Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MMSW-33 Mayfire Grenade Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
p55w3Su.png
Image Source: Armored Core: Verdict Day
Intent: New weapons for factional growth.
Development Thread: I/N
Manufacturer: Ri'ess Regal Drives
Model: MMSW-33 "Mayrife" Grenade Rifle
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Picatinny top rail upgrade + Sights/Scopes
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel, Ceramic Padded Stock, Alusteel Tubes

Classification: Grenade Launcher
Size: Handheld

Length: 115.8 cm.
Weight: 19.2 kg.
Ammunition Type: 40x53mm grenades/detonators
Ammunition Capacity: 21 (5 per tube, 4 tubes, 1 chambered)
Effective Range:
700 m.
(max; effective range does not officially exist as grenades do not rely on kinetic energy to cause damage)
Rate of Fire: Semi-Automatic; 35-40 r/m
Special Features: None
Description: A a standard forty millimeter grenade launcher with a specially-rifled barrel and a high capacity wheel, though it is significantly heavier when fully loaded and is considered a Heavy weapon, requiring two hands and a stable or crouched stance to use.
Strengths:
  • (Redundant) Shoots grenades quickly and accurately
Weakness:
  • (Also redundant) Incredibly heavy for a firearm

RESEARCH REVIEW

WITHOUT DEV THREAD
  • Drop this down to a max ammunition of 5 per canon foundations on grenade launchers.
  • The average range for grenade launchers are the following : Optimum 75m to a max of 375m, with 500m being the max if it was a grenade launcher rifle attachment, please drop your range to a more reasonable one.
  • If this is a standard grenade launcher, then you will have to remove mention of a Thermal greande, as canon states that these devices were too big and heavy for standard grenade launchers. Specifically made thermal detonator launchers were created to use those specific type of ammunition. Please clarify.

WITH DEV THREAD
  • If you are attempting to design a grenade launcher that may use 12 standard grenades, I will request at least a 10 quality post dev thread for the R&D of this design, as there are no canon equivalents for a grenade launcher that can carry that many grenades. 21 is a bit too excessive.
  • Same changes and clarifications as stated above.

SUGGESTIONS

• Researching grenade launchers versions, the bulk of these were only able to contain 2 to 5 grenades at a time. This model you are attempting to produce has a total of 21. Are you attempting to go for a Tommy gun version of a grenade launcher?

Saera Willamina Savan

[member="Danger Arceneau"]
I took all of my research from real-life precedents.

That said, I'm willing to go with the dev thread but the idea of this was to make a heavy weapon that was not an ordinary infantryman weapon and had a high capacity. Also, tommy gun? Try revolver. Grenade revolver. :3 (But much slower than a revolver)

The weight, recoil, weight, size, and weight should be more than fair enough to facilitate the capacity that, realistically, that physical mass occupies. I'm even willing to make it heavier. I'm also willing to decrease the fire rate (even though there would be no technological reason for it). I would like a reassessment on capacity limit, though. (Edit: or maybe, just maybe, I'll reduce it to 16.)

If necessary, I can work out and list the mathematics for the length of the rifling, the muzzle velocity, revolutions per minute and weight to determine actual effective range (also, effective range means nothing on a grenade launcher since effective range is technically blast radius (as damage does not come from physical impact) and it's actual range is simply as far as it can lug a grenade).

Will Do:
+Remove ThermalDet
+Ten or more Post Dev Thread (even though this tech is technically many millennia old)
+Will tweak the range a bit (but not that low because grenade rifles with shorter barrels shoot further)
(reduced fire rate)
(increased weight)

Request Research On Before Finalizing Your Request:
-Realistic 40mm Ranges (not underslung, that's underslung, way smaller weapon)
-Weight and Size of 40mm grenades
-Rifling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_19_grenade_launcher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_mm_grenade
other weapon systems via Google

[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

I looked at regular grenade launchers and not just underslung -- max range for these is 500m and a max of 5 grenades -- for example:

If you are going for a revolver, then it will still have to be a lower capacity in ammunition if you are going for the typical two handed weapon. Unless this is on a weapon mount with the capacity to belt feed, I am now hesitant to allow the 12 ammo based on the MGL and will say that it will have to come down to a 5 ammo capacity.

So regardless, this will have to be dropped down to a 5 ammo capacity with the 40mm grenades.

• WITHOUT DEV THREAD
    Drop this down to a max ammunition of 5 per canon foundations on grenade launchers.
  • The average range for grenade launchers are the following : Optimum 75m to a max of 375m, with 500m being the max if it was a grenade launcher rifle attachment, please drop your range to a more reasonable one.
  • If this is a standard grenade launcher, then you will have to remove mention of a Thermal greande, as canon states that these devices were too big and heavy for standard grenade launchers. Specifically made thermal detonator launchers were created to use those specific type of ammunition. Please clarify.

WITH DEV THREAD
N/A

SUGGESTIONS

[*]

Saera Willamina Savan

[member="Danger Arceneau"]
I wasn't going for revolver either. It was analogous....

I'm not lowering the ammo count because I know what a 40mm feels like and weighs, and there is zero preventing 16 to 20 from being held in the given space (and while it would weigh a lot, it still wouldn't weigh more than man-portable grenade turrets). These are facts and I have not been given justification to go against these facts, some of which I've come to know firsthand.

It is for that reason that I ask you to Deny or Archive this so that I may redesign and resubmit it. I feel the requests you are demanding would too greatly alter the original submission anyways.

PS: For the record...
The range of the Mk-19 is over two kilometers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom