Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MMSP-01 MAC Gauss "Starkiller"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Onager.jpg

Image Credit: Onager MAC :: Halo Reach :: Bungie
Intent: To make RRDI's first ground- or ship-based weapon.
Developent Thread: None
Manufacturer: Ri'ess Regal Drives
Model: Mnenchei Monarchy Skunkworks Platform Magnetic Accelerator Cannon (MMSP-01 MAC)
Affiliation: The Confederacy of Independent States, Planetary Defense Market
Modularity: Can be refitted to mount on just about anything of size
Production: Minor Production (apx. 400)
Material: Durasteel, Duranium Coils, Depleted Uranium Rounds, Misc Electronics
Description: The MMSP-01 Magnetic Accelerator Cannon is a heavy Gauss cannon mass driver capable of throwing a solid munition at high rates of speed out of the firing platform. The round's immense speed ensures that a large transfer of energy occurs against the impacted medium, called displacement. The displacement of kinetic energy can cause massive damage to solid targets such as bunkers or ground installations, often leaving small craters behind, while conversely capable of withering away shields chunk by chunk and punching holes through a ships hull, ideally causing a critical event in the core it aimed precisely. Approximately three rounds can deplete the shields of an average Frigate/Light Cruiser, with rounds capable of exiting hulls of a Heavy Cruiser.
Coilgun_animation.gif

The firing process uses electromagnetism to fire a ferromagnetic-tungsten slug at high velocity. An extremely large current is put through the first Solenoid (coil of conducting wire). This creates a strong magnetic field which attracts the metal slug. As the slug passes into the solenoid, the solenoid is quickly turned off and the second solenoid, which is further up, is activated, this attracts the now high velocity metal slug just like the first solenoid. This process is repeated along the barrel of the cannon. By the time the slug is fired out the end of the barrel it has accelerated to a speed of approximately 2 kilometers per second.
Classification: Mass Driver
Size: Stationary or Ship-Mounted, 120x210mm Munition, (Counts as 5 Capital Guns)
Length: 26.3 meters
Weight: 126.5 metric tons (w/o ground platform)
Ammunition Type: Depleted Uranium Slugs
Ammunition Capacity: 80x2
Effective Range:
  • Space - Theoretical Infinite (beyond acute measurement)
  • Ground-Based - Apx. 60% Kinetic Energy @ Coruscant (1G./1s.a.) LaGrange Point

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]
  • Please compare your figures with this article.
  • This article and various canon sources demonstrate that a planetary hypervelocity cannon mount can puncture a hull, but cannot punch through a Star Destroyer
  • This weapon is too small to be a planetary main defense gun, as demonstrated here.
  • Your described effect is far, far more than equivalent to 5 capital guns.
  • If you want this ship-mounted, I need a minimum ship size that would mount it as part of a normal loadout, and a minimum ship size for a vessel that could mount it as its only weapon.

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Rasho the Hutt said:
This article and various canon sources demonstrate that a planetary hypervelocity cannon mount can puncture a hull, but cannot punch through a Star Destroyer
When it's moving at 30 k/s, it can puncture through just about anything. Even a grain of sand is incredibly destructive at that speed. xD
But I digress, it's been reduced to 2... for some odd reason.

Rasho the Hutt said:
This weapon is too small to be a planetary main defense gun, as demonstrated here.
See, I don't believe in that at all. That is, unless we're seeing the term "planetary defense" differently. I am seeing it as simply a way to describe the defense of a location that is grounded on a planet/moon. Regardless, a gun is a gun and if it can do harm in its current size, it doesn't need to be a behemoth to get that job done, as that's redundant.

Rasho the Hutt said:
Your described effect is far, far more than equivalent to 5 capital guns.
I'm going to need a suggestion range for equivalency, then.

Rasho the Hutt said:
If you want this ship-mounted, I need a minimum ship size that would mount it as part of a normal loadout, and a minimum ship size for a vessel that could mount it as its only weapon.
That would be determined by whatever capital gun equivalence this comes out to.

[member="Rasho the Hutt"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

You misunderstand; I was asking you to do further research, make educated guesses, and do the work yourself. And considering that Star Destroyer hulls can shrug off cataclysmic events, in the gigaton range, no, one primitive thirty-meter gun will not render thirty thousand years of military development obsolete. My apologies, but this submission is denied for refusal to make several required edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom