Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More than Matter

ArmaTech on Concord Dawn wasn't the largest operation. Indeed it operated a corporate city and maintained a fairly large population of workers within the city. Months ago when the idea had presented itself ArmaTech had redesigned its operations to conform to this, especially following the forcible removal of ArmaTech form the Republic. Being sponsored by the Mandalorians, and having ties with the Silver Jedi and the Techno Union allowed ArmaTech to remain fairly Neutral. Only the hatred of Sith, a trait I shared, really spilled into the business side of the operation.

We were working on increasing the production of the Paragon-class Personal Energy Shields to fulfill ever larger orders, and perhaps a new contract with the budding Imperial Remnant. The powerful molecular shield and particle shield had become more necessary to be fielded to larger numbers and newer designs that were being worked on. The Paragon had always been intended to be an Elite option, and now it became obvious that we needed to make more.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Of course they needed to make more, ArmaTech had agreed to spare several of their new Paragon class shields for use by the Imperial Commandos. The contract was obviously in everyone's best interests, and not for any of the wrong reasons. After all, it was money for ArmaTech and added protection for the brave souls employed in the Storm Commando Division. Not to mention the fact that such business relations could only increase relations between the Imperial Remnant and the Mandalorians. They already have a tentative alliance since the days of the Empire's foothold in the Eastern side of the galaxy. The galactic disappearing act and Sith conquest of Crina had pushed the Empire to the Galactic West as they searched for a new home, but that was no reason to let friendships die out. Not when the Empire was looking into joining the war efforts against the Sith advance.

Making the trip to Concord Dawn herself, as Alva began taking more command responsibilities in the Imperial Structure rather than just leading a Squadron, the crinan woman stepped off the ramp of the Imperial Transport she had arrived in as she awaited ArmaTech's representative or guide to take her to their CEO. Admittedly she was impressed with the idea of the corporate cities they had put into effect, though she had a feeling they were also rather restrictive in a larger scale.

A secretary would greet miss Calvarona where she landed and lead her into the Primary Foundry. Here is where I kept the main administrative office on the planet. A panoramic window overlooked the foundry, where tanks could be seen being built on an enormous assembly line taking them from bare parts to finished product. Deep pits flanked the winding assembly lines, and held in bracers were the bodies of Mythosaurs waiting for their legs to be attached at the seams of their armor. Mammoth weapons stretched throughout the two kilometer foundry, carried by overhead gurneys or on repulsor sleds. Indeed, this foundry was much like one that might have been found on Geonosis centuries ago. I had requested as such. The Geonosians excelled in efficiency, so it made sense to build off their successes.

She was lead into the plain office where I stood, awaiting her. The Empire had never been a great ally of the Mandalorians, but never had they been a great enemy to my recollection. "Miss Calvarona, or do you prefer to be addressed with a military title?" I asked and greeted her at once, walking to her, nodding respectfully and extending my hand. "I'm glad you could arrive and discuss the new additions to the factory. I am pleased to announce that the expansion has already begun."

[member="Alva Calvarona"]

[member="Draco Vereen"]

The view was quite stunning, though in a way it disgusted the crinan woman. Hailing from her world where its technology did not match its social structure, the view was a perfectly beautiful display of nature. The mountains and plains of Crina, especially from the balcony of the Palace or from one of its many gorgeous cities like Cosmina, were of a breathtaking variety. To see something, while incredible for its mere industrial capability, so lacking in vibrant life, just felt a bit wrong. Of course she had no intention to insult the work or the efforts here, privately though she would never choose to live in such a place was all. It certainly had a powerful feel at the least, a good reminder for anyone looking out just how much the man in charge commanded.

In all truth the Mandalorians as a whole didn't sit well with Alva either, but she certainly didn't hate them. Not like she did the Sith or the scum of that cult on the edge of the galaxy. The mandos just seemed too rough, though considering they valued strength she did hold a lot of respect for them. "Miss Calvarona works, though if you do prefer you may alternate Captain in place of Miss if that helps you. As for coming, don't worry it was no bother, we're quite pleased by the offer ArmaTech made to us and we enjoy furthering our relations with your people. Having had peaceful borders until the Sith disturbed that quiet clam has stuck with us. Even with new distance we wish to keep up our friendship as it were. So I can see why the business arrangement works on so many levels, not least of which is the Mandalorians ability to equip allies against common threats."

I nodded, "Miss it is. I prefer to stay away from military ranks myself." I explained. I had preferred them at one point, but my exposure to the warrior culture had broken me of this habit. ArmaTech had some buildings with excellent views of nature, but not here. This was a place of industry. Weapons meant for bombarding planets were built here. Siege engines of incredible size, companies of tanks. It was more important that the administrator of the facility, or in this case Alva, understand the power of a single building in a single city. It was too impose the awe of the creation of such weapons on such a scale. To humble the man behind the desk.

This time however we were here because it was not enough. An addition was being added to the complex to fulfill the need for more. More weapons, more guns, more armor, more shields. Shields being the focus of this project. "We hope to expand the Paragon-class significantly with this operation. That will allow us to supply you with the equipment you have asked for, and allow ArmaTech to expand its product line. True we are now hammered on both sides, and any friend in an ally on the spot. It was one of the reasons I extended such a deal. However in addition to supplying you with Paragon shields, I also extend my personal abilities. There are several you might be interested in." I smirked. Interested, no. I was taken and loyal. Did she need to know that. Not right now. "But in this case I refer to my abilities as a soldier and commander on the field. My own troops require combat experience anyway." With ArmaTech operating a Private Military Contractor subsidiary it was necessary for me to keep fighting. Keep pushing forward.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Personally, coming from nobility herself on her homeworld, Alva was used to different titles as well so she also preferred keeping away from military ranks outside of combat or off of base. However, she didn't exactly have a title to use anymore, something which infuriated her and only served to add to her displeasure regarding the Sith occupation of Crina. Of course, furthering alliances with the Mandolorians and gaining much stronger equipment went a long way towards making one day defeating the One Sith and reclaiming the planet a reality. "The deal will be put to good use, as will the units of the Paragon Shields once you complete their production and extend operations to send the Empire some samples. Imperial Commandos already have some of the best equipment and armor available, but enhancing their shield units will make them that much better. Hopefully we'll see their kill count increase per soldier before they die. I assume they will also appreciate the enhanced life expectancy."

About his second offer though, Alva couldn't help but smirk at how. . . .childish it was. Well, not the real offer, it was useful, but in its delivery. She had just the way to respond to that as well. "As for. . .your abilities. Any Mandalorian Warriors aid is of course welcome, and we extend our support back to our allies in the Eastern Quadrants. No worries about a mix up either, even if I had misinterpreted what you said, I'd sadly have had to turn you down. My girlfriend would be displeased, not that she would have to worry. You're not my type."

"ArmaTech prides itself on leading the industry in personal protection. We revolutionized the industry twice already, and we will again. First we made Personal Energy shields that included Particle Shields in addition to the powerful ray shields, then we upgraded them, enhanced their resilience and replaced the ray shields with molecular shields. No one else has been able to accomplish this feat, and with more and more advancements in technology. The main reason for this increase in production is because we have recently added additional phrik mines allowing us to expand the production of the Immortal-class battle armor and as such we felt a need to increase production of its subsystems. Production increases will allow our allies to outlast the storm. Or at least that is the hope. Surviving the onslaught is just as important as beating it back." I said, not really a prepared speech. I had always believed the key to combat was simply outlasting your opponent. Its why I specialized in Force Disease. Its why I wore supremely protective armor and why I equipped my troopers with equally advanced armor and shields. Survival was key. I was also aware of the second rule of all combat. You must either adapt... or you perish.

"And my PMC would be honored to fight alongside the experienced Imperial Remnant soldiers in any coming battles. I must note, it is not a requirement that I lead them, and it is acceptable for them to be hired out to your organization if I am unavailable. Simply request a number of units through my office and they can be made available to you." I decided not to address the other statement. Mainly because it had been a simple, granted tasteless, joke. It warranted no further discussion.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Well, maybe they had gotten molecular shields on a personal energy shield, which was why they were so highly valuable, but Alva was personally going to remain dubious as to how effective the units were until they were put into use by the soldiers on the field. After all, there had to be power concerns, at least in some slight regard. However, she wasn't here to be a skeptic or complain or turn down any lucrative offers. No, that would be foolish and rude to her host. So instead the crinan woman merely listened as intentively and politely as possible while ArmaTech's head spoke of the corporation's accomplishments and goals. They were certainly impressive, but Alva was simply cautious about hubris. Murphey's Law wasn't something a person tempted after all.

"Well the offer will be kept in mind, though we will also juggle the logistical value of your PMC's offer as well. After all, the distance is great now, we wouldn't be able to call for help in the event of a surprise attack or the need to act of sudden information. However, with enough foreknowledge and time we could put in a request if we have the credits."

"Would you like to see the Paragon shields in action. I have shown them off before, but I wouldn't mind giving you a proper demonstration. You may borrow my Lightsaber for it if you need to." I lead her down into a testing range where there were always a few weapons lying around, and mild amounts of ammunition. On the work bench lay a single personal energy shield generator waiting for me. I picked it up and put it on, letting it rest on my belt and checking its power cells, making sure it was fully functional before returning my gave to the woman.

"Well, this is the Paragon-class Personal Energy Shield. In our own armor sets they are HUD controlled and internally mounted and protected by the armor, but they can be worn on a belt with no problems. This set is fairly Lightsaber Resistant. Even still, I would prefer you not try to impale me with it. My wife would be upset if you did." I said handing her the lightsaber and activating the shield to provide an adequate demonstration. And possibly build a level of trust, and it showed my trust in the equipment. The set was designed to survive dozens of heavy blaster bolts, shrapnel, and other such weapons, and if could be adjusted, as it was now, for boosted power to one type of shield, doubling its effectiveness at the cost of the other shield. It provided a very powerful defense if your opposition only had a single weapon.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

A demonstration was actually something Alva had intended to ask for at some point, however, she did raise her eye over the offer the man made about lending her a lightsaber to test it. For one she hadn't actually known many Mandalorians who used the force, after all they were quite proud as a deadly warrior people without having to rely on it. As for the rest, she was amused that ArmaTech's CEO was willing to put himself on the line for the demonstration of the shield unit. After following him down to a range where an array of equipment was sitting, the crinan woman couldn't keep the bemused expression off her face anymore as he put the Paragon product on his belt. "Then I suggest you stop performing the demonstrations yourself. Eventually someone will come along with a vendetta against you and you're giving them the perfect opportunity to run you through right here."

Not waiting for a reply though, maybe to scare the Mandolorian just a little bit though she didn't actually intend to harm the man at all, Alva swung the weapon offered to her around, bringing it crashing on the man's shoulder as the point of impact.

Demonstrations were always best when the product worked. In this case, this wasn't the first time I had tested the shield, and it had been used extensively in field already. Several warriors wore the shield in addition to their armor and weapons. Several units made use of the shield. The Storm Commandos she would be equipping this to had nothing to compare with it. Molecular shields were the best when connected to the powercell of a weapon, used to boost their output. It was the perfect defense. It protected and shielded its user and empowered them. I now hoped to use it in power armor to provide an energy boost to my very large blaster cannons and possibly even the Power Armor itself.

She slashed, but it wouldn't be the first time some had slashed. Granted the last time I had tested the shield had been against a trusted Jedi. This was slightly different. Even still I had several seconds before the shield would begin to pulse and flicker. Several deep breaths. Close Combat was fast and furious. This shield was a way to cover a warriors mistakes, but it was in no way invulnerable. As the shield started to fade I took a step back away from the blade and nodded. Better than basically every other shield on the market. "Well did you like what you saw?" I asked as I swapped the hot, overcharged powercell out for a fresh one. That was the problem, they needed to be connected to something that bleed off the power build up.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Alva watched the pseudo tug of war between the shield produced by the Paragon unit and the lightsaber she was given go at it. The crinan woman was trying to both apply force so that it was like a realistic blow, while also at the same time ensure once the shield did falter that she didn't accidentally strike the man who had offered himself up for the demonstration. In the end as the shield waned and ArmaTech's leader stepped away, the Imperial Officer deactivated the energy blade she had in her hand, satisfied with the test she was allowed to take part in. Knowing how Molecular shields worked, Alva had a fairly good guess that it would be used in conjunction with a special weapon or armor suit that would integrate the power fed in from whatever the shield absorbed.

However, she was mostly interested in its enhanced protective qualities for now. "Back on my homeworld energy shields were standard for all our soldiers since an incident of troops being gunned down before having a chance to even return fire left the government in shock at the time. They weren't molecular shields and they weren't up to par with the rest of the galaxy, but I wore that armor in several battles, and the shield saved my life a number of times against Sith knights. With a shield unit like this I could have taken double the blows before the power cells failed. So in truth, I have only one question. Where shall we finalize this business venture."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom