Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MK 8 Powered Armor

Section_8_Earth_by_Baldasseroni.jpg

Image Source: HERE
Intent: A custom powered armor suit for Ijaat to wage war in.
Development Thread: If Needed (Salvaged from THIS submission)
Manufacturer: Gotal'Veman/Ijaat
Model: MK 8
Affiliation: Personal
Modularity: Moderate (Weapons Slots)
Production: Unique
Material: Beskar
Classification: Variable Threat Response Powered Armor Suit
Weight: 40 KG (Unloaded) / 73 KG (Loaded)
Quality: 10
Strengths:

• Blaster, Slugthrower, Melee and Lightsaber resistant

• Thermal Resistance

• 3x Strength Enhancement / 3x Speed & Agility Enchancement
Weaknesses:

• Vulnerably to sonic attacks (Disrupts link between AI-Biot-Wearer

• Requires extensive training to fight in and is cumbersome(next to impossible) to use without AI to assist in operation

• Vulnerable to Sith Lightning, etc.. (Will cause disruption with AI/Neural uplink)

Special Features:

• Impact resistant

• Thermal resistant

• Blaster resistant

• Lightsaber resistant

• Highly protective

• Vacuum sealed

• Fused-Quartz Mesh (Electricity Resistance)

• Hafnium Powder (Heat Resistance)

• Environmentally sealed (on demand, 5x hours of 02 only)

• Repulsors and stabilizers to reduce weight of suit on wearer and stabilize it during actions like running and firing various equipped weaponry

• Various liquid cooling and heat-sink systems to keep homeostasis of wearer

• All systems slaved to neural processes of wearer via AI and biot uplinks (Controlled by thought)

• Can be fully commanded or used by AI for short period of time

• Able to freely use A-10 Shoulder Cannon

• Limited fly/enhanced jump via propulsion system

WEAPONS
*Hardpoints for 1x system(s) per (grappling hook, blaster... Rocket/missile system & flamethrower, dart launchers take .5 slots)

-Shoulder: A-10 'Akalenedat' Shoulder Mounted Mass-Driver Cannon
-Back: Steering Vanes and Thrusters to Improve Agility of Propulsion System, Mag-Clamp to hold weapon(s)
-Left Gauntlet/Wrist: ZX Miniature Flame Projector, MM9 Rocket System
-Right Gauntlet/Wrist: Ascension Gun w/ Liquid-cable launcher, Charric(SE-14r light repeating blaster)
-Right & Left Hand: M31 Tractor Wand & Pressor Wand
-Boots: Mag-lock/clamps in both boots with stabilizers to assist when firing shoulder weapon, etc..

Support Systems:

Description:
There is little to question that when Ijaat commits fully to war, it is a sight to behold. Whilst on raids and recon and the like, he relies on his sword and less obvious technologies, in the full on assault of an entrenched foe, things like this suit are his go to solution. Still armed and armored to the teeth, this suit is designed as a front line shock troopers first choice in response and threat elimination.

Originally designed as strength enhancing alone, and to be solely a tank, the power armor of old was repurposed in this variant, and retooled with new systems, downsized in weight and size to be more form fitting at the cost of some of his prodigious strength and endurance while in it. Now the suit contains several devices and assets that enhance speed and agility as well as strength, allow him a much more lethal delivery system to fit the strike style of the Galactic Alliance.

Outfitted with impressive on board weaponry and systems harkening back to his time in the army of his own people, it can be said to be reasonably ready for almost any threat thrown at it, though like most armors of it's type, there are weak points at the joints and other gaps, as well due to the interfaced nature of it and the adriel ooglith biot, sonic attacks and sith lightning or the like can disrupt the AI interface ability and thus slow autonomous control and functionality greatly, to the point of being slower than when the armor wasn't worn at all, and less strength than the wearers native state as well.

Primary Source/Inspiration:
OOC Note: Many thanks to [member="Draco Vereen"] for the massive input of advice on this suit. And [member="Captain Larraq"] as well.

*~ GENERAL FEATURES NOTE: Any modifcation or installation of different equipment will require a thread to develop said weapon/system and install it into the armor, consisting of a minimum of 10 posts. Switching out between two technologies (All of which shall be unique and only to function with this system) will require no more or less than 1 post dedicated to the action at any time, assuming the tech is within reasonable reach/distance to swap out.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Ijaat Akun"]
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you are taking a class 10 beskar suit of armor that weighs over 80 KG and reducing it in size and weight so that it is only 15, but retaining the same quality?

[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - Errrr.... Not quite that dramatic a reduction in weight originally, no m'am... I must have done my math wrong... I was intending it to be reduced quite drastically (the other suit was huge thick plates, this is substantially less weight, though still fully plated armor)... Shall we say something more along the lines of 40kg being fair and maintaining Class 10? I am primarily trying to keep it not so much a lumbering tank as the old suit was, where a full tilt run would result in barely walking fast >.<

[member="Ijaat Akun"]
I will accept a drop to 9 in quality at any weight below 50 KG, otherwise I would like to see a 10 post development thread (from anywhere between 30 KG and 40 KG) to maintain that class 10 quality. 40 KG is still going to be incredibly heavy, as well.

[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - Why does the weight have anything to do with quality? I've seen class 10 suits of beskar weighing a lot less than 50kg. I'm not trying to argue, but there already is a dev thread for Beskar/Power Armor done, and i'm salvaging that created piece, so further dev seems needlessly restrictive for 1 point in armor class.

Ijaat Akun said:
[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - Why does the weight have anything to do with quality? I've seen class 10 suits of beskar weighing a lot less than 50kg. I'm not trying to argue, but there already is a dev thread for Beskar/Power Armor done, and i'm salvaging that created piece, so further dev seems needlessly restrictive for 1 point in armor class.
Class 10 armor is the absolute pinnacle, top-tier, quality of armor. Stripping down that armor and reducing its size, weight, and so on, will cause a reduction in quality. A development thread will act as the smoothing over of any issues that might have arose from causing imperfections in the armor and vulnerability to form. Taking an armor and reducing its weight by half, which implies a significant reduction is plating, would be a huge step back in protection, beskar or not. The only reason I am asking for one for weights below 50 KG is because of the significant gap between the original and what is being requested here, if the original was closer to this size originally there wouldn't be any discrepancies.

[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - That is not how plate armor works... At all.... When you have massive 3"-4" plates and you shave them down and shape them as I am doing for this suit, there would be *no reduction* in quality appreciable in respect to protection from what it is designed against. The new suit might not stop an super laser or survive an orbital bombardment like the old one did, but short of that, it's going to take most everything else. And if Class 10 is judged by the ability to shrug off a Lance Strike from orbit and sheer weight, I have a few subs to report.

I've made a study of making armor for years so I feel confident in speaking on this, at length, in order to show that further dev is absolutely superfluous.

When you take standard plate armor/mando 'gam and do as I am, it is becoming thin enough and less shaping enough it warrants that it is lighter coverage and might not stop attacks from coming in. You're taking 3/4" plates, and reducing them to 1/4" or 1/2" and reducing the range of coverage. Logically, quality drops because there is just less material to stop. I'm taking stupendously over thick plates and reducing their thickness by a considerable margin, but not enough to make them any thinner than a standard plate armor. They are (though I didn't do the exact figures) likely still going to be thicker, and thus heavier, than standard mando armor, and still apt to be heavier than a fully inclusive suit of plating made of beskar or phrik.

The standard set of mandalorian armor in beskar, cannonically, weighs roughly 10-15 kg depending on source and coverage area.... Standard being either Boba or Jango style, depending on who you're talking to. Considering the wealth of material available to us in Open Seasons, I tend to think the Jango layout is more like to 'standard' style, and Boba is a 'light' variant. Allowing for the difference in weight from departure of 'standard' Jango set to something full inclusive like Neo-Crusader or this suit, it's fair to estimate 25kg in full beskar with weapons, etc..

So, at 35-40kg (which I put this at 40kg) You are still looking at enough extra material to make another entire suit of Jango/"standard" mando style armor added to this suit in the form of extra thickness from standard proportions. How that extra material ends up less than Class 10, or how lessening it to that point lessens the quality, makes no logical, scientific, or metallurgic sense. The reduction in thickness in weight in no way is significant enough at 40kg to require further dev. 30 kg I could see. But this is a master beskarsmith, re-tooling a masterwork suit, and I think he knows enough about beskar to keep it in line, so to speak.

The quality of armor doesn't come solely from thickness of material in any sense. If that weren't true, jousting would never have taken off quite like it did, or it wouldn't have been done on horses, because the armor would have become ponderously thick and heavy just to keep them better protected. Protection afforded via armor comes in large part from tempering, annealing, and the like during the raising, dishing, and planishing and forging. After a certain point thickness becomes overkill, and the prior suit was purely overkill, a massive lumbering hulk of super-heavy armor because that was the intent behind it.

Again, if you can show me any scientific reason why a reduction in plate thickness causes a reduction in quality, we can talk. Otherwise, i'm going to be sticking to my guns on 40kg being *way* more than enough of the metal to warrant Class 10.

Ijaat Akun said:
[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - That is not how plate armor works... At all.... When you have massive 3"-4" plates and you shave them down and shape them as I am doing for this suit, there would be *no reduction* in quality appreciable in respect to protection from what it is designed against. The new suit might not stop an super laser or survive an orbital bombardment like the old one did, but short of that, it's going to take most everything else. And if Class 10 is judged by the ability to shrug off a Lance Strike from orbit and sheer weight, I have a few subs to report.

I've made a study of making armor for years so I feel confident in speaking on this, at length, in order to show that further dev is absolutely superfluous.

When you take standard plate armor/mando 'gam and do as I am, it is becoming thin enough and less shaping enough it warrants that it is lighter coverage and might not stop attacks from coming in. You're taking 3/4" plates, and reducing them to 1/4" or 1/2" and reducing the range of coverage. Logically, quality drops because there is just less material to stop. I'm taking stupendously over thick plates and reducing their thickness by a considerable margin, but not enough to make them any thinner than a standard plate armor. They are (though I didn't do the exact figures) likely still going to be thicker, and thus heavier, than standard mando armor, and still apt to be heavier than a fully inclusive suit of plating made of beskar or phrik.

The standard set of mandalorian armor in beskar, cannonically, weighs roughly 10-15 kg depending on source and coverage area.... Standard being either Boba or Jango style, depending on who you're talking to. Considering the wealth of material available to us in Open Seasons, I tend to think the Jango layout is more like to 'standard' style, and Boba is a 'light' variant. Allowing for the difference in weight from departure of 'standard' Jango set to something full inclusive like Neo-Crusader or this suit, it's fair to estimate 25kg in full beskar with weapons, etc..

So, at 35-40kg (which I put this at 40kg) You are still looking at enough extra material to make another entire suit of Jango/"standard" mando style armor added to this suit in the form of extra thickness from standard proportions. How that extra material ends up less than Class 10, or how lessening it to that point lessens the quality, makes no logical, scientific, or metallurgic sense. The reduction in thickness in weight in no way is significant enough at 40kg to require further dev. 30 kg I could see. But this is a master beskarsmith, re-tooling a masterwork suit, and I think he knows enough about beskar to keep it in line, so to speak.

The quality of armor doesn't come solely from thickness of material in any sense. If that weren't true, jousting would never have taken off quite like it did, or it wouldn't have been done on horses, because the armor would have become ponderously thick and heavy just to keep them better protected. Protection afforded via armor comes in large part from tempering, annealing, and the like during the raising, dishing, and planishing and forging. After a certain point thickness becomes overkill, and the prior suit was purely overkill, a massive lumbering hulk of super-heavy armor because that was the intent behind it.

Again, if you can show me any scientific reason why a reduction in plate thickness causes a reduction in quality, we can talk. Otherwise, i'm going to be sticking to my guns on 40kg being *way* more than enough of the metal to warrant Class 10.
If you do not feel that this assessment was fair or correct you may request a second chance in the Second Chance thread located in the Factory Discussion. This judgement is based both off of the amount of mass being removed from the armor (half) and balance.

[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"] - I will happily request a Second Chance then. Sometimes 2+2 != 4 when dealing with science, even though we'd really like it to. There is no way I will believe reduction of half mass magically drops the quality when armor much thinner, much less covering, is still accepted at Class 10 here on Chaos.

Netherworld

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Hello there. I'll be taking this over from your previous judge as you've requested a second chance. :)

Now, I have given both the original submission and this one a thorough read, and while I don't believe that shaving off the excess weight requires more dev, there are a number of issues I've run into.
Chief among these is weight. The systems/weaponry on this suit amount to 45.5 - 48 kg (depending on the cannon being loaded or not).

You state you wanted to reduce it to 40 kg. The whole suit. My above math already puts this suit well over your desired weight, and that's not counting the armor itself. Since it's still full plate, and has thicker-than-normal plating, I'd put the armor itself at a solid 25 kg, if not more.

Sum total: 70.5 - 73 kg

I believe you can see what my issue is here. If you want the weight reduction from the original 85 kg to 40 kg, this will need some heavy reworking still.

There is also the issue of the temperature regulator, which is a system used onboard a starfighter. With that in mind, its appropriation to a much, much smaller scale would need work as well. There's no mention of it being used outside ships, and the issue of the regulator's size would play into this as well. You can either find a replacement with a similar function that applies to armor, or remove the regulator and its effects in their entirety.

With all of this in mind, I'll have to ask for additional dev given the substantial increase in strength and speed. The original 10 post dev satisfies the beskar forging requirement, but certainly not the strength amplification of this power armor. This is a very powerful suit of armor in all aspects of the word, and as such I believe it requires 10 more posts of development. I'd suggest dealing with the systems removal in these 10 posts, so as to justify the reduction in weight and such.

Tag me with your thoughts. :)

[member="Netherworld"] - These reasons I can easily and readily agree, one they were pointed out, give reason to expand dev. If you can give me 24-36 hours (shouldn't need more than 12 really, but I always plan for the worse with my job) I will look over what you have posted and make needed tweaks and tag you when those have been done?

To be clear: I'm fine to do more dev under the reasons pointed out in your post. But just solely because the beskar was being made thinner and lighter weight was unacceptable, when there are suits approved that weighed under 10kg and were Class 10.

As well, for the weight, given the sub's weapons are modular, I was only weighing the beskar/armor and vital systems that couldn't be swapped out. Yes, with equipment it's going to be almost double. If it works better, I can do a 'naked' weight of the suit without weapons equipped like the shoulder-cannon, etc.. And then a 'full weight' with those systems included? I hadn't thought of the confusion in that until it was mentioned.

Netherworld

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Yeah, splitting the weight into a "armor-only" and "full loadout" would be very beneficial in this case. :)

As for the rest, take your time, and tag me when you've figured out what you want to do and how you'll go about it.

[member="Netherworld"] - Put up the dual weight (40 Unloaded, 73 Loaded) let me know if those are satisfactory, if not I can flex more. Removed the temperature regulator as with the other systems, it was honestly superfluous. If he is in the armor long enough for liquid, gas, and other measures to cause it to fail, I suppose he has other issues to worry about really.

If you don't require any further tweaks or changes, I will start on that dev this Friday/Today, and should have it completed by the weeks end at the extreme end, likely by tomorrow night I hope.

Netherworld

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Looking good!

I see you edited the strength/speed enhancement back up to x5, however, which wasn't what we discussed. That's a massive increase.
The submission I reviewed and felt was suitable for an additional dev of 10 was x3. If you want x5, you'll have to do significantly more work than that.

[member="Netherworld"] - No, that wasn't an attempt at a sneak edit... That's my fauly copying/pasting from multiple word doc iterations of this suit (seriously.. I have like 5+).. Strength and speed are down to three.. 5x would be seriously tweaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom