Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MH-EW28 EM Field Generator Turrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create fancy Ewar Tech for Mandal Hypernautics

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: MH-EW28 “EM Field Generator Turrets”
Affiliation: Mandal Hypernautics, Mandalorian,
Modularity: None
Production: Mass Production
Material: Alusteel, Electronics, Stuff

Description:

A sister design to the MH-EW26 Sensor Scrambler, the MH-EW28 is a point defense turret designed for use on capital ships. Unlike the Sensor Scrambler Turret, the EM Field Generator forgoes the tactic of interfering with the guidance systems of an offending missile and instead projects an Electromagnetic field in a manner similar to the Gravity Well produced by a GWP. It is similar to a gravity well projector in that a specific area of space is targeted and effects any ships/warheads that fly through it.

It creates a 200 meter diameter electromagnetic field centered over a single area in space that projects multiple fluctuating pulses similar to an EMP bomb. This field exists for so long as the turret remains powered and active and is (relative to the projecting ship) immobile in space. The turret is most often only activated for 5-12 seconds at a time and is followed by at least 6 seconds of inactivity before being operable a second time.

While the EM Field Projector is strong enough to effect any ship smaller than a corvette, it is only intended to disable missiles. Particularly large Dropships and Light Freighters may be able to withstand the effects of the EM field at the edge of the projector's effective range. Similarly, Insulated/shielded electronics can help, to an extent. They would make a target's systems better protected from the fluctuating electromagnetic field. But even these shielded systems have a chance of being disabled by the field if they don't get out of it fast enough of they fly through the center of the field.

With a slower tracking speed than the MH-EW26, the EM Field Generator forgoes individual missile targeting in favor of area denial tactics. Tied into the IFF and threat acquisition system of the ship itself. Individual threats can be identified and tracked by the equipped vessel and the MH-EW28 EM Field Generator Turrets can be used to target and disable the offending missiles, warheads, or fighters. Alternatively, a basic passive scanner built into the turret can detect the guidance and lock-on signal of an approaching warhead. In this case, the turret will then track the source of the signal and target the offending warhead.

Whichever means of identifying and targeting used to acquire a target, the defensive weapon then plots and predicts the path that a target or group of targets will take and projects an Electromagnetic field in the center of that path. Once a missile, warhead, or small craft flies through the projected energy field, most targets will suffer complete system failure as electrical and electronic components shut down.

Classification: Defensive Turret
Size: Ship-Mounted
Effective Range: Short Range (standard point defense ranges)
Value: 1 Point Defense Battery

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

Um... Kiiiinda. It produces an electromagnetic field with fluctuating pulses. Think of it as an EMP bomb that can generate multiple EMP's at a single location for as long as the turret is activated. It functions very similarly to a gravity well projector in that a specific area of space is targeted and effects any ships/warheads that fly through it.

The big difference though is scale and range. The weapon can only effect missiles and sub-capital ships like fighters, bombers, and Light Freighters.

Insulated/shielded electronics can help, to an extent. They would make a target's systems better protected from the fluctuating electromagnetic field. But even these shielded systems have a chance of being disabled by the field if they don't get out of it fast enough of they fly through the center of the field.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061216031218/starwars/images/5/5c/Interdictor_Cruiser_1.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. Can you work your explanation into the description please? I like that extra detail.

Additionally, what is the rate of fire of these systems?

[member="Captain Larraq"]

These would have a very slow rate of fire for point defense. They would typically project an EM field over a single area for 5-12 seconds, followed by a 6 second inactivity time while each turret acquires and tracks a new target before firing again.

Uuuuuh.... It hadn't actually occurred to me to give it a specific AOE range... Um... It's an entire battery's worth of point defense focused on a single spot in space at a time... How's a 200 meter diameter effect sound?

Hrmm... I'd be more comfortable with it at 100 meters. Otherwise, a small number of these things could blanket an area the length of a Star Destroyer, which seems a tad much.

Your thoughts?

Eh. I'm hit and miss on this one. Space (and the relative ranges at which starship combat takes place) is pretty darn big. 100 meters is a big deal on a planet, but in space it's kinda tiny. Like... I see Assault Concussion Warheads as having the same firepower as the MOAB that America tested. That had a 300 meter diameter blast radius and it was just a conventional explosive. The FOAB had a 600 meter diameter blast radius, but it's debated on if they used conventional explosives or a fuel-air mix.

Anyway... I just feel that 100 meter diameter is a bit small for what this does. I just think that area of effect weaponry should cover a wider area than an precision explosive... but then again, explosives are AOE weaponry as well... Uh... could we bump up the diameter or decrease the weapon value?

I can stand increasing the blast diameter to 200 meters. You're right, that in space ranges tend to be skewed towards the higher end. Technically, though, I guess your example of explosives doesn't work well because conventional explosives don't work in space. :)

Either way, go ahead and make the edit to include the diameter, and I'll approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom