics. Leather hand grip and electromagnetic grip
Description: The gun is going to be made by shaper forces. The desgin is much after a revolver. There are three seprate Cylinders that are parred with a single barrel. when the user wants to switch from a lower caliber round to a higher round, they would twist the barrels with the cylinders at the same time. (switching from Pistol rounds to rifle rounds, and long range rifle rounds.) The Charm piece on the grip of the gun is a pendant that belonged to his mother.
Classification: Slugthrower/Blaster
Size: Handheld
Length: 0.6 meter.
Weight: 4.7 Kg
Ammunition Type:
First barrel is slugthrower, bullet, frag, (small round)
Second barrel is slugthrower, Bullet, or frag round and buckshot. (Medium sized round)
Third barrel is Slug thrower, bullet (large caliber round.)
Ammunition Capacity:
First barrel, 15
Second barrel, 10
Third barrel, 6
Range:
First barrel, 100 meters
Second barrel, 300 meters
Third barrel, 500 meters.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
If this was a pure energy weapon, blaster/ion blaster/disruptor all using the same three power sources I might have accepted it, depending on the description. But as it stands this just doesn't make sense to me. I'll leave this here if you want to edit like I said above, but you'd have to wow me with the description.

Alright well I was just going for something different than just all blaster tech. Thats why I did the slugthrower and the blaster mixed. The purpous of the tri barrels is for different ranges and power of the shots. Not for different types of blasters put into one.

Range: First barrel, 100 meters
Second barrel, 300 meters
Third barrel, 500 meters.

I would rather keep the slugthrower tech on there. So what if I were to take away the blaster Barrel and replace it with just a smaller Caliber Slughthrower? And I can give a better Description if needed.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
It isn't the mixing blaster and non blaster that bothers me about this weapon. It is the fact that there is no plausible way described for this ammunition to work. Also a disruptor isn't a type of blaster. It is a disruptor that disintegrates people. I could see two energy weapons with a rotating magazine of three power packs. So something akin to a blaster with 90 shots (30 in 3 power packs) and a disruptor with 1 shot per power pack, and then a small slugthrower, maybe a shotgun with a single shot in the third barrel. Something like that I can see myself approving.

Also because you might find it interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver 9 round revolver with a shotgun barrel made during the Civil War.

If you look in the picture it doesn't have only one stationary Cylinder for the rounds to be in. there are three of them. Each barrel is made specifically for one and only one cylinder. So you can have three loaded cylinders for a single gun and not have to reload. The cylinders only hold that one type of ammo in that single cylinder. (1 for pistol rounds, 1 for rifle like round, and one for long range rifle rounds) SO when I say that the barrels twist the cylinder twist with the barrel it was made for.

In essence its making a pistol, rifle, and a sniper into one gun. (though its not as powerful as a sniper by itself)

And I think Ill add that to the Description. (important information.)

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
Alright I'm tired of arguing with you. This isn't possible. I own guns, was in the army and have a little knowledge of firearms. This is not possible. I tried to offer alternates that would have the same effect and instead of listening and having a rational discussion you argue with me and insist on the original material. Denied.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
As I mentioned in the Second Chance thread, "sniper rifle levels of accuracy and power are not feasible with such a short barrel and a pistol grip, which would break the wielder's wrist when fired."

Alright Ill change that But what would I replace it with? I would prefer not to have a slug scatter for the third barrel. IF you see the three different barrels have three different ranges and power loads. So could I make the third barrel have a assault rifle round, Second barrel to have a high powered pistol round, and the first barrel to be a small pistol round.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Now, your image is somewhat unclear to me. It looks like this is, in principle, similar to a double-barrelled shotgun with barrels of different sizes. Is that accurate?

No the barrels are the same length. It is the shot power that Im talking about.

First barrel= small pistol round
Second barrel= large pistol round
Third barrel= rifle round.

You said that the sniper round would blow my hand off. So im changing the power of the shots so its more reasonable.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
There are several reasons why this got rejected. The sniper ammunition was only one of them.

First and foremost, it's an anime clone. Now, speaking as the man who brought the sonic screwdriver to the board, it's not always impossible to import other sorts of identities, but when I did that, I was very careful to situate it within the realm of existing Star Wars technology, to minimize the breaking of the Star Wars 'feel'. This doesn't feel like Star Wars, it feels like anime, and it's pretty blatant about it, as well as recognizable.

Second, slugthrowers are weak against modern armor; that's why everyone switched to blasters five thousand years ago.

Third, what you have here is a gun that fires three shots and then has a massive reload time. I have a character who uses a powerful double-barreled shotgun, and he can only fire every other post because of how long it takes to reload. With sniper and shotgun rounds -- shotgun rounds accurate to 300m, somehow -- this was ridiculously overpowered; with pistol rounds, it's ridiculously underpowered.

Fourth, the ranges are way out of whack for a pistol. An off-centre gun like this just won't be accurate. Your effective ranges are going to be far shorter than 100 metres. With training, effective range for a pistol is likely to be closer to 30-40m. Your accuracy probably won't vary between barrels.

Fifth, the revolver conceit only plays lip service to an actual revolver. In order to be feasible, it couldn't rotate and would need to hinge out the side in one solid piece. However, it's so large, poorly enclosed and asymmetric that making a tight fit between the farthest barrel of the gun and its adjoining round would be difficult to engineer. Any particularly hard impacts, dirt or clogging would slip the farthest barrel out of alignment and cause a deadly misfire -- and with that poor of an enclosure, it would take your hand off.

Sixth, the top thumb hammer isn't realistic given the average length of a thumb and the high top ridge on the back of the grip.

Seventh, if constructed from weapons-grade metal, this gun would weigh far more than is practical for a handgun.

I clearly see now what you are talking about. There is some of the topics that you brought up that I would argue But I dont feel like doing that. So I would like to ask that this be Denied. If its going to be a problem with it looking to much 'non-Star Wars' and being impractical then I wont make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom